• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bungie didn't realize the space section of Zealot would be exploited. They seriously thought a low-grav, no kill timer, limited entrance, impossible to shoot from below space portion of a multiplayer map wouldn't be a problem.

Reach is hilarious.
That's depressing (and true) as fuck.

Didn't he apparently at a point in development come in over a weekend and redo almost every vehicle in the game from the ground up?

Least productive weekend ever?

Reachs vehicles suck for the most part either under powered or over powered, only the mongoose seems to get it right.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Least productive weekend ever?

Reachs vehicles suck for the most part either under powered or over powered, only the mongoose seems to get it right.
At least we didn't get stuck with the Sage-ified versions. Think about what Sage* did for gunplay. Now think about what he might've done to vehicles.

*I'm not saying he's the sole person at fault. But he is the single biggest influence, it seems.

FyreWulff

It was just for demonstration sake.

And yet they proceeded to deploy it into matchmaking anyway in a "beta" playlist that's never actually been used as a beta.

Maybe if Halo is Microsoft's flagship game, they should start treating it like their flagship game and dedicate more than one programmer to updating it. Halo 3 recieved more support by a company that was no longer part of Microsoft. That company supported the Defiant maps more and better than Microsoft did, and they didn't even make them.

I saw it within the first kill, brought it up and got "oh we're working on it" responses at Halofest, and then months later the TU comes out anyway with a broken NR, broken health bug, and half assed tributes to past Halo games. If Reach was a turd then all 343 did was add more shit on top of it. They didn't fix a single damn bug in the original release and added even more. They started a whole forum that they constantly hawked at Halofest and didn't change a damn thing since Halofest about any of the TU gametypes. Months later we still have a TU beta list, months later we still have no response on the feedback on bleedthrough problems.

Oh lawd. They had 1 dev, and a newbie playlist management. PLUS, they knew about it going into. It was just for demonstration sake.

Poor Microsoft, barely scraping by with their ever looming debt! They have someone that ran matchmaking on their staff. They have to pick and choose if they want to be able to use "newbie dev" excuses or the AAA studio made out of employees with years of experience in AAA studios elsewhere. They had the money to have an actual team put on the update and they did not. Microsoft has clearly decided to throw their money behind Call of Duty and Gears of War and it shows. Hell, they put more people on the last Halo PC update than the Reach update. If this company asks itself in the future "Should we title update this game?" and the answer is "We can, but only with one person", they shouldn't title update their game. And if they do, they should finish the job instead of feeding us the idea that they're actually going to take feedback into account. If they want to call themselves an AAA experienced studio then I'm going to treat them like an AAA experienced studio that should know better.

343 didn't make this game, they tried to patch a turd, quit being a dolt.

Usually people that don't like a game don't play almost 40 games over the past week. Yeah, they didn't make this game. But they sure made this bed they have to sleep in now. Maybe they should have left running Reach to Bungie until Halo 4 came out. The lesson Microsoft should learn here is to never change developers on a game halfway through the trip unless they're going to back it with their full might.

Didn't he apparently at a point in development come in over a weekend and redo almost every vehicle in the game from the ground up?

They had to rebuild all the vehicles for Reach anyway to support the new engine features and fix problems they had in Halo 3. Like the Wraiths' tendency to look like a giant Ghost because it's top half didn't load. They already did a major vehicle rebuild for Halo 2, so a total rework of vehicles about every two games sounds about right.

Ramirez

Usually people that don't like a game don't play almost 40 games over the past week. Yeah, they didn't make this game. But they sure made this bed they have to sleep in now. Maybe they should have left running Reach to Bungie until Halo 4 came out. The lesson Microsoft should learn here is to never change developers on a game halfway through the trip unless they're going to back it with their full might.

How I spend my time is really none of your business, but why don't you total up the amount I've played over the past month or so prior to that week. As bad as Reach is, the alternatives aren't any better, but that speaks as to how sad the industry is as a whole.

feel

Bungie didn't realize the space section of Zealot would be exploited. They seriously thought a low-grav, no kill timer, limited entrance, impossible to shoot from below space portion of a multiplayer map wouldn't be a problem.

Reach is hilarious.

The problem is that they tested all that stuff in extremely friendly environments. Like those LANs with a bunch of great friends where everyone is semi-drunk and stuffed on pizza, and noone cares way too much about about winning but to have a good silly time instead.

343i needs to hire the world's most annoying, arrogant, cocky assholes to test their Halo games.

The problem is that they tested all that stuff in extremely friendly environments. Like those LANs with a bunch of great friends where everyone is semi-drunk and stuffed on pizza, and noone cares way too much about about winning but to have a good silly time instead.

343i needs to hire the world's most annoying, arrogant, cocky assholes to test their Halo games.

Hire Letters.

:p

It worked well with a bunch of bad bungie employees jumping out into space with AR's and dino blasters with jetpacks and camo.

It broke down when good players started 5 shotting with DMR's.

They need me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Great post, Fyrewulff. I don't feel quite so strongly about it, but I agree with what you're saying.

Edit : Meaning, I don't exactly have a lot of confidence in 343 after some of their choices. I can deal with bleed through and the bug'd nerfle, but adding the fucking Banshee to Headlong is just baffling. And the Prisoner spawns. Doesn't leave me feeling too optimistic about Halo 4's playlist management. I hope I'm wrong. I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I think this is a pretty big factor actually, How many playtesters actually behave like dicks during the playtests trying their best to exploit the maps, it cant be alot id be shocked if it was any after my first run of the game and a few multiplayer games i load each map up aswell as campaign and try my hardest to break it in some way.

When reach shipped it had some insane exploits especially with the soft kill barriers.

FyreWulff

By the way, the Community Cartographers are still looking for Heavy variants of maps. The more the merrier.

If you also have 4-split compatible infection map, I'm interested in those as well.

Homeboyd

See this is the kind of
fake
stuff I'm looking for guys!

halo4-leak-screen-shot2.jpg

FyreWulff

What exactly constitutes a "heavy variant"?

Things from this list:

Gauss Hogs (except on maps with FW objects)
Rocket Hogs
Lasers
Falcons
Banshees
Scorpions
Falcons
Banshees
Rocket Launchers

applied to large maps. With the added cover to account for these and all on fast respawns, with DMR start / AR secondary.

Striker

I agree, but I dislike it because it's just a circle. I didn't mind Assembly in all honesty(even crazier is that I didn't mind Orbital either).
Zealot > Assembly in every single way. Not that they are similar outside the Covenant structure, or anything. Assembly was poop.

senador

Banned
And yet they proceeded to deploy it into matchmaking anyway in a "beta" playlist that's never actually been used as a beta.

Maybe if Halo is Microsoft's flagship game, they should start treating it like their flagship game and dedicate more than one programmer to updating it. Halo 3 recieved more support by a company that was no longer part of Microsoft. That company supported the Defiant maps more and better than Microsoft did, and they didn't even make them.

I saw it within the first kill, brought it up and got "oh we're working on it" responses at Halofest, and then months later the TU comes out anyway with a broken NR, broken health bug, and half assed tributes to past Halo games. If Reach was a turd then all 343 did was add more shit on top of it. They didn't fix a single damn bug in the original release and added even more. They started a whole forum that they constantly hawked at Halofest and didn't change a damn thing since Halofest about any of the TU gametypes. Months later we still have a TU beta list, months later we still have no response on the feedback on bleedthrough problems.

Poor Microsoft, barely scraping by with their ever looming debt! They have someone that ran matchmaking on their staff. They have to pick and choose if they want to be able to use "newbie dev" excuses or the AAA studio made out of employees with years of experience in AAA studios elsewhere. They had the money to have an actual team put on the update and they did not. Microsoft has clearly decided to throw their money behind Call of Duty and Gears of War and it shows. Hell, they put more people on the last Halo PC update than the Reach update. If this company asks itself in the future "Should we title update this game?" and the answer is "We can, but only with one person", they shouldn't title update their game. And if they do, they should finish the job instead of feeding us the idea that they're actually going to take feedback into account. If they want to call themselves an AAA experienced studio then I'm going to treat them like an AAA experienced studio that should know better.

They had to rebuild all the vehicles for Reach anyway to support the new engine features and fix problems they had in Halo 3. Like the Wraiths' tendency to look like a giant Ghost because it's top half didn't load. They already did a major vehicle rebuild for Halo 2, so a total rework of vehicles about every two games sounds about right.

You are talking Microsoft while I was talking 343. I agree with you on MS that they should give Halo much more attention than they do, but at the same time they need to let the studio do what it needs to do and getting in the way might cause problems. I doubt MS wanted them to do an update or even care so they did that to try to appease fans and they did it with what resources they had.

Going forward I hope 343 has and will put plenty of people on maintenance teams for things like this and that MS will support them with time and funding.

Why isn't the reticule centered? Is that supposed to be a callback to that early Reach shot with the reticule on the far left for some reason?

Needs a super big red blurb on the radar.

Keep tinkering... this could be fun.

You should throw in the AA's in the HUD and toss a jetpack in there for when this inevitably makes it to the b.net forums.

It had a radar spot actually it some how go lost in editing, hmm

Ill make something new tomorrow, custom hud ect.

Why isn't the reticule centered? Is that supposed to be a callback to that early Reach shot with the reticule on the far left for some reason?

Im lazy i honestly just grabbed the first reticule i could from google images and threw it in and didnt think about centering it.

No, I mean he rebuilt all the vehicles that he already built for Reach in the middle of development.

Not after your recently voiced opinions. :/

Getting closer, still need warthog cliff.

Happy Homeboyd? (click to make bigger)

Well that looks awesome.

PNut

Banned
So, will it be 343 or Bungie to crack first about their new game? I've got Bungie a favorite at 3/2 at this point. Any takers? Toys don't count.

Max bet $3 through paypal. PM if interested.

So, will it be 343 or Bungie to crack first about their new game? I've got Bungie a favorite at 3/2 at this point. Any takers? Toys don't count.

Max bet $3 through paypal. PM if interested.

343 without question.

Personally, I am doubting that Bungie is releasing their new IP for this generation of consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom