• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
1345239693_504_FT171692_foghorn-leghorn-thats-a-joke-son-you-missed-it-flew-right-by-ya.jpg

Oh I get the joke on the RIP HALO stuff, but how much can you use the same joke before it loses it's meaning?

zlatko

Banned
Is it just me, or could armor lock be balanced if it was a one-time activation for exactly 1,5 seconds only (with a long recharge), similar to thruster packs?
You could use it to block a single incoming rocket or vehicle, but you can't spam it.

Armor lock did get balanced---it's called HardLight Shield now.

@monsterfracas

Wow...well then I stand corrected in that it should be nerfed to not do that. If you turn camo on,scrambler should be up plain and simple.

Fuck me...going home to make an active camo class for Infinity slayer tonight. I'll see how much kills I rack up more than usual as I feel that will make a big difference if it works like you say it does.

Tunavi

Banned
Oh I get the joke on the RIP HALO stuff, but how much can you use the same joke before it loses it's meaning?
That's all we do lol. Serious question, Why do you even still post here? I swear you hate everyone but Frankie and David

I would get sick of this place if i hated you guys

Fracas

#fuckonami
anyone want to party up and play some regicide?
Get out
Armor lock did get balanced---it's called HardLight Shield now.

@monsterfracas

Wow...well then I stand corrected in that it should be nerfed to not do that. If you turn camo on,scrambler should be up plain and simple.

Fuck me...going home to make an active camo class for Infinity slayer tonight. I'll see how much kills I rack up more than usual as I feel that will make a big difference if it works like you say it does.

What? No, you'll be part of the problem!

Nope, if you're either immobile or crouching while using camo (can't remember which), you don't show up on the minimap at all. No scrambling, nothing. I don't know why camo got a buff, but it did.

Crouching, I though it was a bug first because they were moving invisible and I didnt saw the scrambled radar.

Nope, if you're either immobile or crouching while using camo (can't remember which), you don't show up on the minimap at all. No scrambling, nothing. I don't know why camo got a buff, but it did.

This is wrong. I'm not sure where you got that idea, but when the active camo armor ability is active, it puts up blue dots on the radar. It's not "scrambling" anything, but it is communicating a rough location. This is independent of mobility.

If an active camo user moves—to clarify—the dots are still there *and* they appear on radar as a red dot. Same as always.

I will add that I believe active camo should be nerfed in that it should disabled radar for the user complete. No radar if it's on.

HiredNoobs wanted a detailed analysis of why Regicide is bad, so I'm going to give it a shot.

The biggest problem is something that people have repeatedly posted evidence of in this thread: the fact that it is possible to completely dominate a match, and still lose to a player you destroyed because he got a bunch of point-laden Regicides, something that is impossible for you to do because you've been the king for the entire match. Someone posted a picture of a prime example of this about ten pages or so back, where they lost to a guy that went -13. Any gametype where it is possible for someone to have a performance that bad and still win is fundamentally broken. This is simply not disputable.

HiredNoobs also seems to have a fundamental misconception of what FFA is supposed to be. It is NOT, and never has been, a gametype based on teamwork and alliances. Neither is one supposed to have any special incentive to pursue the leader above other players, nor to stay alive if one is already the leader. (Seriously, why would one need any extra incentive to stay alive?) It is simply a test of who is the better individual player.
In old FFA, if the leader was a clearly better player than you, you came up with strategies to stay away from him while still working toward 25 kills in a different area of the map. Now, you have to keep throwing yourself at him in the hope of that Regicide bonanza, which when you finally get it will probably be because his shields are worn down by the avalanche of scrubs swarming towards the waypoint over his head.

zlatko

Banned
Get out

What? No, you'll be part of the problem!

I have too much of a man chub for hologram in this game to stick with Active camo. I'll definitely try it out just to see how much of an impact it makes though so I have a better perspective on if the nerf I just mentioned is the right one.

I REALLY want to be a sentry user, but fuck me if that isn't the most worthless piece of shit in the game by a long metric mile. Thruster is more useful than it. Both of those could really use a buff of some sort.

heckfu

Banned
HiredNoobs wanted a detailed analysis of why Regicide is bad, so I'm going to give it a shot.

The biggest problem is something that people have repeatedly posted evidence of in this thread: the fact that it is possible to completely dominate a match, and still lose to a player you destroyed because he got a bunch of point-laden Regicides, something that is impossible for you to do because you've been the king for the entire match. Someone posted a picture of a prime example of this about ten pages or so back, where they lost to a guy that went -13. Any gametype where it is possible for someone to have a performance that bad and still win is fundamentally broken. This is simply not disputable.

HiredNoobs also seems to have a fundamental misconception of what FFA is supposed to be. It is NOT, and never has been, a gametype based on teamwork and alliances. Neither is one supposed to have any special incentive to pursue the leader above other players, nor to stay alive if one is already the leader. (Seriously, why would one need any extra incentive to stay alive?) It is simply a test of who is the better individual player.
In old FFA, if the leader was a clearly better player than you, you came up with strategies to stay away from him while still working toward 25 kills in a different area of the map. Now, you have to keep throwing yourself at him in the hope of that Regicide bonanza, which when you finally get it will probably be because his shields are worn down by the avalanche of scrubs swarming towards the waypoint over his head.
WWE-FAN-WITH-WEIRD-HAIR-CLAPPING.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is wrong. I'm not sure where you got this idea, but when the Active Camouflage armor ability is active, it puts up blue dots on the radar. It's not "scrambling" anything, but it is communicating a rough location. This is independent of mobility.

If an Active Camo user moves—to clarify—the dots are still there *and* they appear on radar as a red dot. Same as always.

I'm about to test it right now, but I'm 99.99% sure that the scrambling effect from camo goes away when crouching.

zlatko

Banned
This is wrong. I'm not sure where you got this idea, but when the Active Camouflage armor ability is active, it puts up blue dots on the radar. It's not "scrambling" anything, but it is communicating a rough location. This is independent of mobility.

If an Active Camo user moves—to clarify—the dots are still there *and* they appear on radar as a red dot. Same as always.

Yeah this is what I thought was happening. The blue markers give you a general direction of where to look, and if they stand you see the red for an exact spot.

Edit: When you test it, check to see if the blue markers go away for the user AND an opponent. If the opponent still see's the markers then it's fine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That's all we do lol. Serious question, Why do you even still post here? I swear you hate everyone but Frankie and David

I would get sick of this place if i hated you guys

Huh? I don't hate anyone. I've never really said that at all. I just get tired of the new memes that people have created to trash talk the game that get posted all the time. If I hated you guys I wouldn't be here. HaloGaf has a lot of awesome people, we just have a tendency to post random shit and memes over discussion sometimes.

The meet up at PAX was one of the highlights of the year for me. We all seem to have very different personas on the internet than we actually do in the outside world. People even tell me Kyle is far less sarcastic outside of Gaf!

We may all have our bitch-fests, but I doubt anyone here really loathes the place. Kind of defeats the point of being here.

I <3 everyone in HaloGaf.
Except Elzar, that guy is a weirdo. :p

I'm about to test it right now, but I'm 99.99% sure that the scrambling effect from camo goes away when crouching.

Everyone crouches when they have camo on. Blue dots are still everywhere.

I know this, because every kill I get on an invisible guy is due to blue scrambling and their inability to untoggle before getting outshot.

Tawpgun

My team controls Rag hill the entire game.

Still lose.

Other team got snipers on binaries on snipers on binaries

INFINITY SLAYER

Pop

What is the PDW, is it a AR?

I love the fact I can see my K/D in the scoreboard, really liking what I am playing so far. Feels like a lot of the menu's are a step backwards though, the new custom class stuff is a clusterfuck and why the hell did they get rid of all the leaderboards etc from Black Ops 1? Or am I just missing them?

PDW is an smg. Has the biggest clip of all of them with 50.

I enjoy the new custom classes menu, take a bit to getting used to though. All the leaderboards are in the Barracks.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm not sure if it's my TV's sound but the sniper feedback is really bad sometimes. I just silently go red screen with a small rumble and then maybe a sound on the killing second shot, but it feels delayed.

This post made me sad.

The only strategy I can see behind N00b's post is that ganging up and keeping the leader in respawn (lol, not in H4LO) is a good way to make him/her lose ground while giving you the edge. Beyond that, I agree with you. Great post.

Havok

Can someone do a quick summary of the evolution of melee throughout the Halo games?

i.e. doesn't it take 3 smacks to kill in H3 and Reach?
It's been two hits to kill since Halo 3. Reach introduced the shield delimiter, where any amount of shield would block the first melee with no bleedthrough to health as long as it was not with a melee power weapon like a Sword.

Halo 2 had an inertia-based system, where you could only get a 2 hit kill if you jumped beforehand because jump melees did more damage than running melees which did more damage than standing melees, so melee damage was variable depending on player action. With objective items, you could only get a one hit kill if you jumped beforehand, and the Brute Shot was the same way.

Akai__

Nice, you should record it with a GoPro or take pictures. GTR is definitely on my purchase list one day. Since my car exploded on the track I've been driving a turbo Miata around. Nothing like driving a boosted RWD convertible on summer tires all over New Hampshire as snow nears lol

The Subaru's built, I have the VIN, and I believe it's in the United States and on a car carrier coming from Baltimore. Should be here within a week, hopefully.

That's great. Hope it's not a pain to wait for it.

And yeah, I will definetely make some picture and/or record it, when I'm getting it, but I will wait a little bit longer, until the weather is good and I have some more free time.

---

Anyways. I would participate in this "photoshop" contest, but I'm not talented, with these things.

To all participants, good luck. :)

I have to say, even though I was a huge proponent of join-in-progress before release, I've come to change my tune after playing Halo 4 for a couple of weeks. It's not that join-in-progress itself is a mistake, but its implementation leaves A LOT to be desired.

Here's how JIP works in Call of Duty: you're placed into a match midway through. If you're losing, then all you have to do is wait for the match to finish, after which all players are placed into a lobby and the next match starts fresh. In Halo 4, however, there is no real postgame lobby, so oftentimes you'll join a lopsided match which ends quickly, and then you're thrown into another JIP game by matchmaking. In COD, JIP is only an issue for the first match, and everything afterward works as normal. In Halo, it really is random and sometimes you'll get stuck in a loop of being placed in matches halfway finished.

The concept of JIP is a great one, but the execution needs work.

Incorrect. I was speaking in the most general sense. And you do if you're smart.

Just fucking no.

Go watch any of the pro-level FFA matches (old or new). Pistola/Karma/Strongside didn't win by going after one player over others. They won by looking for easy kills, advantageous positioning, and being aware of other players, regardless of who they were, and staying alive at all costs. Essentially, killing everyone else. You know, like an FFA.

People are literally doing better and losing and coming here posting links that are visual statistical proof of facts. This is actually a thing that is happening in real life in 2012. Regicide's not a competitive gametype, it is a party gametype.

Yes...I'm ignorant. You are just defending shit for no reason to cause problems. You are a troll and have been a troll since your Trueskill shtick.

This type of result is inherent in the gametype. When killing a certain person is worth more just because they happen to be in the lead (aka they're usually better), that incentive makes them more likely to die next. People literally play bad on purpose to win this gametype. It's retarded.

What's real dumb is when more than one person has the same leading score and only one is king. Yup, this is competitive alright.

I've had games where I was king for almost the whole match (died like 3 times). Had like 6 more kills than the closest person to me, but lost because the longer you're the king, the more bonus points the idiots get for killing you. Yup.

1JFDx.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay, just tested camo. I was wrong, the scrambling effect never goes away, regardless of when crouching, for the user and opponents. However, in Reach, even with the scrambling effect, one of the dots on the radar is always the user. This isn't the case in 4. Only way you be able to see the camo user on radar is if he is in your line of sight and moving without crouching.

Everyone crouches when they have camo on. Blue dots are still everywhere.

I know this, because every kill I get on an invisible guy is due to blue scrambling and their inability to untoggle before getting outshot.
I've had to deal with a bunch of camo crouchers haunting our base - the jammer dots only show up when they're in motion. Not sure if they show up when crouch walking though.

Unless my games have been borked. But I've been in a few positions where I knew one of these guys was nearby, but just couldn't find him, and then I'd get assassinated. I'm talking about no visual cues, and nothing on the motion sensor.

zlatko

Banned
Okay, just tested camo. I was wrong, the scrambling effect never goes away, regardless of when crouching, for the user and opponents. However, in Reach, even with the scrambling effect, one of the dots on the radar is always the user. This isn't the case in 4. Only way you be able to see the camo user on radar is if he is in your line of sight and moving without crouching.

The blue markers make it easy to flush them out. Face that direction, chuck a nade/use a hologram, see what happens. The player ability that gets me killed most often is probably guys in Regen field. I need to back off for a sec or chuck a nade to finish them, but often I'm too stubborn and try to 1v1 shoot out them. :p

It's been two hits to kill since Halo 3. Reach introduced the shield delimiter, where any amount of shield would block the first melee with no bleedthrough to health as long as it was not with a melee power weapon like a Sword.

Halo 2 had an inertia-based system, where you could only get a 2 hit kill if you jumped beforehand because jump melees did more damage than running melees which did more damage than standing melees, so melee damage was variable depending on player action. With objective items, you could only get a one hit kill if you jumped beforehand, and the Brute Shot was the same way.

Thanks! I hated the Reach system and am SO glad they changed it for 4. I think right now it's absolutely perfect.

I have to say, even though I was a huge proponent of join-in-progress before release, I've come to change my tune after playing Halo 4 for a couple of weeks. It's not that join-in-progress itself is a mistake, but its implementation leaves A LOT to be desired.

Here's how JIP works in Call of Duty: you're placed into a match midway through. If you're losing, then all you have to do is wait for the match to finish, after which all players are placed into a lobby and the next match starts fresh. In Halo 4, however, there is no real postgame lobby, so oftentimes you'll join a lopsided match which ends quickly, and then you're thrown into another JIP game by matchmaking. In COD, JIP is only an issue for the first match, and everything afterward works as normal. In Halo, it really is random and sometimes you'll get stuck in a loop of being placed in matches halfway finished.

The concept of JIP is a great one, but the execution needs work.

To add to that, I think CoD does a better job with the team balance based on scoring. Not even sure Halo does that?

I also don't think games should be joinable as soon as the score deems a game "halfway"

It doesn't seem to work fast enough in Halo though, CoD always seemed to be more quick.

Also yea the lack of a good visual lobby makes it seem, different...

To add to that, I think CoD does a better job with the team balance based on scoring. Not even sure Halo does that?

I also don't think games should be joinable as soon as the score deems a game "halfway"

It doesn't seem to work fast enough in Halo though, CoD always seemed to be more quick.
Then people would just quit once their team was losing, wouldn't they? And those left behind would just be screwed, as its almost guaranteed to be a bad time when you're outnumbered.

What about just excluding JIP progress games from aggregates like win/loss, but keep the kill stats/medals etc. Also, give JIP players an XP bonus multiplier.

EU Doubles Tourney Watchers - waiting for Tashi and Ram to set the standard but it's hard to be passionate about it.

I want to like Halo 4 so much more than I do.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The BTS Environment Art article on Polycount was great.

Top Bottom