• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

LOVE this game.

Love spartan ops too. If I had one complaint it would be to maybe add a bit more to the objectives and let us play on legendary or with skulls in matchmaking,

Otherwise spartan ops is so awesome.

I am rather annoyed by this weird xp system though. I much prefer it to REACH, but I'm already capped out at 70. Strange design decision.

Karl2177

People dont cheat to increase those things. And you dont see people making new accounts to slingshot their ranks.

Clearly you havent played through all the shit in Halo 2/3 if you cant understand the drawbacks of that system.

Ummm... yeah they do.

And the flaw isn't the 1-50 system itself. It's the implementation of it. The same thing happened with Reach's Arena. It itself is a great system, but it was locked away to one poorly communicated playlist. It failed not because the system sucked, but because its implementation was flawed.

Talents

Banned
People dont cheat to increase those things. And you dont see people making new accounts to slingshot their ranks.

Clearly you havent played through all the shit in Halo 2/3 if you cant understand the drawbacks of that system.

You're so wrong by saying people don't try and cheat to raise them. Even in H4 now, a few of the people on my friends list go into a game like Regicide, plug some guests in and basically just kill the guests over and over for quick exp/medals.

I meant that people boosting hasnt affected me or any of the matches ive played.

I havent had any matches that have had cheaters or boosters affect me in Halo 4 so far. So yeah i think were better off without it.

Who gives a shit if people boost in Spops or fill a Regicide match with a party? That doesnt affect you why would you care.

Once my matches arent affected i dont care.

Fuck 1-50

Talents

Banned
I meant that people boosting hasnt affected me or any of the matches ive played.

I havent had any matches that have had cheaters or boosters affect me in Halo 4 so far. So yeah i think were better off without it.

Who gives a shit if people boost in Spops or fill a Regicide match with a party? That doesnt affect you why would you care.

Fuck 1-50

And people say I am ignorant.

What? Of course people boost the shit out of those systems. You don't remember the target locator exploit in Reach? How people would just sit with AFK guests in grifball and just farm kills?

How about the people who just AFK now just to earn XP? The people who don't play objective anymore because wins don't mean shit? The game hasn't been out for long enough for people have an efficient way of boosting, but to say that people don't boost and cheat to complete levels/commendations/challenges is silly.

I played the shit out of Halo 2 and 3, and yea there were problems. People are going be giant asshats online. But instead of "lol lets just get rid of it who cares" how about trying to fix the problems?

Fracas

#fuckonami

Fuck 1-50

So if doesn't happen to you, it doesn't happen ever? What

So if doesn't happen to you, it doesn't happen ever? What

No im not saying it doesnt happen, Im saying who cares if people boost their exp ranks? That shit doesnt spoil other players experiences?

I did have matches affected by modders and standbyers in H2 and people boosting 50s in Halo 3.

None of that in Halo 4 (So far)

Are people actually saying that poeple boosting the Target Locator etc affected them?

No it didnt, how does someone else rank affect you? And more importantly why do you care?

If people want to waste their time let them. I couldnt give a shit.

Once it doesnt interfere with my enjoyment of the game leave them at it.

heckfu

Banned
No. Im saying who cares if people boost their exp ranks? That shit doesnt spoil other players experiences?

I did have matches affected by modders and standbyers in H2 and people boosting 50s in Halo 3.

None of that in Halo 4 (So far)

Are people actually saying that poeple boosting the Target Locator etc affected them?

No it didnt, how does someone else rank affect you? And more importantly why do you care?

If people want to waste their time let them. I couldnt give a shit.

Once it doesnt interfere with my enjoyment of the game leave them at it.

Regarding stacking regicide, it inflates your k/d, which affects true skill, which affects my matches.

The story so far:

There are Covenant on Requiem, they're bad so we gotta kill them.
Here's generic rookie "The eyes and ears of the player/someone we can relate to"
Hey Crimson, push that button
We got a Promethean artifact, eggheads are gonna geek it.
Shit froze my Infinity!
Palmer: I'll kick it!
Great, egghead touched the artifact and is gone now
Token Black Guy spartan stop, don't be headstrong with a shotgun! Goddammit.
Call in old lady egghead, see if she can figure this box of nerd out.
Hey she made the original Spartans you know.
K
Hey old lady don't touch that
Shut the fuck up, I know what I'm doing
K
Hey old lady, I wanted to talk you about the original Spartans
Halsey receives an anonymous text message on her iPad 3000
Tell me your story rookie
Well my fam & friends died so I thought I should try to become Batman

Oh and all the Elites sound like Chewbacca ate a garden hose.

But the CG's pretty, I wish I could download it in 1080p.

edit: Granted, I am being harsh. But I'm disappointed with the way it went and I don't believe this is going to get players to "come back" to the game every week. Maybe it does/will but I don't think it will attract its own audience or foster the playerbase.

tumblr_mdke95AKso1ql3hdvo1_r1_500.gif

well... you have more fun seeing the CGs and boosting XP than playing Spartan Ops.

MrDaravon

Not everyone. JIP is great.

Nobody here can speak for the entire audience.

JIP is great in theory, but what's actually happening is that it's splitting groups, putting you in games that are about to end, and in smaller playlists it will start games lopsided and never fill them. I'm all for JIP, but it's implementation is poor right now.

Just popping in to ask, is this where we arrange online co-op games for campaign and SpOps? Not being able to join random campaign games is a serious pain.

Duji

One thing about the BR is its still got bullet spread so even if you go shot for shot with a DMR user, Guess who has a random percentage of not landing a headshot even if both of you shoot perfectly?

Yea...Why introduce randomness into your gunplay? Choose the DMR folks.

The bloom on the DMR can get a lot worse than the BR's spread. This isn't a H3 BR by any means whatsoever. I still use the DMR though.

I think bullet spread is a reasonable way to limit the range of a weapon. Problem is, the DMR has no such limitation, so it demolishes BR users outside of medium range.

Bullet spread is a terrible way to limit the range on a weapon. You want to know how to limit the range of a weapon? Give it a 2x scope and reduce the aim assist range. Make it so that landing those long distance shots is only limited to the player's skill.

Yea if I had it my way this is how Halo 4 would work

You enter Playlist Selection its seperated by 3 categories.

Warmup: (JiP - Drop In Drop Out)(10Minute Games - No Score Limits)(Rotating Map Playlist):
FFA
Team Training
Mercenaries - No Partying but still team games.
BTB

So you pick one and are almost instantly thrown into a game of FFA, Team Training, and BTB. Players names are ranked by KillsPerMinutein the game in FFA, Teams with Highest ScorePerMinute are on top to show who is doing better at the moment. Games are statistically ignored and unrecorded, but you can watch and make clips of everything from the moment you entered to the moment you left. All three would have the Personal Ordnance system and Global Ordnance and Instant Respawn

Competitive (No JiP)(1-50 Visual Rank)(Games start and stop as they always have)
Team Slayer - This would use Personal/Global Ordnance. To 500
Pro - No ordnance, traditional weapons on map system. To 500
Doubles - Personal Ordnance, No Global, Weapons on Map. First to 250.

Community
Grif
Flood
Weekly (SWAT, Snipes, rotating at the moment with others added later)

JIP is great in theory, but what's actually happening is that it's splitting groups, putting you in games that are about to end, and in smaller playlists it will start games lopsided and never fill them. I'm all for JIP, but it's implementation is poor right now.
Splitting groups seems like a bug that just needs to be fixed, so yeah we agree on some botched implementation. The other stuff can really vary. Its rare for me to get placed in a game that's near the end, and its rare still for to get JIP'd twice several times, much less twice in a row. I don't like that it can start matches with uneven teams, but even then most of the time people fill in within the first 10 seconds.

Was actually nice to see some online honor in one of my matches. Infinity Slayer on Haven and it started out four to one, favoring my team. We all just crouched at our initial spawn and waited 10 seconds for the game to fill in the rest of their team before going into action. Good stuff.

Edit: @xxjuicesxx. Love those, especially the addition of a mercenaries playlist and doubles.

Nutduster

Neo Member
Forgive me for asking a question that's probably been asked a lot, but - what is going on with the backup server problem? I have a friend that's been stuck on it for a couple of days and can only play matchmaking with other exiles; he can't join our weekly customs lobby, play co-op with me, or even see/show his actual rank. A little Googlin' shows me this has been going on for a while now. Why no fix? Any official comment on the problem?

crazybydefault

Neo Member
Yea if I had it my way this is how Halo 4 would work

You enter Playlist Selection its seperated by 3 categories.

Warmup: (JiP - Drop In Drop Out)(10Minute Games - No Score Limits)(Rotating Map Playlist):
FFA
Team Training
Mercenaries - No Partying but still team games.
BTB

So you pick one and are almost instantly thrown into a game of FFA, Team Training, and BTB. Players names are ranked by KillsPerMinutein the game in FFA, Teams with Highest ScorePerMinute are on top to show who is doing better at the moment. Games are statistically ignored and unrecorded, but you can watch and make clips of everything from the moment you entered to the moment you left. All three would have the Personal Ordnance system and Global Ordnance and Instant Respawn

Competitive (No JiP)(1-50 Visual Rank)(Games start and stop as they always have)
Team Slayer - This would use Personal/Global Ordnance. To 500
Pro - No ordnance, traditional weapons on map system. To 500
Doubles - Personal Ordnance, No Global, Weapons on Map. First to 250.

Community
Grif
Flood
Weekly (SWAT, Snipes, rotating at the moment with others added later)
Add DLC-required playlists to that (when DLC is released), and I think that would be an excellent system.

Tawpgun

If one of the most expensive games ever made has grey Forge blocks again like it's 2007... how much money did Ubisoft spend on Far Cry 3? And it's open world? Not a linear 4 hour long campaign? Ubi must've spent at least.... $3-4 billion.

I get that we all wanted something Far Cry esque. But the point is, using the current Halo engine, its not possible. Objects are easy, creating entire new geometry is more difficult.

So all your requests and salt for a better map maker are kinda moot. Though I will say, the fact that Forge barely improved (and got worse in some areas) is terrible.

HOWEVER.

If you want to start campaigning for a better forge, now is the chance. Halo 5 is going to be on more powerful hardware, theres a chance they could rework the engine to make it possible. But I doubt it.

juices supporting personal "ordinance" for doubles? I think I lost all respect. Don't hire juices.

It would be a set loadout. Because of first to 250 it would only effect the game once each player I believe? It would be towards the end and keep it from being a cat/mouse stale lockout of whatever teams ahead playing slow to keep the lead.

zlatko

Banned
Is far cry 3 any good? The reviews made it sound awesome, and that map maker... are there magnets and shadows?

Reviews say it is, but it's mostly due to the SP experience. Very few are massive praising co op and MP for it.

If you are going to get it, and can, do PC version to make the most out of the SP experience.

Nutduster

Neo Member
I get that we all wanted something Far Cry esque. But the point is, using the current Halo engine, its not possible. Objects are easy, creating entire new geometry is more difficult.

So all your requests and salt for a better map maker are kinda moot. Though I will say, the fact that Forge barely improved (and got worse in some areas) is terrible.

HOWEVER.

If you want to start campaigning for a better forge, now is the chance. Halo 5 is going to be on more powerful hardware, theres a chance they could rework the engine to make it possible. But I doubt it.

I don't know if forge needs to go full-on Far Cry, because I get that its aims for ease-of-use and file size (as well as the engine requirements) are quite different. But there's so much more they could do within the basic confines of what it is now, than what they've done so far. Foundry was a big step forward from H3's default forge, and Reach was a big step forward from that. By contrast, Halo 4 is flailing in a mud puddle. No progress whatsoever, and as you say, it regressed in some areas, which is sad. I've always wanted a version of Halo that was also a paradise of user-created content. The interest is there - despite the limitations of forge, the community for it is large.

Duji

It would be a set loadout. Because of first to 250 it would only effect the game once each player I believe? It would be towards the end and keep it from being a cat/mouse stale lockout of whatever teams ahead playing slow to keep the lead.

Set as in what? Rockets, Bi-Ri, Damage Boost? And since when is a winning team playing slowly at the end a problem? The losing team should capitalize and win the next batch of power weapons. All PoD does is promote slippery-slope gameplay aka snowballing. That kind of thing only makes sense in League of Legends, where games would literally last three hours if it wasn't in place.

The most PoD should do is give the player nades, and I'm even iffy about that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Next Kill Wins is so misleading. If the game is 590-590, then yea, the next kill wins. The announcer should say, "1 more kill!" or something instead.

Next Kill Wins is so misleading. If the game is 590-590, then yea, the next kill wins. The announcer should say, "1 more kill!" or something instead.

I really dont like "Next Kill Wins" but its "Team mate joined" which I think can be more misleading. Would it be that much harder to make the commentary team specific? Opponent joined would be a lot more useful to hear if that's the case.

Yeah people weren't team killing some dude in here the other night who had the flag so they could score it for the points instead.

Top Bottom