• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Jetpack- I dont hate it, though I rarely use it. I think it can be fun and mesh with Halo very well in certain gametypes and maps. Truthfully, I wish Reach had introduced more maps with verticality, maybe some drop off's, etc with the jet pack in mind.

If the Jetpack comes back in Halo 4, it should be re-worked though.

Ramirez

About the Jetpack- I dont hate it, though I rarely use it. I think it can be fun and mesh with Halo very well in certain gametypes and maps. Truthfully, I wish Reach had introduced more maps with verticality, maybe some drop off's, etc with the jet pack in mind.

If the Jetpack comes back in Halo 4, it should be re-worked though.

Do not listen to this. Jetpacks break maps, plain and simple. I don't care if the map is designed for it or not, there's no such thing as map flow/control with multiple jetpack users in a match, it's just a mess.

That game of Asylum last night where dudes were jetpacking off to the ledges in the out of bounds territory to let their shields recharge made me want to break the disc, then I remembered I don't have a disc. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Double jumping is one of my favorite mechanics in gaming, and if the H4 thruster is just a simple boost / boosted jump, I'd be okay with that. I could conceivably see it working in multiplayer, but damn, I'm definitely skeptical about it.

Hey You, I'm still down for an achievement lobby, but I can't host. I have to get stuff done, but could spare an hour if something gets organized.

heckfu

Banned
Do not listen to this. Jetpacks break maps, plain and simple. I don't care if the map is designed for it or not, there's no such thing as map flow/control with multiple jetpack users in a match, it's just a mess.

That game of Asylum last night where dudes were jetpacking off to the ledges in the out of bounds territory to let their shields recharge made me want to break the disc, then I remembered I don't have a disc. :(

agreed. I guess back then I wasn't using bumper jumper either so it makes it impossible to use now, regardless. people abuse it and often a mechanic for the 'those that can't' group to even out the playing field.

also, trounce.jpg

Wow, what a letdown :(

Double jumping is one of my favorite mechanics in gaming, and if the H4 thruster is just a simple boost / boosted jump, I'd be okay with that. I could conceivably see it working in multiplayer, but damn, I'm definitely skeptical about it.

Hey You, I'm still down for an achievement lobby, but I can't host. I have to get stuff done, but could spare an hour if something gets organized.

What time do you guys want to do an achievement lobby?

No, dont get me wrong, I agree, they do break maps. But I think if maps are design with the jet pack in mind, for the jet pack, then its a different story.

I think the problem is, Jetpacks can be fun if you use them, sometimes. It would be weird to have them stripped away completely. I think jetpacks can be stripped down and reworked into something that meshes, like other have suggested more of a quick boost/thrust.

Just to chime in on the controller talk, I would recommend holding off on the MLG controller for a little bit and see if any performance issues arise in the long term. The honeymoon period might be great but you never know if something will crap out in like 2 months. Let other people be your lab rats first, especially on a $100 controller.

I've been using a Razer Onza since May of last year and I'm done, going back to the default 360 controller. Last night I noticed my controller out of no where likes to drag the right stick down without any input. I'll be looking left to right and suddenly my view will start to go down. Unacceptable for a controller touted to be used by the hardcore gamer. This is my third controller (second replacement after I bought the first and both of those had problems too) and enough is enough. I should have listened to GAF when people said Razer products were very poorly built. It really is too bad since I love the features on the Onza but when it comes to reliability you can always count on official controllers even if they don't have all the bells and whistles.

The worst part of that situation is that I've been using a control scheme the entire time that can only work on the Onza because of the extra mappable bumpers. Going back to the default 360 controller I've realized that my muscle memory is completely fucked.

Just to chime in on the controller talk, I would recommend holding off on the MLG controller for a little bit and see if any performance issues arise in the long term. The honeymoon period might be great but you never know if something will crap out in like 2 months. Let other people be your lab rats first, especially on a $100 controller.

I've been using a Razer Onza since May of last year and I'm done, going back to the default 360 controller. Last night I noticed my controller out of no where likes to drag the right stick down without any input. I'll be looking left to right and suddenly my view will start to go down. Unacceptable for a controller touted to be used by the hardcore gamer. This is my third controller (second replacement after I bought the first and both of those had problems too) and enough is enough. I should have listened to GAF when people said Razer products were very poorly built. It really is too bad since I love the features on the Onza but when it comes to reliability you can always count on official controllers even if they don't have all the bells and whistles.

The worst part of that situation is that I've been using a control scheme the entire time that can only work on the Onza because of the extra mappable bumpers. Going back to the default 360 controller I've realized that my muscle memory is completely fucked.
I remember when the Onza came out, everyone was pretty happy with their controller. Lucky I skipped that one. I hope the MLG Controller by MadCatz is good. I like the features and I'm definitely interested in. If the controller has the same quality like one of their Tournament Arcade stick, then I'm happy that I finally can buy a quality controller and put the Halo controller to my other Halo Stuff. (And I want a wired controller again.)

Probably just announcing the next line of Official MLG Reach Controllers™.
If the player press the big button, thousand nukes will be thrown right?

No, dont get me wrong, I agree, they do break maps. But I think if maps are design with the jet pack in mind, for the jet pack, then its a different story.

I think the problem is, Jetpacks can be fun if you use them, sometimes. It would be weird to have them stripped away completely. I think jetpacks can be stripped down and reworked into something that meshes, like other have suggested more of a quick boost/thrust.

I don't think a map that was designed for the jet pack would ever work without a jet pack so it would basically only be playable in one Boba Fett Playlist/Game type.

wwm0nkey

So I just hooked up my new PC to my TV and Halo 2 at 1980/1080 and 60FPS is glorious, people are actually playing it again too :D

So I just hooked up my new PC to my TV and Halo 2 at 1980/1080 and 60FPS is glorious, people are actually playing it again too :D
Awesome!

I just hooked up my new 4x2 HDMI switch (from Monoprice). It's pretty badass - 4 inputs going to 2 outputs in any combination I want (including one input to both outputs). All controlled from my Harmony remote (and in surround sound).

Xbox 360
PS3
PC monitor 1
PC monitor 2

46" LCD TV (1920x1080)
28" LCD monitor (1920x1200) (On my desk, right next to the TV.)

I have reached... Nerdvana.

wwm0nkey

Awesome!

I just hooked up my new 4x2 HDMI switch (from Monoprice). It's pretty badass - 4 inputs going to 2 outputs in any combination I want (including one input to both outputs). All controlled from my Harmony remote (and in surround sound).

Xbox 360
PS3
PC monitor 1
PC monitor 2

46" LCD TV (1920x1080)
28" LCD monitor (1920x1200) (On my desk, right next to the TV.)

I have reached... Nerdvana.

Nice :D

Just tried out BF3 with my new rig since I have yet to do that and holy shit.....

senador

Banned
I wish we could at least have an announcement of an announcement for Halo 4. Shitballs, I'd even take an announcement of an announcement of an announcement. Come on 343i!

"On X day we will tell you that on Y day we will tell you that we have a Halo 4 announcement for Z day!"

Yeah I'd take that.

Gui_PT

I'd be ok with a double jump being in halo 4

ibavJ3WppVj9Bs.jpg

TheOddOne

Is this broken enough 343?

I don't know why they keep the Banshee in matchmaking when it's clearly broken... they spent the whole match doing barrel rolls so we couln't really do anything.

They also were abusing the sniper + Revenant exploit and they weren't even a coordinated team. So much spawn killing.

I hope they contact the author or simply remove the map from matchmaking's rotation.
When there's people going +68 and +50 you know something is broken.

This is not the first time this has happened to me on the same map.
I....know this feel bro.

kylej

Banned
Jetpacks are never okay. Get that stupid shit out of Halo please. Halo is at its best with more constrained variables - powerup and weapon times, fixed spawns, symmetrical maps, easily defined callouts, etc. If you build a great framework, each matchmaking game evolves naturally and becomes far more rewarding. The jetpack FFA free spawning bonanza that is Reach sucks a tremendous amount of balls.

I don't mind the jetpacks.

That one time specifically I said don't ignore that guy hes going to come back all he did was jetpack behind the glass where there is a lip of brown land sticking out and then recharge, happens all the time and I use that path often to surprise people at rocks because its such an unusual path.

I even said "Do not ignore that guy he is going to pop back out" - 1.5 seconds later he is on our car and shooting me at Snipehut down to no shields. That team had tags on our sniper at all time and we didn't. Thats the ONLY reason we lost their sniper was able to go +20 and he single handedly won them the game.

Jetpacks did not break that map. Our communication did.

Fuck.

Link to this product please

Map breaking or not Jetpacks and AA's in general just arent fun additions to the sandbox.

I say that as a jetpack whore. I enjoy flying around BUT at the same time while thats fairly fun it was so much more fun when you could rely on the fixed patterns of movement that existed in the game. I probably wont do my point of view any justice right now but I hate what stuff like Evade, Jetpack, Sprint have done to the ebb and flow of gameplay. Its totally changed how players react to eachother and made everything so much duller. In Reach you just dont see people make interesting manouvres to escape, they simply press x/lb and use whatever AA they happened to spawn with.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Tunavi

Banned
Jetpacks are never okay. Get that stupid shit out of Halo please. Halo is at its best with more constrained variables - powerup and weapon times, fixed spawns, symmetrical maps, easily defined callouts, etc. If you build a great framework, each matchmaking game evolves naturally and becomes far more rewarding. The jetpack FFA free spawning bonanza that is Reach sucks a tremendous amount of balls.
This man speaks the truth

Anyone know if you can split a HDMI twice? Like I have a 1 input to 2 output already but I'd like to split the video going to my computer monitor to my large tv too so I can optionally play on either the small monitor or TV?

Striker

In Reach you just dont see people make interesting manouvres to escape, they simply press x/lb and use whatever AA they happened to spawn with.
Care to explain what "interesting maneuvers" there is in this world of pre-Reach? If you mean jumping around and finding the nearest rock to hide behind or cave to dwell in, how is that interesting?

Tunavi

Banned
Care to explain what "interesting maneuvers" there is in this world of pre-Reach? If you mean jumping around and finding the nearest rock to hide behind or cave to dwell in, how is that interesting?
maybe throwing a grenade at the ground at someone chasing you, trick hopping over obstacles, calling out for help from your teammates
anything is more interesting that someone sprinting to their teammates, armor locking, evading across the map, or jetpacking over a wall

I could probably list a half dozen jumps on Guardian alone

maybe throwing a grenade at the ground at someone chasing you, trick hopping over obstacles, calling out for help from your teammates
anything is more interesting that someone sprinting to their teammates, armor locking, evading across the map, or jetpacking over a wall
These all still happen.

Thats an opinion if I've ever seen one.

Not to mention you can throw a grenade at the ground and trick hop over things in Reach...

If anything the level of complexity to movement/chase/escape is increased with evades, sprints, and jetpacks.

Finally are you really complaining about someone going over to their teammates? Really we are now complaining about people using teamwork in Halo?

Tunavi

Banned
Finally are you really complaining about someone going over to their teammates? Really we are now complaining about people using teamwork in Halo?
I did a late edit, but I basically said running away from your battles is annoying and calling out for help from your teammates is skillful.

meh.

Yea except I'm not being a baby and complaining about it all day asking for its removal. Instead I just adapt and play like a boss.

If you don't want to deal with that stuff play a more vanilla playlist, like MLG. Good luck.

James Cameron.
It would probably be too much over the top CGI and not enough story. A Halo movie needs to be good action sequences driven by a great narrative.

My top choices would be:

Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception)
Martin Scorsese (The Departed, Shutter Island, Goodfellas)
Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven)
Mel Gibson (We Were Soldiers, The Patriot, Braveheart)*Seriously, I think he could pull it off.
Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings)
Steven Spielberg (Indiana Jones, Saving Private Ryan)

It would probably be too much over the top CGI and not enough story. A Halo movie needs to be good action sequences driven by a great narrative.

My top choices would be:

Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception)
Martin Scorsese (The Departed, Shutter Island, Goodfellas)
Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven)
Mel Gibson (We Were Soldiers, The Patriot, Braveheart)*Seriously, I think he could pull it off.
Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings)
Steven Spielberg (Indiana Jones, Saving Private Ryan)

Boy, how do you NOT mention Alien?

Oh my God. Imagine an Alien-type movie (directed by Ridley Scott) but with the Flood. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom