• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

orznge

Banned
Since no one answered me when I posted this before: has anyone that worked on the Halo games ever explained why Master Chief was upgraded in some areas and downgraded in others going from CE to Halo 2? For example, he gained the ability to jump from almost any height and land uninjured but the vision that his helmet provides was decreased. Is his suit in Halo 2 an entirely different suit than the one in CE? Given his need for agility on the battlefield, why was he outfitted with something that made him sluggish?

zap

Yeah that was nice, thanks everyone for hanging out.

Managed to do several seemingly impossible ones today, only have one left to do now, the 3 kills as a zombie Anniversary one.

http://i.minus.com/is8ITu1RBesOi.JPG[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iVEU75KvYQCka.JPG[IMG]

Got credit banned though. That hurts.. :( :( :([/QUOTE]

Thanks for the games guys. 1700/1700

Feels good man.

Havok

I'll check out the map if other people want to. I should be available tomorrow afternoon. I have a couple of the MM variants, but you can find them here(thanks to FyreWulff)

EDIT: You can also pick them up here, assuming Waypoint decides to load.
Thanks for the links, and I appreciate you taking a look - I don't even know if the thing is worth working on at this point, I'm too close to it to tell. I can't imagine what making an entire game is like.

CyReN

l9DcY.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tomorrow might be interesting.

I ignored a few invites as I idled in the lobby. I was watching this, which rumbled across my Twitter feed via the PA Report. It's one of the greatest talks I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

Check the Halo 4 thread.

Hmmm.

I kind of hope MS shuts that shit down. I want a full and proper blow out at this point.

Striker

Played a couple games of objective tonight. Why is it being changed to 5v5? Seems okay the way it is. ????
Is all the changes going to be 5v5 and Evade removed? It would be great for other maps to be included in, or at least garbage like Flag Slayer and its hated friends got removed. None of those will happen for the foreseeable future, though.

Computron

Since no one answered me when I posted this before: has anyone that worked on the Halo games ever explained why Master Chief was upgraded in some areas and downgraded in others going from CE to Halo 2? For example, he gained the ability to jump from almost any height and land uninjured but the vision that his helmet provides was decreased. Is his suit in Halo 2 an entirely different suit than the one in CE? Given his need for agility on the battlefield, why was he outfitted with something that made him sluggish?

Not sure if your trollin'.

:-/

Your question was answered, it's very simple. It's a game and above all else, gameplay matters the most. The did try to justify some of the new mechanics by showing him get a new suit at the beginning of halo 2, but it was more of an opportunity to teach the player about the new rebounding health and faster shield recharging.

It's always funny to see justification for retconned features. They were actually talking about this on the last Sparkcast, about how his suit has changed in halo 4 and they are going to make master chief feel much heavier and more powerful. I look forward to seeing how they write his new thrusters into the story. :)

Computron

I was watching this, which rumbled across my Twitter feed via the PA Report. It's one of the greatest talks I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

Definitely a great talk, it makes me even more excited to see what kind of new tools companies like Autodesk, Pixologic and Epic (Unreal Engine 4!) are going to be showing next week at GDC.

The presenters ideas also echo a lot of the ideas that Bungie was talking about with Gamasutra about their new tools for Destiny. Its got me excited for what's new in Halo 4 as well given the new studio, 343, and what Frankie was saying on the sparkcast about dropping preconceived notions with regards to design in Halo 4. Here's hoping they really shook things up with Halo 4!

Spent a few hours tweaking and making sure all the gametypes worked on a map that I started working on about a year ago: Lynched, was thinking of submitting it if people liked it. Since ForgeGAF is dead, I dunno how easy it'll be for me to get films (especially since I don't have the matchmaking variants currently). Guess I'm looking for feedback if anybody regularly does customs and needs new maps. Supports 8-12 people, 2 teams only. Slayer variants, all Flag and Bomb variants, Oddball, KOTH, Territories (incl. 3 Plots), Stockpile, Headhunter, Juggernaut (I guess), Infection (but no Safe Havens - if Fyrewulff reads this, is that a requirement?), etc. supported. Everything but Invasion and Race. Seemed to be fine on 2 player split when I tried it out, has almost 5k budget left.

We (That is me, Xand, Zalinkrow, Hydra, Elzar, Heckfu) play customs pretty regularly. I don't know where you live so time zones may be a problem (we are mostly Euro people) but when you see me or any of these guys online on Reach, send a message and we'll try out your map!

We (That is me, Xand, Zalinkrow, Hydra, Elzar, Heckfu) play customs pretty regularly. I don't know where you live so time zones may be a problem (we are mostly Euro people) but when you see me or any of these guys online on Reach, send a message and we'll try out your map!

I think we should kick Holland out of Europe, see what I did there? Do you see? Lol.

Shadders

Not sure if your trollin'.

:-/

Your question was answered, it's very simple. It's a game and above all else, gameplay matters the most. The did try to justify some of the new mechanics by showing him get a new suit at the beginning of halo 2, but it was more of an opportunity to teach the player about the new rebounding health and faster shield recharging.

It's always funny to see justification for retconned features. They were actually talking about this on the last Sparkcast, about how his suit has changed in halo 4 and they are going to make master chief feel much heavier and more powerful. I look forward to seeing how they write his new thrusters into the story. :)

I think the thrusters are easy enough to explain, there'd likely be something like that for moving around in zero-G aboard the Forward Unto Dawn. The Spartan-IIs used similar things to move around outside ships in Fall of Reach.

Oh please, Invasion would be 10x better without loadouts.

I don't know, there'd have to be some kind of abilties to difference roles.

Imo abilities wouldn't have supposed such a big deal if they were:
-more balanced.
-bloom weren't there from the beggining.
-they were restricted to some playlists/maps.
-you weren't so damn slow.

As invasion, a great idea which would've been executed much better.

Tunavi

Banned
I don't know, there'd have to be some kind of abilties to difference roles.

Imo abilities wouldn't have supposed such a big deal if they were:
-more balanced.
-bloom weren't there from the beggining.
-they were restricted to some playlists/maps.
-you weren't so damn slow.

As invasion, a great idea which would've been executed much better.
spawning with shotgun/armor lock inside a close corridor building is a joke. its not like the game plays out differently with different abilities, the gameplay just gets more frustrating.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Invasion gave us Boneyard and Spire. Halo is better off without Invasion.

Loadouts will be staying for sure. Every FPS has them these days.

Shadders

This is my one wish. No loadouts.

Given what we've seen in the announce trailer I think it's reasonable to assume there'll be jetpacks..

I'm still hoping for no loadouts though, maybe have everyone spawn with both sprint and jetpack or have jetpack as a pickup around the map.

wwm0nkey

Just like Invasion, Spire and Boneyard are best not played at all. Under any circumstance.

This.

No parts of those maps are fun at all. Though it is amusing in BTB CTF to go around the left side of Boneyard when you are capturing because they never see it coming because you know its just a huge waste of space.

Just like Invasion, Spire and Boneyard are best not played at all. Under any circumstance.

Just because we've had 2 bad maps for Invasion (Breakpoint is pretty playable in normal gametypes and works well for Invasion IMO) doesn't mean we should just give up on the entire gametype.

What I'd like to see is a battlefield-like approach to invasion. In Reach, the maps used for Invasion are the same maps used for slayer and flag gametypes, without any additions made to the maps. This should not happen.

In Battlefield, maps are slightly modified to make it play better for eathmatch for example and apart from the spawning issues, it works.
The same could be done with Reach's Invasion maps or Invasion maps in Halo 4. Boneyard, as people stated before, has a huge part of the map left unused. The map could be easily modified so that the ship part and the Invasion elite spawn part can be used.

I stayed up all night in hopes of easing sleep tonight.
That way I can wake up early tomorrow morning, do my school thing, then bask in the beauty of Halo 4 all afternoon long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom