• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone playing Reach at the moment? I thought i'd play a bit, so... invite?
Might play without headset though, can't really talk at the moment.
GT Empyrus

FyreWulff

It was fine for Bungie Day.

What's acceptable for a 24 hour thing for funsies might not be acceptable for long term use. Also, from what I remember Urk talking about around Bungie Day, the backend stuff for 3 is a lot more involved and complicated than Reach's backend for flames.

If I were to request something, I'd rather have the weird looking "PRO" nameplate because it looks hilarious and you can't have the flames as an Elite anyway. The only reason I'm a Spartan in Reach is because they browbeat me into it.

Karl2177

When Halo 3 wasn't laggy with 16 people?

Lanned. And fun was had.

What's acceptable for a 24 hour thing for funsies might not be acceptable for long term use. Also, from what I remember Urk talking about around Bungie Day, the backend stuff for 3 is a lot more involved and complicated than Reach's backend for flames.

If I were to request something, I'd rather have the weird looking "PRO" nameplate because it looks hilarious and you can't have the flames as an Elite anyway. The only reason I'm a Spartan in Reach is because they browbeat me into it.
FyreWulff not human confirmed.

Ryaaan14

Banned

But you have to keep in mind that with longterm use comes people just not caring about stuff. If they have something they know they'll only have for one day, they'd be stupid not to use it. However if they know they have it from then on, they'll probably be a little more liberal about it's usage. Especially in the case of flames.

a.) A lot of people wore it in Reach and it has lost it's novelty value to them
b.) Most of the hardcore players won't touch it for the visual disadvantage.

I personally wouldn't see a problem with it, especially with the low population of Halo 3 players.

To be fair you don't even play as much as most of HaloGAF.

Not in Reach, no. Halo 3? Probably did.

Computron

It really wasn't. It was extremely laggy. That was when the game had a good population. The game has now already got severe lag issues, flaming chestpeice could be the nail in the coffin.

Graphical frame rate issues =/= network lag.

a.) A lot of people wore it in Reach and it has lost it's novelty value to them

Blue flames maybe.

Don't shit on my red flame parade though.

Who on GAF has Red Flames in Reach, out of curiosity?

I am up for some Reach, H2vista or Halo 3, campaing or multiplayer.

GT: Vlad356

Not in Reach, no. Halo 3? Probably did.

Might just be me but it wholly depends on the group you're playing with. Midwesties have a distinct advantage when it comes to gaming. Most of the people I play with are East Coast or European while I'm all the way on the West Coast, meaning when it already chooses a subpar host, it's going to be even worse given the vast array of different locations in my party.

Even when I would play alone on H3 I'd run into a lot of people from distant countries, especially given that times that I would play. If I played earlier in the day, I'd be more likely to play those in North America but I was usually on at such a late hour I'd get people in Europe or Australia.

Computron

Flames were part of the network traffic. It didn't matter if it was firebomb grenades, flamethrowers, or flaming helmets; it was getting sent to everyone.

What? really?

wait, IIRC that was why they retired the firebombs, your right.

HALO 4 better have smart firebombs and a flamethrower.

FyreWulff

FyreWulff not human confirmed.

They just have more personality and uniqueness to their animations.

elitenomnom.jpg
(not mine, but it's one of the Bungie.net themeS)

nw_thepower.jpg

fyre_chopper2.jpg

nw_sup.jpg

respekknuckles.jpg

But then again, I guess it helps when you actually have a visible face.

FyreWulff

Wait, was it the Elites that had like a backflip kick hijack animation for people on the prowler? That animation was pretty badass.

Yep. Their boarding animations were, for the most part, much more interesting than the Spartans. Interesting thing about the backflip kick is they'll only do it from one side, so it's a direction-dependent boarding animation in Halo 3.

As much as I love my red flames, I still don't know if they work on elites in Reach.

It works on them, some of the bigger helmets kind of make the flames hard to see though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35722255&postcount=5053

Not a fan of statements like this. Why did I venture over there.

He has a point, Halo has never tried to market itself as being superior graphics wise. I think I like Halo because the developers have always understood that sometimes it makes sense to keep graphics in check to allow gameplay to be king.

That said art direction is a whole nother point. Even though Halo 1 may technically be a generation behind what we have now, it still looks really good and im not even talking about Halo CEA.

He has a point, Halo has never tried to market itself as being superior graphics wise. I think I like Halo because the developers have always understood that sometimes it makes sense to keep graphics in check to allow gameplay to be king.

That said art direction is a whole nother point. Even though Halo 1 may technically be a generation behind what we have now, it still looks really good and im not even talking about Halo CEA.

You make a good point (a first for you perhaps? :p), and it's something I love about bungie, they always push cutting edge, things that that are not prima facie noticeable by the majority of players such as the audio tech for halo 3 or rendering far away objects as places that can be visited (though oddly they usually restrict the player from doing so).

For example:

Waves Audio is taking video games to the next level though with real time signal processing technology. Halo 3 is the first video game to get the audio upgrade.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone playing at the moment? Invite Empyrus if you do. Playing with randoms is hell. Battle Canyon is one of the worst maps ever.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I am up for some Reach, H2vista or Halo 3, campaing or multiplayer.

GT: Vlad356

Hey I believe you said you were interested in playing H3 campaign with Franklinator and I. If we actually end up doing it, let's get some co-op on lol. If we decide to just play Reach or something, you're welcome to join us as well. Whatever makes tomorrow morning come closer

Edit: Over, we found a problem with Refuge earlier. In Headhunter, if someone is killed in the areas where the sniper rifles spawn, the skull(s) hits the ceiling of the structures and disintegrates. The other gametypes work great, though.

Computron

Hey I believe you said you were interested in playing H3 campaign with Franklinator and I. If we actually end up doing it, let's get some co-op on lol. If we decide to just play Reach or something, you're welcome to join us as well. Whatever makes tomorrow morning come closer

Edit: Over, we found a problem with Refuge earlier. In Headhunter, if someone is killed in the areas where the sniper rifles spawn, the skull(s) hits the ceiling of the structures and disintegrates. The other gametypes work great, though.

PM'ed

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Strongside just showed his teaser for his new montage. Looks like it's going to be a Halo 2, 3 and Reach montage combined in one. Gonna be sick!

Woorloog

Banned
Spree of 28 in Infection. Love that. Ran out of ammo, meleed a zombie, became the last man standing and beat a couple more. Caused a damn adrenaline spike....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom