• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

In regard to Ghaleon's post; I agree with a lot of it, but I don't necessarily think the "flow" of the gameplay itself is much worse, I think it's just different. I think the weapon balance (and aa balance) and global ordnance are the main problems. Personal ordnance doesn't bother me that much, although many of the power weapons need a nerf. There also just aren't enough good small/mid sized maps to compensate for all the open donging going on.

Power weapons that need a nerf:
-needler
-incinerator cannon
-SAW
-shotgun (remember how you had to be point blank with the shotgun in previous Halos? Now its like 10-15 feet)
-sticky detonator (this thing has both twice the range and killing power of a grenade, and of course you can choose exactly when it explodes)

-and yea, boltshot's range is about equal with the shotguns, although less consistent. That thing should be literally point blank.
-DMR needs to shoot slower or take an extra shot.

If that stuff is fixed, the gun fights should feel a lot more fair; power weapons either should be less available or should not be an automatic kill. They should fill a particular niche that has definite advantage over primary loadout weapons, but you should still get killed if you don't use the weapon correctly.

Global ordnance is pretty dumb, but if weapon drops were more like previous Halos mixed with personal ordnance, I think that aspect of the game could actually be better than previous Halos. My main gripe is probably the maps now that I think about it; I really only enjoy Haven and Adrift, and I don't enjoy BTB due to even less balance. It's really not hard to design a map with a more arena feel that only Haven comes close to having. Hopefully there is a community playlist soon; Reach/Halo 3 had player created user maps that actually utilized Halo gameplay. Both Halo 4 and Reach's maps feel so damn disconnected in this sense; maybe it's the armor abilities, maybe it's something else.

For now, I'm laying low on the multiplayer side of things.

ElRenoRaven

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I love the music. It has a grand and full feeling to it, but with a hint of discovery and the unknown. I'd agree that they don't use it enough though. I do miss Marty though, he's a legend. *Goes and listens to Halo ODST soundtrack*

Oh I'm not saying it's bad. The music is good music. It to me just sounds like it could have been ripped right out of the most recent sci fi movies though. Marty's music captured the feeling of the games. When I hear any of his music I can tell you the game it's from and half the time even what level I heard it on. I also end up finding myself humming it (Badly mind you). With Halo 4's music I couldn't tell you what level or mission it was used for. I don't find myself humming them at all either.

Pretty brutal for a 9.8 lol
(It's from the IGN article that isn't too impressed with the TV model of delivering Spartan Ops.)
I think Spartan Ops would have (and can be) better served by ditching the weekly scenario and making longer, more finely crafted combat scenarios doled out over a longer period of time. Imagine if ODST was split up into segments, with each mission being a campaign that offered scoring, skulls, and theater. Not just that though; you could also offer each mission as a Firefight segment with all the bells and whistles of gametype customization.

A dev team would obviously have to space these out over a longer period of time, but in my opinion it would be incredibly worth the effort. You could even bookend the missions in a similar fashion to ODST, with a hub area that you could fuck around in while you're waiting for the next batch of content to roll out.

Maybe this is what Spartan Ops was initially going for, and realized that it would be impossible to do in the timeframe they were given. Still, I would wait with baited breath and a handful of bills if something with that much quality and quantity could come to fruition.

I thought it was pretty memorable.

But let's be honest, I can't fathom anything (in future Halo games) ever beating this.
why is that picture so weirdly cropped?

Arnie

In regard to Ghaleon's post; I agree with a lot of it, but I don't necessarily think the "flow" of the gameplay itself is much worse, I think it's just different.

Whilst this is a completely fair comment, and I'm not disputing it, I think Ghaleon is judging it to be worse because it's different, as game flow is so crucial to establishing how Halo feels. If Halo fans think a Halo game doesn't flow like the franchise has in the past, then it's my personal opinion that they're entitled to say it's worse.

Davidge's stuff to me is interesting but generic on its own, but it's badly treated in the games--music cross fades like a bad fan edit out of cutscenes, etc. I'm guessing that's a result of not having an in-house composer, but at times it was really jarring for me. Otherwise the music is mostly treated like sonic wallpaper.
The mix is really uneven. The music can go from quiet/muffled to loud and boisterous from one end cutscene to the the next level's opening cutscene.

ElRenoRaven

I think Spartan Ops would have (and can be) better served by ditching the weekly scenario and making longer, more finely crafted combat scenarios doled out over a longer period of time. Imagine if ODST was split up into segments, with each mission being a campaign that offered scoring, skulls, and theater. Not just that though; you could also offer each mission as a Firefight segment with all the bells and whistles of gametype customization.

A dev team would obviously have to space these out over a longer period of time, but in my opinion it would be incredibly worth the effort. You could even bookend the missions in a similar fashion to ODST, with a hub area that you could fuck around in while you're waiting for the next batch of content to roll out.

Maybe this is what Spartan Ops was initially going for, and realized that it would be impossible to do in the timeframe they were given. Still, I would wait with baited breath and a handful of bills if something with that much quality and quantity could come to fruition.

why is that picture so weirdly cropped?

Exactly. If they're going for a campaign like feel then just do a damn campaign. Do one mission a week or even monthly and make it a real campaign. Would that cost more? Probably so but it would be worth it and really would be something I'd pay for assuming it was better then Halo 4's campaign was. By that I mean not just go here and push this button.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've definitely listened to H4's soundtrack more than I have with the other game's soundtrack. I don't know why, I just am. I would agree that in game it's mostly just there but there are a few moments where it all comes together and the music most definitely adds to the experience. That moment in the beginning of Requiem when you go towards the white light is certainly one of them for me.

m23

Also check out the new Hitman guys, best stealth game I've played since Chaos Theory.

No....way. I will have to pick it up I guess. Sad to see Splinter Cell fall from what was such an amazing series. The most recent one can't even be called Splinter Cell and the one that is yet to be released seems to be going in a similar direction. I guess Hitman will have to satisfy my Stealth gaming needs.

For Halo.......I miss my grenade launcher :(

Tawpgun

Oh I'm not saying it's bad. The music is good music. It to me just sounds like it could have been ripped right out of the most recent sci fi movies though. Marty's music captured the feeling of the games. When I hear any of his music I can tell you the game it's from and half the time even what level I heard it on. I also end up finding myself humming it (Badly mind you). With Halo 4's music I couldn't tell you what level or mission it was used for. I don't find myself humming them at all either.

Agree with this as well. Marty's music was tied to moments. Only time this happened for me in Halo 4 was at the end of Requiem and the last level.

ElRenoRaven

I've definitely listened to H4's soundtrack more than I have with the other game's soundtrack. I don't know why, I just am. I would agree that in game it's mostly just there but there are a few moments where it all comes together and the music most definitely adds to the experience. That moment in the beginning of Requiem when you go towards the white light is certainly one of them for me.

Wait there was music playing during that? See prime example. I don't even remember that. I remember the light and going to it but I for the life of me can't even remember that it had music or what track it was. I just played that level last night again too. I'm trying to force myself though the campaign again and trying to give it a fair shake. I will say I do like the campaign more until the Prometheans show up. The Covenant even though the AI is shit now is still fun to fight. The Promeatheans though aren't fun at all.

m23

That was definitely a great moment, another one for me which I think is on the same level is when you enter one of the forerunner buildings and "Haven" comes on. I love that track.

FyreWulff

Exactly. If they're going for a campaign like feel then just do a damn campaign. Do one mission a week or even monthly and make it a real campaign. Would that cost more? Probably so but it would be worth it and really would be something I'd pay for assuming it was better then Halo 4's campaign was. By that I mean not just go here and push this button.

I wish the content was more reactionary. If I may take a moment:

In Halo 3, Bungie's content and response was reactionary to what the userbase was doing. Forge exploded; we got Sandbox as a map that reacted to Forge mode exploding. People made a gametype called Grifball and it eventually got it's own playlist. Someone made a SkiBall gametype in Reach and Bungie reacted by scripting up a Megalo version that was completely automatic while using the original creator's map. 343 has nerfed the game variants so much that it's going to be very difficult to make something emergent. At minimum, we need an Infection gametype that actually lets people change the options, and we need the Haloball gametype so we can make things happen automatically.

Versus Halo 4.. it won't react to anything, and if it does, it won't turn on a dime. They said themselves that the playlists were being created pre-launch. For the first time in Halo history, we know all of the map packs, the map names, and what the maps are and roughly look like. They're pretty well set in cement already, and the game's base hasn't even had time for people to fully grasp it.

Spartan Ops could have benefitted from reacting to the feedback, but no, it was all done before ship and is being doled out on a weekly basis to stretch out the content. If it had been normal Firefight, we could have seen reactionary changes to it in however many updates they've had to Halo 4 now. What if something takes off? What if the userbase does something? Too bad, the DLC was already planned out. It feels all nice and safe for the balance sheets. Spartan Ops is already set, so it doesn't matter how much we whine and critcize it, it's already fairly set in what's going to happen, the marketing is already set, the embargos inked and signed.

You'll have to either love it or leave it.

Instead of listening to infinity lobby music and then the weird ambient noise that comes on when you are in MM screen.

I've decided to always override it with the Halo 2 soundtrack...such majestic music.

Currently as I'm setting up my emblem, I'm listening to high charity suite 1.

Also, apart from the sound mixing, Neil did great work in relation to campaign.

ElRenoRaven

In Halo 3, Bungie's content and response was reactionary to what the userbase was doing. Forge exploded; we got Sandbox as a map that reacted to Forge mode exploding. People made a gametype called Grifball and it eventually got it's own playlist. Someone made a SkiBall gametype in Reach and Bungie reacted by scripting up a Megalo version that was completely automatic while using the original creator's map. 343 has nerfed the game variants so much that it's going to be very difficult to make something emergent. At minimum, we need an Infection gametype that actually lets people change the options, and we need the Haloball gametype so we can make things happen automatically.

Versus Halo 4.. it won't react to anything, and if it does, it won't turn on a dime. They said themselves that the playlists were being created pre-launch. For the first time in Halo history, we know all of the map packs, the map names, and what the maps are and roughly look like. They're pretty well set in cement already, and the game's base hasn't even had time for people to fully grasp it.

Spartan Ops could have benefitted from reacting to the feedback, but no, it was all done before ship and is being doled out on a weekly basis to stretch out the content. If it had been normal Firefight, we could have seen reactionary changes to it in however many updates they've had to Halo 4 now. What if something takes off? What if the userbase does something? Too bad, the DLC was already planned out. It feels all nice and safe for the balance sheets. Spartan Ops is already set, so it doesn't matter how much we whine and critcize it, it's already fairly set in what's going to happen, the marketing is already set, the embargos inked and signed.

Let's be honest here. If it was regular firefight it wouldn't get any love. Hell Reach both Bungie and 343 just hung Firefight out to dry with almost no love. They added a couple of modes people liked then stripped those out or severly reduced their frequency of appearance. Hell one mode that was touted wasn't even used. I played some custom VS Firefight and actually enjoyed the hell out of that.

I was going to do a longer post on this another time, but I'm starting to conclude I'll never get around to it, thanks to my ongoing work load. So here goes - a very messy version of my over-arching problem with Halo 4's multiplayer combat.

There's just not a good flow to the game any longer. What began in Halo 3 with bubble shields interrupting combat on occasion and grav lifts allowing specific high walls to be vaulted has expanded to encompass every encounter and every surface of a map. Long open spaces are cut off in volleys of DMR and light rifle fire. Walls and spans are cleared with jet packs. Choke points that would once have held critical ordnance to be battled over, turning the tide of games, are left barren as ordnance rains down who knows where. Not only do these things demolish the way maps used to flow, but they've wreaked the way combat now plays out.

(On that note: respawn times should be tied to shield recharge times. This is one of those fundamental things about Halo, combat is built on a rhythm: encounter, survival, recharge, advance. This is why instant respawn is diametrically opposed to Halo's combat design, and it's baffling to me that this was not realized.)

Frankie and others have likened Halo often to a sport in the past. And the game often played out that way in prior games. But this is like a sport where everyone brings their own ball, uniform and score keeping onto the field, and the referees have been bound and gagged.

The sandbox often feels less like a specific set of toys were handed out to create a specific flavor of combat and chaos, and more like a big toy bin was dumped into the map, and everyone is throwing stuff at each other. There needs to be a steadier hand a the wheel than this. (On one of the last games I played, a week and a half ago, I saw a Ghost on Meltdown get tagged by four plasma pistol EMPs at the same time, and then have ~6 plasma grenades rain on it. I mean, seriously.)

Get dropped into the the losing side of an objective game in the middle? Pile up a few +10's and DMR someone from across the map a time or two. (Press X to respawn.) Admire the XP, unlock the skin, hop into another game hope you are near a Binary Rifle when it lands.

The rhythms and flow of the maps, the rhythms of combat, the ebbs and flows of a game from beginning to end, the cyclical struggles for critical ordnance...there's no flow any longer. Games don't feel like they have a beginning, a middle and an end - they just stop.

It all adds up to an experience that feels like it was meant to be disposable, and forgettable, on a moment to moment basis. Lose an encounter because you had Mobility but he had Stability? Look at all the +10's you got anyways. You might unlock something! Hit X to respawn.

It's like Halo 4 multiplayer has become all Arcadefight, all the time. When what I fell in love with was Limited. (Incidentally, this is exactly what happened to Firefight along the way, including the transition to Spartan Ops. It's now consequence-free combat.)

I want the intent behind a map design shine again, not thwarted with jetpacks. Designing a map to flow one way and giving people the option to bypass it isn't freedom, it's self-defeating. 343 should have learned this with Reach.

I want there to be a pacing to a game from end to end again, as teams can plan and rally and coordinate as they fight for critical point on map control, for a critical piece of ordnance - and turn the tide with it. Those were moments of victory, moments where games could turn around. And they're forfeited for random ordnance handed out at random. So many mini-objectives - secure this choke point, obtain that ordnance, stop that vehicle - just fall by the wayside. It's all about flocking to the HUD waypoints.

I want vehicles to not be deathtraps again. Their purpose must be more defined than a short term EMP magnet; they used to feel like chess pieces to move around the board, not monster trucks we hope to get a kill or two with before it blows up.

I wish balance were defined as a cohesive set of tools that we can choose from. Not from choosing which aspect of combat we'll break, and call it balanced by the fact that other players might have broken a different part of it.

I want the game to have some kind of flow again. Because encounters and entire games feel like they were meant to be disposable, not memorable. The end result is I'm just not invested in any aspect of the game: the moment to moment shoot outs, the give and take of the game as it plays out, or the end result. None of it matters. (+10 ,Press X to Respawn) It's for this reason that the game just hasn't stuck with me; the game has a huge investment system of stuff to unlock, but I'm no longer invested in the actual game.

These things can be accomplished within the baseline of what Halo 4 offers. But it will require 343 to pull things in from where they are now, in all aspects of the game.

This is rambling, but it's 1:00 in the morning and my job won't let me write anything during the day lately. So there it is.

This is good, I think it encompasses many of my frustrations with the game, but I find that when I want that experience of flow, and chokepoints, and balance, I go out and I play dominion. Here's why,

1. No instant respawns, and respawns seem better weighted to bases, giving back that push/relax feeling
2. Mixture of confined and open spaces mean the DMR isn't the only gun you'll ever need anymore.
3. Map design and shieldings prevent some of the kind of jetpack abuse we see, close confines means you can spot camo users better (still a bullshit AA though)
4. Timed respawns of weapons mean I can go fight for them, and steal them, and scout what my enemy has.
5. Mixture of vehicles and on foot troops mix up peoples use of secondaries.

It's not perfect, there's too many power weapons after a few resupplys (inceneration cannon on meltdown :| ), and PV can make it a pain, but it gives me a lot of that old halo feeling, while not stripping away some of the bells and wistles.

I'd love if they'd do a no radar, DMR, AR, BR, limited ordinance (put secondaries in ordinance, all power weapons have 1/2 to 1/4 of original ammo, etc), but I still have a lot of fun with it. Staging a great assault on a base is thrilling, and losing a base for a few seconds costing you the game is heartbreaking in the right way.

CTF and oddball fix many of my issues with the game also, but to a lesser extent.

I spose I'm in the minority here, but I found the prometheans fun to fight.

Aside from wonky hitboxes, they're pretty fun.

I also found them fun to fight on legendary.

Personally, I thought you got the best out them on the highest difficulty.

But there no doubt needs to be more variety or Ply's idea, covenant with different attributes (Elites with jackal shield etc).

ElRenoRaven

I dunno. I'd say it's 50/50. I've seen plenty who do love them and just as many that hate them. I say to each their own. Nothing wrong with you liking fighting them.

Fuchsdh

I don't think the last five episodes are set in stone yet since they have to be downloaded, although I doubt they can make too many tweaks. Ellis' call for feedback makes me think they were actively trying to listen to it and make changes.

Tawpgun

Aside from the one hit kill weapons, I'd totally agree.

They just needed to be more distinct. The knights meaning. I never knew which one had a binary until I got shot or I saw the red circle.

Couldn't tell the difference between Suppresor and Light Rifle Knights until they shot.

Scattershot knights were easy to tell apart.

and the Incinerator knights had a tell, but it was sometimes too subtle to make out in the heat of combat (they give off this orange smoke)

If they return in Halo 5 we need more classes of them. Not just what weapon they hold, they need other abilities and characteristics. I think Crawlers shouldn't have Binaries. Watchers need to do more.

They also need forerunner vehicles. The floating materials mechanic of forerunner tech is perfect for this.

And another class or 2 of Prometheans.

JB1981

You guys literally complain about every aspect of the game. Camping is a big issue now? I have not encountered camping to any signficant degree, but I don't play BTB. I stick to Team Slayer and KOTH.

You guys literally complain about every aspect of the game. Camping is a big issue now? I have not encountered camping to any signficant degree, but I don't play BTB. I stick to Team Slayer and KOTH.

dude I've played this game for like 60 hours and haven't encountered the vast majority of shit people complain about in this game, like camo overuse, boltshot, camping, jetpacks being an issue somehow? etc etc etc

It's really a shame that the valid complaints are lost in the sea of whining. I don't blame 343 whatsoever for never posting here anymore.

ElRenoRaven

They just needed to be more distinct. The knights meaning. I never knew which one had a binary until I got shot or I saw the red circle.

Couldn't tell the difference between Suppresor and Light Rifle Knights until they shot.

Scattershot knights were easy to tell apart.

and the Incinerator knights had a tell, but it was sometimes too subtle to make out in the heat of combat (they give off this orange smoke)

I was actually ok with the Knights for the most part. I agree with they needed an easier way to tell who was holding what. My big issue is with the crawlers and watchers. The watchers as most have said are pixel tests. They'll shit out crawlers like Octomom shits out babies. Then you nail them a couple times and they fold up and start flying away. Often times behind cover. Then you think you have them and bam there is one hiding somewhere far off shitting out crawlers to swarm you. That can make it a pain in the ass to get to them when you have a ton of crawlers all over you. And unlike the covenant cover don't mean jack shit cause the crawlers just swarm swarm swarm. All this while they all seem to have some incredible aim even over great distances.

Then the knights while better on higher difficulties just seem to teleport back and forth a lot instead of actually engaging you. They don't do really anything till you get right up on them and then they just rush you like the crawlers do. That's my only real complaint about the knights. That's my big issue with fighting the prometheans in the campaign.

J10

Banned
Binary Rifle Knights have halos in front of their faces. Not sure about the other ones, but I assumed the feathery plumes on some of them indicated something.

JB1981

dude I've played this game for like 60 hours and haven't encountered the vast majority of shit people complain about in this game, like camo overuse, boltshot, camping, jetpacks being an issue somehow? etc etc etc

It's really a shame that the valid complaints are lost in the sea of whining. I don't blame 343 whatsoever for never posting here anymore.

Yea it's getting a little crazy.

ElRenoRaven

Binary Rifle Knights have halos in front of their faces. Not sure about the other ones, but I assumed the feathery plumes on some of them indicated something.

See though that's another problem. How are you supposed to know what they mean? With the covenant you can damn well tell what kind of Elite you're fighting by their armor. You know the more ornate it gets the tougher and harder hitting weaponery that Elite is going to be packing for example.

J10

Banned
See though that's another problem. How are you supposed to know what they mean? With the covenant you can damn well tell what kind of Elite you're fighting by their armor. You know the more ornate it gets the tougher that Elite is going to be.

Not just the armor - the weapons themselves were more distinct when in enemy hands. It doesn't help that the Promethean weapons were mere extensions of their arms and thus blended with their bodies, but with Elites, Swords, Plasma Rifles and Carbines all look very different from any distance.

They are fun to fight in solo legendary, in coop in other part....

A dominion-flood hybrid could be interesting. Humans fortify bases to defend themselves from the flood. Obviously strip the 'resupply', etc, but it could prove interesting.

One word: Grifball.

Remove the Random ordinance with supply standard weapons each base you lose and we have a deal.

The visuals were amazing. I stared at those structures for a while until Cortana told me to hurry the fuck up.

But the music during that scene was lacking.

Sadly, I dont have a memorable scene in the entire campaign all it was "hurry, hurry, Im becoming rampageeeeeee!!!!, Im dying chiiiiieeefffff", Requiem was a little break before the storm.

Karl2177

smh

So are you saying these issues don't exist or aren't valid?

ElRenoRaven

Not just the armor - the weapons themselves were more distinct when in enemy hands. It doesn't help that the Promethean weapons were mere extensions of their arms and thus blended with their bodies, but with Elites, Swords, Plasma Rifles and Carbines all look very different from any distance.

Exactly. That's the one big area the Promethean knight's design fails. Other then that I'm ok with their designs.

the plumes knights use incinerator canons but knights tends to switch weapons to low weapons like the scattershots at long distances, I just dont know why and why the Binary knights and the dog alpha stay still while shotting.

My favorite Campaign moment was when I hijacked a Wraith on legendary on Reclaimer, got stuck at poisonous waters, then got ran over by the mammoth. It was awesome. The sheer amount of emotions running through me...unforgettable.

Tawpgun

What do you consider whining vs valid complaint. There is a difference with how people phrase their complaints, but they're all complaints.

I don't recognize you from the Reach threads, but we've been raising the issue of the Jetpack for quite some time. Camo was mentioned from time to time as an annoyance, but people have noted that its broken in Halo 4 because the camo effect is stronger and the dots disappear when you don't move. There's also a little disappointment because 343 had the PERFECT opportunity to move Camo back into its rightful place as a power up with the ordnance system, but didn't.

Campings been in every Halo, but its made worse by the camo glitch (calling it a glitch because I hope its not by design) and being able to spawn with a shotgu-i mean boltshot. A headshot capable weapon with an incredibly short charge time to let loose a bolt of one shot kill projecticles at shotgun range.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
smh

So are you saying these issues don't exist or aren't valid?

FWIW, I haven't seen it either. The camping isn't there for me. Quite the opposite. Probably the least camping I've experience in any Halo. Jetpack definitely doesn't seem OP'd. It's pretty much the super-jump people wanted, and I've still seen so many fails w/ it. Camo snipes? Rare even on BTB for me- you'll maybe have one guy, but it's hardly the sort of sniping that I think plagues BF or COD.

J10

Banned
Have they completely retconned the Halo 3 terminals now? Spartan Ops is saying she's buried on Requiem, but the terminals said she chose to die on Earth when the array was activated.

m23

FWIW, I haven't seen it either. The camping isn't there for me. Quite the opposite. Probably the least camping I've experience in any Halo. Jetpack definitely doesn't seem OP'd. It's pretty much the super-jump people wanted, and I've still seen so many fails w/ it. Camo snipes? Rare even on BTB for me- you'll maybe have one guy, but it's hardly the sort of sniping that I think plagues BF or COD.

Camo was just a bad decision, no way around it. We went up against a full team of camos yesterday on Haven....it was bad. Like others have said, really don't know why they didn't have camo as a personal ordnance drop like OS.

Pop

Seems as though HaloGAF blew up in the last couple of pages. I have many flaws with this game just like the rest here and haven't played in about a week. I'm hoping there's a H2 size title update coming that will fix these minor problems that could make H4 great with the addition of skill ranks.

Korosenai

Have they completely retconned the Halo 3 terminals now? Spartan Ops is saying she's buried on Requiem, but the terminals said she chose to die on Earth when the array was activated.
They referred to her as the librarian ai not the actual Librarian. So maybe she did die but put her memories or whatever inside the box and now she's an ai of some sort.

There's an AI that uses her appearance on Requim, not necessary her.

To me it feels like they already retconned the terminals.

Top Bottom