• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder when/if 343 will consolidate Halo 3's playlists.

This.

Can't even count the amount of times I am shooting someone and another enemy jumps in front "pulling" my reticule away from the guy I just put 3 shots into, only to die a miserable death and end up with an assist when a teammate comes over and gets a double.
I feel like that happened just as much in Reach. Should still be fixed, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Next time maybe don't piss into the winds of logic for months on end.

Noted. I'd like to think I didn't disagree with anything that was "logical" pre-launch, but if I did that was not my intention. I have opinions just like everyone else. I assume I did get thrown into that "constantly positive" pool though, and our posts all blended together.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Anyone else think there is lack of communication on 343s part or where we just spoiled by Bungie? Even Infinity Ward was good at communicating things to the community when FourZeroTwo was there.

Arnie

This is the best lesson to be learnt from all this.

Don't defend a game because of its name, or who's making it; rationally, logically, critically analyse it when you can. You don't need to be earning a SAW as ordnance to know it's a dumb fucking idea.

Enfinit

You know, there's plenty of other ways to disagree with someone without being a total douchebag. People's opinions change, who are you to call people out on their logicalities?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Don't defend a game because of its name, or who's making it; rationally, logically, critically analyse it when you can. You don't need to be earning a SAW as ordnance to know it's a dumb fucking idea.

Arnie! I like ordinance (in Infinity gametypes only and not global). That's an opinion. :p

But yeah, I get you.

I agree with Tashi that the Scattershot feels really inconsistent, I think it's something to do with the spread of fire on it.

+3 then. I thought I was going crazy. I wish the human shotgun was around more in matchmaking.

I dig the SAW. I've killed SAW users with the AR and vice versa. Certainly have kept my distance with the DMR and won. I think it's pretty balanced, being so close-range. Fun as fuck to shoot.

I agree with Tashi that the Scattershot feels really inconsistent, I think it's something to do with the spread of fire on it.

The UNSC shotgun seems much more consistently powerful.

Arnie

Arnie! I like ordinance (in Infinity gametypes only and not global). That's an opinion. :p

But yeah, I get you.

No, yea, sure, I get that some people like it and I think there's scope for it to be in the game. I just don't like how prevalent it is, and how I'm cornered into Slayer Pro to avoid it; a playlist that effectively consists of three maps and makes the game feel even more like a beta.

I'm actually contemplating buying the season pass to get a single extra map, because the core game's still fun.

I dig the SAW.
So do I.

I just think it should be a power weapon in a neutral point on the map for two teams to contest, not a perk to an already powerful player who doesn't have to risk himself to acquire it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like how fast the Scattershot fires makes up for it's crappy range and spread. It definitely has a shorter range than the new shotgun (which is amazzzzzzzingggggggg god I love it so much), but I still find it easy to get kills with.

Sidenote: Has anyone gotten Scattershot kills using the ricochet blasts?

So do I.

I just think it should be a power weapon in a neutral point on the map for two teams to contest, not a perk to an already powerful player who doesn't have to risk himself to acquire it.
It's amazing how much ordnance drops ruin the flow of matches. It's my single biggest complaint about Halo 4 by far.

Akai__

But double jump is nearly the same thing! Just curious did you ever play 2007's Shadowrun? IIRC it had some awesome glide jumping that was reminiscent of jetpacks in FPS. It was on LB too, just like Halo. And was actually built on the Halo 1 engine.

Nearly the same thing? I'm 100% sure, that it isn't. How is this even possible? It's not like you would be able to jump straight > 10 meters like you would be with a jetpack. Also, no, I didn't play Shadowrun. I wanted to test it, but never had the opportunity or the time.

One more thing. Games, that are using the same engine, can't be really compared. Let's take the Frostbite 2 engine for example. You have Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor on one hand, which are 2 different games, and Need for Speed Most Wanted on the other. Now tell me, what they have in common, besides the engine?

Tawpgun

I dig the SAW.

That wasn't the point.

A lot of people here didn't like Infinity Personal Drops from a competitive standpoint for good reason and they were right, shit doesn't work at a competitive level. But I'm pretty sure most people were fine with it as a casual dongfest mode, which it ended up being.

But alooooooooooooooot of people called out Global Ordnance on being bullshit. Some people here just went with the classic "Wait and see" The whole point of raising these issues is to hope that 343 will hear the concerns. Besides, some of the decisions made in the game are painfully obvious in the way they would play out.

This so much. The nostalgia argument is dumb and I hate it when people pull it out for lack of anything better to say. Good games dont stop being fun simply because they're old.
Thank you!
I wouldn't include Halo 3 in that, but Halo 2 had some outstanding moments which I'm finding hard to locate on youtube now.
I'm not big on H3 either but compared to Reach and H4 it is a perfect title.

Those good old days. You always had a lot of friends online and there was always a custom party on going. I miss these days.

You would think this would be evidence enough that the older games were more fun.

Enfinit

Every 343 employee except for Deadly Cyclone have quit posting here.

I would stop if I worked for 343i as well (at least for a few more months). We're pretty much just all in here criticizing and ripping the game to shreds, not that that's a bad thing, so I wouldn't be wanting to post in such a hostile environment either. I'm sure they monitor this thread like crazy, though.

Arnie

It's amazing how much ordnance drops ruin the flow of matches. It's my single biggest complaint about Halo 4 by far.
That and instant respawns have made the biggest difference, for me. Makes what is a remarkably familiar and comforting core experience feel completely alien and unenjoyable at times.
Every 343 employee except for Deadly Cyclone have quit posting here.
Which is a major shame.

It's been my biggest gripe pre-release, too. A complete unwillingness to engage with the community on key changes, debates and issues with the game. For a franchise built on the relationship between community and creator, it's astounding.

I'm not going to bite anyone's head off. I'm not going to try to hurt their feelings, or intentionally insult them. I just want to discuss and understand certain differences with this game and previous ones, and why they're a benefit to the overall experience.

I wouldn't say monitor like crazy, but what good would posting do? Little.
Hell, even Ellis getting called out yesterday was so completely out of line.

The game is disappointing, hugely for me personally, but it's probably what they wanted (I don't want to consider the idea that they shipped something that they didn't want to), so what can they say without lying or just getting in a pissing match over "what Halo is".
They should be paying attention though. They need to sit down and reevaluate their entire company before they begin another Halo project.
"reevaluate their entire company" - Do you know how armchair insulting that sounds?

Trey

Logical subjectivity.

No one was arguing that Halo 4 was going to be a drastic departure from prior Halos. It's good to see that everyone's biases have returned to them validated.

The things I don't like about Halo 4 are all the things I couldn't possibly see coming discretely: shallow in-game storyline and specific glitches.

I would stop if I worked for 343i as well (at least for a few more months). We're pretty much just all in here criticizing and ripping the game to shreds, not that that's a bad thing, so I wouldn't be wanting to post in such a hostile environment either. I'm sure they monitor this thread like crazy, though.

They should be paying attention though. They need to sit down and reevaluate every aspect of their company before they begin another Halo project.

That wasn't the point.

A lot of people here didn't like Infinity Personal Drops from a competitive standpoint for good reason and they were right, shit doesn't work at a competitive level. But I'm pretty sure most people were fine with it as a casual dongfest mode, which it ended up being.

But alooooooooooooooot of people called out Global Ordnance on being bullshit. Some people here just went with the classic "Wait and see" The whole point of raising these issues is to hope that 343 will hear the concerns. Besides, some of the decisions made in the game are painfully obvious in the way they would play out.

Infinity Personal Drops work fine competitively. Competitive players I've talked to want them in the game as its another important choice in a match and adds depth. It's also more exciting for people to watch, because it's a choice they internally make before the player does.

The only arguments against personal ordnance are that they add a slippery slope mechanism and that they add a randomness to the match. Good players controlling power weapon spawns really does not feel much different than personal ordnance. As for the randomness, the drops merely have to be changed for competitive matches to be comparable. Don't have Binary Rifles and Needlers. Overshields, Speed Boosts, Rail Cannons and Sticky Detonators? Not so bad.

If you're specifically talking about Matchmaking Infinity Slayer as it currently exists, it's random by design. Look at Regicide. The popular playlists are the "fun" playlists for a reason. We're not all here to get super serious; a hammer in our ordnance is fun times.

. Competitive players I've talked to want them in the game as its another important choice in a match and adds depth. It's also more exciting for people to watch, because it's a choice they internally make before the player does.
I assume you mean aside from the Competitive players in this thread?

zlatko

Banned
They should be paying attention though. They need to sit down and reevaluate every aspect of their company before they begin another Halo project.

Every aspect? No. There is a lot of stuff done right in this game too. Plus there is a lot of players like me who love the game as is and only see it needing minor tweaks at best.

If you're specifically talking about Matchmaking Infinity Slayer as it currently exists, it's random by design. Look at Regicide. The popular playlists are the "fun" playlists for a reason. We're not all here to get super serious; a hammer in our ordnance is fun times.

But the problem is, we've heard this already.

Armor lock. "It's crazy fun!!!" When you're using it. Not when it's being used on you.

Things are all fine and dandy when you get binary rifles, incineration cannons, and hammers in your ordnance, but it becomes frustrating when your team seems to be getting absolute shit, and the other team gets more powerful weapons. Not to mention you have no idea what the other team has at their disposal after their drops come in. I'm not saying "IT NEEDS TO GO IT SUCKS DICK" but I really do think it needs to be tweaked.

Arnie

I wouldn't say monitor like crazy, but what good would posting do? Little.
Hell, even Ellis getting called out yesterday was so completely out of line.

The game is disappointing, hugely for me personally, but it's probably what they wanted (I don't want to consider the idea that they shipped something that they didn't want to), so what can they say without lying or just getting in a pissing match over "what Halo is".

I suppose.
Logical subjectivity.

No one was arguing that Halo 4 was going to be a drastic departure from prior Halos. It's good to see that everyone's biases have returned to them validated.

The things I don't like about Halo 4 are all the things I couldn't possibly see coming discretely: shallow in-game storyline and specific glitches.

I guess. What's massively frustrating from my point of view is that most of the problems I encountered were ones I've outlined and tried to engage with on here for months. These problems aren't isolated to me, either, and seem to be popular within the community. If 343 engaged with us about these things they might've been able to change them. Now it honestly appears like the don't give a shit, and view their vision as the ultimate goal, which I wouldn't mind if that didn't just constitute a bunch of design ideas I've exhausted for the last half decade.

Fuchsdh

Eh, to each their own. Spartan Ops is a lot of fun to me playing co-op. It's not all it should or could be, but I still have fun playing through each one. If they can beef it up as it goes on into Season 2 it'll be great.

Throw us book missions, or new maps every week. This one seems to be the test season as they had to finish it all before launch it was also probably rushed a bit.

I just wish they'd connect the story more. If you can justify retreading the same environment (like Ragnarock), more power to you.

And get Palmer into action already. If she's helping kill things we can mouth off all she wants.

senador

Banned
This.

Can't even count the amount of times I am shooting someone and another enemy jumps in front "pulling" my reticule away from the guy I just put 3 shots into, only to die a miserable death and end up with an assist when a teammate comes over and gets a double.

This isn't the problem I was referring to. It seems pointing guns in the general direction of the player makes shots connect, at least for my enemies. Whenever I die dudes are just spamming shots and hitting me even though I am moving around, their pace doesn't change. If this isn't the case, the killcam is way more fucked than I originally thought.

But yeah, a gun like the DMR that is really precise, has really long range, and fires quickly should not have much aim assist IMO.

Reach unquestionably did a better job at not only shield feedback, but just about every form of feedback. Not an area that Halo 4 excels in.

And then Halo 4 died.

-------------------------------

Don't think Jaime is much of a fan of H4 lol
JaimeH4.png

Agreed on shield feedback and in general, I love what Reach did there.

Noooo, boo Forge maps.

Hmm, I find what Jaime did distasteful for some reason. Its just weird.

"reevaluate their entire company" - Do you know how armchair insulting that sounds?

I do. But let's just look at one example shall we? The marketing department.

From the start the marketing for this game has been a mess. The company did not even know which DLC helmets came with what. This should have been discussed and planned from the beginning. Furthermore, reveals were handled in such an awkward manner. We had off screen footage of the mantis and tweets from employees yet waypoint would not even acknowledge it's existence. FUD was a cool project but it did little to actually promote the game. The majority of people who watched it were fans of Halo and not new customers. From the beginning 343 should have sat down and had the entire marketing campaign planned out. It seems as though they simply put things together as they went along.

It was incredibly obvious to me during the development cycle that there was not enough communication within the company. The left hand did not know what the right was doing. When I say they need to reevaluate everything I mean it. 343 should be a well oiled machine with each department work with one another. Instead, 343 looks like a collection of groups with each one doing something different.

There are some great people at 343 but the company as a whole looks like a disorganized mess. I'm not trying to accuse people but this is how I see things as a fan and as a customer.

Tawpgun

Infinity Personal Drops work fine competitively. Competitive players I've talked to want them in the game as its another important choice in a match and adds depth. It's also more exciting for people to watch, because it's a choice they internally make before the player does.

The only arguments against personal ordnance are that they add a slippery slope mechanism and that they add a randomness to the match. Good players controlling power weapon spawns really does not feel much different than personal ordnance. As for the randomness, the drops merely have to be changed for competitive matches.

I'm talking about Infinity Slayer as its presented in matchmaking. It is NOT competitive in mind. At least you realize this also.

I've been wondering about making ordnance drops standard (if its even possible) meaning your first drop you get these 3 options, second drop these 3, etc. And they are ALWAYS the same. It would make it fun to watch, and people like Tashi and others brought up a good point in that for MLG games, you could focus on someone who is close to getting a drop and such.

However, even with standardized drops, it won't be as competitive as classic Halo. The big problem with personal ordnance is it stagnates map movement. As soon as a team takes some power area in a map, say top ramp of Haven, there is no incentive to leave. Just pick off people coming to you and get your own weapons at your feet. There's no setting up for different weapon/power up spawns anymore.

And if they allow 3 options, even when standardized, its clouding the battlefield as you never know what the enemy picks as their weapon or WHEN they get it. I can't see players liking it from a competitive standpoint.

I think standardized drops COULD work, but, eh...

Akai__

You would think this would be evidence enough that the older games were more fun.

A game is always more fun, if you have some friends to play with. Well, you have to like the game by yourself, of course. :p

Edit:
Meh, I'm already guessing Jul is going to kill her in a cinematic.

Please let it be the case. She is, as a character, just stupid.

Campaign spoiler regarding Palmer:

Hated her from the beginning, where she said to Chief: "I thought you were taller" hurr durr.

Would have loved it, if Master Chief kicked her ass, after Del Rio wanted her to arrest Master Chief.

Yeah, I was going to sell my Xbox to my housemate, so I deleted everyone. He's not sure if he really wants it, though, and so I'm taking more time to consider the decision, and playing a little Halo in the mean time. I just wish I had another game to get into, aside from Halo... Nothing else scratches that competitive itch. I like Halo 3 when the netcode isn't shit, at least.

Add me or I can add you when I'm back on later tonight. I should be stealing my nephew's copy of ODST tomorrow :p

Well, SOMEONE is supposed to die, but I doubt it will be her. I've not wanted a character dead this much since Rico in Killzone.
Plans can change.
There are some great people at 343 but the company as a whole looks like a disorganized mess.
I think you're too casually passing comments on people's careers and underestimating the challenge in getting 300 to work towards doing mainline production in 18 months.

I know, because I want to point the finger too.

I'm talking about Infinity Slayer as its presented in matchmaking. It is NOT competitive in mind. At least you realize this also.

I've been wondering about making ordnance drops standard (if its even possible) meaning your first drop you get these 3 options, second drop these 3, etc. And they are ALWAYS the same. It would make it fun to watch, and people like Tashi and others brought up a good point in that for MLG games, you could focus on someone who is close to getting a drop and such.

However, even with standardized drops, it won't be as competitive as classic Halo. The big problem with personal ordnance is it stagnates map movement. As soon as a team takes some power area in a map, say top ramp of Haven, there is no incentive to leave. Just pick off people coming to you and get your own weapons at your feet. There's no setting up for different weapon/power up spawns anymore.

And if they allow 3 options, even when standardized, its clouding the battlefield as you never know what the enemy picks as their weapon or WHEN they get it. I can't see players liking it from a competitive standpoint.

I think standardized drops COULD work, but, eh...

If you set three items as the potential drops, personal ordnance is always the same. Then it's just something players get after around 4 kills or 2ish minutes of playing, not too far off from when Global Ordnance spawns. Players leave their holes for Rockets and Snipe, and they can potentially use it when fighting for that lot. I just rewatched MLG Dallas the other day. It seems fine.

And don't forget that Infinity Slayer is a fast, fast gametype. Players really aren't doing all that much setting up and sitting.

I think you're too casually passing comments on people's careers and underestimating the challenge in getting 300 to work towards doing mainline production in 18 months.

I know, because I want to point the finger too.

If it was that big of a challenge to work within the time constraints they should have waited to announce and release the game.

Campaign spoiler regarding Palmer:

Hated her from the beginning, where she said to Chief: "I thought you were taller" hurr durr.
Funny thing is, the chief
looks to be the same height as Palmer and the other spartan IVs in-game, but he towers over her in the ending cinematic.

Arnie

I don't really think Halo 4's major failures come down to a time issue.

Sure, certain theatre features might've been excluded because of time constraints, but they still had three years to design an evolution to the theatre mode that's befitting of Halo 4, and instead, rather than take a major step forward like fans should expect, it took a significant step backwards.

Again, I don't think delaying the game by two or three months would've fixed that.

Top Bottom