• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

This all day.

There are some solid ideas in that multi post thread by the OP. I can agree with 65-95% of it. I'm not so sure about separating the playlists but keeping guests out and most of the buffs/nerfs are spot on.

list of things that will never happen

Some of the ideas like splitting ranked/social has proven to splinter too much with the Halo population these days.

It was fine back in Halo 3 when no firefight/SPOPS existed and the FPS competition wasn't taking population numbers away from Halo. I don't think it would work very well now though.

Enfinit

Don't be so sensitive. Cyclone went back on what he said and still won't swallow it all. Who cares if you sounds like a prick doing it?

It's not a matter of being sensitive, and from what it appears Cyclone swallowed rather well. Treat others how you wish to be treated, it'll get you farther in life versus being a prick.

I would disagree, here's some examples...

1. Golf: Casual play is with handicaps and differing tee off points as well as rule sets where competitive play is a focused no handicap specific tee off that still differs between genders.

2. Formula 1: Highly competitive that even has mechanics of financial limits, technical design limitations that are all designed to balance a car/team so the driver is the most important competitive factor. Can this be played casually? Directly the answer is no it cannot, however, a watered down go kart version can be played by casuals. Again very differing rule sets and vehicles between casual vs. competitive.

3. Soccer: Everything set in stone for competitive play but casuals often play soccer without the exacting field, team or structured requirements. The direct competitive version can be played casually but this is usually in club organised teams/venues where the more popular global casual version of backyard soccer cannot be played competitively.

As you can see with a few simple examples competitive and casual are rarely exactly the same and even when they are the casuals tend to bend the rules or assets for more flexible play.

How does this translate to Halo? Competitive play tries to iron out the random, promote teamwork and practised regular teams with generally smaller and asymmetrical maps. Does that atypical competitive play mean casuals can play it? Yes it does.

However does the real world data from casual play show that casuals want to play the competitive Halo settings? The answer is a resounding NO. Casuals while they may play competitive settings they often don't have a regular practised team, nor do they want to play against those regular competitive in their settings.

Some casuals just want to drive warthogs, some want to try and get flag beat downs on the back of mongoose, some want to play flood etc etc.

So while your statement is true in theory it is far from the reality of casual vs. competitive play. To return to the example casual have far more fun with their average go kart vehicles and basic track than going to full CAMS3 licensed $10K go karts on a custom league track and tournament event.

You get the idea.

Edit-
I also get very tired of how competitive everyone wants Halo but in reality online play for matchmaking and rank has less to do with settings and mechanics where latency and host are factored in. I still find it sad that competitive is touted so much but you guys'n'girls here at neoGAF hardly ever talk about Good Connection Filter. To me a far more important issue over the actual competitive settings.

Sure I agree a playlist for default Halo and a playlist for MLG should have your competitive settings. Sure I agree the custom games should have allowed more customisation for such game mechanics too. However I draw the line that the whole game should be competitive based just because casuals "CAN" play the competitive settings. Each should have their own settings and playlists, your statement does not factor the casual modes without competitive at all and that I have issue with.

This post is such a fail. Firstly, all those games (sports) listed ARE competitive. Then there are fun rules that people can play by for casual use and everybody's happy. GET IT? People are pissed because those "fun" rules are what default shit is becoming, some of it to the point where you have no choice but to use a certain stupid mechanic. If your game's default settings are competitive, casuals can enjoy them too and making the silly gametypes and stuff is quite easy. But making the default game so far removed from competitive play serves only one group to the detriment of the other.

What is stopping these casual people in your post from doing all these same things if they're playing with different settings? That's just playstyle (or custom games). Why should that mentality affect those who want to try to win (because that's what they find fun)?

At the bolded, get out of here with that nonsense. P2P online play has latency, no matter what. It's a variable. Problems with the game itself are constants.

Duji

So while your statement is true in theory it is far from the reality of casual vs. competitive play.
Far from reality? If anything, you are far from reality. League of Legends is the most played PC game right now. The professional settings are nearly, if not exactly, identical to the casual settings. The game developers hold competitive balance as their number one priority. What more of an example does anyone need?

And as for your real life examples...

Golf: I know next to nothing about golf, but if I were to guess, the reasoning behind having different casual rules is due to the game being too difficult to play in its professional state.

Take a women's push-up test for example. You would make professional women athletes perform proper push-ups but you wouldn't do the same for your "casuals". This is because many women can't even do a single push up. There would be a ton of zeros in your results. Therefore a "casual" push-up test for women would require them to do girly push ups for some granularity.

Formula 1: Obviously your average Joe can't drive an F1 car due to the many hazards. Oh, and let's not forget the financial limitations of your average Joe. Video games do not have these limitations, so this is an extremely poor example.

Soccer: Financial/location limitations. Not everyone has access to a FIFA approved soccer field. These limitations don't exist in video games.

And also refer to YourExWife's post above.

MrDaravon

I don't know if it's the game mechanics (ordinance drops, respawn issues, etc), but does anyone seem to run super hot/cold on their performance in this game? My overall K/D has remained pretty static (1.5-1.6), but I feel like every match I'm flip-flopping between going 4 and 15 to 26 and 2. I'm usually pretty consistent in online games, but I'm just all over the place on this lately.

And for the first time I've ever seen, it started a BTB game with mismatched teams... of 5v1. The guy on the other team quit, immediate win, thanks!

Flood have more health, and the thruster pack and promethean vision are fun to use in that mode. Unlike Reach, it feels like spawning on the infected side is no longer a death trap.

Fair enough.

--------

When is 343 emailing codes for specializations? It's almost the end of the month, and I'm at 48 right now and I want to do the specialization with the stability perk.

Cyclone swallowed rather well.

M5MNE.gif

MrDaravon

Matchmaking fucked for anyone else right now? I'm in a party chat, connected to live, and I can see playlists and player counts, but when I select anything it says I'm not connected to Xbox Live >_>

This post is such a fail. Firstly, all those games (sports) listed ARE competitive. Then there are fun rules that people can play by for casual use and everybody's happy. GET IT? People are pissed because those "fun" rules are what default shit is becoming, some of it to the point where you have no choice but to use a certain stupid mechanic. If your game's default settings are competitive, casuals can enjoy them too and making the silly gametypes and stuff is quite easy. But making the default game so far removed from competitive play serves only one group to the detriment of the other.

What is stopping these casual people in your post from doing all these same things if they're playing with different settings? That's just playstyle (or custom games). Why should that mentality affect those who want to try to win (because that's what they find fun)?

At the bolded, get out of here with that nonsense. P2P online play has latency, no matter what. It's a variable. Problems with the game itself are constants.

I know I'm on the unpopular side of Halo 4, I actually like 90-95% of what is there. The same is in reverse mate, what stops competitive from tweaking settings from a casual base to competitive standards?

The customisation options 343i provided, if you reread my post you'll see I was in favour of exactly that. The system should cater for both and separate them via playlists and settings.

If 343i had just kept or added some customisation for on map spawns, some player spawn settings, flag auto-pickup, flag waypoint (you get the usual idea) then everyone would have what they want.

Just think if 343i enable MLG to have settings and after 1-3 revisions as well as a dedicated playlist I really don't see where all your rage comes from?

The fact is MLG are barely able to decide on a standard of play, anyone who has seen recent episodes of THC will see they're even trying to discuss and come to a standard still. Once that solidifies then I imagine 343i support/playlist/settings will fall in line fairly rapidly.

I think you really missed the point of my post mate, you're just too biased to see I support both sides. I know fence sitting is not the popular vote but there is more than enough in Halo 4 to support competitive play with a little customisation and perhaps 2-3 developer maps built around that play.

If I was the developer and given the MLG Reach state of affairs as well as the current discussions still on going and Halo 4 MLG tournaments I can see why that support is waiting for a standard to arise before implementation.

Edit-
If you look at all those sports you see the competitive version is not played by the casual masses, you missed the point entirely. All those game ARE BOTH competitive AND casual but rarely played by the other crowd with the other settings. The fact I have to spell that out annoys me. Take any statistical data from any of those sport examples or the Halo playlist populations from 3, Reach & 4 then measure up the percentage of competitive (professional) vs. the percentage of casual. You see the point of having differing systems for professional and casuals. Halo has to provide both systems and the fact in all those examples is casual FAR OUTWEIGH competitive (professional) by sheer numbers and variety of play.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't know if it's the game mechanics (ordinance drops, respawn issues, etc), but does anyone seem to run super hot/cold on their performance in this game? My overall K/D has remained pretty static (1.5-1.6), but I feel like every match I'm flip-flopping between going 4 and 15 to 26 and 2. I'm usually pretty consistent in online games, but I'm just all over the place on this lately.

And for the first time I've ever seen, it started a BTB game with mismatched teams... of 5v1. The guy on the other team quit, immediate win, thanks!

Might be truskill. I've notice this with my performance as well.

Enfinit

This was everything I wanted to say, but I was too lazy to write it.

MrDaravon

Might be truskill. I've notice this with my performance as well.

That seems weird though; my overall K/D has been almost completely consistent since a day or two after launch, it's just all of a sudden in the last few days game to game it's all over the place. You think maybe it's trying to start narrowing down truskill levels or something?

Edit: Able to get back on, but all of my loadouts are gone again. I enjoyed not getting spawn killed by vehicles for a few games...

I know I'm on the unpopular side of Halo 4, I actually like 90-95% of what is there. The same is in reverse mate, what stops competitive from tweaking settings from a casual base to competitive standards?

The customisation options 343i provided, if you reread my post you'll see I was in favour of exactly that. The system should cater for both and separate them via playlists and settings.

If 343i had just kept or added some customisation for on map spawns, some player spawn settings, flag auto-pickup, flag waypoint (you get the usual idea) then everyone would have what they want.

Just think if 343i enable MLG to have settings and after 1-3 revisions as well as a dedicated playlist I really don't see where all your rage comes from?

The fact is MLG are barely able to decide on a standard of play, anyone who has seen recent episodes of THC will see they're even trying to discuss and come to a standard still. Once that solidifies then I imagine 343i support/playlist/settings will fall in line fairly rapidly.

I think you really missed the point of my post mate, you're just too biased to see I support both sides. I know fence sitting is not the popular vote but there is more than enough in Halo 4 to support competitive play with a little customisation and perhaps 2-3 developer maps built around that play.

If I was the developer and given the MLG Reach state of affairs as well as the current discussions still on going and Halo 4 MLG tournaments I can see why that support is waiting for a standard to arise before implementation.

I'm not biased. I supported and believed what I was told up until release. I personally knew people that played at the expos and such (with similar mindsets as me) and was told it was really good, with minor issues. Then I got the game...good stuff from conventions was altered/removed (based on testimony from the aforementioned folks) and the limited viewport of their pre-release experience was shattered, ushering in the flood of crap waiting on the other side.

Everyone during Reach was clamoring for them to make it so that competitive leagues wouldn't have to make tons of changes or forge their own maps. There is a significant chunk of the playerbase that just wants a competitive game out of the box. This way, there's less of the splintering of players like Reach, and it extends the life and popularity of the game for both types of players, since the casuals won't care to know the difference anyway (while simultaneously entrenching an already ardent and vocal fanbase).

Also, your bolded sentence? I have no clue what you're trying to say about anything in that.

Duji

The same is in reverse mate, what stops competitive from tweaking settings from a casual base to competitive standards?

No way to turn off instant respawn
No classic CTF options
No liming AAs/Perks in custom games
No way to turn off that annoying 12 second weapon de-spawn
No individual weapon damage modifiers
No autoaim modifiers
No strafe acceleration modifiers
No way to turn off flinch
No way to set bomb arm time in grifball to simulate assault

I can keep going on if you want me to.

edit: anyone else want to argue against this quote?: "A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game can never be played competitively."

Did you just seriously ask this question? Now I know not to take you seriously.

No classic CTF options
No autoaim modifiers

edit: anyone else want to argue against this quote?: "A competitive game can be played casually but a casual game can never be played competitively."

Couldnt you just tweak Slayer pro to have everyone use the Flinch reducing perk? Im purely guessing here, but i remember making a snipers match to use in customs and thought i seen some options like this? As in no AAs and set perks or whatever?

Did you just seriously ask this question? Now I know not to take you seriously.

No classic CTF options
No autoaim modifiers

Way to take something out of context, another fine example of having biased blinders on mate.

You're missing the very next sentence where I answer my own questions...

This means I agree 343i dropped the ball with customisation ability so competitive play could be shaped as they see it. Seriously don't take things out of context and learn to assimilate what you read correctly.

They did include Slayer Pro, sure it's not getting the 100% competitive high fives you want it to but it shows they're trying to bring their new game vision to competitive play. Once MLG iterate to a single standard you'll see that playlist make it into the matchmaking wild. Again if you listen to THC or even peruse the MLG forums you can see there isn't a single magical formula that covers all competitive players. Hell MLG doesn't even cover BTB competitive players that don't like smaller MLG maps/player numbers and no vehicles etc.

My last bold point is exactly that, the competitive community can't even bring about one standard of play. As time goes on this standard or a 2 standards will arise. 343i will support that through and MLG playlist and perhaps updates to ranked playlists or default playlists. That's all I was saying, you're jumping the gun thinking the developer can satisfy all competitive players with one setting. It's going to take some iterations from MLG and feedback from the default community.

I agree more should have been provided for the competitive community out of the box.

If you look at all those sports you see the competitive version is not played by the casual masses, you missed the point entirely. All those game ARE BOTH competitive AND casual but rarely played by the other crowd with the other settings. The fact I have to spell that out annoys me. Take any statistical data from any of those sport examples or the Halo playlist populations from 3, Reach & 4 then measure up the percentage of competitive (professional) vs. the percentage of casual. You see the point of having differing systems for professional and casuals. Halo has to provide both systems and the fact in all those examples is casual FAR OUTWEIGH competitive (professional) by sheer numbers and variety of play.

So by your logic, because tons of people enjoy Mini-golf (a casual, sometimes random, wacky, non-competitive game), anyone that wants to play professional golf should have to build around the shitty mini-golf course and should only have putters available for use while somehow maintaining the standards of actual golf.

You're a quack. And learn to communicate your points if you want people to get them. Not some more of this semi-comprehensible mess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That seems weird though; my overall K/D has been almost completely consistent since a day or two after launch, it's just all of a sudden in the last few days game to game it's all over the place. You think maybe it's trying to start narrowing down truskill levels or something?

Edit: Able to get back on, but all of my loadouts are gone again. I enjoyed not getting spawn killed by vehicles for a few games...

That would be my guess. Sometimes I go on streaks, other times it bounces back and forth. It's far more like that in this game than Reach was. I think it's truskill trying to give you a "good game."

Havok

Couldnt you just tweak Slayer pro to have everyone use the Flinch reducing perk? Im purely guessing here, but i remember making a snipers match to use in customs and thought i seen some options like this? As in no AAs and set perks or whatever?
Stability is a specialization mod, none of which you can set in gametype-specific stock loadouts using the tools we have. So no, you couldn't. Dumb? Yes, it is.

Duji

Way to take something out of context, another fine example of having biased blinders on mate.

You're missing the very next sentence where I answer my own questions...

This means I agree 343i dropped the ball with customisation ability so competitive play could be shaped as they see it. Seriously don't take things out of context and learn to assimilate what you read correctly.
You did. My bad. Multi-tasking while reading posts is not a good idea.

But anyway, I would like you to address League of Legends being the most popular PC game right now, and being a competitive one at that.

That would be my guess. Sometimes I go on streaks, other times it bounces back and forth. It's far more like that in this game than Reach was. I think it's truskill trying to give you a "good game."

My observation is that any connection issues, no matter how small, greatly affect my performance in Halo 4 whereas in Reach I either didn't care or the skill matching was so off-balance that it didn't matter.

A good example would be the games I played with Aggro earlier in the week. Aggro is better than me at this game, and yet, game after game he was struggling while I hit every headshot and put up (for me) good numbers. Compare that to games that I play with a party from the west coast/central US where I am clearly the odd one out on connection. Those games are full of 10 kills 15 assists 8 deaths for me while everyone else destroys.

So by your logic, because tons of people enjoy Mini-golf (a casual, sometimes random, wacky, non-competitive game), anyone that wants to play professional golf should have to build around the shitty mini-golf course and should only have putters available for use while somehow maintaining the standards of actual golf.

You're a quack. And learn to communicate your points if you want people to get them. Not some more of this semi-comprehensible mess.

Again you're misinterpreting. To be clear I suggest 343i should support both major communities with their own settings. Just like my sport examples they are essentially different games and rules.

Halo should reflect the demographics and provide both, why does one have to be crafted from the other?

343i built Flood from the ground up as a new script, they will be doing the same with MLG but that community have to provide the settings and iterate while the developer has to support this and it has to be ongoing.

Duji

You can't use Specialization-specific perks in custom games loadouts.

My observation is that any connection issues, no matter how small, greatly affect my performance in Halo 4 whereas in Reach I either didn't care or the skill matching was so off-balance that it didn't matter.

A good example would be the games I played with Aggro earlier in the week. Aggro is better than me at this game, and yet, game after game he was struggling while I hit every headshot and put up (for me) good numbers. Compare that to games that I play with a party from the west coast/central US where I am clearly the odd one out on connection. Those games are full of 10 kills 15 assists 8 deaths for me while everyone else destroys.

Yep a perfect example of why I consider connection quality and latency matching far more important than game mechanics. LAN of course is a different story.

Latency is the reason the game mechanics break down and I can have a game where I go 25 kills and 2 deaths then next game go 0 kills and 12 deaths. It's not like I was outmatched or went off my game that much. It's an extreme latency highlighted by living in Australia and playing on USA host for example.

I could care less if a player uses a hard light shield and his team mate mops me up 1/2 in 10 kills. More often than not I either out DMR or get out DMR'd due to latency, that is more my concern with game satisfaction.

MrDaravon

Yeah, well it's screwing me hard tonight. I've been on for over two hours; I only needed 8 wins when I got on, and two hours I've gotten THREE fucking wins, and I'm going grossly negative almost every game. It's like it fucking knows all I want on this earth is to get the fucking monthly challenge so I can be done with this.

Again you're misinterpreting. To be clear I suggest 343i should support both major communities with their own settings. Just like my sport examples they are essentially different games and rules.

Halo should reflect the demographics and provide both, why does one have to be crafted from the other?

343i built Flood from the ground up as a new script, they will be doing the same with MLG but that community have to provide the settings and iterate while the developer has to support this and it has to be ongoing.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHADFHDS:LFKJH:SDG KJ: LFKDSJ:LHKDFG!

Sorry, that one was too good.

Dude. They fucked over fans of infection gametypes too! They used the exact same shit as standard infection, added a player skin and some armor abilities. At the same time, they removed the ability for casual infection players to make their own gametypes (odd as that sounds to my ears). They screwed over both sides of the aisle. Let's hope they don't do the same with competitive settings. And stop saying MLG like one community owns the exact settings or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah, I've noticed serious latency issues effecting game this go around as well. Not sure what they fucked up in that regard.

Yep a perfect example of why I consider connection quality and latency matching far more important than game mechanics. LAN of course is a different story.

Latency is the reason the game mechanics break down and I can have a game where I go 25 kills and 2 deaths then next game go 0 kills and 12 deaths. It's not like I was outmatched or went off my game that much. It's an extreme latency highlighted by living in Australia and playing on USA host for example.

I could care less if a player uses a hard light shield and his team mate mops me up 1/2 in 10 kills. More often than not I either out DMR or get out DMR'd due to latency, that is more my concern with game satisfaction.

You realize that all these laggy games are laggy for us too right? So tired of this excuse.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Flood is literally reskinned Infection with different armor abilities. Like, there's no difference other than character/weapon models.

Stability is a specialization mod, none of which you can set in gametype-specific stock loadouts using the tools we have. So no, you couldn't. Dumb? Yes, it is.

You can't use Specialization-specific perks in custom games loadouts.

Wasnt too sure i mustve read it wrong, my bad.

Surely this was an oversight right? The gametype customisations have been pretty standard in the recent halos.

Maybe its fixable through a TU?

I do not understand why some of y'all are making excuses for blatantly bad design choices and a lack of effort on 343's part. Why not point fingers and demand more? Why settle for less?

If you all want to continue to accept mediocrity go ahead and embrace Halo 4; as for me, I will continue to critique it because I know they can do better.

You did. My bad. Multi-tasking while reading posts is not a good idea.

But anyway, I would like you to address League of Legends being the most popular PC game right now, and being a competitive one at that.

No worries mate.

I have to admit I don't play League of Legends but I'm not saying it's a bad idea to build competitive first then casual from there. However in terms of Halo the end result is still much the same e.g. casuals like vehicles and competitive play will never have them in play so League of Legends isn't an apples to apples comparison.

By way of just having 100% the same game between competitive & casual. In Halo those differences are to vast for settings let alone gametype as well e.g. living dead, grifball.

What we have now with Halo though requires this from the developer and competitive community to deliver those settings with 95% of what that community wants:

1. More customisation options for flag, spawns, sprint cool down time etc. (developer).

2. More symmetrical smaller maps but catering for sprint/no sprint as well (both developer made maps and community forged maps).

3. Forge updates (developer based on community feedback).

4. Community play testing such as MLG Halo 4 tourney. (again developer updates based on community feedback).

5. Iterate this until play test and tournaments settle on something agreeable.

Wasnt too sure i mustve read it wrong, my bad.

Surely this was an oversight right? The gametype customisations have been pretty standard in the recent halos.

Maybe its fixable through a TU?

Practically "everything" (with a few exceptions) is fixable through a TU. People are annoyed because the TU shouldn't be necessary.

No worries mate.

I have to admit I don't play League of Legends but I'm not saying it's a bad idea to build competitive first then casual from there. However in terms of Halo the end result is still much the same e.g. casuals like vehicles and competitive play will never have them in play so League of Legends isn't an apples to apples comparison.

By way of just having 100% the same game between competitive & casual. In Halo those differences are to vast for settings let alone gametype as well e.g. living dead, grifball.

What we have now with Halo though requires this from the developer and competitive community to deliver those settings with 95% of what that community wants:

1. More customisation options for flag, spawns, sprint cool down time etc. (developer).

2. More symmetrical smaller maps but catering for sprint/no sprint as well (both developer made maps and community forged maps).

3. Forge updates (developer based on community feedback).

4. Community play testing such as MLG Halo 4 tourney. (again developer updates based on community feedback).

5. Iterate this until play test and tournaments settle on something agreeable.
Don't forget the fact that people wanted a complete working game on launch!

Practically "everything" (with a few exceptions) is fixable through a TU. People are annoyed because the TU shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah but are 343 actually going to TU the game? And if so to what degree. I could see the whole "This is the game the way we wanted it" excuse coming out.

Id love to see it happen though.

Snipers coming back is more important than any of the MLG setting though :p

willow ve

Every game now has a title update. You simply can't predict what will happen to a game once it's released to the denizens of Xbox Live.

The real annoying point is that we don't have any information on when a Title Update might be expected, what it will address, or if it will be universal or limited to certain playlists. I would reckon that the majority of the frustration stems from a lack of clarity in communication between the devs and the fans.

If you take BF3 as an example they have a TON of information on the development side that is passed to their userbase in their blog. Each tweak and each successive title update is discussed, at minimum, in bullet points. We most likely will never see this for Halo, ergo the frustration continues.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Replaying the first cut scene, does Jen sound better as Halsey in Ops? She sounds a bit too Cortana-y in the opening cutscene, but perfect in Spartan Ops.

Top Bottom