• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Come to think of it, all of the new gametypes that were introduced in Reach are ass. That new flag one isn't even in matchmaking anymore, right?

Give me some glorious screenshots tomorrow, 343.

My fav thing about halo trailers (even more if they have some gameplay) is looking at all the screen caps, I remember when I lurked the site to go image by image of the beta trailer, pure CRAZY speculation.

sogood.gif

Blueblur1

The only new gametype that doesn't exist in matchmaking anymore is Bro Slayer.

Odd. I guess the weighting for it is super low then? I haven't seen it in MM for months and usually play a little bit of everything except MLG, Swat and the other Community Playlists.

many may not agree with me, but i think stockpile and headhunter can be 2 very good modes. they just need a bit of tweeking. stockpile shouldnt have random flag placements and headhunter, you shouldnt be able to produce skulls by killing your own teamates (and i prefer the pro variant over the regular. both team and ffa are/were fun)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Come to think of it, all of the new gametypes that were introduced in Reach are ass. That new flag one isn't even in matchmaking anymore, right?

I'm expecting them to honour Reach's great contributions to the series multiplayer by having a new gametype which pays homage to a Reach classic in Halo 4.

Introducing Hot Flag.

It's exactly the same as Flag (in one and two flag variants), except the Flag explodes randomly. It might explode if you are carrying it, returning it or even walking past next to it.

It's ca-razy! Based on the critically acclaimed and innovative Hot Potatoe multiplayer mode from Halo Reach, Hot Flag will explode it's way on to the battlefield this Fall with Halo 4 on the Xbox 360.

Blueblur1

I'm expecting them to honour Reach's great contributions to the series multiplayer by having a new gametype which pays homage to a Reach classic in Halo 4.

Introducing Hot Flag.

It's exactly the same as Flag (in one and two flag variants), except the Flag explodes randomly. It might explode if you are carrying it, returning it or even walking past next to it.

It's ca-razy! Based on the critically acclaimed and innovative Hot Potatoe multiplayer mode from Halo Reach, Hot Flag will explode it's way on to the battle this fall with Halo 4.
:lol

I think I've mentioned this before, but I truly hope 343i don't feel the need to match the feature list of Halo 3 or Reach, which after all represented a slow evolution over a decade.

Just give us the multiplayer basics, honed to a keen finish. Five perfect small arenas, a couple of mid-sized maps, three perfect BTB spaces. Don't fret about Invasion or Arena or Zombies or Grifball or any of that stuff. Get the bones and nerves of multiplayer right, and we'll trust you when you start packing on fat and muscle. If this means Saved Films, Forge, 'Player Investment', whatever have to be trimmed right back, so be it.

All I want are ten maps I can live in for a year or more, and fundamentally fun and fair mechanics that make me never want to leave them.

So depressing, especially when there are two dedicated zombie simulators called 'Left 4 Dead' and 'Left 4 Dead 2' that are among the finest multiplayers games ever made.
Quoted for truth and the new page.

Hot Potato's actually a cool idea, just badly executed. Make the ball have a set timer that everyone on the map can see, after which it explodes even if no one's carrying it. Hilarity, and even strategy, will ensue.

Edit: also, have it only appear on symmetrical maps with one, central bomb spawn location. Done.

This post made me cry...

Invasion was designed around loadouts, progression, and increased depth, breadth and verticality as you progress from phase to phase. No class is any more useful that another, and each class is counterable. Invasions default loadouts are perfect, and I wouldn't touch them even given the opportunity.
(I wish I could say the same about other playlists)

Invasion is one of the only, if not the only game-type that works with Vanilla, unaltered Halo Reach. It hasn't even required a playlist update, ever (excluding the bomb arm-time=disarm-time fix on breakpoint).

If I could be bothered, I would go on the whole 'Competitive' rant, but I need sleep.
Nah. I'll disagree. I like the concept of Invasion. But I dislike what happened with it in Reach. On the paper it sounds like the best things of Halo united. Objective and Slayer. The conversion is terrible. One of the reason are the loadouts. I hate them. I want a gametype where I must work with a team to reach the goal. Nope. Not happening. "Hey, I can respawn with a sword?! OMG! OH FUCK YES! IT IS FREAKING AMAZING OMG!" says Player 1. Player 1 tries to kill people. Player 1 doesn't care what the rest of his team is doing. Player 1 sucks. The team of Player 1 lose. Why? Because the half of the team is like Player 1. The last stage loadouts seduce the new player to go on a ego trip. It sucks.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I truly hope 343i don't feel the need to match the feature list of Halo 3 or Reach, which after all represented a slow evolution over a decade.

Just give us the multiplayer basics, honed to a keen finish. Five perfect small arenas, a couple of mid-sized maps, three perfect BTB spaces. Don't fret about Invasion or Arena or Zombies or Grifball or any of that stuff. Get the bones and nerves of multiplayer right, and we'll trust you when you start packing on fat and muscle. If this means Saved Films, Forge, 'Player Investment', whatever have to be trimmed right back, so be it.

All I want are ten maps I can live in for a year or more, and fundamentally fun and fair mechanics that make me never want to leave them.

So depressing, especially when there are two dedicated zombie simulators called 'Left 4 Dead' and 'Left 4 Dead 2' that are among the finest multiplayers games ever made.
I agree. Give me good maps which I can have fun with until the next Halo. And it doesn't mean that other gametypes are dying because of it. There can be still (developer)-modded version of the maps for Zombies etc.

Guyz, guyz... I think I got it right.

People like Invasion *looks at population*

Some people dislike Invasion *looks at thread*

Invasion costs too much resources even when we're talking about three years long development cycle *looks at BTB playlist*

Solution: HIRE MORE PEOPLE.
Do you really think the population says that people like the gametype? Why do people play Zombie? Easy kills. Why do people play Invasion? Hopes for the last stage to get power weapons and easy kills. Why will people play BTB heavy? To get easy kills.

I remember when people cried that their camping spots got deleted in Zombies. For them it wasn't Zombie anymore. Fyrewulff posted these comments here or at twitter.

Arnie

Introducing Hot Flag.

It's ca-razy! Based on the critically acclaimed and innovative Hot Potatoe multiplayer mode from Halo Reach, Hot Flag will explode it's way on to the battlefield this Fall with Halo 4 on the Xbox 360.

Sounds great man, AR starts?

One thing 343 really should consider, regardless of how many gametypes or modes or whatever ship with Halo 4: explain the rules. Have a little screen while loading the match that tells people the basics of the game they are about to play, including timers and score-to-win and so on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
One thing 343 really should consider, regardless of how many gametypes or modes or whatever ship with Halo 4: explain the rules. Have a little screen while loading the match that tells people the basics of the game they are about to play, including timers and score-to-win and so on.

Pffft. No. You can just figure it out by playing eight years of counter strike mods.

Heck no, that would break shit.

But how am I going to live my dreams of role playing as a Elite Warrior who stops the tyrants from taking my flag when I cant even roll. I want to feel like an Elite man, Evade needs to go in.

Pffft. No. You can just figure it out by playing eight years of counter strike mods.

So what your trying to say is... that Halo 4 is a Counter Strike mod thats been in the making for 8 years!??

Woah, thats an interesting approach 343.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So Corrinne Yu is saying Halo 4 is the best looking game on the Xbox, guess we shall see soon enough :p

Corrine is expressing pride in the team in a twitter character limit, mostly to her colleagues. At no time will you ever hear us 'officially' represent the game in those terms. So uncrank your hype handles a couple of turns.

Like how my three year old is the cleverest girl in the world. Let us revisit my statement after she graduates from DeVry.

Nah. I'll disagree. I like the concept of Invasion. But I dislike what happened with it in Reach. On the paper it sounds like the best things of Halo united. Objective and Slayer. The conversion is terrible. One of the reason are the loadouts. I hate them. I want a gametype where I must work with a team to reach the goal. Nope. Not happening. "Hey, I can respawn with a sword?! OMG! OH FUCK YES! IT IS FREAKING AMAZING OMG!" says Player 1. Player 1 tries to kill people. Player 1 doesn't care what the rest of his team is doing. Player 1 sucks. The team of Player 1 lose. Why? Because the half of the team is like Player 1. The last stage loadouts seduce the new player to go on a ego trip. It sucks.

I agree. Give me good maps which I can have fun with until the next Halo. And it doesn't mean that other gametypes are dying because of it. There can be still (developer)-modded version of the maps for Zombies etc.

Do you really think the population says that people like the gametype? Why do people play Zombie? Easy kills. Why do people play Invasion? Hopes for the last stage to get power weapons and easy kills. Why will people play BTB heavy? To get easy kills.

I remember when people cried that their camping spots got deleted in Zombies. For them it wasn't Zombie anymore. Fyrewulff posted these comments here or at twitter.

:lol no, stop right there. I play invasion with people who play it seriously, the entire invasion gametype is based around strategy (each fireteam fits it's role, loadouts has pros and cons...) please don't compare it to MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES :/

Seriously what kind of strategy do you want people to use when playing zombies? Obviously people were crying about how they couldn't camp anymore.

The entire zombie gametype is pretty much built around taking camping spots and getting easy multi kills.

herp derp people play invasion because of power weapons hurr

That's a two page invasion conceptualization you got there, don'teven compare it to zombies.

Obviously you will step with kids who don't what the shit they're doing, Anniversary playlists are full of them.

wwm0nkey

Corrine is expressing pride in the team in a twitter character limit, mostly to her colleagues. At no time will you ever hear us 'officially' represent the game in those terms. So uncrank your hype handles a couple of turns.

Like how my three year old is the cleverest girl in the world. Let us revisit my statement after she graduates from DeVry.

Dammit Frankie let me believe :(

EDIT: Seriously though I am still hyped either way and I am sure with a 300+ team you guys managed to make the game look great.

I agree (and have said such before), but I don't see it happening. I can see a slight feature cut, but small and in the wrong places.
To be fair the Saved Films, Forge etc are something that's (largely) unique to Halo on consoles, so I can see why they feel they should offer legacy functionality.

TheOddOne

aa3674af196ba71df6778a76ccfa0f4557c8e5a1.png

Yeah, but as Frankie said she is just proud of what the team has accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom