• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computron

Enjoyed the preview for SS teaser. (Jamesssss!)

and Fable Heroes looks terrible.

Hmmm, Google Chrome just did this to your avatar:

PCFsk.png

I'm kidding of course, the best thing about Scotland, is that they produce really nice jam, no seriously, my sister got some from Edinburgh, damn good! Raspberry, strawberry, marmalade, you name it. Glorious stuff.

1 more sleep (and bunch of hours at work :( ), but Halo 4 info tomorrow hype! I really hope its a substantial blowout.

Go pick up SSX tomorrow fool! Xand is challenging...

Arnie

1 more sleep (and bunch of hours at work :( ), but Halo 4 info tomorrow hype! I really hope its a substantial blowout.

Same, on all accounts. I'll wake really early to get all my work done before the blowout, although I've got a meeting a couple hours after it so I can't just wallow in it's awesomeness for any extended period of time.

Hoping for some multiplayer footage more than anything.

I think we'll get a real time cinematic trailer, a substantial Vidoc that includes snippets of multiplayer and of course the full gamut of industry previews.

So the graphics are that good, eh?

But seriously, Halo's main focus has never been the graphics. They do look great, but it's not the key selling point for a Halo game.

No shit it's not the key selling point but that's not my problem with the statement. It's always an all or nothing deal when discussing things with gamers. No they haven't put graphics first but to pretend like they haven't tried to push some boundaries is bullshit. The art direction in campaign has been awesome even while the gameplay or levels are off the mark.

Striker

Boardwalk is not a BTB map. It was put there because there were not enough BTB maps. That's disingenuous at best; like calling The Pit a BTB map.
I think a more reasonable comparison is considering Last Resort a BTB map. It is slightly larger than Zanzibar, and Zanzibar in no way was a BTB map. If there's a considerable amount of large maps, like Halo 2 had, it wasn't forced to used medium sized maps with 16 players. Halo 3 had to do that because they shipped with Sandtrap and Valhalla. Reach didn't necessarily have to, neither, as they had Hemorrhage, Paradiso, Spire, and Boneyard. With proper forging to the Invasion maps, they could've made possible 1-flag/1-bomb gametypes there rather than cramming in items and vehicles for it to become a symmetrical map, instead. Makes zero sense.

Bobs is right. To add to that, I'd take Sandtrap over any of Reach's BTB shipping maps.
So you would take a pile of cow shit over a dog turd.

CyReN

Twas the night before Halo 4 embargoness, when all through the HaloGaf
Not a was gafer was stirring, not even a Frankie
The controllers were hung by the xboxes with care
In hopes that Master Chief soon would be there

------

Doing MLG customs now if anybody interested. Gt - cyren ce

Computron

Halo 2 Vista spam servers strike again!

Everyone joins a dedicated server with a nice BTB Flag game, then next round is a shotguns only on relic... everyone drops out.

fuuu_Busted-s512x386-98509.png

who fucking picks these map rotations?

Ken

There wouldn't happen to be the H4 logo with a transparent background would there? With the words Halo and the 4?

Woorloog

Banned
Just read this: http://m.computerandvideogames.com/337256/features/halo-4-what-we-want-to-see/

Had to laugh when they called Halo's story complex. The games are pretty simple and don't require expanded universe knowledge.

Up front the story is not that complex. But going deeper... there are interesting implications. In Halo CE, the Guilty Spark ask the Chief "why does he hesitate to do what he has already done". To me, this has always been an indicator that Halo (well, sequels) was supposed to contain time travel. Or something similar. Hell, Halo: First Strike has a crystal causing a closed time loop.
Later canon seems to have closed off the time travel though, explanation being a bit different... though still shrouded. Maybe Halo 4 will elaborate.

Halo 2 shows us the Covenant and its internal politics. Politics are always complex... and then there's the interaction beetween characters. Again, the story is pretty simple up front.

Pretty much every Halo has something deeper. Halo Wars least so, IMO, and Reach doesn't have much either... well, apart from the data pads. The rest is stupid retcon.

As for the books, some have deeper implications, especially the Forerunner Trilogy. Most are rather straight forward, IMO.

Complex does not mean "complicated plot" and complex and complicated are not synonyms.

I do admit that the games don't need the expanded universe... hell, any game desinged to require knowledge of the expanded universe is no good. All necessary information must be conveyed in-game, preferrably without "As you Know" and "info dumbs".

Just rewatched the Halo 4 trailer on the marketplace. A couple of observations:

1) There's no Halo 4 listing in the Game Marketplace? I would have thought Microsoft would be raking in the Theme/Gamerpic bucks.

2) Everyone here has been so insistent that those are THRUSTERS that John is using and NOT A JETPACK, but the trailer clearly uses the jetpack sound effect from Reach.

zap

1) There's no Halo 4 listing in the Game Marketplace? I would have thought Microsoft would be raking in the Theme/Gamerpic bucks.

2) Everyone here has been so insistent that those are THRUSTERS that John is using and NOT A JETPACK, but the trailer clearly uses the jetpack sound effect from Reach.

Placeholder, probably.

Woorloog

Banned

Placeholder, use what is available. The MC does not have a "jet pack", the armor clearly has inbuilt thrusters. IE he has a jetpack build into his armor... thrusters and jet pack are thus the one and same in this context.

Re-reading what i wrote, i really need to go to sleep. But i so love listening to music and being lost in my imagination... (It is 4:30AM here).

But the thrusters are active in short bursts. It ain't a jetpack as we know it.

1) It's the jetpack sound.

2) It's not placeholder because it's not the game, it's a CG trailer. To say it's placeholder is implying that they'll come out with a newer version of this trailer with different sound effects (which they could do, I guess, but I doubt that's what you meant).

3) I don't care and I'm not proposing whether jetpacks are in the next game or not, I was just observing that it was the same sound effect from Reach's jetpack.

11 hours 5 minutes...

People keep using that word...I do not think it means what they think it means.

Just making a playful observation.

Observation? You were borderline using predicate logic.

People insisting it IS a thruster.
People insisting it IS NOT a jetpack.

But you casually observe

Sound IS the same sound as the jetpack.

Are we just meant to leave your observation at that or do our minds just fill in the following?

THEREFORE it IS a jetpack in Hired's mind

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1) It's the jetpack sound.

2) It's not placeholder because it's not the game, it's a CG trailer. To say it's placeholder is implying that they'll come out with a newer version of this trailer with different sound effects (which they could do, I guess, but I doubt that's what you meant).

3) I don't care and I'm not proposing whether jetpacks are in the next game or not, I was just observing that it was the same sound effect from Reach's jetpack.

11 hours 5 minutes...

oh, I can 100% confirm we supplied the audio department with the jetpack sound FX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom