• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Suddenly the discussion I had with Xand last night doesn't seem so out of place...
And that was?

Also:

aDdms.jpg

DAT SHIELD FLARE THAT INFORMS ME OF IMPENDING DEATH

Fracas

#fuckonami
no prob, and i'm not sure i like that idea much either, thats why i had the repeated caveat that they would be small boosts. but with perks, i cant imagine that we wont see some of these in the game...

That's my only concern about Halo 4's multiplayer at this point. Everything else looks soooo good, but I just don't know what to think of unlockable abilities and loadouts. Although I shouldn't really say I'm worried, we've barely seen anything so far

Trey

What road? What dance? Are we not aloud to express our honest opinions here? I've said nothing negative about Halo 4, only you guys perceive it that way. The game looks like Reach, to say otherwise would be to live in denial. Again, this criticism is not necessarily bad, it's just people were hyping this to be the next thing since sliced bread and it isn't. Am I now the bad guy for pointing this out and destroying the circlejerk?

Halo 2.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hope these Halo 4 wallpapers are nice, I adore my current wallpaper.

Also, I wonder when we're going to get more solid info. If 343 will release full gameplay videos out there. Also, when can we play it. Probably at PAX. Come to NY!!

What road? What dance? Are we not aloud to express our honest opinions here? I've said nothing negative about Halo 4, only you guys perceive it that way. The game looks like Reach, to say otherwise would be to live in denial. Again, this criticism is not necessarily bad, it's just people were hyping this to be the next thing since sliced bread and it isn't. Am I now the bad guy for pointing this out and destroying the circlejerk?

First bolded is true and no one is hating you because of it.

The second bolded phrase... that's YOUR opinion of OUR opinions. That's silly.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm curious, on what level does it look like Reach? It has:

Better lighting
More Vibrant Colors
It's Cleaner/No Grit
Spartans have a design that feels more natural and less clunky

Get thee behind me, chuckles.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's my only concern about Halo 4's multiplayer at this point. Everything else looks soooo good, but I just don't know what to think of unlockable abilities and loadouts. Although I shouldn't really say I'm worried, we've barely seen anything so far

as long as they arent as powerful and game changing as the reach AA's, i think they'll be fine. i'm more concerned with hearing haloGAF bitch about them till the end of time then how they'll impact my enjoyment of the game ;)

Danis

Neo Member
op_ivy said:
small percentage boost to;
- shield recharge rate
- shield size
- damage dealt

I feel like those three in particular would be game breaking. I'm hoping the perks are in no way related to health or damage.

Trey

From a lore standpoint though: Spartan infighting? Maaaaaaaaan. I was apprehensive when Glasslands dropped S4s on us, but now I firmly dislike the direction thus far.

Retro

No offense, but that sounds absolutely horrible, The main reason I enjoy Halo's multiplayer so much is because every player is on equal footing, and damage/damage resistance buffs to players would ruin the game completely for me

I'm hoping it's mostly quality of life stuff and nothing that drastically affects gameplay.

I'm curious, on what level does it look like Reach?

http://www.paws.org/feeding-wildlife.html

They mentioned perks?

No one at 343 said "Perks", a Eurogamer article dropped the word into their article half a dozen times between Frankie quotes that "This is not Call of Duty" repeatedly. Sounds like they were trying to bait him into it, perhaps.

This thread is moving quite fast, so I just ask thought of this?

2. On-screen icons will point out where weapon pickups are…for a special reason

New in Halo 4 are visual icons that point out which weapons are nearby (similar to Crysis 2 or Gears of War 3, only without the need to hold down a button to scan). This will be useful for newer players who haven’t yet memorized where every gun spawns, but it might also serve a deeper purpose, too. “We mark the shotgun for a reason,” says O’Connor. “There will be a very specific reason why the icon’s there that you’ll learn about later.”

From the interview posted earlier, but not this excerpt.

Tashi

What's the medal next to the assist?

Can it be for landing a headshot(not necessarily one that kills)??

Because he gets 5 points for an assist and at the same exact time as the other 5 points. Interesting. Also, I have to believe that what gametypes we're seeing are standard. I don't see any reason 343 would show wonky gametypes for the first time people see Halo 4. That leads me to believe that points now determine games rather than kills. That's not to say that the more traditional gametypes don't exist and also that the current one won't change.

Ughh this reveal proved to be more of a teaser than anything else.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I like to think developers know better than fans when it comes to making good games.

Players don't know what they want, it's that simple.

Yep, my 3 basic rules about gamers.

1. Gamers don't know what they really want until it's given to them.

2. Everything old is always better than anything new.

3. They will find a reason to bitch about anything, no matter how good it is.

720p? Nice.

Now show me a map with character or feeling and we maybe onto something.

P.S At least Reggie is being honest, unlike most of the sheep within this flock.

Junior is not long for this world.

TheOddOne

No one at 343 said "Perks", a Eurogamer article dropped the word into their article half a dozen times between Frankie quotes that "This is not Call of Duty" repeatedly. Sounds like they were trying to bait him into it, perhaps.
Yep.

Halo 4 perks system introduced
Halo 4's newly unveiled multiplayer perks - which, for the first time in a Halo game will have an impact on the gameplay - aren't a result of 343 Industries chasing Call of Duty and Battlefield, the studio has said.

As part of a slim first look at Halo 4, 343 Industries' first game proper since Bungie departed the series, it's been revealed that you can change every aspect of your Spartan's appearance - and that doing so would influence the way that the game plays.

"I've never worked for Infinity Ward, or Respawn - for years I bet they were asked similar questions about how it's like the multiplayer system in Halo 2 or something like that," franchise director Frank O'Connor told Eurogamer when asked about the new system's similarity to Call of Duty. "We're not chasing anybody else's tail - all the pressure comes from inside."

"What we do take very seriously is changing player habits. So rather than chasing Call of Duty or Battlefield and trying to do their thing and doing it poorly and doing injustice to it, we're trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that's completely compatible with the Halo universe."

"Halo's not Call of Duty," O'Connor continued, "Halo's a sandbox game about really emergent things. A lot of things that worked great about Call of Duty - and don't get me wrong, I was addicted Black Ops all of last year - they do player rewards really well. We're not trying to do the same thing, it's as simple as that. We're trying to do something else, and to push our game forwards and not theirs."

Both O'Connor and creative director Josh Holmes acknowledged that the change could prove controversial amongst Halo's community. "I expect a variety of different reactions," Holmes told Eurogamer, "One of the great things about Halo is we have the ability to support a variety of different play styles and play lists, create experiences that cater to different player types and community desires."

"We've a tremendous amount of respect for Bungie and for the universe that they created, and yet we do want to take our own unique view on Halo and on where we want to take the franchise is in the future. It's about finding the balance so it's still Halo yet still feels fresh."
Frank O'Connor also warned that what's been shown of Halo 4 to date - which, at Microsoft's Spring Showcase, amounted to a run-through of two multiplayer maps alongside a handful of snippets of the game in action - is the more conventional face of 343's take on the franchise.

"What we showed today is in some ways really traditional," O'Connor told Eurogamer. "Some of the more revolutionary stuff that we're going to be doing is going to create more fuss, and I think it's going to be mostly positive fuss, as it's all been carefully thought out and considered."
Eurogamer pretty much tried to bait them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Because he gets 5 points for an assist and at the same exact time as the other 5 points. Interesting. Also, I have to believe that what gametypes we're seeing are standard. I don't see any reason 343 would show wonky gametypes for the first time people see Halo 4. That leads me to believe that points now determine games rather than kills. That's not to say that the more traditional gametypes don't exist and also that the current one won't change.

maybe all the teams medals are shown that effect the score? so, the player got the head shot, and his teammate got the assist (or vice versa, hard to tell), and the team got 10 points?

Well your individual points aren't all necessarily added to the team score. Think like in COD, 100 points are added to the scoreboard for a kill (in deathmatch), but if you get 50 points for an assist, you get those points individually, but those assist points are not added to the scoreboard.

It really was quite the tease. Happy to finally find out about the game, but is this it for now? I mean we've seen one weapon and really just a few short snippets of gameplay.

FyreWulff

This is starting to fly around the interwebs. Confirm/deny? The bulletin seemed to come off like bleedthrough was a seperable component, so it wouldn't make sense that Anniversary Classic would have to lose bleedthrough as well.

annivbleedthroughremova.png

orznge

Banned
This thread is moving quite fast, so I just ask thought of this?

2. On-screen icons will point out where weapon pickups are…for a special reason

New in Halo 4 are visual icons that point out which weapons are nearby (similar to Crysis 2 or Gears of War 3, only without the need to hold down a button to scan). This will be useful for newer players who haven’t yet memorized where every gun spawns, but it might also serve a deeper purpose, too. “We mark the shotgun for a reason,” says O’Connor. “There will be a very specific reason why the icon’s there that you’ll learn about later.”

From the interview posted earlier, but not this excerpt.

It's a good feature, because no one's going and entering tournaments then getting knocked out and saying "we only lost because we didn't know the map layout". It makes it easier to learn maps for the first time.

I don't hate the new armor anymore. It still looks like it jumped straight from Halo Legends into Halo 4, but I don't hate it anymore.

I dunno, I'm gonna need more gameplay footage. Ever since the announcement trailer I've been having the feeling this is just the Package rendered in the Halo engine, and the little gameplay I've seen so far didn't really dissuade me from that. It looks great, don't get me wrong, but something about the visual style just feels off to me.

Hooray for the return of the BR and the disappearance of bloom, though.

Everyone speculating about the scoreboard should note that there are other numbers beside the scoreboard... It's 2-1 to the blue team in the strafing gif.

This is starting to fly around the interwebs. Confirm/deny? The bulletin seemed to come off like bleedthrough was a seperable component, so it wouldn't make sense that Anniversary Classic would have to lose bleedthrough as well.

annivbleedthroughremova.png

Wait what?

Would that not change the Anniversary gametypes drastically?

I am probably the only one out there that wants bloom and armor abilities back in Halo 4. But make them optional. Keep the elements of the core Halo in and also have the availability of the elements that changed the pace of the gameplay. They are great concepts but were poorly executed in Reach. If it is done right, then I would gladly welcome it as an option in Halo 4.

BRING ON THE HATE!!!

Edit: Just saw the perk system. That is one way to do it if properly done.

Yeah, after the long wait I'm bummed we didn't get some MP gameplay, or a trailer. Here's hoping something else may pop up soon.

Anyways, anybody extract any interesting secrets or info from the BTS video?

I am probably the only one out there that wants bloom and armor abilities back in Halo 4. But make them optional. Keep the elements of the core Halo in and also have the availability of the elements that changed the pace of the gameplay. They are great concepts but were poorly executed in Reach. If it is done right, then I would gladly welcome it as an option in Halo 4.

BRING ON THE HATE!!!

The last thing we need is more segmented gameplay in a Halo title.

Sure keep some elements sandbox-y, but I for one don't want another game with 26 different playlists.

Risen

Yep, my 3 basic rules about gamers.

1. Gamers don't know what they really want until it's given to them.

2. Everything old is always better than anything new.

3. They will find a reason to bitch about anything, no matter how good it is.

Junior is not long for this world.

False False and False... oh it might be true for many gamers, but certainly not all gamers. I'd say developers do not ALWAYS know what makes a better game for people to play, in much the same way architects don't always know what makes a great house to live in.

Tashi

Well your individual points aren't all necessarily added to the team score. Think like in COD, 100 points are added to the scoreboard for a kill (in deathmatch), but if you get 50 points for an assist, you get those points individually, but those assist points are not added to the scoreboard.

It really was quite the tease. Happy to finally find out about the game, but is this it for now? I mean we've seen one weapon and really just a few short snippets of gameplay.

That's what's confusing me about the gametype. I don't see how 343 would reveal a special/weird gametype along with Halo 4's coming out party.

It's just coincidence then? The guy's teammate got the kill, the 10 points to add to the score the player we see playing got 10 individual points?

That actually seems like the most likely story now. Still very interesting.

The Anniversary Pistol would become a 4SK..

They can change the damage of the pistol though right? Make it pop shields after 2 shots? this would probably make it 4 shots to the body for a kill though, which would still be terrible.

Anniversary Classic needs bleedthrough, I hope this is a communication error or something.

Raide

BRING ON THE HATE!!!

I am ok with Perks being added, just as long as they make damn sure fans can play without them.

Oh and bring Fiesta Mode back.

And the ranking system from Halo 2 & 3.

The Anniversary Pistol would become a 4SK..

Well that's some bullshit. Hopefully it's not true.

Also, random, but I called their not being a public beta for H4. :p

That's what's confusing me about the gametype. I don't see how 343 would reveal a special/weird gametype along with Halo 4's coming out party.

It's just coincidence then? The guy's teammate got the kill, the 10 points to add to the score the player we see playing got 10 individual points?

That actually seems like the most likely story now. Still very interesting.

Don't think its a fringe gametype, I think the scoring in H4 just works that way.

So yes, the other player gets the kill, 10 points are added to the scoreboard, and the POV player happened to get 10 points individual through an assist and whatever that other medal was.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
False False and False... oh it might be true for many gamers, but certainly not all gamers. I'd say developers do not ALWAYS know what makes a better game for people to play, in much the same way architects don't always know what makes a great house to live in.

Dude, really? Come on man...

And that was?

Also:

aDdms.jpg

DAT SHIELD FLARE THAT INFORMS ME OF IMPENDING DEATH

When your shield flashbangs you it's time to RUUUUUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom