• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just got to the "Freaking eggheads" line in the last Chapter out right now. This is the most embarrassing writing and dialogue I can think of in a game in a looooong time. Who the fuck writes and then approves this shit? Apparently competent dialogue that doesn't make you hate all of the characters and has you giving a shit about anything going on takes way too much production time.
SCIENCE IS GOING TO KILL US ALL
Does someone seriously say "freaking eggheads"? wow
Commander Palmer, you know, the senior officer of the Spartan branch.

The Spartan IVs blatant disprespect for science makes me dislike them greatly. They wouldn't be Spartans if it wasn't for science them bunch of shit heads. Hell, they wouldn't even exist.

Omni

Mmm, well I like Spartan Ops. Reused environments are meh and if I were to pay for a season two I'd probably expect a little more, but the story is great. So far we've got 18 minutes and 26 seconds of rendered awesomeness in the form of cutscenes to view whenever we want and that alone makes it better than Firefight, IMO.

Does someone seriously say "freaking eggheads"? wow

The best part, I was playing with clicked and he jokingly says "fricking eggheads" and literally a second afterwards Palmer says it.

Okay, yeah, but does it have magnets??

Magnets literally made making a map harder because they removed precision controls. I didn't use em once when i was rebuilding my map, a map which takes 4 hours to forge in reach took 12 in halo 4.

Redford

aka Cabbie
The gun's fun. It's easy to predict its use. It takes an inevitable Halo encounter and allows players to pull out something clutch.

1sk starting weapons are a big no-no, and I'm still all for removing it if that was in doubt. Players such as yourself need the boltshot to combat chasers though - one of the easiest things to do in every Halo - so I dunno what more I can say. Keep on protecting dem casuals I guess!

Booties

Banned
You do know that a level designer and mission designer are two separate jobs right? I am not a level designer.

We've done the best job possible under the circumstances, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished with Spartan Ops so far. It's far from perfect, but we created the content within the time and production restraints we had. As I said in the Bulletin last week, of course we'd love to have a different environment for every single mission, but that just wasn't a possibility.

We've been listening to a wide range of feedback from the missions so far, but be aware not all of the feedback is possible to implement. That's just the realities of the production schedule we were and still are working under. Spartan Ops has sort of been an experiment, and although, thousands of people are tuning in and playing every week, it's not for everyone.
If you knew you had too many restraints to do a really great job, then why did you bother?

The characters are just too unbelievable. I cannot imagine someone putting Del Rio and Palmer in charge of anything. Both of them are seemingly lacking in intelligence.

We went from great characters like Gravemind, Truth, Regret, Johnson, Guilty Spark, and the Arbiter to this:

To this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzLRPzEpPbY

First you must hate them, so that later you will love them.. more ;]

I wonder who will be the first AAA multiplayer franchise to incorporate a map editor like this.

Also, I kind of get the vibe from Spartan Ops that it could've been cool as a toolset in multiplayer. Isn't something like this what people were asking to do with FF since ODST? Although I'm enjoying it, it definitely feels like something made from a Forge/FF hybrid.

MrDaravon

At the end of the last Chapter I think I broke the game, and managed to ride around on a Watcher (?) for like 2 minutes as it flew around the map. It was pretty sweet. Hold on guys I'll make a clip

why they add Dominion in that way if B is taken that team wins because the other team will give up capturing B and spends the entire match killing in their own base....I just dont belive that design.

I hear the 37th Chamber has good opinions. Maybe you should enter that one.

Great input.

Well I think there's a happy balance somewhere. More so than just "This section is ranked, this section is not ranked"

First off all, True Skill matching should be pretty strict in all of the playlists. Competitive matches are just more fun for both parties. I think though there should be very few ranked playlists. I'm talking like 3 max. Do 4v4 Slayer, 4v4 CTF and 8 man FFA. Have 343 work with the community (AGL, MLG and the pro gamers) to put out the gametypes and settings. Over time, through feedback and monitoring the gametypes will be tweaked when necessary.

Now what about the ranks themselves? 1-50? Arena Style? StarCraft 2 style? XP based (can lose XP)? Some combination of them all?

Keep it small and focused, make it ranked and people will play it. Also, I strongly believe that if you label the playlist, "MLG" or "AGL" or something similar, people will stay out of it just because of its name. It's going to happen. There are opinions people have about these groups that will turn them away forever. Call it Competitive Ranked or some shit.

Gotta do a podcast about this. Typing sucks.

The funny thing is, in alot of games these days the ranked playlists are the ones with the leas populations. Who knows if that would apply to Halo in the current age.

Gears 3 comes to mind. It became impossible to find a ranked match (One that has no JiP, trueskill matched players.

The majority preferred the Jip, unranked games public matches. Whereas Halo 2/3 days the ranked playlists were king. Arena in reach failed hard (Although some might say that was still down to a lack of 1-50)

Id be all up for ranked if there is no 1-50 system like before. That system just bred assholes.

FFA Throwback is really fun, Killtackulars and Overkills aplenty :p I can actually use a BR in this mode aswell - I wish the maps where smaller, but its fun.

Havok

I just got to the "Freaking eggheads" line in the last Chapter out right now. This is the most embarrassing writing and dialogue I can think of in a game in a looooong time. Who the fuck writes and then approves this shit? Apparently competent dialogue that doesn't make you hate all of the characters and has you giving a shit about anything going on takes way too much production time.
I don't think that's worse (at least in a vacuum) than the line from Episode 2's Sniper Alley mission, where she (often, but not always) says "Snipers...freakin' campers." Yeah, the eggheads line is pretty bad when you take the overuse of that word into account, but the campers line is just this sad attempt to be cute and instead beats the player over the head with "HEY THIS IS A VIDEO GAME SO WE MADE A VIDEO GAME JOKE FROM A THING IN THE VIDEO GAME AREN'T WE FUNNY?! VIDEO GAMES!" and it does nothing but turn me off immediately.
The majority preferred the Jip, unranked games public matches. Whereas Halo 2/3 days the ranked playlists were king. Arena in reach failed hard (Although some might say that was still down to a lack of 1-50)
No, it failed because it had some of the worst messaging possible to players about what in the world was going on with the system, was never advertised within the game outside of one or two Super Jackpot weekends, had competition-killing settings and loadouts for a very long time, and was just another Slayer playlist in a game chock full of Slayer playlists. Why would anybody go there when they could go into MLG and not deal with on-spawn jetpacks being in a so-called barebones playlist, and get more than just yet another mediocre Slayer experience? Why would they pick it over Super Slayer, Team Slayer, Squad Slayer, TU Beta Slayer, or even SWAT and Snipers when it doesn't offer anything more than maybe you might someday get close, competitive matches but probably not ever?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mmm, well I like Spartan Ops. Reused environments are meh and if I were to pay for a season two I'd probably expect a little more, but the story is great. So far we've got 18 minutes and 26 seconds of rendered awesomeness in the form of cutscenes to view whenever we want and that alone makes it better than Firefight, IMO.
The story so far:

There are Covenant on Requiem, they're bad so we gotta kill them.
Here's generic rookie "The eyes and ears of the player/someone we can relate to"
Hey Crimson, push that button
We got a Promethean artifact, eggheads are gonna geek it.
Shit froze my Infinity!
Palmer: I'll kick it!
Great, egghead touched the artifact and is gone now
Token Black Guy spartan stop, don't be headstrong with a shotgun! Goddammit.
Call in old lady egghead, see if she can figure this box of nerd out.
Hey she made the original Spartans you know.
K
Hey old lady don't touch that
Shut the fuck up, I know what I'm doing
K
Hey old lady, I wanted to talk you about the original Spartans
Halsey receives an anonymous text message on her iPad 3000
Tell me your story rookie
Well my fam & friends died so I thought I should try to become Batman

Oh and all the Elites sound like Chewbacca ate a garden hose.

But the CG's pretty, I wish I could download it in 1080p.

edit: Granted, I am being harsh. But I'm disappointed with the way it went and I don't believe this is going to get players to "come back" to the game every week. Maybe it does/will but I don't think it will attract its own audience or foster the playerbase.

Good Question.
I've never seen the allure in episodic gaming or in trying to latch some kind of broadcast TV model to on-demand entertainment. If Netflix made me wait a week between streaming episodes to try and force some TV experience of we'd all see it as stupid and artificial.

I mean, I understand it for Halo 4, but not as a water cooler thing (outside of the Spartan Ops cinematics), but more of a please-dont-trade-our-game-in thing.

Japanese Klingon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The story so far:

Here's generic rookie "The eyes and ears of the player/someone we can relate to"
Shit froze my Infinity!
K
K

This is amazing.

Id be all up for ranked if there is no 1-50 system like before. That system just bred assholes.

I'm an asshole for helping little Johnny get a 50 (which makes him feel better about himself so that he may grow up to do great things with his life) that he will never play on which won't impact your experience at all.

XP "assholes" are the greediest, most selfish kind of "assholes" around.

Asshole.
<3

The story so far:

Shit froze my Infinity!
K
K

edit: Granted, I am being harsh. But I'm disappointed with the way it went and I don't believe this is going to get players to "come back" to the game every week. Maybe it does/will but I don't think it will attract its own audience or foster the playerbase.

Relevant

kylej

Banned
If one of the most expensive games ever made has grey Forge blocks again like it's 2007... how much money did Ubisoft spend on Far Cry 3? And it's open world? Not a linear 4 hour long campaign? Ubi must've spent at least.... $3-4 billion.

I'm an asshole for helping little Johnny get a 50 (which makes him feel better about himself so that he may grow up to do great things with his life) that he will never play on which won't impact your experience at all.

XP "assholes" are the greediest, most selfish kind of "assholes" around.

Asshole.
<3

I agree.

Carrying someone to a 50 was fun, watching people AFK for EXP is not fun.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Guy from Twitch is streamers for suggestions as to what they would like changed. Pretty cool. I've suggested multiple resolution options of non partners. I know a lot of people can't view my stream because of the high resolution and high bandwidth so they leave and don't come back. I get it all the time and it sucks. It would be great even if they could offer just one lower option like 480p or something. It would make a real difference.

ElRenoRaven

The story so far:

Shit froze my Infinity!
K
K

ROFLMAO. I can't stop laughing after reading that.

Striker

Look at that, then we look at Halo 4's Forge.
5v50l.gif

kylej

Banned

Yo can someone hire the dude who wrote Sovereign's dialogue in Mass Effect to work on future Halo games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_UAIRSSOM&t=0m53s

This shit is still so freaking awesome. C'mon 343 spend some cash and get some real writers, stop letting the interns write Spartan Ops and Campaign.

zlatko

Banned
If one of the most expensive games ever made has grey Forge blocks again like it's 2007... how much money did Ubisoft spend on Far Cry 3? And it's open world? Not a linear 4 hour long campaign? Ubi must've spent at least.... $3-4 billion.

Campaign isn't 4 hours. It took 7 and a half hours on Legendary solo for me. Also, am I one of the people who prefers a more narrowed approach when it comes to FPS'? I mean I like a little exploring for collectibles and secrets, but I like my open world games to be a RPG or a RockStar game. I never complete those kinds of games anymore just due to the lack of time at all with work, school, and other commitments like a g/f. I maybe have time for 1 big ass open world game/rpg a year now.

Really though, do you think FarCry 3's MP component will be better than Halo 4's? It's a waste of a map editor to me if the actual MP is trash or tacked on. Co-op does seem fun and maybe better than SpartanOps.(Not saying much. I like the story stuff for SpOps, but I've never been a fan of co-op modes in games to begin with)

Fracas

#fuckonami
nope.

BC2 was good. BF3 isn't.

Oh no, I agree, Bad Company 2 is much better. I never got to play it with a team though, only by myself. I didn't get many tense matches because of that. When I played with a squad in BF3, I had an absolute blast.

Top Bottom