• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Yo Slightly Live, what can we expect later on besides no Forge maps? I assume it's going to just be existing gametypes on the normal maps. So in a sense it's all 'serious' stuff for now?

Edit: Good thing I checked the bottom of last page. Extraction?

Help.

So my friend still can't play the game without an internet connection, despite bring his console and HD over to my house and installing the TU, beating the first three levels, playing online, etc. Once home it says he has not played the game, has no room to save it, he can't earn new achievements, play custom games, etc. He deleted Halo 4 saves, installed both discs, re-downloaded waypoint, etc.

Is there any fix for this? Xbox support couldn't help him at all despite talking to them on the phone for a long while.

(side note, other profiles on his xbox are not glitched, only his own.. he cannot re-download his profile atm as he does not have internet access.)

How much free space does he have on his drive? Has he tried clearing cache? If nothing works, try playing with no HDD or use a freshly formatted Flashdrive alone.

A few gigs. Support already had him clear his cache.. Such a bizarre issue..

Computron

How much free space does he have on his drive? Has he tried clearing cache? If nothing works, try playing with no HDD or use a freshly formatted Flashdrive alone.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yo Slightly Live, what can we expect later on besides no Forge maps? I assume it's going to just be existing gametypes on the normal maps. So in a sense it's all 'serious' stuff for now?

Edit: Good thing I checked the bottom of last page. Extraction?

We're gonna try out everything the game has to offer to see what works and what doesn't work.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I will never be home early enough for GAF customs.

In a couple weeks once some fun maps/gametypes are floating around I'll try and start getting people for Minigames, if anyone actually gives a shit.

TCKaos

Random: Was watching Giant Bomb's Halo 4 TNT and they were getting really low framerates with 16 players on Exile and Complex (and other maps too I think) the entire time so they had to switch over to 8 player stuff. I'm curious to see if the same thing happens to GAF customs.

Same thing happened earlier but with a smaller party. We were playing this custom game (300% speed, thrusters and hammers only) with around ten or twelve people and the frame rate dropped in some instances and the game was struggling to keep up with the speed of the thrusters.

We played another gametype called Killer Bees (Jetpack, sword, suppressor) and when more than two or so people used the suppressor the game became completely unplayable because of how low the framerate was.

Computron

OK, so I just tried Halo 3 on this new xbox of mine. It looks buttery smooth at full-res in valhalla with 16 players. Ragnorok, on the other hand, has pretty consistent stuttering.

Also, Halo 3's motion blur would kick ass (Or even better, GOW3's) for Halo 4. It is disappointing that motion blur is not an option in Halo 4.

Arnie

Listening to Marty's Halo 2 score and remembering the days when Halo was about playing to win, playing as a team, map control, weapon control, flag juggling, timing respawns, grabbing power ups, and using your knowledge of the game mechanics to better your opponent, rather than a killstreak, a perk, or an innate armour ability.

I graduate in seven months time, 343, I'm sending you my CV whether you like it or not. I just want to help.

Is the daily challenge Exterminate! Exterminate glitched? I feel like I've killed every person on the team multiple times, but the bar never progresses.

I'm sure it is, but at this point I would have been surprised if it had worked properly.

5v0 . Instant win.

Achievement Unlocked : Dongblainer.

Who the fuck made this piece of shit game?

I think a team of highly trained carrier pigeons.

I will never be home early enough for GAF customs.

In a couple weeks once some fun maps/gametypes are floating around I'll try and start getting people for Minigames, if anyone actually gives a shit.

I'll be hosting a later night customs today for people who actually have lives on Saturday nights
kidding, but I will be online for some customs later tonight

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yep, MASSIVE frame drops on exile and vortex. Especially vortex when you look across the light bridge.

That shit sucks bad.

I'm loving dominion when I'm not getting 5fps.

Arnie

Dominion was alright, didn't feel particularly new or exciting though, even with the base building-lite elements in play. I have to say I'm not a fan of Vortex, either.

So every time I back out of a match while playing with one certain person on my friends list... I lag out of our xbox live party and can't join a game until I get at least 3 "Abort due to network problems" messages. Then the second we get an incoming player, I lag back in to the party and all is well.

Uhhh.... what.

I'm glad you and Squid were right. It just seems to click with me.

But, if I don't land that first shot in against a DMR, I usually get killed, that is, if I don't run away like a coward.

Why? It's awesome!

I've definitely had some fun game, but nowhere near as much as I was expecting.

They need to tone down the amount of power weapon drops and increase the score to about 800. Games can end quick at the moment.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
hgc.png

Five minutes.

Message GT: Slightly Live to join.

ZalinKrow

On splitscreen Complex is really hard to play on. Framerate really struggles and it's very frustrating :/ I want to like that map, but it's not making it easy. 2 Flag CTF on there is also really unfair on the team whose base is in the open. The other base has way more cover :(

Woorloog

Banned
On splitscreen Complex is really hard to play on. Framerate really struggles and it's very frustrating :/ I want to like that map, but it's not making it easy. 2 Flag CTF on there is also really unfair on the team whose base is in the open. The other base has way more cover :(

Not just Complex. Nearly every larger map has frame rate issues on splitscreen (though usually only when looking at certain directions and sometimes only if two or more people do that). Which is odd considering how smoothly everything works when playing alone.
Still, very fun game, even better when played with friends next to you.

Arnie

LOL.

At a fun standpoint, H4 definitely tops 3. If we swap things around, H4 could potentially be super competitive.

I certainly agree, but ask yourself how much of this fun and competitiveness was 343's doing, and how much was Bungie's, and then I think his second point still stands. The core of this game is superb, that's Bungie, the fringe systems and mechanics are atrocious, to me.

Valhalla, Bungie, Mantis, 343, is a fairly good example that can be extrapolated broadly, in my opinion.

Why did everyone slrp the frame rate n the games smoothness so hard pre release? Did it change in between or does gaf bend over that easy for a couple 343 stickers n hats?

Akai__

Okay, another problem. I got a LAN starting in two minutes but two of the consoles won't connect. The consoles are connected, all have Disc 2 installed, all have the day 1 update. I can see the other consoles on the active roster, but the players have a padlock next to their name. Only two of the four consoles are having this issue...

Also, not everything's unlocked in custom games. Loadout options and stuff.

Had the same problem a few month back. I think the problem are the power supplies. Some old ones are not working with HDMI. There was a info graphic for this, but I can't find it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why did everyone slrp the frame rate n the games smoothness so hard pre release? Did it change in between or does gaf bend over that easy for a couple 343 stickers n hats?

The maps that people are getting framerate issues probably weren't played by gaffers (Vortex, Meltdown).

Unless you guys are getting issues on the smaller maps.

mhi

Its obvious Ragnorok is HUGELY (understatement) popular.

Hopefully we get more remakes. Even through Forge would be cool.

I certainly agree, but ask yourself how much of this fun and competitiveness was 343's doing, and how much was Bungie's, and then I think his second point still stands. The core of this game is superb, that's Bungie, the fringe systems and mechanics are atrocious, to me.

Valhalla, Bungie, Mantis, 343, is a fairly good example that can be extrapolated broadly, in my opinion.
I don't know if this makes much sense. Bungie has been taking Halo further and further away from what it was, and 343 made 4, not Bungie. You can thank 343 for bringing back the core gameplay, which Bungle didnt have the sense to do. At a minimum we can thank 343 for not going full on Reach.

Arnie

I don't know if this makes much sense. Bungie has been taking Halo further and further away from what it was, and 343 made 4, not Bungie. You can thank 343 for bringing back the core gameplay, which Bungle didnt have the sense to do. At a minimum we can thank 343 for not going full on Reach.

You're referring to Reach, which was by all accounts a side project Bungie were obligated to do as part of their separation, a project they used to experiment with fresh ideas because of the game's disconnection to the mainline series. It by no means should be used to represent what Bungie would've done had they not split from Microsoft, and had made Halo 4.

Bungie's design traditions were things like the Battle Rifle (and DMR), like the core movement speed, jump hight, and general weapon balance we see today. I enjoy Halo 4 because it allows me all those things that Bungie produced and crafted for the first three Halos, not because of the new experience, ordnance, or loadout customisation systems. I don't enjoy Halo's sudden lack of base parity, I don't like the new trend away from map control, or the lack of respawns.

Breaking down Halo 4 from a purely design perspective, it's the mechanics and systems Bungie introduced, restored following Reach, admittedly, that bring about enjoyment, not any of the 'new' features 343 have introduced.

That sounds really harsh, and I'd rather be waxing lyrical about 343's design prowess, but I simply cannot. We had the discussion pre-launch about whether anyone could suggest one single design addition that was both original, and progressive for Halo's core feel. We didn't get any suggestions then, and after nearly a week of playing I don't expect any now, which isn't to say people aren't having fun with the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You're referring to Reach, which was by all accounts a side project Bungie were obligated to do as part of their separation, a project they used to experiment with fresh ideas because of the game's disconnection to the mainline series. It by no means should be used to represent what Bungie would've done had they not split from Microsoft, and had made Halo 4.
Didn't you hear Marty in the ViDoc? Reach was the definitive Halo from the people that brought you Halo.

Ken

Unlimited sprint to other base on Ragnarok CTF, suicide flag runs, -20, no problem.

Unlimited sprint to flag at mid, pick up flag, die, flag falls through map, problem.

Top Bottom