• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Out of left field mentions:

Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Chronos)
Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men)
Duncan Jones (Moon)
David Fincher (Fight Club)
Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Bronson)

Ramirez

I don't mind the jetpacks.

That one time specifically I said don't ignore that guy hes going to come back all he did was jetpack behind the glass where there is a lip of brown land sticking out and then recharge, happens all the time and I use that path often to surprise people at rocks because its such an unusual path.

I even said "Do not ignore that guy he is going to pop back out" - 1.5 seconds later he is on our car and shooting me at Snipehut down to no shields. That team had tags on our sniper at all time and we didn't. Thats the ONLY reason we lost their sniper was able to go +20 and he single handedly won them the game.

Jetpacks did not break that map. Our communication did.

Fuck.

I'll be flat out honest, I don't even care enough about this game anymore to call out, I'm just so over the game, I log on to shoot some guys, and then log off for another month+.

To say that a good group of plays can't break maps with jetpacks, like they did last night is laughable though. Anytime we'd get control of middle you'd here about 3-4 jetpacks lifting up over the rings, it's retarded and goes against everything I've ever loved about Halo.

Tunavi

Banned
Yea except I'm not being a baby and complaining about it all day asking for its removal. Instead I just adapt and play like a boss.

If you don't want to deal with that stuff play a more vanilla playlist, like MLG. Good luck.
Played this game for a year, bro. I actually un-adapted, I liked Reach at first.
I tried getting into MLG too. Playing against full parties with idiot randoms. Then when I did get a full party, it was just back and forth flag-pulling/dropping for 15 minutes. Wasn't very fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'll be flat out honest, I don't even care enough about this game anymore to call out, I'm just so over the game, I log on to shoot some guys, and then log off for another month+.

To say that a good group of plays can't break maps with jetpacks, like they did last night is laughable though. Anytime we'd get control of middle you'd here about 3-4 jetpacks lifting up over the rings, it's retarded and goes against everything I've ever loved about Halo.

Jetpacks just aren't fun to play against. The forced verticality just isn't fun.

I thought jetpacks were good idea, on paper, but after Reach I just never want to see them in Halo ever again. Along with Armour Lock and Evade.

senador

Banned
Oh please no. He has fallen so far.

Agreed. It'd look pretty, but that's about it.

I'd say Peter Jackson for sure. Its a shame that deal died. I'm not sure I'd want a movie now, but Peter Jackson could do it right for sure. The guys who did "Deliver Hope" might be able to as well, though that was all action and not any acting going on.

I dunno man, I think Asylum and Sanctuary have huge amounts of map control offered. We failed to get control, especially of Ring 2. Controlling Ring 2 makes it easy to put heat on their snipe and thats what they did to us.

Didn't use a variety of AA's and got beat up pretty good.

Its fine if you don't wanna callout but I feel thats exactly why they beat us, they did callout and we didn't. Didn't have shit to do with gamebreaking AA's (which both teams have the option of using again)

Any opinions on Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau, or Kenneth Branagh (all around awesome at sticking to source material, love his Shakespeare work and Thor) ?

TheOddOne

Any opinions on Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau, or Kenneth Branagh (all around awesome at sticking to source material, love his Shakespeare work and Thor) ?
Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens and Iron Man 2 where a mess.

Kenneth Branagh work on Thor was just... bleh.

Joss is just.... bleh.

feel

uggh

NEVER HIRE JUICES

Dude just flings bad opinions one after another on a daily basis like it's an art.

Ramirez

I dunno man, I think Asylum and Sanctuary have huge amounts of map control offered. We failed to get control, especially of Ring 2. Controlling Ring 2 makes it easy to put heat on their snipe and thats what they did to us.

Didn't use a variety of AA's and got beat up pretty good.

Its fine if you don't wanna callout but I feel thats exactly why they beat us, they did callout and we didn't. Didn't have shit to do with gamebreaking AA's (which both teams have the option of using again)

Yea, it has plenty without AA's, with AA's it just boils down to who can play like a bigger douche. Jetpacking and raining grenades is not my idea of them outplaying us for map control, it's just a flat out broken game.

And I'll never use a variety of AA's because I hate them, I wouldn't even pick sprint if their was an option, AA's are not Halo to me, and if the franchise continues down that path for 4, I'm done with it.

Jetpacks work in Reach. They're balanced by being extremely slow and extremely loud.

I completely understand why people want a more classic style, and there are options for that, even in Reach.

Just because you prefer a different style doesn't mean the style is inherently flawed.

Karl2177

Jetpacks work in Reach. They're balanced by being extremely slow and extremely loud.

I completely understand why people want a more classic style, and there are options for that, even in Reach.

Just because you prefer a different style doesn't mean the style is inherently flawed.

Give me a good mode that emulates Halo 2 while still playing Halo Reach. Then we'll talk.

Ramirez

Their speed is completely offset by their vertical ability and bloom. I swear bloom is even more broken when trying to aim at someone jetpacking as well.

The classic emulations in Reach are subpar at best, MLG coming the closest, and the anniversary stuff being largely as inconsistent as default Reach.

Striker

maybe throwing a grenade at the ground at someone chasing you, trick hopping over obstacles, calling out for help from your teammates
anything is more interesting that someone sprinting to their teammates, armor locking, evading across the map, or jetpacking over a wall
You can still toss grenades at the ground at somebody chasing you, you can still hop over obstacles, and even wider distances than ever before with sprint, and what's with using your mic have anything to do with it? The main difference between this and previous ones is inertia, and I do agree it's a problem and I hope none of it returns. However the reasons you list as "interesting" can currently be done in the game now.

I could probably list a half dozen jumps on Guardian alone
Most of which a regular player cannot do, especially on a consistent basis or in combat. I'll welcome the general Halo base settings of a decent jump and fast movement speed over anything in these past two iterations. Both had wildly slow "run" speeds and you either had awful moon jumps in H3 or the awful inertia holding you back in Reach. Both are poop and should never return

Tunavi

Banned
Their speed is completely offset by their vertical ability and bloom. I swear bloom is even more broken when trying to aim at someone jetpacking as well.
You're correct, because their reticle covers your entire head, while you can only shoot a small section of their head that you can see from the angle below.
It's not that simple, but you like jetpacks and I don't, so there's no way we can convince each other otherwise.

Related to jetpacks working and general Reach gameplay.

It's not that people hate all of that existing. They just hate that it is in a Halo game. They feel Halo should be derivative of that classic style with minimal change. AA's completely change the flow of a Halo match. If Reach did not carry the Halo title with it, people would think that it was a great game. The thing is when people see the word Halo they think of moderately movement speed, a sizable jump height, a full range of motion, a pinpoint accurate gun capable of landing a headshot cross map, two weapon slots, energy shields etc. People don't think of selectable loadouts, Sprint, Jet Packs, evading, and bloom. On it's own Reach is phenomenal people just have a problem with the way it plays with the word Halo in the title.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You're correct, because they their reticle covers your entire head, while you can only shoot a small section of their head that you can see from the angle below.
Yup. Trying to land a headshot on a jetpacker is insanely frustrating. The slow Y axis movement makes it even more so.

a pinpoint accurate gun capable of landing a headshot cross map
That part's debatable. :p Some people think cross mapping is a good thing, and some people want a more limited range (like the BR).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yup. Trying to land a headshot on a jetpacker is insanely frustrating. The slow Y axis movement makes it even more so.

That part's debatable. :p Some people think cross mapping is a good thing, and some people want a more limited range (like the BR).
I hate this so much.

senador

Banned
Sounds like you have some slowturn.

No way, that's different. Its really difficult to go from looking straight out to aiming way up above you in time to defend yourself. If you up your sensitivity it throws you off by changing both horizontal and vertical. It'd be nice to have Y-sensitivity separate.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No way, that's different. Its really difficult to go from looking straight out to aiming way up above you in time to defend yourself. If you up your sensitivity it throws you off by changing both horizontal and vertical. It'd be nice to have Y-sensitivity separate.
Yup. I just ordered one of them fancy silver 360 controllers, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just a hunch, but I think we'll be hearing Tim Dadabo just as much in the next ten years as we have in the previous ten. That's no bad thing at all.

Yup. I just ordered one of them fancy silver 360 controllers, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I've gone through several. One had slowturn, another drift, and the one I have now actually zeroes your turn if you push the stick to its extreme. If my sample is indicative of a larger trend, Microsoft has some pervasive issues with their analog sticks. I think it's not as apparent in other games as it is in Reach, because of the way Reach reads input from the analog sticks. Out of the 5 controllers I own, only one at the moment is acceptable to use with Reach, in my opinion.

I agree with you that it should be a discrete setting, but it still sounds like you have some slowturn, too. The controller I've been using for months now just started exhibiting it, so I bought one of those $28 wired ones from Amazon, even though the guide ring of light and the rumble make noise on the voice channel (which is exacerbated by my Astros).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone through several. One had slowturn, another drift, and the one I have now actually zeroes your turn if you push the stick to its extreme. If my sample is indicative of a larger trend, Microsoft has some pervasive issues with their analog sticks. I think it's not as apparent in other games as it is in Reach, because of the way Reach reads input from the analog sticks. Out of the 5 controllers I own, only one at the moment is acceptable to use with Reach, in my opinion.
Well shit, I've already got buyer's remorse and the damn thing isn't due to arrive till Friday.

Hope I have a better experience.

Tawpgun

Besides their obvious cover defying, map breaking abilities...

THEY ARE NOT SLOW. Maybe if you suck at them. But you can traverse maps faster than sprint. Most maps are pretty vertical and have walls you can fly over.

Jetpacks fucking ruin this game like other AA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom