• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
OT

I got the job!

I'm gonna be a Federal Correctional Officer! WOO!

Gonna graduate with my BA and start my career all at the same time. Fuck yeah!

Ramirez

Okay, just tested camo. I was wrong, the scrambling effect never goes away, regardless of when crouching, for the user and opponents. However, in Reach, even with the scrambling effect, one of the dots on the radar is always the user. This isn't the case in 4. Only way you be able to see the camo user on radar is if he is in your line of sight and moving without crouching.

I prefer 4's radar scramble, because once the person does move, their position is given away immediately. In Reach, there was no way to consistently pick out which of the 1,000 red dots was actually the user...

TERIr.jpg

Once you see it... (not mine)

Just had a strange glitch in Big Team.

I was battling some guy and my teammate dropped a Re-Gen. Enemy shot a rocket and killed me.

For the rest of the game the Re-Gen sound effect wouldnt go away. Every noise in the game was using that annoying filter that you hear when in a regen. Very annoying to where i muted the TV for the rest of the match.

Anyone playing Halo 4 right now? Have no one on, also im not shit at the game.

Shadders

One day left to enter my notebook competition!

Imagine for a second that you are the Master Chief, you're stranded on Requiem and all you have with you is a pen and your notebook. What are you going to do?

Will you write a poem? a short story? a diagram of the location or a doodle of Cortana? Submissions can be a drawing or text, bonus points if you actually use a pen (or pencil) and paper to do it.

First prize gets a Limited Edition copy of Halo 4 and a never sold in shops Halo 4 notebook. Second prize is a Halo 4 notebook.

Send your submissions to cowboy@littleenglishhaloblog.com or Tweet them to @EnglishHaloBlog. I will feature the best submissions on the site.

[url="http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/11/competition-win-limited-edition-copy-of.html]More info.[/url]

Anyone knows where I can find the smiling Cortana pic? I saw it on the Main Xbox interface tab

I got the job!

I'm gonna be a Federal Correctional Officer! WOO!

Gonna graduate with my BA and start my career all at the same time. Fuck yeah!

I dont know how the correctional system works in your country but still take care.

OT: NC State is a nice campus. And holy wow at the engineering department!

Heh, you must be on Centennial Campus. For some reason Aeros were one of the last majors to get switched over, so all my classes were on Main Campus.

Be sure to stop by Talley and get some ice cream.

---
Um, Halo and stuff. They had a 2v2 H2 tournament on campus once and it was awful. Every game was just 4-split on a projector.

Duji

Oh I'm sorry, I can't post ignorant one-liners like Juices and Tunavi too?

It's really not, and I've made several meattier posts about why it is a better design than base FFA. Basically, it helps players make better desicions in an FFA by marking the leader, and by giving incentive for lower players to pursue him, as well as incentive for him to stay alive and continue killing. People are judging it without much thought.

343 admitted that Regicide is definitely not a competitive gametype and is instead one where you have fun running around & chasing the king. Kevin Franklin said this in some interview (I forget where).

So even 343 disagrees with you.

Homeboyd

Imagine for a second that you are the Master Chief, you're stranded on Requiem and all you have with you is a pen and your notebook. What are you going to do?

Will you write a poem? a short story? a diagram of the location or a doodle of Cortana? Submissions can be a drawing or text, bonus points if you actually use a pen (or pencil) and paper to do it.

First prize gets a Limited Edition copy of Halo 4 and a never sold in shops Halo 4 notebook. Second prize is a Halo 4 notebook.

Send your submissions to cowboy@littleenglishhaloblog.com or Tweet them to @EnglishHaloBlog. I will feature the best submissions on the site.

[url="http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/11/competition-win-limited-edition-copy-of.html]More info.[/url]
Can I just have it?

:))))))))))

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Computron

No, that is not what I am talking about. I read this article when it came out, it is similar to a couple they had for Reach and its beta, but its not a technical system analysis. More of a performance anylisis.

This article had practically no technical techniques or details, only performance and IQ analysis. The only technical details where speculative, such as the mention of the potential implementation of distance field shadows. But this isn't anything new or insightfull, we were speculating on that a while ago on Beyond3d. The rest of the article was performance stats, praise and first party developer comparisons.

There are quite a few things of interest that are left unexplained. Corrinne Yu tweeted pictures of the Microsoft traditional Patent Cube she got for 'single pass radiosity from depth buffer', that would be interesting to elaborate on since it seems like it is very similar to an already existing technique used by CryEngine 3 for Terrain Occlusion, and personally doesn't seem that impressive to me from what I have seen/experimented with. They could definitely elaborate more on how they are using spherical harmonics in forge lighting. I would also be interested in hearing about how they managed to fit all the differed shading gBuffers into memory at 720p and managed the bandwidth issue. Also the HDR system seems to have gotten an upgrade over Reach. And I am sure they got quite a few behind-the-scene workflow enhancements as the Polycount article suggests.

For Reach, they had like a 5 page blowout with tech interviews with the engineers. They talked about their Hybrid Deferred-Renderer, frame/gBuffer sizes, overview of imposter systems, etc...

kylej

Banned
Huh? I don't hate anyone. I've never really said that at all. I just get tired of the new memes that people have created to trash talk the game that get posted all the time. If I hated you guys I wouldn't be here. HaloGaf has a lot of awesome people, we just have a tendency to post random shit and memes over discussion sometimes.

The meet up at PAX was one of the highlights of the year for me. We all seem to have very different personas on the internet than we actually do in the outside world. People even tell me Kyle is far less sarcastic outside of Gaf!

We may all have our bitch-fests, but I doubt anyone here really loathes the place. Kind of defeats the point of being here.

I <3 everyone in HaloGaf.
Except Elzar, that guy is a weirdo. :p

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/343-Industries/190537/

I'm starting to grow weary of this game. I'm trying to like it, but all it does is piss me off. I want to like BTB Slayer, but it's just a bunch of shit happening everywhere. Perhaps with the exception of Ragnarok, you never know where to anticipate gunfire from. Getting pinged from 360 degrees above and below.... Everyone has a power weapon. Invis bull crap. Fifty vehicles driving around everywhere. The DMR is stupid on big maps. JIP blows and doesn't work well without dedicated servers. Sprint is annoying. Go into pro slayer where it's not a joke of AA's, but getting matched against full teams. Can't turn assassinations off. I feel like i'm getting smacked around by a big dick left and right...

IHaveIce

Banned
A friend of mine can't join me and I can't join him, xbox says it is because of NAT, but our NAT is both open .. we played days ago together what should we do :/

Project

Hey guys, I have two pre order DLC (Locus Helmet, and Pulse Skin) I am looking for Deadeye and the Venator/Raptor Pre order skins if anyone would like to trade.

Crazyorloco

My experience with Halo starts really with 3, a lot of Reach, and now a ton of 4. So I can't make a call on if H2 era MP was really what made Halo fuck awesome, and if going to that formula would make H4 with updates or H5 even more likable for my tastes.

I LIKE instant respawn EXCEPT on certain game types. I don't see the point of it in Swat for example.

Ordnance drops are a problem? How ? 80% of the time what I can call in is crap(shields,speed boost, a shotgun on a big ass map), and even more so it's little things for global drops. Often those drops are grenades, needlers, and scatters.

I'd get it if ordnance was making it rain damage boosts and rockets galore, but it doesn't.

343 should I agree just give you guys 1 or 2 playlists with no ordnance, weapon spawns, no instant spawns, no run, BR only, no perks, etc etc and 1 be slayer and the other be objectives. That way you have the choice and everyone can stfu.

Agree with everything here. Ordinances aren't like COD killstreaks which are extreme in that you can get over 10 kills with them. I think 343 should make a really basic playlist for those that don't like the new features...or those users should just play halo reach. People still play that.

orznge

Banned
Agree with everything here. Ordinances aren't like COD killstreaks which are extreme in that you can get over 10 kills with them. I think 343 should make a really basic playlist for those that don't like the new features...or those users should just play halo reach. People still play that.

I'd play some Halo 2 but they took the servers down so that they could increase XBL friends list capacity to 1000.

Your contest is invalid, because the Chief would use the pen to stab Covenant forces through the eyes and the notebook pages to inflict so many papercuts his enemies would literally fall into pieces.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy.

I think that's actually a valid reason this time, or at least in my experiences.

Agreed.

It actually wasn't a joke haha.

HaloGAF plays Reach: "This is bullshit. I don't get any good matches, I'd happily wait longer and get better skilled matches."
HaloGAF plays Halo 4: "This is bullshit. Get me into a game, this takes too long."

Karl2177

Heh, you must be on Centennial Campus. For some reason Aeros were one of the last majors to get switched over, so all my classes were on Main Campus.

Be sure to stop by Talley and get some ice cream.

---
Um, Halo and stuff. They had a 2v2 H2 tournament on campus once and it was awful. Every game was just 4-split on a projector.

I'll be back tomorrow as well, so I'll stop and get some then.

In other news, I'm about halfway done writing my initial thoughts on Halo 4 MP, still trying to figure out the scheduling algorithm for Ram, and sipping on some Root Beer. Hopefully I'll have the first two done, by the end of the week. In the meantime, enjoy this map that I made in SketchUp.

WkFgQl.png

TERIr.jpg

Once you see it... (not mine)
Wow. That's pretty good.

vhfive

anyone else getting this when they try to look up their halo 4 stats on waypoint.
3Jw41.png

I want to complain about a game of regicide I had but can't do it properly without my stats

zlatko

Banned
anyone else getting this when they try to look up their halo 4 stats on waypoint.
3Jw41.png

I want to complain about a game of regicide I had but can't do it properly without my stats

I got it too. Hoping it's to fix what my spartan looks like since I have updated my look and it won't change on the site at all.

Top Bottom