• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Gray Man

Banned
Fun fact: Chief appears smaller through the entire game. He's about the same size as every other human you meet. Except in the fancy cutscenes.

Remember how you towered over the marines in past Halo's? Try doing that in Halo 4. It's a glaring oversight, 343.

I'm literally shocked if this is indeed the case.

Halo always had bullshit proportions. For some reasons, all their vehicles and weapons are perfect sized for Spartans, not the vast majority of the army. Hell, vehicles are still too big. The Warthog looks ridiculous.

Also, why are all human-sized doors apparently twelve feet tall?

Conor 419

Banned
This scene right?

tumblr_me27q4yvN91rzpvq6o1_500.png

in other Halos you didnt feel he is taller of something.

The second panel is quite literally the only good thing SP does (and probably will do) in the entire Halo Universe.

Btw, when will we find out how Halo 4 fared in the activity chart for November?

Booties

Banned
You know, there's plenty of other ways to disagree with someone without being a total douchebag. People's opinions change, who are you to call people out on their logicalities?

Don't be so sensitive. Cyclone went back on what he said and still won't swallow it all. Who cares if you sounds like a prick doing it?

I wouldn't say monitor like crazy, but what good would posting do? Little.
Hell, even Ellis getting called out yesterday was so completely out of line.

The game is disappointing, hugely for me personally, but it's probably what they wanted (I don't want to consider the idea that they shipped something that they didn't want to), so what can they say without lying or just getting in a pissing match over "what Halo is".

"reevaluate their entire company" - Do you know how armchair insulting that sounds?

Wow. One, david was a fool to post that because it was such an easy set up. Two, stop treating them like gods. He made such a weak excuse for an expensive project, of course he got called out on it!

Out of line. You're ridiculous.

Let's talk about Complex. I only enjoy it on SWAT, but it's awesome for SWAT. Does anybody else jump off the rooftops over the cliff and into the water at the end of a match?

Wow. One, david was a fool to post that because it was such an easy set up. Two, stop treating them like gods. He made such a weak excuse for an expensive project, of course he got called out on it!

Out of line. You're ridiculous.
Or... you were being an ass. These are people too. Would you talk like that if you were sitting around with them in person and having a chat? Seriously?

Criticism is fine, its fucking great, even if you hated every last bit of it. Its HOW you convey that criticism that makes all the difference and is what separates discussion from a circle-jerk of bitching at the clouds. Just be a person - no need for pedestals or guillotines.

Fuchsdh

*ahem*

She's what? Please tell me you're joking.

Yeah, I was, don't worry. (Although apparently I mangled the snarky response after that, which is why it didn't make any sense.) She's 6'9", while the Chief is 6'7" or 7 feet in his armor. So she'd be slightly taller or the same height, really, not having the Chief towering over her.

Or... you were being an ass. These are people too. Would you talk like that if you were sitting around with them in person and having a chat?

Criticism is fine, its fucking great, even if you hated every last bit of it. Its HOW you convey that criticism that makes all the difference and is what separates discussion from a circle-jerk of bitching at the clouds.

Doctor Manhattan speaks the truth.

Booties

Banned
Or... you were being an ass. These are people too. Would you talk like that if you were sitting around with them in person and having a chat? Seriously?

Criticism is fine, its fucking great, even if you hated every last bit of it. Its HOW you convey that criticism that makes all the difference and is what separates discussion from a circle-jerk of bitching at the clouds. Just be a person - no need for pedestals or guillotines.
This forum is a pedestal all day. Any slight deviation is seen as an insult. 343 made a lot of mistakes, but we saw them months before release and they weren't fixed. Next we get no information on what They really think about it all. Instead? we get flimsy excuses like Microsoft ran out of money. Give me a break. You're not making any friends by being nice.

Gray Man

Banned

where were the posts in question?

At least from the descriptions....

Should be 3 small maps...

It should be, but I just don't think that it will be. I'll be happy with 2 maps in the pack that are clearly 4v4/5v5 size.

Extraction in MM plz.

Until the 3rd of December, the two expansions to GTA IV (Lost and the Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony) are 400 and 800 MS points, respectively. Both excellent deals for anyone that hasn't played those.

It does though, since thats what they're being asked to change, and its not a one time thing. Managing playlists over time and laying the foundation steps of their next game require that they have some central tenets that inform them. Tenets they can test against the data they've collected.

Perhaps, I still think playlist management is a bit too early of a field to be having central tenets. The games are so different that each game needs to be focused on differently. I'm not sure one thing would work directly, like Halo was less evolved during H2, a tenet that worked there was just get a bunch of stuff out there, like hey lets introduce SWAT. Went great, now its a thing. Halo 4 is so far in theres like OK now we need this this this and its like how can we reduce this...but it doesn't seem to be working.

I think each game right now needs to really be analyzed on its own without data from previous games. I guess you could use data eventually from H4 but anything so far is probably a bit too early on to be viewed of as actual useful data.

Seems the playlist management right now is about maintaining players rather than gaining followers. Nothing new is being done. Nothing tried. At least like say back during H3 weeklies they'd get new stuff in all the time for awhile (until they got stuck rotating grif and living dead every other week, what the hell was that?)

I'll say I've never really been happy with playlist management since H2. I feel that game always had a playlist for every party size, and every type of player. Which is the one central tenet I can agree with actually so far. Have a place for everyone.

H4 heres a start: Get a mercenaries playlist.

CyReN

link to the settings?

You can't link gametypes on Halowaypoint yet, I'm not even kidding.

So

• Cella: Slayer, Oddball, KOTH
  • Lotus: Lotus Flag
  • Simplex: Slayer, 5 Flag
  • Haven: Slayer, Oddball, KOTH
  • Abandon: Salyer, Oddball KOTH
  • Adrift: 5 Flag, KOTH
  • Station9: Extraction, KOTH
  • Solace: 3 Flag
  • Lockout: Slayer, Oddball

Download the settings at: DLESEL

MrDaravon

@343: "A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game can never be played competitively."

Well said.

After a day and a half I finally got my loadouts back! Well not back, I had to re-set them up but at least I had the option to do so finally. Then my first game back with them in BTB 5 people on my team quit and it takes more than half the match to fill it, so it's 8v3, and the other team is talking mad shit in the post-game lobby. Oh Halo 4, you so crazy.

Okay, now the guy with the "No Fat Chicks" gamertag is doing batman voices in the lobby, this is genuinely entertaining. I do honestly love the completely random bullshit you come across sometimes.

Do you guys think there will be a second season of Spartan Ops?

Yes. Although it will be interesting to see how significant the dropoff in players of it is after Episode 5 (which is the last one that has achievements tied to it, at least for now).

H4 heres a start: Get a mercenaries playlist.
OK, I'm in. Hire juices.

My own jury is still out on that one. You can see how the mode has developed in some ways over time, so I'll give them the full 10 weeks. Just off the weeks we've had so far though? I wouldn't count on it. We have to figure they're looking to charge for season 2 right? Right now that looks like a hard sell for most.

Started a Dominion match 6 on 1. Good job, 343, for ensuring that things such as balanced teams don't happen in matchmaking.

And add a Merc playlist already.

Booties

Banned
Yeah, but only because there has to be something to do.

Why did 343 basically keep the same progression system from halo reach, but didn't carry over the good stuff like the UI? I for one am sick of watching that bar move towards nothing after watching it for 2 years. Give us something refreshing in that regard before you change things like infection, which people actually enjoyed as is.

CyReN

I sent a email asking 343 for no auto pickup, no instant spawn for objective to see if we can get something rolling with our settings. We can't afford another year like Reach. This game is better than Reach, I just hope they fix the major issues tweaking it.

stktt

Banned

Why did 343 basically keep the same progression system from halo reach, but didn't carry over the good stuff like the UI? I for one am sick of watching that bar move towards nothing after watching it for 2 years. Give us something refreshing in that regard before you change things like infection, which people actually enjoyed as is.

I hated Infection in Reach. I love Flood in 4.

@343: "A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game can never be played competitively."

I would disagree, here's some examples...

1. Golf: Casual play is with handicaps and differing tee off points as well as rule sets where competitive play is a focused no handicap specific tee off that still differs between genders.

2. Formula 1: Highly competitive that even has mechanics of financial limits, technical design limitations that are all designed to balance a car/team so the driver is the most important competitive factor. Can this be played casually? Directly the answer is no it cannot, however, a watered down go kart version can be played by casuals. Again very differing rule sets and vehicles between casual vs. competitive.

3. Soccer: Everything set in stone for competitive play but casuals often play soccer without the exacting field, team or structured requirements. The direct competitive version can be played casually but this is usually in club organised teams/venues where the more popular global casual version of backyard soccer cannot be played competitively.

As you can see with a few simple examples competitive and casual are rarely exactly the same and even when they are the casuals tend to bend the rules or assets for more flexible play.

How does this translate to Halo? Competitive play tries to iron out the random, promote teamwork and practised regular teams with generally smaller and asymmetrical maps. Does that atypical competitive play mean casuals can play it? Yes it does.

However does the real world data from casual play show that casuals want to play the competitive Halo settings? The answer is a resounding NO. Casuals while they may play competitive settings they often don't have a regular practised team, nor do they want to play against those regular competitive in their settings.

Some casuals just want to drive warthogs, some want to try and get flag beat downs on the back of mongoose, some want to play flood etc etc.

So while your statement is true in theory it is far from the reality of casual vs. competitive play. To return to the example casual have far more fun with their average go kart vehicles and basic track than going to full CAMS3 licensed $10K go karts on a custom league track and tournament event.

You get the idea.

Edit-
I also get very tired of how competitive everyone wants Halo but in reality online play for matchmaking and rank has less to do with settings and mechanics where latency and host are factored in. I still find it sad that competitive is touted so much but you guys'n'girls here at neoGAF hardly ever talk about Good Connection Filter. To me a far more important issue over the actual competitive settings.

Sure I agree a playlist for default Halo and a playlist for MLG should have your competitive settings. Sure I agree the custom games should have allowed more customisation for such game mechanics too. However I draw the line that the whole game should be competitive based just because casuals "CAN" play the competitive settings. Each should have their own settings and playlists, your statement does not factor the casual modes without competitive at all and that I have issue with.

I sent a email asking 343 for no auto pickup, no instant spawn for objective to see if we can get something rolling with our settings. We can't afford another year like Reach. This game is better than Reach, I just hope they fix the major issues tweaking it.

This, 4 is better than Reach, but it needs a lot of work still. It is no Halo 3 though. :(

orznge

Banned
I would disagree, here's some examples...

1. Golf: Casual play is with handicaps and differing tee off points as well as rule sets where competitive play is a focused no handicap specific tee off that still differs between genders.

2. Formula 1: Highly competitive that even has mechanics of financial limits, technical design limitations that are all designed to balance a car/team so the driver is the most important competitive factor. Can this be played casually? Directly the answer is no it cannot, however, a watered down go kart version can be played by casuals. Again very differing rule sets and vehicles between casual vs. competitive.

3. Soccer: Everything set in stone for competitive play but casuals often play soccer without the exacting field, team or structured requirements. The direct competitive version can be played casually but this is usually in club organised teams/venues where the more popular global casual version of backyard soccer cannot be played competitively.

As you can see with a few simple examples competitive and casual are rarely exactly the same and even when they are the casuals tend to bend the rules or assets for more flexible play.

How does this translate to Halo? Competitive play tries to iron out the random, promote teamwork and practised regular teams with generally smaller and asymmetrical maps. Does that atypical competitive play mean casuals can play it? Yes it does.

However does the real world data from casual play show that casuals want to play the competitive Halo settings? The answer is a resounding NO. Casuals while they may play competitive settings they often don't have a regular practised team, nor do they want to play against those regular competitive in their settings.

Some casuals just want to drive warthogs, some want to try and get flag beat downs on the back of mongoose, some want to play flood etc etc.

So while your statement is true in theory it is far from the reality of casual vs. competitive play. To return to the example casual have far more fun with their average go kart vehicles and basic track than going to full CAMS3 licensed $10K go karts on a custom league track and tournament event.

You get the idea.

Edit-
I also get very tired of how competitive everyone wants Halo but in reality online play for matchmaking and rank has less to do with settings and mechanics where latency and host are factored in. I still find it sad that competitive is touted so much but you guys'n'girls here at neoGAF hardly ever talk about Good Connection Filter. To me a far more important issue over the actual competitive settings.

Sure I agree a playlist for default Halo and a playlist for MLG should have your competitive settings. Sure I agree the custom games should have allowed more customisation for such game mechanics too. However I draw the line that the whole game should be competitive based just because casuals "CAN" play the competitive settings. Each should have their own settings and playlists, your statement does not factor the casual modes without competitive at all and that I have issue with.

lol

ElRenoRaven

Nope, and if there is I won't be paying for it.

I wish there was a way to not join games of people that do this. If they don't want to contribute to the pool of people filling out games I don't wanna contribute to filling out their games.

I have to agree. I don't see one happening with how seemingly 99 percent of the people hate it. The few of us that like it just like it and don't love it. So logically I see very few buying it if they did and it cost. It's kind of sad though cause Spartan Ops has a lot of potential. It just needs some massive refinement.

Yes. Although it will be interesting to see how significant the dropoff in players of it is after Episode 5 (which is the last one that has achievements tied to it, at least for now).
My own jury is still out on that one. You can see how the mode has developed in some ways over time, so I'll give them the full 10 weeks. Just off the weeks we've had so far though? I wouldn't count on it. We have to figure they're looking to charge for season 2 right? Right now that looks like a hard sell for most.
Nope, and if there is I won't be paying for it.
I main ask because I'm wondering if there is currently support to make a second season. Obviously making a second season would be a considerable production, and I can't imagine 10 weeks and 50 missions costing any less than $15. According to Waypoint, there is currently ~6,600 players playing Spartan Ops right now. I guess that number isn't really relevant because I don't think players are replaying Spartan Ops missions like you obviously play Firefight many times.

I've somewhat enjoyed Spartan Ops, but I don't think I would pay money for a second season, especially given my disappointment of it supposed to be a narrative-driven mode, yet the missions all have nearly nothing to do with what is going on in the CGI cutscenes and the writing is epic levels of bad.
I hated Infection in Reach. I love Flood in 4.

...It's the same thing. Just reskinned.

Gray Man

Banned

• Vehicle Health buff: Seeing as how players can spawn with Plasma Pistols and Plasma Grenades and how several anti-vehicle weapons can be present on the map simultaneously in Infinity Slayer, vehicles are even more vulnerable. They should receive buffs, possibly in the form of a general health buff (stronger against the DMR, Sniper Rifle, small arms fire, etc.) and decreased immobilization time from EMPs. The vehicles I think should receive the largest buffs are the Warthog, Ghost, and Banshee.

This all day.

Sai-kun

Banned
only barely related but i just found out that Lasky's actor in FUD is Australian when I watched the blooper reel at the end of the FUD credits.

plane.png

stktt

Banned
A statistic on a... Personal opinion?

I forgot that 4 is an awful game from a company that desecrated the corpse of a once beloved franchise while dining on delicious cod. Back to the gaming side I go. :/

...It's the same thing. Just reskinned.

Flood have more health, and the thruster pack and promethean vision are fun to use in that mode. Unlike Reach, it feels like spawning on the infected side is no longer a death trap.

Top Bottom