• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

The Prom Knights fall unto the same problem as the enemies teleporting in in Doom 3, they're invincible during the entire animation despite being fully physically present before that. So when they decide to do it one after the other, yeah, not fun or interesting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Complex, okay.

With Solace, that's what the underground section is for.
Except with Solace there's absolutely no reason to be underground where none of the action is, and because people will never go there.

Complex is great in concept, but likewise there's no reason to be inside any of those tiny buildings they've made outside of the big central one. Complex is just terrible overall.

Ken

Oh right, the total pointless bottom section nobody ever goes down unless it's a power weapon or carrying an objective(because they know nobody actually goes down there).

Except with Solace there's absolutely no reason to be underground where none of the action is, and because people will never go there.

I go down there to get to the other side. In Slayer Pro, no one checks down there so you can easily get behind the other team.

GhaleonEB

Played through the first two missions of Spartan Ops, and a bit of the third. Quick thoughts.

Land Grab was probably more fun than I had in the entire Campaign, so it's off to a good start. Just a nice, big sandbox to play in with lots of toys and a surprisingly large number of enemies dropped in. Just messing around I was using Ghosts, Wraiths, long range DMRing, close range FRG romps and a bit of vehicle boarding via ambushes. If this is at all indicative of how Spartan Ops missions will be set up, I'm pretty excited.

The second mission was a pretty straight forward mini-level, complete with the Campaign's maddening "press three buttons to progress" mechanics, but it was the right bite-size, concentrated flavor of combat.

The third mission was Prometheans and I turned it off there, since I have come to really not enjoy fighting them. (More on that another time.)

I'm looking forward to seeing where the series progresses. 50 missions is going to be a LOT of content.

Some less positive observations:

As reinforcements were dropped off in Land Grab, every one of them got a waypoint marker, a little red wedge arrow over their heads. At one point there was a solid red mass of such markers clustered up where a pair of Phantoms dropped guys off. This is an example of when information meant to be helpful was in fact annoying. And then, when I got down to the last five guys, the radio dude tells me he's going to paint the last targets for me, something done in Reach's Firefight to help you clean up rounds. So the red arrows changed color. Were they a bug?

Too much information is a theme I noticed. The radar now packs so much information into it, it actually takes something away from the game. It not only has an enormous range, but it seems to flag enemies who are not moving. It also now has markers on the edges to flag enemies who are not even in radar range yet, telling me there are going to be some enemies within this 50 yard radar soon. The consequence is I find myself reflexively using the radar more than I ever have before, because it's telling me what's around every corner. And around the one after that, for good measure. I think I'd rather play with no radar, than one that telegraphs encounters this thoroughly and so far out. (And I don't like playing without radar, historically.)

A notification that a Challenge has incremented pops up every single time you contribute to completing one. Today there are Challenges for killing Elites, Grunts and Jackals. So, every single time I kill one, a big text box popped out of the right side fo the screen to tell me. The box itself is about 3x the size of the one that was used in Reach, so it's already intrusive. But Reach also set thresholds to let you know how you were progressing on the Challenge. If the goal was to kill 100 dudes, we'd get updates at 25, 50, 75 and then 100 when it was cleared. The goal to kill Grunts causes this giant box to pop up 100 times. This got obnoxious in five minutes, and I hope it's dialed way back.

All in all the game is just dumping too much information on me. Too much advance notice of enemies, too many Challenge pop ups, too many waypoints for enemies and objectives and ordnance and allies and so on. It adds up to a very cluttered experience.

But what I objected to the most was what happened when I died: no checkpoint, just a multiplayer style respawn. I was playing single player, and the realization that I had both unlimited lives and no consequence at all for death was a saddening one. I'd long since accepted that Spartan Ops was not a survival mode. But a mode where there is absolutely no consequence for dying? And in fact doing so is beneficial, because you keep your progress and get a refueled load out for doing so? I understand the reasoning when playing online - they want it be an arcade/multiplayer type of experience, but the lack of a checkpoint system in single player is upsetting. That means even in single player it's just a matter of throwing enough bodies at an encounter to break them.

Halo campaigns are, for me, fun in part because they force you to learn from your mistakes. I'll try an encounter one way, fail, and then try a different approach. And when that works, maybe next time I'll try something totally different and see how that works, to mix it up. Spartan Ops lack of a checkpoint system removes that from the game. Now, if something doesn't work, if my approach was flawed, I don't have to learn from it. I get both the benefit of killing some dudes, and a respawn with a refueled load out. So in some ways you get rewarded for failure.

Not sure if that's something that can be tweaked post-ship. But the total and complete removal of any challenge at all, nevermind survival, is going to suck a huge amount of the replay out of the mode for me. I hope there are ways to update it to a more traditional checkpoint system.

Ken

That's what I started doing but it becomes kind of a game of who's behind who.

At that point the problem is not with the map but with the weird respawn points/logic, but that kind of plagues every map.

When are you getting on? I need a party for 4v4 playlists.

FyreWulff

I realized Halo 4 has already changed what I want to Forge. In Reach with 1 flag / 1 Bomb / Invasion present, I liked making more asym maps than sym maps. Since 4 is all Slayer / 2 Flag / Oddball, makes a bit more sense to persue sym designs.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Not sure if that's something that can be tweaked post-ship. But the total and complete removal of any challenge at all, nevermind survival, is going to suck a huge amount of the replay out of the mode for me. I hope there are ways to update it to a more traditional checkpoint system.

What about the Iron Skull?

GhaleonEB

What about the Iron Skull?

I have not used that. Without checkpoints, wouldn't that just reset the entire mission? There's a line between encounter to encounter challenge and punishment, and resetting the entire mission on death would make me play so cautiously none of the experimentation I throw into combat would come into play.

willow ve

Why are these maps so huge? I get that they are designed for sprint... but they shouldn't force me to sprint all the time just to get into the game...

TheOddOne

Gif that frankie
iBDFsLrNGyrun.gif

At that point the problem is not with the map but with the weird respawn points/logic, but that kind of plagues every map.

When are you getting on? I need a party for 4v4 playlists.

My shit is dead. Unless someone gives me a batt or charger/charger you can put reg batts at the LAN you won't see me on till next week lol.

And with that time to bounce.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I need some help. I'm trying to connect a Halo 4 LE Console to a monitor, but it's not outputting sound. A standard 360 S works, but not the LE console. What could the issue be?

Using HDMI.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What am I looking at, exactly? Your ranking of them as far as multiplayer goes? Campaign? Or as a total package?

Multiplayer, although I'm not completely sure on how I feel about 4. As time goes on, more exploits will be found.

malfcn

More questions.

How physical is Cortana?
How can she steal the index (or did she download the codes) and things like that?
And how does she seem to be able to interact with everything?

Computron

I got another xbox yesterday and just beat the campaign. Finally got to play Halo 4 since I bought it on Tuesday.

Does anyone else have really bad framerate issues on BTB maps when there are lots of players on screen in outdoor sections?

Ken

Hey, I need some help. I'm trying to connect a Halo 4 LE Console to a monitor, but it's not outputting sound. A standard 360 S works, but not the LE console. What could the issue be?

Using HDMI.

Have you tried pressing RB to insert Cortana in.

More questions.

How physical is Cortana?
How can she steal the index (or did she download the codes) and things like that?
And how does she seem to be able to interact with everything?

She downloaded the files contained in the index.
She can interact with anything that is controlled by a computer system.

Top Bottom