• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

IHaveIce

Banned
Yep if they got the right people for choosing maps for MM it will be good, I played on really good forge maps already.

But thinking about which maps were greenlighted for Reach makes me worried :(

JB1981

Reach multiplayer was more infuriating that anything I have witnessed in Halo 4. Sure there are things about Halo 4 multiplayer that are really annoying, such as Camo, Boltshot, AR range and more but even then I really don’t see why people are now being nostalgic about Reach. Reach wasn’t a good game and even after the must needed Title Updates it still wasn’t. It was a decent game, with more bad concepts then good. There was far more randomness in Reach then Halo 4 which cheated you out of kills and promoted (at least in matchmaking) bad behavior from players.

Let me break it down. Armor Lock cheated me out of kills or caused random deaths.

Definitely overpowered but most players used Sprint rather than Armor Lock.

Jetpack, jetpack and jetpack. What hasn’t been already said about this? Something just did not factor in the hit detection, no matter how many shots you took.

Never really noticed much of an issue with this. I died a lot using Jetpack. [/B]Team members killing me for the sniper or power weapons, sometimes in the heat of moment when it could have saved us both but the jackass had to have it or killing me the moment they find out I had a sniper or Rocket Launcher.

Never once happened to me. Could theoretically happen in any Halo game.

Speaking of teammates. Reach was quit city and guests galore.

Halo has always been this way. JIP is a good workaround.

Guests galore all up in that motha.

Halo has always had guests. It's not a phenomenon specific to Reach..

Grenades were the most inconsistent thing ever, my grenades are like firecrackers but everybody else has nukes with unbelievable range.

Definitely more powerful than Halo 4 but I don't think they broke the game. Probably a little overpowered though.

Map selection was terrible out of the box.

Maps definitely could have been better. Overall map selection is pretty good now.

One of the things Reach did right was weapons, the DMR and Grenade Launcher are wonderful things. Outside of the actual gameplay, the UI was impeccable and community driven support (such as options, Firefight and Forge) was utterly fantastic. Bungie gave every possible option, from the smallest to the biggest. One thing 343 can learn from, Bungie gave everything even if it might seem insignificant at first sight.

Agree completely. I am sure the beta Bungie had for the game helped a lot.

With all that said and done, Reach will always have a place in my heart. Even if I am being overly harsh and treating it like an unwanted child. There were times where it just clicked and I loved it, but not enough of that happened to really see it as “well it was just the times”. It was just a failure, an interesting failure but still a failure.

TL;DR People are crazy for going back to Reach or listen to Nasty.

MrDaravon

Even with the significant issues I have with Halo 4, going back to Reach over it is crazy talk. I'd either go back to 3, or just not go back to anything at all and move on.

Tawpgun

Why do people care what some ex-bungie employee thinks about the game. Halo obviously has not went in the direction bungie wanted it to but its when it a direction the majority of fans are happy with.

As a Halo Fan since CE, I love Halo 4.

Some don't and that is fine but bringing the previous EU stuff to the forefront was a good move for the series.
Because Jamie is an awesome designer. If you read his blog its like holy shit where were you during Reach? :(

A lot of his design ideals contradict the decisions made in Reach

JB1981

Even with the significant issues I have with Halo 4, going back to Reach over it is crazy talk. I'd either go back to 3, or just not go back to anything at all and move on.

i went back, bloom is pretty bad :(

there are still about 67,000 players on reach right now. thats pretty impressive, i think, since 4 just came out. I'm not even sure Halo 4 has doubled that amount.

MrDaravon

i went back, bloom is pretty bad :(

there are still about 67,000 players on reach right now. thats pretty impressive, i think, since 4 just came out. I'm not even sure Halo 4 has doubled that amount.

Wait, there are 67k people on Reach right now? Because there are only 24,818 people on War Games in 4 right now. That seems hard to believe.

I respect Bungie as a developer and wish them success in the future but I care what they (and the ex-staff) think of Halo 4 as much as i care what Cliffy B thinks of the studio. Its nice to see another Devs opinion but the posted above twitter comments come off with a tone of "Look how they damaged OUR franchise"

I dunno comes off as petty

I feel like I'm missing something - bungie hasn't actually said anything regarding halo 4 have they?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
They should replace Adrift with Relay in the 4v4 lists.

Edit: Thanks! Those look ok. 9 matches won should have a higher credit pay though.

Does anyone who dislikes Prometheans think that some of it has to do with them basically being robots? I think there's something more satisfying about killing organic, blood spurting enemies than flying robots and robot dogs that blow up into a few pieces.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does anyone who dislikes Prometheans think that some of it has to do with them basically being robots? I think there's something more satisfying about killing organic, blood spurting enemies than flying robots and robot dogs that blow up into a few pieces.
I don't know man, that kill effect is pretty damn awesome for Prometheans. I don't think I need to see blood splatter ever again. Never really cared for the presence of the effect either in the past.

FyreWulff

Jesus Christ, almost three times as many people playing Reach as 4?

RIP Halo

It's almost as if the people that were playing Reach up to this point actually wanted to play Reach.

Team Slayer was always between 9000 - 11000 before 4 came out, and it's stayed in that range since 4 released. It's currently at 9350 right now.

edit: eh that was a bit much

Nirvana

This. Overall I like them and after playing Legendary definitely appreciate that battles with them can be engaging and interesting, but in any game I have ever played, I would rather fight organic beings than robots. I think that's why I got bored of Borderlands 2 more quickly, because it just turned into robot killing for the whole second half of the game.

Also the Prometheans have a bit of a detachment from the world, they don't get in vehicles, they don't board vehicles, all of their movement essentially negates the map's geometry; Crawlers can climb walls, Knights teleport and Watchers fly. They only make buzzing noises, they are all the same standard colouration and I think they become a bit boring to look at because they blend into their environments too much.

I'm hoping they at least go through a basic redesign in Halo 5, even if it's just some extra colours, textures and some differentiation in movement for each enemy.

I find the assassinations to be very rewarding. I'm pretty sure you can assassinate a Watcher, but as of yet I've been unable to do it. They're a one-hit melee kill from the front, and I can never seem to get behind/above one.

But beyond that, I find fighting them head-on to be downright boring. It's always the same tier: Watcher/Crawler/Knight. When you get to the Knights, you have to kill the flaming red one first, then the one with the blue peacock shit sticking out of it's back, then the normal one. Always. You can even predict where they will teleport to a certain degree, and their one-hit kill bullshit weapons are totally unfun to strategize against.

Hoping for different/better/redesigned enemies to fight against in the next game.

I don't know man, that kill effect is pretty damn awesome for Prometheans. I don't think I need to see blood splatter ever again. Never really cared for the presence of the effect either in the past.

I personally think the best death in the game is a Scattershot to an Elite at close range. Purple blood everywhere and the Elite flies back while disintegrating. Such a great combo of effects. Or Binary Rifle to an Elite, also awesome.

UEQbi.png

Play Binary Domain. Fighting robots is the shit.

The kill effect looks cool but sucks in that it instantly wipes corpses. I like games that have some persistence in the damage that you cause in a battle, including blood decals, bullet casings, corpses that sort of thing. It's actually one of the reasons why CE appealed to me in the first place.

Karl2177

I don't like them for their inconsistency, lack of player feedback, and poorly executed AI. Plus many of the designs including the teleport and forming out of thin air are lackluster ways to introduce enemies to a firefight. I made a post about it earlier this week and I'm on mobile, so I can't really look it up.

How come people who have a problem with the Ordnance system just play objective? Even though the global ordnance drop is shaky at times it is more of a simple Halo play style. I've been playing more objective than slayer and it is more fun. IS while random is not that bad, and BIS is just fun when you want a social experience.

FyreWulff

Alright, they need to remove dropped Sniper Rifles from Throwback. That's a little too much give for people that like to sit outside the hill and kill everyone without ever going in.

I did get a free assassination on the unicorn that was sniping on Solace, though.

I don't like them for their inconsistency, lack of player feedback, and poorly executed AI. Plus many of the designs including the teleport and forming out of thin air are lackluster ways to introduce enemies to a firefight. I made a post about it earlier this week and I'm on mobile, so I can't really look it up.

I was just saying that some of their problems may come from it. I posted a lengthy post a few days ago as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44625982&postcount=9807

Here is my specific problem with the Prometheans taken from it.

4. The Promethean’s design.

So 343 hyped up their new enemies at every opportunity leading up to the game’s release. They said they created worthy successors to the Covenant, who was I to doubt them? The reality is that the Prometheans were an unbelievably dull and repetitive enemy to fight. The first issue stems from there only being 3 main types of enemies. The variety in encounters simply doesn’t exist with them. Watchers are simply a pain in the ass. If you don’t shoot them first you’ll just end up frustrated later in the fight. Crawlers are frustrating beyond belief. They shoot you with Bolt Shots, Suppressors, and then randomly one will one shot you with a Binary Rifle. Being overrun by them does not make them a good enemy or make their AI good. Their only purpose is to eat your ammo and distract you in hopes that a Knight will come your way. They are a very boring enemy to fight. Now the Knights. 343 royally messed these guys up. First off, Knight variation. 343 decided that throwing electricity or some fancy glowing face stripes made these dudes distinguishable from one another. At least in past Halos I KNEW a badass Elite when I saw one due to stand out design and colors. There were multiple times in Halo 4 where I’d be deep into battle with Knights only to have one show up that looks just like all the rest, and blast me with a Binary Rifle or One Shot. There is no fun in an encounter when that happens. The only way you could really tell Knights apart was AFTER they had already shot at you. That is a horrible design oversight by 343, and I am simply baffled it made it into the final game. The Knights teleporting was also poorly executed. Ok, I can see this dude is about to teleport, let me line up my shot, wait no, the dude now possesses invincibility! I am worried about their implementation into the rest of the franchise, because they sure don't have the lasting power of the Covenant.

There are a few things I dislike about the Prometheans. Some things are gameplay related, other things are canonical.

Gameplay wise, I think the Prometheans are boring. The enocunters with 'm don't vary much, the knight take to many bullets to kill and their teleporting ability is stupid and annoying. Crawlers don't do anything interesting. They just shoot at you from a distance and rush at you. Watchers barely play a role because any smart player kills them before they do anything.

Story wise, I hate the fact that the Prometheans can apparently spawn wherever they want. I think that is really stupid. For example, you could have secured a base after heavy fighting, only to have the enemies spawn in again and again and again. I'd rather have them move in vehicles or something like that. At least the, we would have had some possible awesome Promethean vehicles.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
it's this rapid and engaging playlist management that is sure to keep players online for years to come.

Yes, because no one bitched at 343 for months about hating Forge maps in Reach. No one ever said "Keep Forge maps out of Halo 4 playlists." /sarcasm

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Striker

Yes, because no one bitched at 343 for months about hating Forge maps in Reach. No one ever said "Keep Forge maps out of Halo 4 playlists." /sarcasm

Adding Forge maps to Invasion: good, because it was needed.

Adding many more to Super Slayer and adding Heavies in BTB: not good, because it made the chances of getting the better maps pop up less often.

They turned BTB into Heavies and Spire/Boneyard (mostly Slayer... *looks at H4 BTB*).

I think the problem with Reach was the amount of forge maps in matchmaking. One or two maps from each forge environment wouldn't be too bad, as long they play well, and don't look awful.

This game sucks solo. So hard.

I refuse to play it without at least 3 friends.

Pretty much. Always seems like I'm playing against full teams, with incompetent teammates. So I feel like I can only play regicide (which I loathe) since I can do well without having to rely on others for help.

ElRenoRaven

I don't hate them for that reason. I'd like the Prometheans if the Knights just had more AI. As it is they're very predictable. That's one of my complaints. The AI in the game is very predictable and very very dumb. It's like they took the great AI Bungie made and gutted it leaving a lobotomized version of it that imitates it but never replicates it. That's with all enemies in the game mind you. You've seen it in video after video with the AI not engaging you from a distance. Then you've seen AI just contantly all run into walls, etc. The AI in the game is beyond awful. I'd say that's actually one of my biggest complaints behind the linear campaign levels that make Halo 2's look open and the lack of any real objectives other then go here and insert Cortana there.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I forgot that there was still this community thread running over here too.

Just gonna repost my spoiler-free Campaign review, and I added some more issues I forgot to touch on with enemies before, and some positives with some vehicle sections.

Finally beat the game for the first time, on solo Legendary - I definitely enjoyed the visual ride, as well as the adventure and flow, but there were still some things I didn't like.

Halo 4 Legendary was by far the easiest of all Halos - if I wasn't messing around and exploring to find the terminals, admire scenery, and get the level-specific Achievements, I could have knocked it out in a day tops. Dunno how they could have recommended to play on Normal for the first time for this, I guess they meant that for casuals-only or something.

For example, the enemy A.I., namely Prometheans - with the past Bungie games, the A.I. is the best in the business, hands-down. Battles never felt cheap, they felt strategic, the enemies utilizes their surroundings, they didn't camp, they felt smart in battle. Here? I couldn't believe how many of the enemies insisted on hiding behind the closest pillar till you came around, and even when discovered, they would continue to hang around that pillar, even if you rushed them or tried to force them out.

I even remember in one of the earlier levels an Elite totally took me by surprise after I cleared out a room, and was even aware of the number of enemies I was battling, and he just popped out from around a corner as I was walking past - I still killed him first, but he had to have been hiding there and not moved an inch till I walked past him because the room was tiny. Really disliked that campiness from the enemies, because they just would not make a move towards you until you're in their breathing space, just staying back and taking pot-shots the whole time. I know I'm the Master Chief and all, but not all of you have to act like pussies and hang back.

Another thing that I really disliked with the enemy A.I., namely Grunts and Crawlers, is that they'd actually rush me, then stop and turn their back on me and just stand there, so I'd just be pecking at them with my precision weapon trying to get a headshot from an angle while taking on the bullets, and usually run/walk away from me while I'm still hitting them trying to get a headshot, making me waste bullets. This hasn't happened once or twice, it happened for most of the encounters to the point that it seemed like a tactic from them to avoid getting headshotted, and it seemed poor to me.

I also remembered someone on here some time back talking about how they couldn't tell the difference between the variations of Knights - now THAT I strongly disagree with. That actually was clear on which version was holding what weapon, the only sneaky thing was when I wasn't aware that they joined the battle and I'd have to hear/see the blast long before I actually saw them, but that goes back to the camping/hiding issue I have with the A.I. that I mentioned earlier.

Marines are not great at staying alive at all - all they do is rush past me and go straight into the open and get gunned down in no time, every time. If you're going to make them that gung-ho, at least make them stronger or even invincible, because they never last longer than a couple minutes next to me, they only survive if I run ahead by a few dozen meters and clear the room before they get there.

And mind you, the above points were only brought to light because of the level-specific Achievements 343 put in. I got them all in my first tries for most, and after too-many tries with one, but I probably wouldn't have paid the A.I. as much attention as I did without those Achievements.

But for the positives - again, the visuals were amazing, and I really did enjoy the fast-pace flow of the game, and you really felt like a two-person army who could handle anything the galaxy could throw your way, and not have everything go according to plan perfectly. The character models and animations, the cutscenes, incredible. And I loved the connection between the Chief and Cortana throughout the game.

The scale of certain things felt less huge and broad-scale than past Halos, yet some things technology-wise felt even grander, if that makes any sense to anyone. And I loved the certain vehicle sections in certain levels that I don't have to mention, you all know what I mean, they were great.

Bravo 343, an excellent effort for the beginning of a new trilogy.

Aggrotek

Pretty much. Always seems like I'm playing against full teams, with incompetent teammates. So I feel like I can only play regicide (which I loathe) since I can do well without having to rely on others for help.

I feel the same. Played a KotH game and 3/5 of the enemy team was just camping top mid on Haven slaying the entire game. I kept winning but it was so painful.

Tawpgun

I just find the hitboxes on prometheans weird. I feel like I hit the crawlers in the head and they don't die.

And I still don't get the knight hitbox. Shields pop, I dong them in the face, nothing happens.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just find the hitboxes on prometheans weird. I feel like I hit the crawlers in the head and they don't die.

And I still don't get the knight hitbox. Shields pop, I dong them in the face, nothing happens.

Yeah, for the crawlers, when they were just standing still or running/jumping in a straight line, it's a one-hit headshot every time. The instant they get to juking and making these sudden turns, running sideways and so on, it's about four bursts every time till I get a headshot, sometimes I feel it's the hitbox, sometimes I feel it's because for the first time instead of playing at max sensitivity I slowed it down big time for a shooter.

Also annoying when I drop a Knight's shields and I need two or more shots to the head for the kill, but I found that was accounted for since they have a helmet that gets shot off for the first headshot, then their face gets exposed and then I hit them again and kill them.

rakka

Hmm maybe you are right. Matchmaking is very fast, though.

same here. online population still feels very healthy. finding matches quicker and less laggy than 4( though that's probably a trade off for a more accurate trueskill system in 4), in most playlists. even finding anniversary matches easily.

There is definitely inconsistency. I honestly wonder how Prometheans can even play into Halo 5. The established fiction basically states that Requiem is where they exist, so Infinity and the Spartan IVs would basically have to commit a colossal fuck up to allow them to leave. The only real way for 343 to evolve the Promtheans into something lasting like the Covenant is to do the following...

-more enemy types
-clearer class distinction
-better feedback and reaction
-better A.I.
-less cheap tactics like invincibility when teleporting
-their own vehicles
-more weaponry
-creative use of the new Forerunner theme (we've seen transforming architecture, allow enemies to transform to some extent, and maybe even combine forms.

I know you're probably reading this and going, "duh" but I feel it really needs to happen if 343 plans on giving Prometheans lasting power.

Top Bottom