• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

sadness... :( I love bungie stats. I've been looking through waypoint, and it's so bad. :/ How can you find your KD for the games you play. I always go to bnet and look for my kd if I play a lot of games. WTF 343 :/

Karl2177

What do you mean? That it isn't possible or it's against the TOS?
Because afaik it just returns data, should be easy enough to write that to a file, no?

#neverGiveUp
You could always write up a DOM Tree Parser for Waypoint.

As in against ToS. Although, you could always argue that no data storage is truly permanent...

wwm0nkey

=(

343 dudes, please make Halowaypoint.com faster and more smooth running. Its a nice site, but man is it slow and clunky at times.

Also, will we get an eventual replacement for Bungie Pro?

Something tells me around March is when Waypoint will be getting another update.

Also 343 Pro better come with a Halo 4 beta :mad:

Another question: How many of you have use waypoint regularly to find stats? Because I can find most things pretty fast on waypoint because I took 10 minutes to learn where to find all stuff on the waypoint site. I can understand that most people didn't do this since Bungie.net was still a viable option.

Something tells me around March is when Waypoint will be getting another update.

Also 343 Pro better come with a Halo 4 beta :mad:

I hope so, its due for an update soon.

I wonder how the eventual "343 Pro" will differ in functionality from Bungie Pro.
In a way I still dont want a Halo 4 beta. I mean I do, but I dont. I like the idea of mostly everyone going and playing the game for the first time when it comes out.

Fix the 360 dash waypoint too while you are at it.

Yeah, that crashes all the time now for me. I dont even bother with it at this point.

Damn this sucks, I thought they would keep hosting Halo stats for a good while. Waypoint as of now is just far inferior in every aspect, not really 343i's fault, it's just that Bungie is so good at this.

Do they even have Halo 3 stats at Waypoint??

edit- judging by Bobs' post, they don't. What the fuck, are they just gonna say "Tough break! You should be playing Reach.."?

How did HaloCharts used to update when it was still alive? Did it used to tap into the live updating data?

Somehow I doubt 343 would create a Halo 3 stats portal from scratch but at the very least I would hope 343 allows for the live updating of stats to keep coming through. I dont know how the hell that works, but it would allow for HaloCharts style sites to keep updating right? If it came down to it, if 343 kept that datastream going im sure developers would throw together a site to emulate Bnet. (I would probably try and do it myself).

Karl2177

How did HaloCharts used to update when it was still alive? Did it used to tap into the live updating data?

Somehow I doubt 343 would create a Halo 3 stats portal from scratch but at the very least I would hope 343 allows for the live updating of stats to keep coming through. I dont know how the hell that works, but it would allow for HaloCharts style sites to keep updating right? If it came down to it, if 343 kept that datastream going im sure developers would throw together a site to emulate Bnet. (I would probably try and do it myself).

From what I gathered, it did a page request and parsed through the data. At least in Halo 3 days. I kinda want an app similar to H3Opp that gathered all of my Halo 3 games and then sorted through them who I matched against and bunch of other stuff too. If only it still worked...

GhaleonEB

This made me a bit nostalgic and sad. Hope the transition is smoother than I expect.

Truly the end of an era, and what an era it was. Sad as it makes me, it's one more step on the way to seeing Bungie's next universe, so I can't help but feel a glimmer of excitement in the news.

Out with the old, in with the new.

And yeah, Waypoint needs a lot of love to get up to par. Bungie was able to iterate on their integration over the course of four games, so it's a tall order. But there's definately a big gap to clear still.

Wait what happened to Halo Charts?

Bungie had gorgeous information design on their stat pages it was brilliant.

Battlelog also has pretty good design too.

From what I gathered, it did a page request and parsed through the data. At least in Halo 3 days. I kinda want an app similar to H3Opp that gathered all of my Halo 3 games and then sorted through them who I matched against and bunch of other stuff too. If only it still worked...

Hmm, I wonder if anyone did tap directly into the datastream rather than grab the stats off of Bnet, Bungie did give people access directly to the data didnt they? Or is that only with Reach?

If 343 could keep the data updating so that others could develop the frontend that would be good enough for me lol.

StarWolf im not sure why, but HaloCharts shut down a while back.

senador

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if anyone did tap directly into the datastream rather than grab the stats off of Bnet, Bungie did give people access directly to the data didnt they? Or is that only with Reach?

If 343 could keep the data updating so that others could develop the frontend that would be good enough for me lol.

StarWolf im not sure why, but HaloCharts shut down a while back.

Connect directly to the "data stream"? If there is no API, or no stats page to scrape info from, this isn't really possible. 343 would either have to create an API that is either public or unique/private/custom for certain sites, or have a stats page that could then be scraped, basically what Zeouter said.

HaloCharts shut down because the guy couldn't devote any more time and resources to it and offered it for sale. Kinda which he just gave it away but whatever.

Edit: Does 343 have control over Halo 3? I never heard they did or not and assumed Bungie still controlled it.

Louis Wu

Well okay, that's an opinion, but I'm more looking for actual problems. Because I can easily find all the stats on waypoint that I used to look up on Bnet.
Here's an easy one:
Medals.

Visit your Medals page at B.net; You'll see all medals available in the game, split out by game category (Campaign, Firefight, Competitive, etc). If you don't have the medal, it's greyed out.

Now visit your Medals page on Waypoint.

There's one collection for all gametypes. But wait - the numbers shown correspond to only ONE category! And it's not the same category for every medal! (An example for me: it shows me Killionaires that correspond to Firefight - but Dreamcrushers that correspond to Competitive.)

And there are many medals missing altogether. (I have perfections and exterminations in both Competitive and Arena categories - but the medals don't even SHOW on Waypoint.)

There are many, many other places where the stats simply aren't available at the same level they are on B.net.

And this doesn't even consider screenshots or film clips...

GhaleonEB

Here's an easy one:
Medals.

Visit your Medals page at B.net; You'll see all medals available in the game, split out by game category (Campaign, Firefight, Competitive, etc). If you don't have the medal, it's greyed out.

There's one collection for all gametypes. But wait - the numbers shown correspond to only ONE category! And it's not the same category for every medal! (An example for me: it shows me Killionaires that correspond to Firefight - but Dreamcrushers that correspond to Competitive.)

And there are many medals missing altogether. (I have perfections and exterminations in both Competitive and Arena categories - but the medals don't even SHOW on Waypoint.)

There are many, many other places where the stats simply aren't available at the same level they are on B.net.

Yup. And setting aside content, the organization and site performance are vastly superior on b.net. It's still remarkable how much information is readily available a click or two away, and how well it's laid out when you reach it. World class stuff.

senador

Banned
Yup. And setting aside content, the organization and site performance are vastly superior on b.net. It's still remarkable how much information is readily available a click or two away, and how well it's laid out when you reach it. World class stuff.

Bungie's usability/user experience guys are really good, especially with the amount of data being shown. They also had a lot of time to build and iterate on what they knew and created. It'll be interesting to see if 343's guys can do the same. Many people in web development claim to know usability but they really don't and just know design/look or print design. Hopefully they evolve into this or find people that can do it.

Here's an easy one:
Medals.

Those are some valid points.

I think it's better for 343 if they get this kind of feedback instead of comments like ''bungie.net is way better than waypoint''. But still, it isn't that bad and there are some good things like being able to watch the terminals on the site and the halo career tracking.

Overdoziz

Banned
Those are some valid points.

I think it's better for 343 if they get this kind of feedback instead of comments like ''bungie.net is way better than waypoint''. But still, it isn't that bad and there are some good things like being able to watch the terminals on the site and the halo career tracking.
It's hard not to see why B.net is better than Waypoint.com. B.net is faster, pretty much everything is easier to access and when you link to certain areas on the site it actually sends you there instead of giving you an error.

This feels so good in my hands
Akgt_WCCIAAJdyy.jpg

KevinRo

Convex sticks? No thanks.

I saw my stats on Halo Waypoint the other day.

HALO 2 Multiplayer
Time Played - 38.09:08:11

HALO 3 Multiplayer
Time Played - 9.07:22:29

HALO REACH Multiplayer
Time Played - 7.02:49:00

DEPRESSING. I want my haloz back.

Hey You

Very sad indeed. I used to visit Bungie.net religiously since Halo 2's announcement. I had looked at every weekly update and the bungie webcams for years. I would follow my Halo 2 rank as I was playing, the heatmaps, all the crazy stats and screenshots. (will 343 now publish screenshots?) But once 343 came into the picture and Bungie made it apparent that they were going to stop support for Halo stuff, I slowly left the site. It's pretty sad to see the main reason I visited a site go away after almost a decade.

Oh yeah, is waypoint gonna be updated for our saved files or are we screwed?

I don't like the current waypoint, but you got to remember. Bungie's had alot of time to design and test their stats section. 343s just getting started.

So wait, that means that basically Halo 3 stats tracking ends on March 31st!?? That really sucks. :(

Im glad that stuff will be archived and viewable, but the fact that stats tracking will come to an end effectively for H3 is really sad.

I doubt 343 will invest resources for a 5 year old game. Please prove me wrong?

Damnit, forgot about that too :/

wwm0nkey

who makes that?

They are custom made controllers, they make them for you when you order off their ebay page, its $120 for a wired and $130 for wireless. Wish a company like MadCatz would make something like this so it could be cheaper though. But eh for $20 more than the MLG controller its not THAT bad.

Hey You

a bit unclear about what happens to bungie pro videos?

Are they all getting nuked? Can we still render shit?

All Bungie Pro features will be gone. If you have render minutes, spend them.

Edit: Decide what nameplate you want, you could be stuck with it forever:

what about the forums? and our nameplates?
This question has come up several times. As of the final crossover, you will no longer be able to manage that here. We are unable to comment on what functionality 343 will provide on that front.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=69782750&postRepeater1-p=5

Ken

They are custom made controllers, they make them for you when you order off their ebay page, its $120 for a wired and $130 for wireless. Wish a company like MadCatz would make something like this so it could be cheaper though. But eh for $20 more than the MLG controller its not THAT bad.
That's a lot of money for a controller with an intangible "boost" to your gameplay. Of course, I don't think much about "deadzones" and whatnot so it's probably not made for people like me.

wwm0nkey

That's a lot of money for a controller with an intangible "boost" to your gameplay. Of course, I don't think much about "deadzones" and whatnot so it's probably not made for people like me.

oh I know it's a lot for a controller but it does seem like one I would use a lot. Then again might as well wait a year with the new Xbox hitting in 2013 I could just use the money towards that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom