• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

70px-H4_-_Retribution.png

I love this medal sooo much. Everytime I hear Retribution I get the chills of awesomeness. :) I have 40 apparently.

Also Camo can suck it... I've been using Hologram and I've never been happier. I would like to make a statement that Hologram is honestly one of the best AAs in the game. It is ridiculously useful.

You know you want to claim the title of stalker.

I've already planned to do this. ;)

On WP, real?

http://files.myfrogbag.com/y10np3/2012-11-2511-18-17.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://files.myfrogbag.com/y10np3/2012-11-2511-24-16.jpg[IMG]

What is wrong with his profile? [URL="https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=ddez%20drol"]Linky[/URL].[/QUOTE]

"so Frankie, since multiplayer is canon based how in the fuck does one see with a face like that?"

"..."

Redford

aka Cabbie
I've stopped playing with an AA now in some of my loadouts. HUD looks much better and less cluttered without ordnance and AA meters. They couldn't think of a more creative way to display them than two circular meters stacked on top of eachother over an already enormous motion tracker, apparently.

TheOddOne

I've stopped playing with an AA now in some of my loadouts. HUD looks much better and less cluttered without ordnance and AA meters. They couldn't think of a more creative way to display them than two circular meters stacked on top of eachother over an already enormous motion tracker, apparently.
Been rocking no AA's since the beginning. Didn't even unlock them with Spartan Points, which I now I have 35 of.

Oh so very close to the breaking point on this game. Every single goddamn fucking match of BTB turns into 12 people voting for Ragnarok (what the fuck?), everyone hanging back until one team loses their Mantis, then the team with the momentum takes the hill and has 5 guys hang out on the hill and on top of the Pelican and dongs on the other team for the whole match. Then the 5% of the time you're not playing on Ragnarok you're on Exile, where after nearly 3 weeks the Scorpion and Gauss Hog still exist, defying all reason. So in a similar fashion, one team will get one (or both) of those and just run a goddamn train on the other team.

Then if I play any of the smaller playlists it's nothing but people camo crouching and 1-shotting you with Boltshots. I'm actually way better at this game then previous Halos, so it's not like I'm upset because I'm getting donged on, it's just all so incredibly fucking stupid. They seemingly just took what they wanted from other games and made changes, but didn't actually balance anything around how Halo and it's existing weapons and maps worked. Even when I'm with a full group of friends and wrecking people, it's just not that fun. And that's when you can actually play and you're not getting split into separate teams (or even put into other games, which is a frequent issue two of my friend keep specifically having), joining games literally 2 seconds before they end (which they said wouldn't happen), matchmaking doesn't get aborted, and you haven't lost all of your loadouts and/or Spartan Points.

We're basically playing now to fill bars, which makes me realize that it's more or less any other shooter now; there's nothing "special" about Halo anymore :/

Why do you think I'm done with this game? It's lost of all the reasons I play Halo. Others can have fun but the reasons I picked the game up year after year are dead and buried.

rakka

one of the few things i like about halo 4 is the choice of stance. some of them are silly but yeah, it's slightly more customization that doesn't affect gameplay, ok in my books. breach is a long way away

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's probably why those new city maps likely take place in New Phoenix.
You think they'll push out paid DLC maps to everyone for SpOps? Is there any evidence that all of SpOps isn't on the disc anyways?

Once again, I'm shocked no one has datamined the game yet, or if they have no one's talking about it.

On WP, real?

2012-11-2511-18-17.jpg

2012-11-2511-24-16.jpg

What is wrong with his profile? Linky.
Fake. I mean today is officially the first day it's even possible to get SR130 because of XP caps, but I doubt he hit XP cap 45 minutes into the day.

My solution to this pre-Halo 4 launch:

V55Ng.png

This is how the HUD is in-game. Lightning bolt represents your AA, square is ordnance.

cCCbc.png

This was my proposed fix. Put Ordnance in the middle, add a Sprint meter on the right, AA usage on the left.

TheOddOne

You think they'll push out paid DLC maps to everyone for SpOps? Is there any evidence that all of SpOps isn't on the disc anyways?

Once again, I'm shocked no one has datamined the game yet, or if they have no one's talking about it.
Yeah, I don't think they will do this. I think campaign environments and on disk MP environments will prolly show up in SpOps season 1. After that, who knows.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Speaking of the HUD, does anyone feel that 343 was succesful in making you feel as though you're inside the helmet? Genuinely curious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In campaign, somewhat.
Yeah, in conjunction with a lot of the airy particle effects and the distortion from Cortana.

I think it was a good balance of "hey I'm a dude with a helmet on" and "hey I can still see what I need to see clearly and efficiently." They only really fucked with stuff in your periphery, and I never found it to be intrusive in gameplay TBH.

GhaleonEB

Speaking of the HUD, does anyone feel that 343 was succesful in making you feel as though you're inside the helmet? Genuinely curious.

A bit. I think they succeeded in making me feel like I'm playing as someone who is heavy, powerful and fairly nimble, without actually weighing me down, as Reach did. More so than in past games, they captured that feeling of being (what I've always imagined it was like to be) a Spartan. The audio and the HUD movement contribute a great deal to it. I think this aspect is one of the more successful elements in the game.

In Campaign, the little bits of the helmet that are visible actually annoyed me a great deal, as I was constantly noticing them. I didn't notice them so much in War Games or Spartan Ops, possibly because there's so much other UI that I was focused on.

I'm going to go back to playing a bit this week, and try to put together some more comprehensive thoughts on the game now that I've had some time away to mull about it, rather than the constant bitching I was doing initially.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I guess so. I like the use of the shield-down alarm during the first-person sequences at the beginning to give that sense of peril.

(it's also the only SFX besides the rocket farting sound that carried over from the old games)

Had a great time playing tonight. Really enjoying Dominion with a party of six, although I found a party of five left us typically without a 6th. Not so good. To be fair, the matchmaking tried to help us; we sat around making matches for an oddly long time on a couple occasions.

Also had a lot of fun in SWAT as a pallet cleanser. One DMR bullet, clean and quiet always gives me a boner.

As for kids complaining about Halo and exclusively playing BTB, stop it? There are 10 other playlists and they're all 100% better.

Ramirez

Had a great time playing tonight. Really enjoying Dominion with a party of six, although I found a party of five left us typically without a 6th. Not so good. To be fair, the matchmaking tried to help us; we sat around making matches for an oddly long time on a couple occasions.

Also had a lot of fun in SWAT as a pallet cleanser. One DMR bullet, clean and quiet always gives me a boner.

As for kids complaining about Halo and exclusively playing BTB, stop it? There are 10 other playlists and they're all 100% better.

They'd just find something to complain about in those too, don't fool yourself!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I liked the little helmet elements so much I retroactively thought it was always in Halo.
Halo 3 did have the visor lining.

VrH79.jpg

Bungie nailed that in Halo 3.

According to my cat.
lol
A bit. I think they succeeded in making me feel like I'm playing as someone who is heavy, powerful and fairly nimble, without actually weighing me down, as Reach did. More so than in past games, they captured that feeling of being (what I've always imagined it was like to be) a Spartan. The audio and the HUD movement contribute a great deal to it. I think this aspect is one of the more successful elements in the game.
Definitely, there's not much chance to appreciate that "weight" in MP though what with grenades and guns going off everywhere. I do like that the HUD bobbing is not at all distracting as I thought it would be.

Speaking of the UI, this new menu UI is really throwing me for a loop. When someone joins a custom games rather than glancing over I have to read things sideways and figure out who the new person is to great. In reach it was easy to see who the new person was. And it takes a little bit more work to count how many people are on each team. And Nok mentioned how all the names are in Caps which makes names less distinguished between players. Trying to find someone in the active roster is also a pain. With so many friends online sometimes I have to scroll through 3+ times to find the person that I just saw jumped online a couple minutes ago.

The file browser is also fairly well buried in the menus. And trying to figure out how to get from your fileshare to your recommendations to your local files is a little more of a hassle. While all of these are just little things they all compound resulting in a bit more time spent in the menus rather than offering a more streamlined experience. IMO this has been one of the more cumbersome menu setups of the Halos. :(

Korosenai

Just played some 2v2 gamebattles and I let my friend pick the match.

2v2 ar starts koth on complex.

Most terrible time i've ever had with a video game.

NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

As far as on-disc content goes, all you get is a UNSC Spartan Program Phoenix emblem for SR-130. If they added something online it's news to me. But why would he already have the flood skin on the progression screen? Wouldn't it make more sense to just display it getting unlocked?

How do other FPSes handle Map DLC? I honestly can't recall any that do it well. Then again I don't really play other Console FPSes too much.
Well the most famous situation is COD, which does it perfectly for their situation. In COD, you are essentially guaranteed to be matched up in a lobby with others than have the same DLC as you do.

Now before people scream population, there are a lot of playlists in the COD games, and a nice chunk of them have Reach style < 1000 players in it. Of course, COD matchmaking emphasizes connection and speed above all, Reach did something similar, but their DLC algorithms still didn't work at all, even when 343 apparently increased their weight by a significant amount (apparently the DLC sales for Reach were extremely low).

Something like Battlefield has it nice because it's all servers, so they just add servers for different map sets (including ones that have them all implemented).
There are only achievements for the first 5 episodes of Spartan Ops, and I'm pretty sure there is a Xbox certification rule about the 1000 achievement points for a game have to be on-disc content.

Given that, and David and co. talking about still working on Spartan Ops when the game had already gone gold, I think that just the first 5 episodes are on the disc.
Yeah I think so, but they could have done some more with some more Metroid influence. Some more stuff akin to the Metroid Prime helmet effects would have been a nice touch.

Computron

TCKaos and Exwife, you guys are awesome.
We need to do more customs.
Good. Fucking. Games.

Halo 4 MM BTB? Kill me now.

Halo 4 Customs on Remakes with H-2/3 settings? Yes please.

Pit, Turf, Sanctuary, Foundation, all these maps play very well with Hitscan BRs, and H4's better networking/hit-markers. That much is appreciated. We just need a TU that enforces 3 second re spawns, adds back the Red X, and a team throwback playlist. Hell, we even played on an Uncaged remake just for kicks and that was infinitely better than in Reach, especially due to the high player movements speed, jump hieght, in addition to the better forge lighting.

Speaking of which, who's up for some customs this week? We got people lined up for Saturday, but I am ready to go whenever you see me online.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
TCKaos and Exwife, you guys are awesome.
We need to do more customs.
Good. Fucking. Games.

Halo 4 MM BTB? Kill me now.

Halo 4 Customs on Remakes with H-2/3 settings? Yes please.

Pit, Turf, Sanctuary, Foundation, all these maps play very well with Hitscan BRs, and H4's better networking/hit-markers. That much is appreciated. We just need a TU that enforces 3 second re spawns, adds back the Red X, and a team throwback playlist. Hell, we even played on an Uncaged remake just for kicks and that was infinitely better than in Reach, especially due to the high player movements speed, jump hieght, in addition to the better forge lighting.

Speaking of which, who's up for some customs this week? We got people lined up for Saturday, but I am ready to go whenever you see me online.

The problem is is even in customs once you start gellin with a semi-competent group of people, the instant respawns kills any fun factor. You either get spawned into the shit, or a dude spawns on top of you and you get smoked before you can do anything. It's insanity.

FyreWulff

I've come to the conclusion after some more tests that the changes made in 4 to the spawn system (zones barely mattering, etc) was to accomodate instant respawn.

In Halo 3 or Reach for sure, there's a cooldown effect on spawns and events that change them. If I walk over a spawn in your side of the map, I'll deweight it for you, and each second that passes that change in weight decreases until it's reached it's default state. If you die on a spawn, you'll deweight it from your death. In Reach, if I'm looking at a spawn with a weapon, I'll deweight it.

In any case, instantly respawning in any of these games would guarantee you the worst possible spawn available for the engine to choose from at the time. As mentioned in my Halo 3 writeup, the cooldown effect resulted in spawns being used no more than twice in worst cases as better spawns would become better choices from cooling down, even with bro weighting in effect.

This is totally an assumption, but the changed weights reflect an attempt to make the spawn system function with instant respawns. They massively upped the bro weight and the enemy-is-present weighting to attempt to overcome the fact that leaving the system alone as it was in 3 and Reach and allowing instant spawn would have resulted in Bad Times. So they probably figure they should make the system heavily favor spawning you near your teammates and away from enemies where they stand or looking, even if it's into THEIR spawn zone.

If my assumption is correct, they broke the spawn system and then mangled it to fix what they broke by adding it.. Much like Ghaleon's observation that they added a problem (everyone starting with PP) and then adding something to counter that (perks that lower EMP time)

Tawpgun

I've come to the conclusion after some more tests that the changes made in 4 to the spawn system (zones barely mattering, etc) was to accomodate instant respawn.

In Halo 3 or Reach for sure, there's a cooldown effect on spawns and events that change them. If I walk over a spawn in your side of the map, I'll deweight it for you, and each second that passes that change in weight decreases until it's reached it's default state. If you die on a spawn, you'll deweight it from your death. In Reach, if I'm looking at a spawn with a weapon, I'll deweight it.

In any case, instantly respawning in any of these games would guarantee you the worst possible spawn available for the engine to choose from at the time. As mentioned in my Halo 3 writeup, the cooldown effect resulted in spawns being used no more than twice in worst cases as better spawns would become better choices from cooling down, even with bro weighting in effect.

This is totally an assumption, but the changed weights reflect an attempt to make the spawn system function with instant respawns. They massively upped the bro weight and the enemy-is-present weighting to attempt to overcome the fact that leaving the system alone as it was in 3 and Reach and allowing instant spawn would have resulted in Bad Times. So they probably figure they should make the system heavily favor spawning you near your teammates and away from enemies where they stand or looking, even if it's into THEIR spawn zone.

If my assumption is correct, they broke the spawn system and then mangled it to fix what they broke by adding it.. Much like Ghaleon's observation that they added a problem (everyone starting with PP) and then adding something to counter that (perks that lower EMP time)

343 wat r u doin

FyreWulff

It's kind of annoying, as Computron's Foundation remake showed (I promise I'll get around to looking at the spawns comp, today was busy). Since the bro spawn weight is massive, if people insta-spawn they'll mostly likely spawn on you. So they'll bro weight everyone to the same room you're stuck in, and when you spawn next, you'll be in that room again, you essentially end up chain-weighting your own team into a spawn trap. In 3 and Reach, even if you walked away from your spawn and died within a certain amount of time, those spawns would still end up deweighted as if you died right on top of them.

If you're stuck in a trap like that then your best best is to wait for the spawn timer to count down, but if the rest of your team is mashing X you're still fucked.

Top Bottom