• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

TCKaos

Most of the people I've seen upset about the game are complaining like most people did about Halo 3 and Reach. People complained that they got killed a lot because of certain specific things in the game and that hurt their experience. The fact is, if everyone went positive when they played, they wouldn't complain nearly as much.

Seems most people are just having a few bad games and then jumping on here and justifying why they shouldn't have died. I do the same thing, everyone does and this game has a lot of extra ways for you to die in irritating ways, but it also has a lot of ways to keep players playing.

I'm still enjoying Halo 4, it's a far better game than Reach ever was and it has brought back some competitivity for me that I enjoyed so much in Halo 3.

Hopefully this period of anger resolves itself when people learn to combat the weapons/abilities they get annoyed about dying from, because this thread is devolving into Waypoint levels of petty aggression and post ragequit anger.

My K/D was 1.5 the first week and has slowly averaged itself out to about 1.25, which is better than anything I had in Reach. There are specific, targetable elements of this game and its sandbox that are beyond a shadow of a doubt game breaking or quite literally non-functional. Combined with a vast reduction of features from a game that was released five years ago with a much much smaller budget and smaller team consisting of very few if any industry "super stars" (if one could call them such), I have a feeling that my complaints are valid.

Tawpgun

At the end of the day thats what its about. If you went +15 in every one of those games, you wouldnt be bitching. Thats how it is and hes completely right.

My K/D with the boltshot is probably astronomical. Its in every one of my loadouts except for my BTB one.

But that thing needs to go.

Omni

At the end of the day thats what its about. If you went +15 in every one of those games, you wouldnt be bitching. Thats how it is and hes completely right.

Not true at all.

There have been games in 4 where I've had a 2+ K/D, but still felt frustrated at some of the mechanics. Not that I'm about to give up on the game like others apparently have (I think it's pretty damn good overall), it's just that going positive doesn't mean that the game feels any better.

Ramirez

I do sometimes wonder how much of the hatred is coming from true skill actually working in Halo 4. Playing good people will magnify a game's weaknesses by about a 1,000, only natural!

Tawpgun

I do sometimes wonder how much of the hatred is coming from true skill actually working in Halo 4. Playing good people will magnify a game's weaknesses by about a 1,000, only natural!

Good point as well. We would go on huge dong streaks in Squad Slayer or Team Objective. Was like Reach GOTY. But once we hit an evenly matched team it was raaaaagggeeee.

Though I will say, close games in Halo 3 felt a lot more fair. Instead of being mad, I'd have my heart beating.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It doesn't matter which side of the donging I'm on, a bad game is a bad game.

A ton of my matches in Reach were against terrible players, and the game still sucked.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
winning:losing k/d isn't the issue being talked about right now. The complaint is "bullshit" in the game that hurts the overall fun of it. I said as much in the earlier post. I'm too old to give a fuck about stats in games. I'm not too old to want a game that isn't chock full of troll tools.

Karl2177

Huh. I must really fucking love this game.

OnHyk.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spartan Ops is wearing on me now. At least TRY to make it less obvious it's just wave after wave after wave. I swear last episode and this one it got tiresome real quick, but the Ragnarok one last episode was even more blatant and looooooooooooooooooooooong.

Duji

Then what makes a game casual? There is a strategy to most games, and an execution element, which is all you need to deem a game competitive.

The original statement says that casual games cannot be played competitively.

Vanilla SSBM can't be taken seriously on a competitive level. One guy can get a legendary pokemon and win the game. Competitive SSBM, with banned champions and such, can be played both competitively and for fun. They're basically two different games due to the rules being completely different, except the latter can be enjoyed by more audiences.

Grifball is actually competitive by its very nature. There are very few random elements. The only problem with Grifball is the fact that your grav hammer has a lot to do with your connection, but nothing much can be done about that. Some folks may look at Grifball and say "Yea, that n00b game," but it is undoubtedly a competitive game.

But I will say that you bring up an interesting point. Some subjectivity does come into play on how we define casual and competitive.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yes yes yes yes.

We loved Squad Slayer in Reach because it was Base Reach Gameplay, but without the bullshit (armor lock and AR starts)

A "Squad Slayer" in Halo 4 would be the base gameplay but no PV, no camo, no boltshot, static ordnance, etc.
I would play the hell out of this and love Halo 4.

Booties

Banned
2 xboxes - $500
halo 1,2,3,odst,wars,reach,4,cea - $60 * 8 = $480
5+ years XBL = 5*$50 = $250
halo 3 DLC = $45
halo reach DLC = $45
controllers, batteries, crappy headsets my cat chewed up = $100
turtle beach PX5 wireless surround sound headset = $250

$1,670

Stop telling me to be a nice guy to game developers funded by microsoft.

What embargo I swear if a bunch of press release nerds got to play the new maps before ME and are going to slap a 9.8 amazing on them while being spoon-fed Mountain Dew Doritos I'm going to shit on my Halo 4 disc.
Prepare to poop on your Halo 4 disc.

I hope the embargo is at Midnight PST.
so what are the chances of halo 5 not having AAs, and I don't mean AA free playlists. Honestly, no body liked them in reach, so why bring them back and include a wall hack.
Honestly, the chances are none. Halo 5 will have AA's or something similar to it.

heckfu

Banned
2 xboxes - $500
halo 1,2,3,odst,wars,reach,4,cea - $60 * 8 = $480
5+ years XBL = 5*$50 = $250
halo 3 DLC = $45
halo reach DLC = $45
controllers, batteries, crappy headsets my cat chewed up = $100
turtle beach PX5 wireless surround sound headset = $250

$1,670

Stop telling me to be a nice guy to game developers funded by microsoft.
Reading a Booties post: Priceless

GhaleonEB

Skyrim.

Spec Ops, Need For Speed, or Hitman tonight?
Turns out the answer was, work. Left after 9:00, got home just now. Not as fun as I was hoping.

I depressed myself on the way home: of the first 72 hours this week, I've been at or driving to or from work for 45 of them.

Dat expansion. I need to finish the first one still...

I'm going to do it in reverse, and snag Dawnguard as an appetizer after Dragonborn hits. Dawnguard came out at a time when I was taking a break from Skyrim, but boy am I sucked back into it now.

Thermite

My problems with the game doesn't stem from games being competitive, I love competitive games.

I think 343 nailed the core gunplay. IMO, it feels like Halo. The way the movement is, is probably the best in the entire series, as well. It's just everything else I don't particularly care for (instant respawning, map control not having a big impact, ordinance, "random" power weapons not being varied at all - I don't think I've ever seen anything other than needler/scattershot on Haven, BTB/Dominion being absolute garbage, no weapons at all on any of the maps, perks needed to pick up nades, camo still as an armor ability, flinch, etc..)

Edit: I don't hate the game (it's not a Reach 2.0 for me), but it's not going to be a case where I play it every day for hours at a time like I did with Halo 3. It's just a game I'll go to casually when friends are on and they want to play.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Cross-posting for anyone who's interested in Destiny.

Bungie's "star map" is actually based on this old map of Puerto Princesa, Philippines.

It's currently speculated that this is the location of the last city on Earth.

Ramirez

My problems with the game doesn't stem from games being competitive, I love competitive games.

I think 343 nailed the core gunplay. IMO, it feels like Halo. The way the movement is, is probably the best in the entire series, as well. It's just everything else I don't particularly care for (instant respawning, map control not having a big impact, ordinance, "random" power weapons not being varied at all - I don't think I've ever seen anything other than needler/scattershot on Haven, BTB/Dominion being absolute garbage, no weapons at all on any of the maps, perks needed to pick up nades, camo still as an armor ability, flinch, etc..)

Edit: I don't hate the game (it's not a Reach 2.0 for me), but it's not going to be a case where I play it every day for hours at a time like I did with Halo 3. It's just a game I'll go to casually when friends are on and they want to play.

Oh, I get that. I agree completely really, though I'll probably play it more than you do. :p

blamite

Figured I'd post my idea for the boltshot fix in this thread as well:

Here's how I'd fix the boltshot: give it variable levels of charge, rather than either single bullet or full shotgun blast. Depending on how long you charged it for, it's use more bullets and do more damage. The one-shot kill we have now would use a full clip, and need to be charged for .2 seconds longer than it does now. Also fix the reload glitch.

I'm soooo close to hating this game. It's not as frustrating as Reach, but there are so many things that happen that I just can't take seriously. I've been slowly letting my K/D drop over the weeks and I just don't care. What does it matter when I can get killed by a dude running around with constant active camo and an Incineration Cannon that just happened to spawn near him?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cross-posting for anyone who's interested in Destiny.

Bungie's "star map" is actually based on this old map of Puerto Princesa, Philippines.

It's currently speculated that this is the location of the last city on Earth.

Isn't this old? Pretty sure Duncan has had all this stuff on MisriahSolutions.com for a long ass time now

TheOddOne

Do you know what we do at specific intervals, as well as after, *every* project/mission/test at the place where I work? We sit the hell down, talk about what is going right on our end (in this analogy, equate to development, art production, audio production), what is going wrong (scheduling issues, bugs, restraints) and how to increase the former and get rid of the latter. At the same time, we communicate with the damn customer! We make a big deal to figure out what they think is bad and do our best to accomidate. We also give them regular progress updates and let them know (honestly) whether or not we can deliver on something. We don't hype up shit and claim that it will be revolutionary and then pull something out of our asses.
You act like you know they have not done any self-reflecting. Oh no, they have not replied to our complaints! They must not be listening! They must prove to use that they are not sitting on their asses! Last months of crunch, the launch, emerging problems, weekly updates to playlists, map pack production, Title Update work, meetings for the future, current and future projects that can’t be discussed and the lists could go on.

Factor in that after last crunch and launch, most of the production staff has some down time, holidays or other commitments (No matter how you feel about that game, the staff deserves some time off). And discussing and promising stuff that still is being worked on, while things might change dramatically that initially planned, could create more problems for them afterwards. I rather they say nothing, then cook up some promise that in the end will be half cooked and excuses will be made on why it was so crappy (“Budget! Limited resources!”).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Isn't this old? Pretty sure Duncan has had all this stuff on MisriahSolutions.com for a long ass time now

Probably. I'm following along with 4chan and they're slow as shit. They're just now realizing that the Marathon symbol was all over the Halo games.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Eww wtf.

You want Destiny news you stick to GAF and ncsuDuncan. Period.

I've read all of Waiting for Destiny multiple times, it's just fun to watch them talk about how great SonicJohn's quest for secrets in Halo 2 was. Tri-gates. Placeholders. Gondolas. Floating switches. ahhhh

They're totally preoccupied with destiny.com

Which is/was/may have been a dating site.

heckfu

Banned
Someone stream. I'm bored and too tired to play myself.

Also, some of you probably know MoltenSlowa has been getting a pretty good crew together spanning HaloGaf, RT, HBO and other sites for a Spartan Ops podcast. Now I know most of you are on the anti-Spops wagon now but you should check it out!

I had to let go of my position on it as a guest tonight because work and the new house are getting in the way of most things in life I love for a while so he's recruiting new members. Hit him up on twttier @MoltenSlowa if you're interested!

You act like you know they have not done any self-reflecting. Oh no, they have not replied to our complaints! They must not be listening! They must prove to use that they are not sitting on their asses! Last months of crunch, the launch, emerging problems, weekly updates to playlists, map pack production, Title Update work, meetings for the future, current and future projects that can’t be discussed and the lists could go on.

Factor in that after last crunch and launch, most of the production staff has some down time, holidays or other commitments (No matter how you feel about that game, the staff deserves some time off). And discussing and promising stuff that still is being worked on, while things might change dramatically that initially planned, could create more problems for them afterwards. I rather they say nothing, then cook up some promise that in the end will be half cooked and excuses will be made on why it was so crappy (“Budget! Limited resources!”).

My communication-with-the-customer remarks were talking about pre-launch clusterfucks in the information delivery. Incorrect or completely absent marketing, hardlight shield crouching, pre-order bonus confusion, getting info from outside sources before them, etc. Now, I realize that MS's stupid oversight is responsible for some of this confusion and restrictions and I get it, I really do. But to the customer it's still fucked up and they're right to complain.

Don't even get me started on that fucking joke of an excuse on button glitches stopping customizable controls. That just insulted my intelligence pure and simple.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, thanks to everyone for coming out tonight on the stream (all 5 of you, lol). Stream ended on a very good game and this was the final result of tonight's activities (remember, zero bombs were used):

vsufO.png

TheOddOne

My communication-with-the-customer remarks were talking about pre-launch clusterfucks in the information delivery. Incorrect or completely absent marketing, hardlight shield crouching, pre-order bonus confusion, getting info from outside sources before them, etc. Now, I realize that MS's stupid oversight is responsible for some of this confusion and restrictions and I get it, I really do. But to the customer it's still fucked up and they're right to complain.

Don't even get me started on that fucking joke of an excuse on button glitches stopping customizable controls. That just insulted my intelligence pure and simple.
That is why I highlighted that part of your post (and not the part about pre-launch). They way you talk about it pretty much implied that you talked about why 343 is not communicating NOW.

That is why I highlighted that part of your post (and not the part about pre-launch). They way you talk about it pretty much implied that you talked about why 343 is not communicating NOW.

oh. Sorry I guess.

I'm pretty sure the current communication is a bit easier to comprehend.

Top Bottom