• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

F it. One of the worst. I signed up for this place because of posters like BigShow, even behind the sarcasm, if I asked a question, they'd actually put together a thoughtful reply. I learned something.

The last couple OTs have just been completely flooded with your lot, whose only value is the 1/1000 of a calorie I burn from scrolling the mouse down another 3 lines. It's trash.

Screw it. I'm going to muck around Slayer, watch some Halocouncil vids, and wait for Doubles to come back.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I have no idea if it was interstitial, wanted to get it across the board if possible.

I sure hope it's not just possible but is on the way.

I am officially requesting a map pack code for the new map pack for Halo 4 on November 28, 2012.

Edit: I already paid for it. Just want it early.

Thank you

Yea I'd like it early too. Those map pack trailers/montages I've made pre release were always so much fun to do.

PRAYING for some smaller maps in this map pack.

IHaveIce

Banned
I am officially requesting a map pack code for the new map pack for Halo 4 on November 28, 2012.

Edit: I already paid for it. Just want it early.

Thank you

If people would get it earlier than the LE buyers and eerything it would be another really stupid move :/

Omni

Don't tease me. Right now, Halo 2 Anniversary with MP is the only thing that could get me excited about Halo.

Meh. I'm quite happy with Halo 4's multiplayer. It has problems, sure, but the overall feel of the game isn't all that different to previous iterations. Quite excited about the map pack

I just want to go through Halo 2's campaign again with new visuals... and get achievements for it.

Tashi

To read the thread, you would think that one actually plays, nor enjoys this game, so I have to really wonder if a league would make it past week 1. Now, if were to hold a piss & moan contest, it could last for years.

Thinking the same thing man. Shit sucks.

Ramirez

Thinking the same thing man. Shit sucks.

If you want to hash out the gametypes, and decide on what kind of structure we're going to use for ranks, I say we go ahead and start it this week!

^ Running to CoD of all games because of lag, bad choice!

Tashi

If you want to hash out the gametypes, and decide on what kind of structure we're going to use for ranks, I say we go ahead and start it this week!

^ Running to CoD of all games because of lag, bad choice!

Ok, let's lock them in by tomorrow night. We can have the first matches take place over the weekend.

The system works fine. 7-8 host switches in a match screams of an outlier.

Well it just happened again, this time in dominion. Game finished, people left, new game took forever to start since people were joining after the countdown and was lagging whole way through. Works fine alright.

MrDaravon

Switching to CoD tonight. The lag is that bad.

There's a thread on the gaming-side, there seem to be XBL issues in general today. I'm getting really bad lag and blackscreens tonight, and that hasn't happened to me at all since the day after launch. The game being totally lag free for me is actually one of the things I really like about it.

rakka

I swear I'm looking at a black screen many times while players are running around killing me. I mean, I see the score changing right in front of my eyes. At times my team is ahead, then black screen, oh it's just host migration for the millionth time, then when the game resumes we're behind by quite a bit. hmmm

There'd be some form of lag compensation in this game?

There is I believe, basically what you see isn't exactly whats happening. Stuff is being filled in with heuristics.

Also theres a sort of leniance period where if your shots hit and you get a kill its going to count even if you die. A trade-window period.

Tashi

There's a thread on the gaming-side, there seem to be XBL issues in general today. I'm getting really bad lag and blackscreens tonight, and that hasn't happened to me at all since the day after launch. The game being totally lag free for me is actually one of the things I really like about it.

Oh its XBL huh? Welp, looks like I'm playing StarCraft tonight lol

IHaveIce

Banned
Xbox live is messy today all around for me not just Halo.

also Halo 2 totally got confirmed
I kid

IHaveIce ‏@IHaveIce
@bsangel Of course about Halo 2 anniversary right? ... Ok map pack related hopefully... and hopefully some patchnotes and MM updates <3

5m Jessica Shea &#8207;@bsangel
@IHaveIce Yes to three of the four. #youregood

orznge

Banned
F it. One of the worst. I signed up for this place because of posters like BigShow, even behind the sarcasm, if I asked a question, they'd actually put together a thoughtful reply. I learned something.

The last couple OTs have just been completely flooded with your lot, whose only value is the 1/1000 of a calorie I burn from scrolling the mouse down another 3 lines. It's trash.

Screw it. I'm going to muck around Slayer, watch some Halocouncil vids, and wait for Doubles to come back.

I have written a paragraph or two in the past but there are a lot of design issues with this game and their negative impact is so great that it should be implicit to anyone that is even a little interested in game design

There'd be some form of lag compensation in this game?

There is plenty of latency thresholds on the hitscan precision weapons and network prediction on player movements. Both of which get an international player killed plenty.

I swear I'm looking at a black screen many times while players are running around killing me. I mean, I see the score changing right in front of my eyes. At times my team is ahead, then black screen, oh it's just host migration for the millionth time, then when the game resumes we're behind by quite a bit. hmmm

I saw the same thing just last night in one game, I'm convinced it was the effects of network manipulation and quick standby toggling to avoid the anti cheating systems. Also host cheating is still possible in Halo 4, same as ever, which just leads to network manipulation via host or bridging once again.

I think regen field might be my new armor lock.

Shit is really pissing me off in Team slayer.

Also camo with power weapons...

I still can't believe they buffed camo over the version in Reach. I can look directly at someone in camo and barely tell they are there before boom bolt shot to the face.

MrDaravon

Oh its XBL huh? Welp, looks like I'm playing StarCraft tonight lol

Apparently. People are having trouble logging in and problems in general. Probably explains why earlier Halo 4 was telling me I wasn't connected to XBL when I was online and in a party chat. Also I've really had barely any lag issues in War Games like some people have, but tonight was a total shitshow and worse for me than it was for those couple of days at launch, seems like too much of a coincidence.

Karl2177

I only missed the past 6 hours, I feel bad for anyone that misses an entire day of posts. Anywho...

-Someone called out 343 saying that they need to get their act together. I agree. Either there was no marketing team, or they were a bunch of recruits from Microsoft. We had a teaser trailer for 3 months, then a concept art trailer, then nothing for 5 months. Our first gameplay came from an off-screen VHS recorded tape in a barn. Not official channels. The amount of off-screen materials presented throughout was larger than the on-screen materials. Guess where the news was posted? Here. Not Waypoint, their official website. And look what happened because of it: people joined NeoGAF for the sole reason that Frank and Ellis posted here. Do I want them to stop posting here? No, they're nice peeps. I just want them to utilize their own site effectively.

Going back to 343's decisions though, and I mean little to no offense to Jessica, but the weeks that she was gone were some of the better updates. Maybe Frank has a natural talent for bullshitting, or maybe I'm just not a fan of her writing style, but Frank wrote better updates even though there was less actual content in them. Also, when I go to Halo Waypoint, I wanted to look at the most recent Halo 4 news, not Reach Ship themed Forges. What is actual headlines and isn't was awful. We could also look at how they handled pre-order DLC. That was a nightmare if I've ever seen one. There was no official release as to what helmets came with the LE until 3 weeks before launch, at which point LEs were already sold out.

We can look at features that were cut or changed, but in the end we area still asking why. Why was campaign theatre cut? Why is CSR delayed until next year? Why were the familiar enemies redesigned graphically? Why is there no Classic FFA? Why the decision to add perks? Why keep camo as an AA instead of a powerup like Overshield or Speed Boost? Why remove the powerup orbs? Why were button bindings for the sticks overlooked by CA? Why are the books essential reading if you want to understand the basic game story? People are forced to speculate on all of these. The transparency that 343 has doesn't convey confidence or intelligence. It's the opposite.

-Someone said that you can design downwards in a competitive-casual cycle, but not upwards. This is partially true. You can casualize far more than you can compete. But you cannot go in either direction infinitely. A core competitive game can only be casualized so far. That's why my own design philosophy is to design for 2 extremes and give the options to land anywhere in the middle.

-Lastly, I read Havok's latest post about encounters in SpOps. I agree 100%. Enemy introduction has been a clear misstep that 343 made.

I still can't believe they buffed camo over the version in Reach. I can look directly at someone in camo and barely tell they are there before boom bolt shot to the face.

So you don't see the radar blue dots when a player activates camo? Am I missing something?

Apart from camo hiding in Dominion I just don't find camo that much of a hassle to fight against. Occasionally get camo sniped but once that happens that guy gets targeted pretty hard after that.

rakka

I saw the same thing just last night in one game, I'm convinced it was the effects of network manipulation and quick standby toggling to avoid the anti cheating systems. Also host cheating is still possible in Halo 4, same as ever, which just leads to network manipulation via host or bridging once again.

whatever it is, it's happening to me a lot more than it did in reach. not to mention laggy games in general. im all for trueskill but that it takes that much priority over a good connection to the point where some matches are unplayable (especially in swat where the slightest lag has a huge effect) is ridiculous...

there's thousands of players online, I'm pretty sure there's more than just a few players in australia. but no, trueskill thinks i'm better off playing someone in the UK or the US because we're of closer skill level, who gives a shit about geographical location, right?

Oh and when weapons of dead spartans are laying down on the floor right beside the base console in the dominion gametype and you cant activate the base because instead of activating itll just pick up weapons from off the floor is just brilliant.

Redford

aka Cabbie
There is I believe, basically what you see isn't exactly whats happening. Stuff is being filled in with heuristics.

Also theres a sort of leniance period where if your shots hit and you get a kill its going to count even if you die. A trade-window period.

There is plenty of latency thresholds on the hitscan precision weapons and network prediction on player movements. Both of which get an international player killed plenty.

Yeah, I've gotten the trades a few times. Stopping power makes the Wanted-style around-corner death a bit more common, maybe half as bad as MW3, which is somewhat cause for concern I guess but I wasn't sure when it happened so it's probably fine..

Wonder if this has been a recent addition though.

So you don't see the radar blue dots when a player activates camo? Am I missing something?

Apart from camo hiding in Dominion I just don't find camo that much of a hassle to fight against. Occasionally get camo sniped but once that happens that guy gets targeted pretty hard after that.

Good fix would be having the Boltshot glow through it. But Camo needs to have blue dots at all times, no question.

Oh and when weapons of dead spartans are laying down on the floor right beside the base console in the dominion gametype and you cant activate the base because instead of activating itll just pick up weapons from off the floor is just brilliant.

Shhh, we'll end up with auto-activation ;)

I had that once, hopefully doesn't catch on like weapons on flags from 2/3/Reach.

Wonder if this has been a recent addition.

It's been in since Halo 2 online days but tweaked every game and just about every update. The bruteshot had a threshold as did the BR, which made for bullet refunds and all that. Same as getting shot through a wall in 3 or missed sniper headshots in 3 as well. They were still present in Reach but hidden from view better.

Now with killcam we can see just how much shit is getting skewed from view. You should see some of the killcam stuff I've seen playing from Australia..fucking joke to be blunt. USA host and USA local players must be like this guy never lands a DMR shot, loser!

I've seen a lot of complaining about Spartan Ops, but I still find it fun. I don't really know what people were expecting because it is basically what I thought it would be. You aren't going to get free new levels every week for 10 weeks, this is a Microsoft game after all. That would be a lot of work anyway. The only thing I can say I don't like about it is Palmer. She is annoying after a while.

rakka

I'd prefer camo to have the jammer effect it had in reach, as weapons appear as blue dots on the motion sensor too.

hell, I'd prefer it if camo was simply a pickup, so only one player could have it at a time, and you could communicate that.

You see the dots on the radar, but when they're hiding behind a corner you don't have the same visual confirmation when you round the corner. Maybe it's just me though.

orznge

Banned
A first person shooter in which multiplayer of the arena variety is a main component has been released in the year 2012 and does not include an FFA gametype.

You see the dots on the radar, but when they're hiding behind a corner you don't have the same visual confirmation when you round the corner. Maybe it's just me though.

Not trying to be a dick about it but once I see the first blue dots on the radar you can almost ascertain the centre point for where the camo guy is. They are actually one of those blue dots exactly. Same as Reach basically but just blue now instead of red.

I don't even think camo needs a nerf really, I think it has its place amongst the other abilities just fine.

^I was under the impression they disappear when crouching.

Blue dots stay but the player if crouching or standing still is very invisible. Once they grenade, shoot or move (not crouched or slow walking) then they flicker with camo and are easy to identify. If any shield damage has occurred then you can see the shield orange flicker around the camo user too.

I think it's fine how it is. Camo in Reach wasn't strong enough to counter the other AA's, now in 4 we have that power balance (I think anyway).

Top Bottom