• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Tawpgun

Retcons and inconsistencies are an inevitability with universes this big. Most comic book readers have stopped caring since it happens so often and with huge changes.

Halo has been relatively consistent, all things considered.

J10

Banned
I never accepted the idea the humans and the Forerunners were the same, i always assumed the Gulty Spark only claimed that directly because he was rampant.
I never got the feeling from the terminals that F=H... and then there was this comic related to IRIS ARG, where a pre-historic human watches Foreunner robots to build the Portal, that automatically made impossible, in my mind, for the humans and the Forerunners to be the same.

IRIS was written by Frankie, who had already left Bungie to form what would become 343 Industries. Bungie had already split from M$ and the retconning had begun.

ElRenoRaven

I'd be fine if 343 retconed Reach.

If they wanted to I'd be ok with that. I firmly believe that the creators of said universe have every right to change whatever they want. We as the consumer have every right though to say no I don't like those changes and to cease purchasing products with those changes in them. That's one reason I don't hate George Lucas for bastardizing Star Wars. It's his to do with as he pleases. That's also though why I don't own any of the versions since he started screwing with them.

Sai-kun

Banned
My soundtrack came with a little card for 6 downloadable tracks

Armour
To Galaxy Extended
Foreshadow

Ascendancy (Matt Lange Remix)
Arrival (Norin & Rad Remix)
Green and Blue (Andrew Bayer Remix)

My soundtrack came with a little card for 6 downloadable tracks

Armour
To Galaxy Extended
Foreshadow

Ascendancy (Matt Lange Remix)
Arrival (Norin & Rad Remix)
Green and Blue (Andrew Bayer Remix)

Dang. I was hoping it would be for another song.

I'll revise what I said earlier; I'll pay 343 to retcon Reach. Actually, they don't even have to do that, just Kat. PLEASE RETCON KAT.

ElRenoRaven

Wrong. It's microsoft's universe. Bungie may have started it but Microsoft owns it. Your statement is as ignorant as a comic fan bitching about Spider Man retcons.

No you are wrong. Microsoft may own the universe currently however it isn't their universe. I'm not talking about ownership here. Maybe you're getting confused by what I'm saying.

TheOddOne

Wrong. It's microsoft's universe. Bungie may have started it but Microsoft owns it. Your statement is as ignorant as a comic fan bitching about Spider Man retcons.
That is rich calling Psycho ignorant, because most of time you make no sense at all :lol

Nothing that he said was ignorant and is spot on.

FyreWulff

I highly recommend learning sketchup. I've been on sketchup daily, working on the next iteration of the map that I've been working on for a couple months now in preparation for Halo 4. It is great for getting all of the exact measurements you want then using it as a reference for forge. HIGHLY recommend.

I could never get into using Sketchup for Forge maps. In the time I spent making the map in sketchup, I could have already made it in Forge. I also learn what won't work much faster, and allows a map to form more organically for me.

That's just me though. In my personal opinion, there's a lot of Forgers that make some nice ideas in sketchup, soak the praise for the idea, but then never actually make a map out of it. I prefer seeing maps in the engine first. A notable lack of Sketchup for me is it's a poor tool to determine your sight and firing lines from.

AutoCAD for life

ElRenoRaven

lol.

In every legal purpose, microsoft has COMPLETE control of the Halo universe.

I'm not disputing that. I'm not talking about on a legal ownership level. There is no disputing that Microsoft currently owns the universe legally and can do whatever they want with it. What I'm talking about is on the artistic side of things.

IHaveIce

Banned
Retcons and inconsistencies are an inevitability with universes this big. Most comic book readers have stopped caring since it happens so often and with huge changes.

Halo has been relatively consistent, all things considered.
True, but I also stopped reading some comic series because of that, for example Spider-Man.

I hope retcons will be rare in Halo, it is good like it right now.

I really hope one day there's another game that more directly tells the story of the fall of the Spartan II's. That's what I wanted from Reach when it was first announced.

That or a standalone animated movie.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing the first teaser and the name "REACH" and I just finished reading the book again, I was pumped as hell.

Then saw the VGA trailer and Bungie said "We don't tell the story of the book" , man I was pissed.
Would love a Halo game following the book storylines, not only Fall of Reach but also First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx. Just want to see John and the other Spartans in action

Tawpgun

I'm not disputing that. I'm not talking about on an ownership level. There is no disputing that Microsoft currently owns the universe and can do whatever they want with it. What I'm talking about is on the artistic side of things.

What do you mean? Microsoft has control of the art for Halo also? We've already seen things artistically change.

Tawpgun

Oh yeah, I remember seeing the first teaser and the name "REACH" and I just finished reading the book again, I was pumped as hell.

Then saw the VGA trailer and Bungie said "We don't tell the story of the book" , man I was pissed.
Would love a Halo game following the book storylines, not only Fall of Reach but also First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx. Just want to see John and the other Spartans in action

This was my biggest disappointment of Reach. When the Noble Team sillohuettes were released with that promo image everyone thought they were Spartan II's. And it all fit. Kelly was the slim, fast one. So and so was the guy with the knife, so and so was the big and bulky spartan II, Linda was the sniper, etc.

I think the game would have been a lot more ambitious if they tried making a storytelling experience based on the book. Imagine having the tutorial missions being running through the obstacle course as kids. Or having the first missions being without the MJOLNIR armor. Then with the shieldless armor. And so on. It would be Chiefs origin story and a PERFECT lead in into Halo 4 (had they planned that far ahead)

But I can understand their reasoning for going with a seperate story line. Just wish it had been a tad more consistent. Lots of dropped balls.

ElRenoRaven

343 is in control of the vision of Halo.
Microsoft is 343's parent company, owns the rights and can influence change to their liking.

No really? I didn't know that./sarcasm

I never said they couldn't. I know that they can legally do that. I've said as much that they have every right and I'm not going to hate on them or condemn the game for that very reason. I haven't once said they couldn't legally turn Master Chief into a hot blond who shoots water balloons at angry cats if they wanted to. I'm not disputing their legal right to do anything they fucking want with the goddamn universe.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This was my biggest disappointment of Reach. When the Noble Team sillohuettes were released with that promo image everyone thought they were Spartan II's. And it all fit. Kelly was the slim, fast one. So and so was the guy with the knife, so and so was the big and bulky spartan II, Linda was the sniper, etc.

I think the game would have been a lot more ambitious if they tried making a storytelling experience based on the book. Imagine having the tutorial missions being running through the obstacle course as kids. Or having the first missions being without the MJOLNIR armor. Then with the shieldless armor. And so on. It would be Chiefs origin story and a PERFECT lead in into Halo 4 (had they planned that far ahead)
I didn't pay all that much attention to Reach leading up to its release, so that was more or less what I was expecting.
That is still my idea of the perfect Halo game, something involving Kelly, Fred, and the rest. Instead we got Jun, Emile, and Kat.
Cardboard over interesting characters.

FyreWulff

Awesome. A game that just retreads a book and fiction we've already gone over, and would have still needed changes to work as a game, and you know, not a book. Snore.

Shadders

The problem with the last tournament (for me) was that we were in different parts of the world. My match was at 4am local time and I had work the next day, I got out of bed at 3:55 to play and couldn't even control my hands - I could barely see!

I'd suggest the next tournament have separate brackets for Europe and The Americas and then maybe do a playoff between the top two teams In each bracket.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
And if you can't expand the fiction without respecting what was already established, you're doing it wrong.

Retcons don't disrespect older material.

And perfect continuity can't exist in a franchise as big as Halo. Or Star Wars. Or Star Trek.

If Halo was simply a book series I'd be fighting the canon anti-retcon fight but it is what it is and stamping your feet won't change the nature of the beast.

Tunavi

Banned
Reach would have been a great game if it had incorporated scenes from the book. Like the
Keyes Loop, master chief in space destroying the map to earth, linda dying off, Chief meeting johnson for the first time, spartans defending the mac guns, halsey cloning her brain into cortana etc.

What a waste of huge potential.

No really? I didn't know that./sarcasm

Dude, you asked for someone to help better explain what you're saying and I put it in the simplest words for people..

lol

Reach would have been a great game if it had incorporated scenes from the book. Like the Keyes Loops, master chief in space destroying the map to earth, linda dying off, Chief meeting johnson for the first time, spartans defending the mac guns, halsey cloning her brain into cortana etc.

What a waste of huge potential.

Come on.. it was the perfect Beta for Halo 4.

I do not need a game to retell a story I have read a few years ago. Give me new stuff. The same stuff applies for Spartan Ops. Let Spartan Ops tell new stories, not retelling of battles people have read in the books.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the last tournament (for me) was that we were in different parts of the world. My match was at 4am local time and I had work the next day, I got out of bed at 3:55 to play and couldn't even control my hands - I could barely see!

I'd suggest the next tournament have separate brackets for Europe and The Americas and then maybe do a playoff between the top two teams In each bracket.
Yeah, totally. There's definitely going to be separate tournaments for the USA and Europe if another tournament happens.

Top Bottom