• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Fracas

#fuckonami
Alright, this is coming from someone who has really enjoyed the game. Up until now.

This shit is already coming to fruition. People don't want to play the "game," they are playing the tools. These games are turning into nothing but exercises in how to abuse game mechanics and not an enjoyable experience. People corner camping with camo, boltshot, using camo with power weapons. Using promethian vision (don't worry it's GREAT!!!!) to stall gameplay. Regen chaining etc. This game is becoming completely "un fun" and I'm really seeing what people are complaining about now.

I already see myself abandoning this game and I even stuck with Reach's bullshit longer than this. I just spent the last two hours getting completely wrecked in infinity slayer by people doing the bullshit I refuse to do and I know I could learn how to "combat" this shit, but that's not the point. I shouldn't have to, the game shouldn't be a "troll's toolbox" but it is.

Seeing longtime members of the community one by one hate this game really makes me sad. :(

And the ability to have Safe Havens removed. Although that's probably due to Bungie removing it completely from matchmaking a few months after Reach came out. Safe Havens was something awesome if it would have had some more time put into it, and better settings to actually encourage being in the haven.
A dominion-flood hybrid could be interesting. Humans fortify bases to defend themselves from the flood. Obviously strip the 'resupply', etc, but it could prove interesting.

One word: Grifball.

Ramirez

Guys remember when the halogaf thread when Halo 3 was king.. remember how awesome it was.... I would read one or two pages and instantly want to play 3 all day... customs were a fucking BLAST...Ghal's pic stories was the best...

I wish it was still like that...
I wish halo 4 wasn't a bad game..
I wish...343 knew what they were doing..
I wish.....

........ ........... ........... ............remember?

Oh my God, I completely forgot about that. Wow.

He's the guy who worked on Turok, right?

Please say something bad about Turok.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Alright, this is coming from someone who has really enjoyed the game. Up until now.

This shit is already coming to fruition. People don't want to play the "game," they are playing the tools. These games are turning into nothing but exercises in how to abuse game mechanics and not an enjoyable experience. People corner camping with camo, boltshot, using camo with power weapons. Using promethian vision (don't worry it's GREAT!!!!) to stall gameplay. Regen chaining etc. This game is becoming completely "un fun" and I'm really seeing what people are complaining about now.

I already see myself abandoning this game and I even stuck with Reach's bullshit longer than this. I just spent the last two hours getting completely wrecked in infinity slayer by people doing the bullshit I refuse to do and I know I could learn how to "combat" this shit, but that's not the point. I shouldn't have to, the game shouldn't be a "troll's toolbox" but it is.

I really wonder what everyone is playing. I can't specifically think of a single time I died because of an AA, camo or otherwise. Jetpack is obviously nerfed (I fail to make jumps w/ it so often). I get boltshotted maybe once a game or two. I don't see the camping. Certainly not close to as much as Reach.

Join in progress flaws, that's a problem. Hit feedback, that's a step backwards.

But this other stuff, I just don't see it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I really wonder what everyone is playing. I can't specifically think of a single time I died because of an AA, camo or otherwise. I get boltshotted maybe once a game or two. I don't see the camping. Certainly not close to as much as Reach.

Join in progress flaws, that's problem. Hit feedback, that's a step backwards.

But this other stuff, I just don't see it.

Maybe tonight was stick AlienShogun in games full of assholes day or something. I've not written the game off yet, but if this shit keeps happening, it won't take long.

neoism

You should feel lucky you got 3 weeks..I was sooo excited for like a week, then it stopped and I realized how bad it feels(the game) and it just has no longevity...

343 needs to realize this is WHY you have a beta so everyone the wants the game can play it...before they throw money at it... and not let it be for not... and fix this shit before its released....Glad I have Reach...
its so much fun compared to halo 4

Karl2177

I'm playing some Halo 3 campaign. If anyone wants to join feel free. GT: Karl2177

Also, 3 spots opened up on my FL if anyone wants to add me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You should come watch me play a better version of SpOps then...

I'll pop in, but my wife just got home, so I'll probably not be there long.

You should feel lucky you got 3 weeks..I was sooo excited for like a week, then it stopped and I realized how bad it feels(the game) and it just has no longevity...

343 needs to realize this is WHY you have a beta so everyone the wants the game can play it...before they throw money at it... and not let it be for not... and fix this shit before its released....Glad I have Reach...
its so much fun compared to halo 4

That's just it, I've not gotten 3 weeks. I've been off and on since launch with getting that job and graduating college in 3 weeks. But the little bit I've gotten has drastically shifted from those early days to today.

I'm only SR 33-34 (No extra XP code use)

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Maybe tonight was stick AlienShogun in games full of assholes day or something. I've not written the game off yet, but if this shit keeps happening, it won't take long.

You certainly aren't the first person I've seen mention it. I just find it incredibly surprising because I more often then not notice the incredible lack of camping in my games.

Duji

complaining that people aren't constructive is always the worst. people here have been posting large constructive posts consistently for years - way before most people reading this thread joined GAF. makes no difference. hell large posts are mostly ignored, we had like 2 or 3 just today.

didn't josh holmes post a picture of a crying baby on his twitter when the first news of halo 4 launched? I'd rather see people vent about the product they paid for than sit here twiddling thumbs and dreaming of an imaginary dialogue between the fragile endangered sensitive game makers and the people who spent money on their game.

Pretty much. And also game devs gotta realize that people are going to bitch no matter what, and that the biggest whiners are generally those who are most passionate about their games. It's about them manning up and dealing with us.

Please elaborate.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Alot of that is made worse by the fact that the griefers don't even have to go on the internet to find out what these loadouts and tactics are anymore because of the cams. I notice even harmless trends across games on a particular day like people scrubbing it with magnums in SWAT and I am dissappointed because this also is what happens in you-know-what-game.

Seeing longtime members of the community one by one hate this game really makes me sad. :(

Don't worry, we still have members like Digital Limit that know their shit!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

So many things in Halo 4 encourages camping. Camo, promethean vision, even hologram to some degree. Personal ordnance means you don't have to venture out for power weapons. Boltshot as a loadout means you've got a mini shotgun in your pocket. DMR spam forces people to turtle down on big, open maps. Height indicators on the radar mean you know exactly where the enemies are, so you can camp and wait for them to come to you.

Of course, people don't have to abuse all these things, but they do, and the fact that they would is predictable. Like... It should have been predicted. Like... When making the game.

willow ve

You certainly aren't the first person I've seen mention it. I just find it incredibly surprising because I more often then not notice the incredible lack of camping in my games.

Play BTB. There are moments in that gametype that you'll check the scoreboard wondering if anyone on the other team is still playing... then you'll get pinged by Camo DMR kids crouching behind trees and rocks.

Camo should be hard countered by Prom Vision. Even while in camo the PV should outline you.

----

Black screen giveth and Black screen taketh away.

One black screen tonight spawned an extra sniper in my base in Ragnraok. The next black screen gave a guy on the opposing team with an almost dead (purple flames and no wings) banshee a brand new fucking banshee in mid air. How does that happen?

neoism

Usually my mindset is strongly subjective to the Convention over Configuration paradigm, but I feel this takes a lot of fun out of Halo. For example, Halo: Reach was heaps of fun at LAN parties where we only played super social gametypes. The latest Halo 4 LAN was boring until we discovered that the Thruster pack scales with movement speed, and instakill SAWs with bottomless clips (do try!). Configuration, or more accurately customisation is and always should be an integral and growing part of Halo.

if something like this is played on Saturday customs I'm game...

Ken

Slayer Pro used to be a nice place to get away from "WHY DOES HE HAVE A SHOTGUN/I GOT SNIPED BY A BEAM RIFLE WHY IS THERE ONE ON HAVEN/DING DING DING PV (perfect grenade into one shot) wwwwwwww" but then Team SWAT brutalized the playlist population so meh.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 3 is so much better than Halo 4 it's not even funny.

I just dicked around with kittens, Bregmann, and Franklinator for like 2 hours and had more fun than I've ever had in Halo 4.

Ivan

This is PERFECTION. Like they somehow dug deep down my brain and made this for my eyes only.

Destiny looks to be everything I could have dreamed of. It's as if Bungie dug around in my brain for the game that I would love the most.

Brother?

ecQos.jpg

I really want to like Halo 4, and I want to support 343. Guys like Frankie and Ellis seem to genuinely care about the community. Ellis got me all of the nameplates in Reach for no reason other than I asked if anyone could get me a Halo PC code one time. I've liked a lot of what 343 has done. The books have been good(at least what I've read), Halo Legends was entertaining for what it was, Waypoint has had some cool videos, I'm really thankful for CEA, and I enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, and I'm still enjoying Spartan Ops. Unfortunately, the multiplayer has way too many frustrating components. I feel bad for Frankie and Ellis who have to read this stuff, because almost all of these design decisions weren't theirs'. Halo multiplayer was so great because it was simple, yet deep at the same time. Halo 4 introduced too many variables, and most of them are annoying. I'm not going to list them because we all know what they are at this point. I just hope 343 listens to the community and makes the changes Halo 4 needs to make it more fun. The core gunplay is the best since Halo 2, but the fluff on top makes for an incredibly frustrating and inconsistent experience.

Redford

aka Cabbie
To those who've been playing H3 recently, how does the sniper compare to 4? My memory wants to say they've got somewhat similar hitboxes and aim-assist?

Tawpgun

I'd argue Grifball and SSBM are competitive games at their core. There's just a lot of fluff added. Whether it's AA's, certain settings, items, levels etc.

Are there more competetive games out there than SSBM and Grifball, sure. Street Fighter is a more competetive fighting game. But then again, Counter Strike or Quake are more competetive shooters than Halo.

Halo 4 is like

Grifball: Instant Respawns. Bomb spawns at random spot on map. Get enough kills and you can use speed boost, or OS, or damage boost etc.

SSBM: I guess default SSBM, lol. BUT WITH NO WAY OF TURNING OFF ITEMS. Also, critical hits being introduced.

Fracas

#fuckonami
To those who've been playing H3 recently, how does the sniper compare to 4? My memory wants to say they've got somewhat similar hitboxes and aim-assist?

Halo 4's sniper is easily the most user friendly IMO. Halo 3's is a lot harder to use. Hitboxes seem smaller as well.

neoism

To those who've been playing H3 recently, how does the sniper compare to 4?

4 is easier than Reach's sniper... 3 you really needed to be good with it I was not, never was a fan of having to lead with a sniper... Reach's sniper is the king though in design and everything.. but I'm biased..4's is ok to use but I really dislike the design... only got like 250 some games in and haven't really got a change to use the beam rifle much...

fawaz

Banned
so what are the chances of halo 5 not having AAs, and I don't mean AA free playlists. Honestly, no body liked them in reach, so why bring them back and include a wall hack.

And who's idea was it to implement instant spawning? Has he played halo before?

Nirvana

Most of the people I've seen upset about the game are complaining like most people did about Halo 3 and Reach. People complained that they got killed a lot because of certain specific things in the game and that hurt their experience. The fact is, if everyone went positive when they played, they wouldn't complain nearly as much.

Seems most people are just having a few bad games and then jumping on here and justifying why they shouldn't have died. I do the same thing, everyone does and this game has a lot of extra ways for you to die in irritating ways, but it also has a lot of ways to keep players playing.

I'm still enjoying Halo 4, it's a far better game than Reach ever was and it has brought back some competitivity for me that I enjoyed so much in Halo 3.

Hopefully this period of anger resolves itself when people learn to combat the weapons/abilities they get annoyed about dying from, because this thread is devolving into Waypoint levels of petty aggression and post ragequit anger.

heckfu

Banned
Most of the people I've seen upset about the game are complaining like most people did about Halo 3 and Reach. People complained that they got killed a lot because of certain specific things in the game and that hurt their experience. The fact is, if everyone went positive when they played, they wouldn't complain nearly as much.

family_feud_three_strikes.jpg

Buzz. Dumb logic.

Redford

aka Cabbie
4 is easier than Reach's sniper... 3 you really needed to be good with it I was not, never was a fan of having to lead with a sniper... Reach's sniper is the king though in design and everything.. but I'm biased..4's is ok to use but I really dislike the design... only got like 250 some games in and haven't really got a change to use the beam rifle much...

Aesthetically, Yeah, Reach Sniper's look was the pinnacle. 4's walking animations bugs the hell out of me, and it's colors are quite gross. /nitpick

Beam Rifle is a snapshot machine, the word to describe it would be "buttery."

I think Reach's sniper is easier than 4, by quite a bit. Movement speed may have something to do with that though.

That's probably the case.

Tawpgun

Then what makes a game casual? There is a strategy to most games, and an execution element, which is all you need to deem a game competitive.

Well lets keep it to PvP games.

A casual game would be one that is built on LOL FUN over balance. So stuff like randomness, rewarding good players with better stuff, Fiesta.

SSBM has random item drops on asymmetric levels. This is why to make the game competetive, no items are introduced and they only play on symmetrical levels. I think certain characters are banned as well.

It's not hard to differentiate the two in one game. But you can't compare different games.

Infinity Slayer is casual fun. There's strategy, but also a lot of randomness. Slayer Pro (disregarding global ordnance bullshit) is more competetive. Even starting ground.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Seems most people are just having a few bad games and then jumping on here and justifying why they shouldn't have died. I do the same thing, everyone does and this game has a lot of extra ways for you to die in irritating ways, but it also has a lot of ways to keep players playing.

I'm still enjoying Halo 4, it's a far better game than Reach ever was and it has brought back some competitivity for me that I enjoyed so much in Halo 3.

Hopefully this period of anger resolves itself when people learn to combat the weapons/abilities they get annoyed about dying from, because this thread is devolving into Waypoint levels of petty aggression and post ragequit anger.

People are complaining because huge parts of the game are either broken or literally not working.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

If you think it's about k/d ratio you've not been paying attention.

Tawpgun

Can we get squad slayer back?

Yes yes yes yes.

We loved Squad Slayer in Reach because it was Base Reach Gameplay, but without the bullshit (armor lock and AR starts)

A "Squad Slayer" in Halo 4 would be the base gameplay but no PV, no camo, no boltshot, static ordnance, etc.

Omni

Aesthetically, Yeah, Reach Sniper's look was the pinnacle. 4's walking animations bugs the hell out of me, and it's colors are quite gross. /nitpick

Beam Rifle is a snapshot machine, the word to describe it would be "buttery."

Beam rifle is missing that 'punch' in the audio department that it had in 2/3, IMO. It doesn't feel powerful, and so I tend to avoid it.

rakka

reach snipers visual recoil isn't as annoying, looks a hundred times better, sounds better. don't know if it's just me, but the much darker surrounding in halo 4 sniper scope makes it much more frustrating to use and scope screen looks complicated for the sake of being more futuristic or whatever, in the end it's just a distraction.

Top Bottom