• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Megalo, it seemslike 343 has all the rights over that feature (they released Team Hotshot), what are the odds they'll be using something similar to build gametypes in H4?

That flexibility is something Reach got extremely right, and im willing to bet it was a technical marvel to get going. Im not going to lie, I would be extremely impressed if Halo 4 managed to have some form of Megalo. I would love a version which had a UI we could directly access, but that kind of stuff seems to be Bungie's speciality. Im not sure what I expect from 343 on the whole ancillary features thing. If its something they dont touch I would be fine with that, but it would be cool.

If they are smart, they make most of it available to the public on a per gametype basis, not how it's currently setup on a per playlist deployment basis. People like customization, and as much as Reach expanded on customization form Halo 3, it still left a lot to be wanted. Look at how many people were initially clamoring for a zone field that could set the location names by the radar. Then the stuff that isn't included out of the box could be added later via title update and demand.

Imagine what crazy things people would came up with Megalo, oh god plz!

from other h4 thread

EAIKt.png

sjukz.gif
I hate everyone who wants to destroy my surprise. Why not just wait till tomorrow? It's just one more night. We waited months. And what's better than waking up in the morning, running to the christmas tree, slowly opening the gift 343i lovely wrapped and to scream HALO 4! HALO 4! HALO 4! Yep. Christmas is tomorrow guys, and not later this day.

CyReN

I hate everyone who wants to destroy my surprise. Why not just wait till tomorrow? It's just one more night. We waited months. And what's better than waking up in the morning, running to the christmas tree, slowly opening the gift 343i lovely wrapped and to scream HALO 4! HALO 4! HALO 4! Yep. Christmas is tomorrow guys, and not later this day.

When I was a child my parents let me do 1 present on Christmas eve, this would have been it ;)

but ya can't wait.

FyreWulff

That flexibility is something Reach got extremely right, and im willing to bet it was a technical marvel to get going. Im not going to lie, I would be extremely impressed if Halo 4 managed to have some form of Megalo. I would love a version which had a UI we could directly access, but that kind of stuff seems to be Bungie's speciality. Im not sure what I expect from 343 on the whole ancillary features thing. If its something they dont touch I would be fine with that, but it would be cool.

Like I said, Timesplitters 3 did it beautifully. Actually, one of the guys that worked on TS3 did the AI for Reach. This was on all versions of TS3:

fT3c0.jpg

So it's not like scripting is beyond the abilities of consoles to execute. You were only limited by a memory meter on the top of the screen. I got a fully functional tic tac toe (with win notifications to boot) working in that thing. Took me a day or two, but it worked.

Here's the cached manual for it, via Google

Like I said, Timesplitters 3 did it beautifully. Actually, one of the guys that worked on TS3 did the AI for Reach. This was on all versions of TS3:

fT3c0.jpg

So it's not like scripting is beyond the abilities of consoles to execute. You were only limited by a memory meter on the top of the screen. I got a fully functional tic tac toe (with win notifications to boot) working in that thing. Took me a day or two, but it worked.

Here's the cached manual for it, via Google

I would have loved to see that kind of thing happen with Megalo. It seems like it would be a LOT of work, so sadly im not expecting it from Halo 4, but it would have been a VERY nice extension to the customizability of Reach.

Id take diverse playlists over custom games browser any day.

Last thing i want is some overzealous party leader booting me because he dosnt like me beating him in his own game.

Conor 419

Banned
Id take diverse playlists over custom games browser any day.

Last thing i want is some overzealous party leader booting me because he dosnt like me beating him in his own game.

But on the other hand it also allows for being able to remove people who are trash talking, betraying or just generally ruining lives.

My parents told me every family is doing it this way. They used the present as a form of pressure... We sang every Christmas. I even played a flute once. omg. ALL LIES! MY LIFE IS CONSTRUCTED ON LIES!

It wasn't a flute.

As long as good old uncle Frankie doesnt make us sing, or play the 'flute' to see Halo news tomorrow I will be happy. Since growing up I don't think ive had that 'Christmas is tomorrow feeling', kinda having it now though. :p It sucks because I have work tomorrow lol!

CyReN

My parents told me every family is doing it this way. They used the present as a form of pressure... We sang every Christmas. I even played a flute one Christmas. omg. ALL LIES! MY LIFE IS CONSTRUCTED ON LIES!

If it makes you feel any better my gf parents used to make her and her brother wear matching family sweaters as they opened presents and took pictures until she was 20.

---

Anybody feel like playing Team Objective and just playing Stockpile with me right now?

But on the other hand it also allows for being able to remove people who are trash talking, betraying or just generally ruining lives.

Mute, Boot and Grief

If someone is talking shit and you cant be bothered its REALLY simple to mute them
Betraying is a problem and as far as i can tell the system for booting is sporadic at best but still
And if people are being intentional dicks then grief them back, they will stop or betray you leading to hopefully a boot option.

If the Average halo coummity wasnt the way it is id suggest a Vote to kick option but i can see it having alot of negative effects.

The best way to do it would be to put the people who get booted often with the other people who get booted often. and let the nice folks play together, If the continue to get booted among the booters let them stay with each other, if the booting stops let them rejoin society.

Mute is your friend, so is party chat + mic only voice

As a soon-to-be graduate, please god, I really gotta show some love for the Reach API. By the time I get my project done, there might only be days left to utilise the service.

I'll try and make an executable for ye to download. It might just be a silly distraction for a few minutes :p I really wish I could continue to work on it and expand its use of the API but that's life.

As a soon-to-be graduate, please god, I really gotta show some love for the Reach API. By the time I get my project done, there might only be days left to utilise the service.

I'll try and make an executable for ye to download. It might just be a silly distraction for a few minutes :p I really wish I could continue to work on it and expand its use of the API but that's life.

That would be awesome man! Im still gutted I never got to do that kind thing, seems like a fantastic way to learn how to interface with API's and also learn something like Visual Basic properly.

Ah fair enough lol, that popped up when I googled but didnt really put two and two together!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mute, Boot and Grief

If someone is talking shit and you cant be bothered its REALLY simple to mute them
Betraying is a problem and as far as i can tell the system for booting is sporadic at best but still
And if people are being intentional dicks then grief them back, they will stop or betray you leading to hopefully a boot option.

If the Average halo coummity wasnt the way it is id suggest a Vote to kick option but i can see it having alot of negative effects.

The best way to do it would be to put the people who get booted often with the other people who get booted often. and let the nice folks play together, If the continue to get booted among the booters let them stay with each other, if the booting stops let them rejoin society.

Mute is your friend, so is party chat + mic only voice

Vote to kick is terrible. The way it is now is much better. Have you ever played Rainbow Six or other games with vote to kick on console? That shit is abused to no end.

You seem to understand that a bit though.

I remember the media hyping Haze as a Halo-killer

yeah that worked out well....

Also Killzone way back when.

I remember the media hyping Haze as a Halo-killer

yeah that worked out well....

It was like every new damn FPS was a "Halo-Killer" for awhile, although nobody knew what the fuck that even means.

Now its all about the "CoD Killers". Homefront, MAG, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, etc

Hey, anybody remember Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter? GI was hyping it as Halo-Killer, then they gave it a 3/10 review

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It was like every new damn FPS was a "Halo-Killer" for awhile, although nobody knew what the fuck that even means.

Now its all about the "CoD Killers". Homefront, MAG, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, etc

Hey, anybody remember Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter? GI was hyping it as Halo-Killer, then they gave it a 3/10 review

I LOVED the idea behind the game, unfortunately it was executed very poorly.

Vote to kick is terrible. The way it is now is much better. Have you ever played Rainbow Six or other games with vote to kick on console? That shit is abused to no end.

You seem to understand that a bit though.

Yeah in a ideal environment it would work well but its going to get abused so it sucks.

Also Killzone way back when.

Pretty sure its on the rear of the UK boxart.

I know i read it in some "official" capacity.

I LOVED the idea behind the game, unfortunately it was executed very poorly.

Yeah, me too. Would have loved a great bounty hunter game. That and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter broke my heart.

I've heard a lot of good things about Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, though. Waiting for the HD version on PC.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah in a ideal environment it would work well but its going to get abused so it sucks.

Pretty sure its on the rear of the UK boxart.

I know i read it in some "official" capacity.

Well if you think about it they succeeded. Have you seen a Halo game on a Playstation platform? ;p

TheOddOne

Why the fuck does anything have to kill another thing? Fucking create a great game, with it's own concepts and make it fun to play.

Why the fuck does anything have to kill another thing? Fucking create a great game, with it's own concepts and make it fun to play.

Its just a stupid marketing attempt to piggy back on the success of other franchises more than anything. That said hopefully Halo 4 kills Reach, as in hopefully after 4 comes out everyone forgets that Reach once even existed.

Karl2177

With limited resources, what are you going to sacrifice? Sadly, 343i doesn't have endless resources, so we were discussing what we would cut.

EDIT: Whoa wrong conversation. I need to go through the past page now.

wouldn't it be funny if the first H4 gameplay we get tomorrow is from an invasion match?

No.

Bungie supported Invasion with a new map for it in their DLC, 343 never attempted an Invasion map in either of their two DLC packs after Bungie handed it off, which is a shame since now Invasion is a known factor, it should have had at least one map in one of the packs. Especially with Headlong, which essentially was an Invasion map before Invasion was a retail gametype.

What we end up with is a single DLC map that really showcased what Invasion was capable of, then no effort by 343 to follow up on that.

343 when talking about Invasion in DLC meetings:

l.jpg

They were absolutely bang on the money in not investing yet MORE resources on the silly Invasion mode.

Halo 3 BTB Shipping maps: Valhalla, Sandtrap (started as Invasion map), Last Resort

Oh, so that's why it was absolute garbage then! See, Invasion was ruining Halo maps before it was even in Halo.

One thing 343 really should consider, regardless of how many gametypes or modes or whatever ship with Halo 4: explain the rules. Have a little screen while loading the match that tells people the basics of the game they are about to play, including timers and score-to-win and so on.

Agreed.

On that point, I remember Bungie saying the reason they didn't put damage sliders for each individual weapon was because people would be confused coming into a custom game and have the DMR be three shot when they were used to five shots in MM. Er What? What about when you go into Action Sack and you're moving at half the speed. What about in (I think it's called) Power Slayer when you get a different power up or ability depending on how you get a kill but there is no explanation as to what abilities correspond to what type of kill.

That explanation on individual weapon customisation was such a cop-out. Bungie hasn't really explained how any gametype works, properly on the UI, since Halo 2. An explanation of the rules would be great in the pre-game lobby.

GhaleonEB

Oh, so that's why it was absolute garbage then! See, Invasion was ruining Halo maps before it was even in Halo.

The ironic part is, by pointing that out he's illustrating the point. Bungie tried Invasion with Halo 3, realized they couldn't support it, and scrapped it. They did the same thing in Reach but didn't abort, and the results speak for themselves.

That sucks bro :(

Stop.

FyreWulff

Invasion has been attempted in every game since Halo 2. Here is the Sandtrap postmortem which talks about the extra parts of it that were intended for it. Invasion is one of the gametypes in the Halo 2 Beta that's floating around (along with Headhunter) but you can't actually start it. Zanzibar was the main Invasion map there, E3 2004's Spartans vs Elites gameplay was an early prototype of Invasion. I'm still looking for where the discussion on Zanzibar Invasion went on Bungie's site.

Question guys, with Megalo is it possible to write gametypes that end themselves when it becomes mathematically impossible to win like in oddball and king?

And would it also be possible to write one that ends games with MLG's flag rules at tournaments? If you dont know what that is, in MLG's flag gametypes they run 30 minutes but if the game isnt tied or a team losing by only 1 point gets the enemy flag out of their base, the game ends at the 15 minute mark.

Karl2177

The ironic part is, by pointing that out he's illustrating the point. Bungie tried Invasion with Halo 3, realized they couldn't support it, and scrapped it. They did the same thing in Reach but didn't abort, and the results speak for themselves.

I would love to see how Invasion would work on Zanzibar. Like the Halo 2 E3 trailer that was posted a while back.

IMO Invasion is a good idea, but not suited for PvP. I would love an Invasion styled Firefight.

prince is ready for tomorrow....

Dearly beloved...
We are gathered here today
to get through this thing called embargoes

Electric word, embargoes
It means forever and that's a mighty long time.
But I'm here to tell you,
There's something else,
The reveal

A world of never ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night

So when you call up that shrink in Kirkland, WA
You know the one - Dr Frankie 343
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, baby

Cause in this life
Things are much harder than in the reveal
In this life
You're on your own

And if the elevator tries to bring you down
Go crazy - look for leaks galore

If you don't like the world you're living in
Take a look around you
At least you've got the french

You see I called my old lady,
For a friendly word
She picked up the phone
Dropped it on the floor
(NDA, NDA) is all I heard

Are we gonna let the elevator
Bring us down
Oh, no Let's Go!

Let's go crazy
Let's get nuts
Let's wait for the leaks
'Til they put us in the truck, let's go!

We're all excited
But we don't know why
Maybe it's cause
Bloom is gonna die
And when it does (When it does)
What's it all for (What's it all for)
You better live now
Before Tom Morello comes knocking on your door

Tell me, are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh, no let's go!

Let's go crazy
Let's get nuts
Look for the leaks
'Til they put us in the truck, let's go!

C'mon baby
Let's get nuts
Yeah
Crazy

Let's go crazy
Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down
Oh, no let's go!
Go crazy

I said let's go crazy (Go crazy)
Let's go, let's go
Go
Let's go