• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
That and at least with bungie, it took them weeks to implement the settings even after they got them from KC

Heres to 343 either making it easier for them to change the playlists or kicking whoever does the updating in the ass when they dont do it quickly

The update's 343 has done for MLG have already been way more speedy than bungies ever were. The reason nothing has changed recently is because they havent sent in new gametypes as far as I'm aware anyway.

They haven't come out with new gametypes besides v6-no bloom

Edit:

Not Bungie's fault that they updated their settings out of cycle with Bungie's update process. 343 still follows the same timing and pace that Bungie did.

I guess the timing was better the last 2 times then :/

FyreWulff

The update's 343 has done for MLG have already been way more speedy than bungies ever were. The reason nothing has changed recently is because they havent sent in new gametypes as far as I'm aware anyway.

Edit:

Looking back at when MLG posted their settings, the timing was in fact better.

But 343 has literally followed the same update schedule as Bungie, even for CC deadlines to get maps in for next updates. They haven't sped up anything at all. In fact, we weren't even originally supposed to get a January update at all originally.

Big E33

Neo Member

Edit:

That is what I am saying though, maybe 343 can make it easier for them to change the matchmaking settings in the future, like with h4 if not with reach

and KC can communicate more with 343 as to when the settings need to be ready so they can fall in line with whatever days 343 is updating the playlists

and KC can communicate with the community when we need settings by and what we are working with so the community can help test new settings in a timely manner if they want the current settings in the playlist fixed or tweaked

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That is what I am saying though, maybe 343 can make it easier for them to change the matchmaking settings in the future, like with h4 if not with reach

and KC can communicate more with 343 as to when the settings need to be ready so they can fall in line with whatever days 343 is updating the playlists

and KC can communicate with the community when we need settings by and what we are working with so the community can help test new settings in a timely manner if they want the current settings in the playlist fixed or tweaked
That's on my Halo 4 wishlist as well. Changes to a playlist should be implement way more often than once a month. I understand it's because of the system currently in place but it's time for a new system.

FyreWulff

That's on my Halo 4 wishlist as well. Changes to a playlist should be implement way more often than once a month. I understand it's because of the system currently in place but it's time for a new system.

The system already supports mid-month updates. However when you're running an environment that impacts this many people across so many consoles and continents at once, you have to test your updates and then do a single deployment. The more often you try to change stuff, the more things that can go wrong since you're also shortening your test cycles.

When you update playlists, you have to push them out to every single 360 that connects to the Reach (and 3) servers.

I'm expecting Halo 4 to also follow the once-a-month model, with exceptions only for emergencies like Bungie and 343 have already for Reach. tl;dr the more you try to rush updates the more splodin' goes on

Hey what kind of event is this MS event at the end of February? Open to public? Do we have any HaloGAF members in SF?

Isn't Devo in the SF area?

I can't see why they can't keep it, Halo 3 is still up. Plus reach is only so many months away.

Also Gandhi stream is about to start with DMAQ and Bestman to discuss recent news.

I find it interesting that the Halo 3 MLG playlist still exists. Not that it's a bad thing in any way, but for whatever reason, I always just assumed that once Halo 3 was not on the MLG circuit anymore, the playlist would be taken down.

No Bulletin tonight.
No Bulletin tonight. Sorry for the late notice. I'll publish it tomorrow. :) #pleaseacceptthiscatpictureinstead http://chzb.gr/yMAWyq

The system already supports mid-month updates. However when you're running an environment that impacts this many people across so many consoles and continents at once, you have to test your updates and then do a single deployment. The more often you try to change stuff, the more things that can go wrong since you're also shortening your test cycles.

When you update playlists, you have to push them out to every single 360 that connects to the Reach (and 3) servers.

I'm expecting Halo 4 to also follow the once-a-month model, with exceptions only for emergencies like Bungie and 343 have already for Reach. tl;dr the more you try to rush updates the more splodin' goes on

Why does the system that updates everything need to be so complicated?

tn2_mr_deeds_2.jpg

Very sneaky

Hey what kind of event is this MS event at the end of February? Open to public? Do we have any HaloGAF members in SF?

I'm in SF.

FyreWulff

Why does the system that updates everything need to be so complicated?

Because it's a game with complicated settings? People forget the days when Halo 2 would update and you would go into Team Slayer and get Big Team Battle for a day or two. They've put a ton of advancements from that into 3, and Reach has even more.

It's just basic software update practices in effect. Gears 3 has a pretty similar system as well.

Overdoziz

Banned
Like I said, haven't been following MLG at all, but that's the cost of all the map packs. I suppose the DMP doesn't really have anything suited for MLG now that I think about it.
Why would they want or need all map packs? Are they gonna add MLG Tempest?
Only Beaver Creek has good chance of being added. Maybe Damnation.

They tested a version with no shield doors.

Space is fine without shield doors.

You can also easily block it off if you want, there are forge pieces that fit the windows perfectly.

If DLC was not an issue for MLG, they would be considering A9 and probably several CEA maps.

Anchor 9 alone doesn't really justify buying the map pack when you have to do a lot of work to get around the space issue.

The anniversary maps have plenty of potential though which justifies buying more. One thing MLG lacks is maps that function on split screen. This last year you had to spend the first few rounds playing only Zealot and Countdown.

You can also easily block it off if you want, there are forge pieces that fit the windows perfectly.

If DLC was not an issue for MLG, they would be considering A9 and probably several CEA maps.

Please, no more space... Anchor 9 space was alright though.

Overdoziz

Banned

Space is slow as shit and it ruins the map. Cutting the space area off doesn't work either. The flow of the map is ruined without the space area. You can awkwardly get over that by using some Forge pieces but that's far from ideal.
And in the end it's just a bad version of The Pit.

Space is slow as shit and it ruins the map. Cutting the space area off doesn't work either. The flow of the map is ruined without the space area. You can awkwardly get over that by using some Forge pieces but that's far from ideal.
And in the end it's just a bad version of The Pit.

Not saying that Anchor 9 is great, but it's still better than most maps in Reach.

Homeboyd

Bungie Pro Letter from Sawnose:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=69822360

An open letter to Bungie Pro members, past and present:

As Bungie sunsets our involvement in the Halo universe, we wanted to take a moment to give extra thanks to our power users who signed up for the Bungie Pro add-on service. The last wave of Halo-generation Bungie Pro subscriptions will be expiring shortly, but rest assured that it's only going into hibernation - when we're ready, we'll reveal a new suite of services, including ones we'll proudly launch under the Bungie Pro banner. Bungie Pro has always been about providing a way to offer premium services that just can't be free for everyone, like using Bungie machines to render gameplay footage to video. (You've created 10 Terabytes of Halo video clips on Bungie.net!)

At the same time, we will remain committed to keeping our core web offerings open to all of our users. At Bungie we're proud of our long-term memory, and when the time comes for Bungie Pro to yawn, stretch, and blink its eyes in the light of a new morning, we'll do something special for the people who gave it such a successful first run. Thanks for joining us for the ride so far.

See you starside!

Followed by:

Now for the tech details: On 3/31, Bungie.net will stop synchronizing with your Halo file share. Plan to use your render minutes before then. We can continue to host your screenshots and rendered videos created before the transition date, but as always, you should download these to your own computer because we don't guarantee hosting them forever.

heckfu

Banned
I know the comparisons need to stop between companies but I loved knowing come hell or high water we got a bulletin on Friday nights. I like consistency. I really do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LOL

Halo Council wants you on the show Frankie!!

edit: They organizing a mass twitter spam Frank hahahaha

edit 2: Ok apparently they want Scott Warner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom