• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Karl2177

Let's analyze what Sprint did to Halo 4.

Ruined control schemes - seriously, it fucked them up
Made maps too big
Made vehicle turrets get buffed
Gave sword guy even more power
Made Campaign missions with long ass hallways

That's off the top of my head. Sprint wasn't a simple addiction.

DOWN WITH SPRINT!
I'm a fan of sprint. But there is a ton of stuff I would modify with it. I would include a sprint meter. I would decrease melee power after sprinting. I would obviously change the control schemes. I wouldn't design maps for sprint, I would design with it in mind.

Also, my roommate was messaging me last night as he played through campaign with his friend. His friend has played all of the Halos and read none of the books. My roommate has played them all, and listened as I explained the books. Both of them(and myself) are perplexed by how book dependent the game is. And only reading all or part of Cryptum only, isn't going to confuse you that much.

As another OT aside, it's about the same temperature here than what it is in Iowa.

Akai__

Still playing through Halo 4 campaign and I saw some pretty funny things, like this:

Click me! :D

I'm having fun discovering everything and taking screenshots from some beautiful locations.

If you have something, you want me to screenshot (or captured), just ask me. Would prefer a PM, because the forum shouldn't be spammed with requests, it's hard enough to follow it normally. :p

Edit:

Yeah. I've got a campaign theatre clip you can do. It's all of them.

That's why I ask, if you want anything to be captured or screnshot'ed. I know, you can't sent me clips, sadly. :(

Manic

Neo Member
Was it mentioned in the bulletin?

On a side note, I think Bungie's next IP will be good. They had a misstep with Reach, but I think as a whole the studio will produce something incredible. Something hopefully better than Halo.

Bs Angel posted something on twitter, same thing with Kevin Franklin as well.

Karl2177

Still playing through Halo 4 campaign and I saw some pretty funny things, like this:

Click me! :D

I'm having fun discovering everything and taking screenshots from some beautiful locations.

If you have something, you want me to screenshot (or captured), just ask me. Would prefer a PM, because the forum shouldn't be spammed with requests, it's hard enough to follow it normally. :p
Yeah. I've got a campaign theatre clip you can do. It's all of them.

Probably not going to happen, I would die if it did. Please attend my funeral in that case.

I'm loving H4's objective modes a lot, most fun I've had since H3 I guess, but the potential for H4 (on the whole) to be an incredible game is there, I wonder if 343 realise it?
I was meaning to respond to this earlier and got distracted. I would love to see 343's support for all the gimmicky stuff to stop now. They have lured whoever they are going to lure into halo4 and they can just leave the current Infinity playlists intact for all of the people that like it. From this point forward, 343 should be committed to making the adjustments that will realize Halo 4's potential. That will require swallowing some of their pride with the new things they've added and making some minor, but serious adjustments. And if they don't want to add to many playlists, then revamp pro slayer.

I think they need a playlist with the following changes included:

• No instant respawns
  • Personal and Global Ordnance - gone!
  • No AA's - excluding sprint

The above changes probably can be made with no serious work or code changes. But I would also like to see the following, which will probably take a lot more work:
  • red X's over where people died
  • Sprint removed (or make it so that we can shoot while sprinting)
  • A change to JIP if possible - basically a no JIP playlist if possible
  • A Mercenary Playlist
  • A visual indicator for when a shield has popped

EDIT:

I feel like most of these are very realistic changes that can be made, but it all depends on what 343 is willing to do to their baby.
wooo spring break!
one more time!

DeadNames

Banned
I feel like 343 should scrap global ordnance, but keep personal but make the points for a drop a lot higher, so there's still an inventive to get kills.

And 343 could've dealt with weapon spawns in a much better way.

I think they need a playlist with the following changes included:

• No instant respawns
  • Personal and Global Ordnance - gone!
  • No AA's - excluding sprint
Sure

The above changes probably can be made with no serious work or code changes. But I would also like to see the following, which will probably take a lot more work:
  • red X's over where people died
Yes.
  • Sprint removed (or make it so that we can shoot while sprinting)
Why would you wan-- no.
  • A change to JIP if possible - basically a no JIP playlist if possible
Just fix it such that you can't join a game near the end...
  • A Mercenary Playlist
Really?
  • A visual indicator for when a shield has popped
It could be improved a little, but now you're nit-picking.

Pop

As much as I love Halo, I don't believe we will ever get a playlist like Barebones. Static weapons on map, no drops, no JIP...etc. Just classic Halo style gameplay.

I really hope I'm wrong here. I do enjoy H4 but it doesn't have that gameplay that keeps me coming back or that feel of wanting to play all the time.

As much as I love Halo, I don't believe we will ever get a playlist like Barebones. Static weapons on map, no drops, no JIP...etc. Just classic Halo style gameplay.

I really hope I'm wrong here. I do enjoy H4 but it doesn't have that gameplay that keeps me coming back or that feel of wanting to play all the time.

Fortunately for 343 Halo is the only FPS I liked. Pained me that Reach suck so I am at least back on my Halo grind at least.

Rev3rb

The campaign was A LOT better than Reach though, I will give it that. That's one part they hugely improved on. Probably one of the better Halo campaigns.

When you first find out the covenant is on Reach, the marine voices over the comm channels are terribly done. I expected frantic screaming, but I was left with boring "...The covenant is on Reach...".

H4 Campaign >>>>>>>>>>> Reach Campaign

Arnie

I don't think there are the maps to support it. The maps weren't built around static drops and balanced map control, they were designed as arenas to facilitate instant respawns, universal sprinting, and personal ordnance. It's not a case of patching in 'Classic Halo', the whole thing's moved on too substantially.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yep gaf just says their dislikes to be cool or without reasons or to be purists not becauae they may have concerns, I'm happy for you that you like Halo 4 the way it is and also love infinity slayer

lol, so full of mad.

Getting beat in oddball because the other team jumped into that glitched area on complex.

Its literally a 2 second fix. You put a forge box in front of the hole.

Why is this taking so long to fix.

There's a spot on Haven too.

Why can't you just accept that he thinks your post was misguided?

It's not about being mad, it's about being right or wrong, he didn't argue his point that eloquently, but your response was somehow inferior.

Serious business.

Sure

Yes.
Why would you wan-- no.
Just fix it such that you can't join a game near the end...
Really?
It could be improved a little, but now you're nit-picking.
I'm not nitpicking. These are just changes that I personally want or think would improve the game. The visual indicator is something a lot of people recognize that Reach did right. It's not unreasonable to at least want a better indicator in 4.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a randoms-only playlist. It would help the population soooo much in my opinion. At least I wouldn't be able to fault my losses or poor performances in games to playing against full teams.

Having sprint excluded is a toss-up. I know it has benefits seeing how the maps were designed around it, but I'd still like it be removed rather than left in. I hate how it impacts combat. I don't like that people can sprint into me in close quarters combat and get a melee off, but I have no way of sprinting backwards or avoiding it. It's a cheap tactic that shouldn't even be possible. Oh you got the drop on me? I'll just run into you and melee you. And the person that sprints in somehow always gets the favorable positioning to finish off the kill after bouncing backward from the melee. It's pretty aggravating/lame. Problem is compounded with Sword/hammer

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
do all you downers not even like slayer pro in halo 4? i played a few games of that and thought it was a really great compromise between the old and the new of halo and that it played absolutely fantastically. of course, i'm a radar player myself, so it wont be my mainstay playlist, but it seems it should appease the purists...

Talents

Banned
do all you downers not even like slayer pro in halo 4? i played a few games of that and thought it was a really great compromise between the old and the new of halo and that it played absolutely fantastically. of course, i'm a radar player myself, so it wont be my mainstay playlist, but it seems it should appease the purists...

Remove Ordinance, sprint, IR and add static weapon drops then I'll like it. Oh and some CTF playlists in which you can drop the flag.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Remove Ordinance, sprint, IR and add static weapon drops then I'll like it. Oh and some CTF playlists in which you can drop the flag.

i get itss not perfect (and could never be for everyone), but you don't find it fun and a good halo game despite it not being perfect?

this i dont get.

Arnie

I spawned and killed a guy before his shields even managed to recharge. You still don't fight over weapons and power ups to control the map. You still do everything for experience, without an incentive to play as a team, or to even win. You still play on Team Shark and need to reach the arbitrary 600 point limit.

Removing ordnance and armour mods doesn't make it play like Halo, sadly. Such are the pure wad of problems with the game.

i get itss not perfect (and could never be for everyone), but you don't find it fun and a good halo game despite it not being perfect?

this i dont get.

There are fun moments embedded in it, when it's BR on BR. But it still isn't a fun Halo game. It feels like something else entirely.

Talents

Banned

this i dont get.

Slayer on 3/4 maps gets really boring in a short amount of time. Especially when 2 of the maps aren't even good.

Man, I haven't felt this way about Halo multiplayer since Halo 2.

-engine feelsgoodman
-the sword is finally balanced
-the magnum is exactly where it should be
-fucking nailed the assault rifle too
-sprinting for everyone is long overdue
-armor abilities are not OP
-vehicles are vulnerable
-perks system allows for more customization than ever
-best original maps since Halo 2
-actual incentive to level up and get commendations
-no worthless vehicles - even the mongoose has high speed now
-join in progress is a good thing

That said,

-take the music out of multiplayer
-don't prevent movement while viewing score
-add X to HUD for dead teammates
-I love ya Stetizer, but chill out.
-where is proximity voice? I want to shit talk the enemy in-game.

Another Halo 4 rant. This is a fucking beta.

Assault Rifle is overpowered. I think Saw is okay.. i wouldn't be against nerfing it.

Shotgun needs a nerf... it's range was greatly increased.

Spawn points are HORRIBLE.

Netcode is good, but sometimes the game glitches on the available loadouts.

I'm usually in favor of no radar; however, I think sprint is changing my mind on that. I really dislike how sprinting completely changes close-quarters combat. It's not a shoot first mentality anymore. Instead, it's sprint into the other person first and shoot, second. I don't like that. At this point, I would be in favor of slayer pro having radar.

Let's analyze what Sprint did to Halo 4.

Ruined control schemes - seriously, it fucked them up
Made maps too big
Made vehicle turrets get buffed
Gave sword guy even more power
Made Campaign missions with long ass hallways

That's off the top of my head. Sprint wasn't a simple addiction.

DOWN WITH SPRINT!

Nope. Sprint is fine.

Map designers at 343:

''Hey, let's make this map with really tight hallways and let's also put a sword on it! And let's put the same exact layout in slayer pro. You know, that gametype without radar! Oow, and let's make the bases really easily campable so that the people trying to enter the bases from the hallways can be shot from a higher platform with lots of cover!''

Best. Map. Ever.

J10

Banned
Yes, theoretically, but you only have to look at pre-season friendlies in sport to understand why it doesn't materialise in practice.

Now we're comparing gamers to pro athletes. This is like part of the prologue to Wall-E.

Arnie

Now we're comparing gamers to pro athletes. This is like part of the prologue to Wall-E.

What on Earth are you on about?

I'm comparing the motivations of sport (amateur, or professional, or me down the park) to the motivations of Halo players. For great chunks of people the two overlap. I, and many here, play games to win. If I'm playing a game of CTF but am ambivalent to the overall result then what's the point? It's no secret that in all walks of competition or sport, the quality and commitment put in by the participants is higher if the result feeds into an overarching results tally.

IHaveIce

Banned
Map designers at 343:

''Hey, let's make this map with really tight hallways and let's also put a sword on it! And let's put the same exact layout in slayer pro. You know, that gametype without radar! Oow, and let's make the bases really easily campable so that the people trying to enter the bases from the hallways can be shot from a higher platform with lots of cover!''

Best. Map. Ever.

Lol I ranted about this map for eactly this reason yesterday with a friend.

About Slayer Pro:

It is better than Infinity Slayer but just taking out AAs, Radar and Loudouts, doesn't make this playlist "Pro" .. where is correctly setted global ordinance, that is also altered for the maps..

And I have to agree that for some reason the lack of a radar is a minus for me in Halo 4.

I really hope we get a MLG playlist, not because I like MLG or something, but the gametypes I saw at Dallas were more appealing, Solace with good weapon spawns WITH CORRECT TIMES :OOO

But please take out personal ordinance, hate that everyone can get a powerweapon for some stuff.

Korosenai

Man, I haven't felt this way about Halo multiplayer since Halo 2.

-engine feelsgoodman
-the sword is finally balanced
-the magnum is exactly where it should be
-fucking nailed the assault rifle too
-sprinting for everyone is long overdue
-armor abilities are not OP
-vehicles are vulnerable
-perks system allows for more customization than ever
-best original maps since Halo 2
-actual incentive to level up and get commendations
-no worthless vehicles - even the mongoose has high speed now
-join in progress is a good thing

That said,

-take the music out of multiplayer
-don't prevent movement while viewing score
-add X to HUD for dead teammates
-I love ya Stetizer, but chill out.
-where is proximity voice? I want to shit talk the enemy in-game.
All great points.

Also, I went to go play one game of Reach yesterday just to kind of compare the two (reach and h4) while halo 4 was super fresh on my mind, and here are two things I noticed right off the bat.

The feel of a Spartan: I feel like 343 really nailed this in Halo 4. Hard to explain, but in H4 you just feel like a supersoldier, in Reach not so much.

Betrayals: I am glad these are no longer in H4. I played one game of reach last night, I get the rockets and then my moron teammate goes on to follow me and melee me for about 5 minutes straight trying to get me killed. At first I was upset they werent in h4, but after playing Reach, im glad they arent.

There are alot of other things I noticed that were superior in H4, but these are the two main things I noticed.

J10

Banned
Nothing, it was a joke.

I don't see why you'd ever be ambivalent about a game of CTF if you willingly sat down to play it. What other reason would there be to be there if not to win? My original point was that the virtual bling and constant backpatting are what's detracting from that. Doing the thing should be the reward in and of itself. But instead, now I'm hoping for ordnance drops because other people are getting them and without them I'd have trouble staying competitive, and even then I'm not guaranteed I'll get a drop on par to theirs. If it was just me versus another guy with the same tools there'd be no complaint; whomever was better, wins.

Top Bottom