• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Omni

I hope there's an AA that lets you see through walls and a perk that lets you shoot through them.

"Don't worry, good players won't need it"

I'm not sure anyone would, quite a predicament they have there.
Honestly? I'd pay for it :s

Getting new missions each week - recycled maps or not - is great fun. I seriously look forward to Monday nights because of it - It's released 9pm here. Admittedly, the CGI cutscene plays a big part of my excitement, but still.

TheOddOne

A Firefight map with map specific challenges would have far more impact than a Spartan Ops mission. Heck, it would be more memorable to players because they have to find and figure out together have to overcome those challenges. See, you have something that is then challenging and you create those “watercooler” moments. Bring back Firefight.

rakka

ive almost finished wet work and don't want to do operator next. I thought if we were online before a set date we'd have access to all specs? how do i go about this?

rakka

hmm ok let's hope so.

I hate so many aspects of this game but it is possible to have fun I guess.

sucks that there's no double XP outside of the US though.

Ramirez

dQQEP.png

The original statement says that casual games cannot be played competitively.

Vanilla SSBM can't be taken seriously on a competitive level. One guy can get a legendary pokemon and win the game. Competitive SSBM, with banned champions and such, can be played both competitively and for fun. They're basically two different games due to the rules being completely different, except the latter can be enjoyed by more audiences.

Grifball is actually competitive by its very nature. There are very few random elements. The only problem with Grifball is the fact that your grav hammer has a lot to do with your connection, but nothing much can be done about that. Some folks may look at Grifball and say "Yea, that n00b game," but it is undoubtedly a competitive game.

But I will say that you bring up an interesting point. Some subjectivity does come into play on how we define casual and competitive.

I think what you're doing here is treating Competitive games as a subset of Casual games, i.e. if a game can be played competitively, then it is a competitive game. By that definition it is impossible to have a game that is competitive and not casual. Visually,

NkjW.png

I personally believe this definition to be not so much incorrect, as misleading. I think that games are either designed with competitive play in mind, social play in mind, or competitive-social play in mind. Visually,

NkkE.png

Grifball was originally an extremely social game, and it's developed a community, and it has become competitive as well.
Most Nintendo games are designed socially, and some have become quite competitive too.

Omni

Uh wow.

Some people need to realise that it's just a game and chiiiill.

While I'd usually agree, I can understand the frustration that comes with playing a game with a lot of crap in it. Sometimes people need to vent. Breaking the disc seems a little much, but in the end it's his choice.

Can't believe the 3 new maps are 3 btb with 8 mantis on each.

Yeah, so weird. Did you see the video of the player flying the Pelican into the Mantis?

Thanks for the games unknown. I had a good time, despite being very streaky and inconsistent. I'm so used to playing solo with randoms that when i get into a full group i almost don't know how to play.

lol Nice man. Glad to have you part of some fun games, especially with those come backs! And no worries, you crushed when the time was right :]

lulz i went operator specifically for the visor :D

Am I the only Wheelman on these forums?? ;[

CyReN

lol for real? I am trusting you CyReN. (btw great work with the THC videos. I love watching them)

nah, was hoping for the 3am embargo though oh well. Glad you like the videos, u4ix and Clicked have done a great job for tutorials so far. Got our Top 5 coming out tomorrow too:)

----
Also check out the new Hitman guys, best stealth game I've played since Chaos Theory.

Pretty brutal for a 9.8 lol

IGN said:
Halo 4 comes on a cloud of critical admiration and marketing sorcery, but it's not a challenging and unprecedented experience that will give players something unobtainable elsewhere in the market. It is an 11 year-old game design that has been rearranged, marginally rebalanced, and subdivided into pieces that can be pitched as new and sold for cheap, though the aggregate price always surpasses the price of an original, self-contained work.

(It's from the IGN article that isn't too impressed with the TV model of delivering Spartan Ops.)

nah, was hoping for the 3am embargo though oh well. Glad you like the videos, u4ix and Clicked have done a great job for tutorials so far. Got our Top 5 coming out tomorrow too:)

----
Also check out the new Hitman guys, best stealth game I've played since Chaos Theory.
Way to go. Scared the piss out of me. Thought you were for real with the 3 btb maps, lol.
lol Nice man. Glad to have you part of some fun games, especially with those come backs! And no worries, you crushed when the time was right :]

Am I the only Wheelman on these forums?? ;[
I'm terribad at vehicles. I need to get to 57 and i may try Wheelman.

Oh DeputyMoonmang this is what your Spartan card looked like lol

And seeing Slaker's name up top reminded me to tell him that I got my ONI patch! I have no idea how long it's been in my house, but mom dukes thought it was some cult shit so she tossed it to the side with the junk mail lmfao... Then it somehow ended on top of my microwave and when found I was like "LOL how long has this been here?!"

lxAEYl.jpg

Thanks again breh

Duji

I think what you're doing here is treating Competitive games as a subset of Casual games, i.e. if a game can be played competitively, then it is a competitive game. By that definition it is impossible to have a game that is competitive and not casual. Visually,

NkjW.png

I personally believe this definition to be not so much incorrect, as misleading. I think that games are either designed with competitive play in mind, social play in mind, or competitive-social play in mind. Visually,

NkkE.png

Grifball was originally an extremely social game, and it's developed a community, and it has become competitive as well.
Most Nintendo games are designed socially, and some have become quite competitive too.

Yep, for the most part. The problem I have with the second diagram is that there are pretty much no competitive games that can't be enjoyed on a casual level (blue region). Yes, there is subjectivity involved, but come on now. Is there anyone who doesn't want to play a competitive game simply because it is too competitive? When I don't want to play a competitive game, such as LoL, it is because the game is not my cup of tea.

Some people would say Shadowrun is a competitive game that failed to appeal to a casual audience. But it is very unfair to use Shadowrun as an example because it had absolutely no marketing and absolutely no single-player mode. It has nothing to do with casuals looking at the game and saying "I don't want to play that game. It looks too competitive."

The idea of a game that can be enjoyed on a competitive level but not on a casual level just doesn't make sense. Games like SC2, TF2, and Street Fighter are adored by casuals and competitive players alike, while games like Halo 4 and CoD are mostly enjoyed by casuals.

And also what matters is the nature of the game, not as much how the devs designed it. CE multiplayer wasn't necessarily designed to be ultra competitive, it just so happened to turn out that way.

edit:
Here's my problem with diagram 2:

vidyagamesexplained.png

Duji

Can you please put CoD in Both circle. It has a ranking system.

Halo 4 can STAY. Good boooyyyyyy

A ranking system isn't enough to make a game competitively viable. CoD has gratuitous amounts of aim assist, random spraying weapons, kill-streaks, and not to mention instant respawns. CoD does have a competitive scene but it is extremely small (just look @ past MLG events). Also, there are ~1500 players in CoD's ranked playlists. This just furthers my point that no one wants to play a casual game competitively. People do, however, want to play competitive games casually.

But... if you were joking... then yep lol.

Wait, Halo 4 casual, and TF2 casual-competitive? wat.

Is TF2 not a game enjoyed by casual and competitive players alike? Also you have yet to tell me a game that fulfills the requirements of the blue region.

Ken

Yep, for the most part. The problem I have with the second diagram is that there are pretty much no competitive games that can't be enjoyed on a casual level (blue region). Yes, there is subjectivity involved, but come on now. Is there anyone who doesn't want to play a competitive game simply because it is too competitive? When I don't want to play a competitive game, such as LoL, it is because the game is not my cup of tea.

Some people would say Shadowrun is a competitive game that failed to appeal to a casual audience. But it is very unfair to use Shadowrun as an example because it had absolutely no marketing and absolutely no single-player mode. It has nothing to do with casuals looking at the game and saying "I don't want to play that game. It looks too competitive."

The idea of a game that can be enjoyed on a competitive level but not on a casual level just doesn't make sense. Games like SC2, TF2, and Street Fighter are adored by casuals and competitive players alike, while games like Halo 4 and CoD are mostly enjoyed by casuals.

And also what matters is the nature of the game, not as much how the devs designed it. CE multiplayer wasn't necessarily designed to be ultra competitive, it just so happened to turn out that way.

edit:
Here's my problem with diagram 2:

I think Guilty Gear can go in your competitive circle because I don't think any casual will touch it.

Top Bottom