• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Seems as though HaloGAF blew up in the last couple of pages. I have many flaws with this game just like the rest here and haven't played in about a week. I'm hoping there's a H2 size title update coming that will fix these minor problems that could make H4 great with the addition of skill ranks.

The new skill ranks are Waypoint only i believe, the majority of players wont see them so they wont make much difference.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Camo was just a bad decision, no way around it. We went up against a full team of camos yesterday on Haven....it was bad. Like others have said, really don't know why they didn't have camo as a personal ordnance drop like OS.

Still think the topic is overblown. I feel like a lot of people convinced themselves things were problems before the game even came out, then that one time something went wrong, they go "see... I told you" regardless of how frequent is occurs.

All this talk about various AAs being OP'd and I can't really ever decide on one because I don't think they matter all that much.

ElRenoRaven

They referred to her as the librarian ai not the actual Librarian. So maybe she did die but put her memories or whatever inside the box and now she's an ai of some sort.

Yea. She clearly says that she's an AI that is basically what is left of the Librarian. Hence the Librarian could have created it before she died on Earth

m23

Still think the topic is overblown. I feel like a lot of people convinced themselves things were problems before the game even came out, then that one time something went wrong, they go "see... I told you" regardless of how frequent is occurs.

All this talk about various AAs being OP'd and I can't really ever decide on one because I don't think they matter all that much.

I get what you're saying I guess. I'm loving the game, its just every once in a while I get matched up with complete assholes who prefer to play the game in a way to piss others off. 343 could have done a few things to prevent some of those "cheap" tactics.

What do you consider whining vs valid complaint. There is a difference with how people phrase their complaints, but they're all complaints.

I don't recognize you from the Reach threads, but we've been raising the issue of the Jetpack for quite some time. Camo was mentioned from time to time as an annoyance, but people have noted that its broken in Halo 4 because the camo effect is stronger and the dots disappear when you don't move. There's also a little disappointment because 343 had the PERFECT opportunity to move Camo back into its rightful place as a power up with the ordnance system, but didn't.

Campings been in every Halo, but its made worse by the camo glitch (calling it a glitch because I hope its not by design) and being able to spawn with a shotgu-i mean boltshot. A headshot capable weapon with an incredibly short charge time to let loose a bolt of one shot kill projecticles at shotgun range.

I didn't like Reach very much but I was a big part of HaloGaf before and during Halo 3. As I've said before, I've always lobbied for jetpacks in Halo and would be devastated if they were removed in future titles. Complaining about jetpacks is whining. Complaining about instant spawn and lack of red X upon teammate deaths is valid as hell.

Just one example and I know this is all based on opinion but a lot of this shit is coming from people who are new to Halo and want it to be more like CoD. Another problem is people who want it to be like Halo 1 and less modernized as it is. I think Halo 4 is still very much Halo and only a few minor tweaks are need to make it go from a really good game to a great game.

There's an AI that uses her appearance on Requim, not necessary her.

To me it feels like they already retconned the terminals.

It's a little cheap, but most of these retcons can fall back on the "Unreliable Narrator" excuse.

The Halo 3 terminals are just what Mendicant Bias wants you to read, they aren't necessarily the unaltered truth.

The Reach data pads (and their sweeping AI-puppeteer accusations) can be swept under the rug as the paranoid ravings of a lunatic. (I don't think those were ever intended to be high-level canon anyways, pretty sure it was just a side project from Urk and maybe one or two other Bungie guys. Not that Urk is a lunatic or anything...)

TCKaos

Reason #12870 to not give one team and only one team a gauss hog:
P2afC.jpg

^ wow.
It's a little cheap, but most of these retcons can fall back on the "Unreliable Narrator" excuse.

The Halo 3 terminals are just what Mendicant Bias wants you to read, they aren't necessarily the unaltered truth.

The Reach data pads (and their sweeping AI-puppeteer accusations) can be swept under the rug as the paranoid ravings of a lunatic. (I don't think those were ever intended to be high-level canon anyways, pretty sure it was just a side project from Urk and maybe one or two other Bungie guys. Not that Urk is a lunatic or anything...)
Oh please, Urk is certainly a lunatic.

Yeah, I can see that argument and it's ultimately fair, but it does sound like a retroactive aspect, rather than an intended aspect.
I'll fully admit that I hold the Halo 3 terminals closer to my heart than my head.

J10

Banned
What was that bit about AIs created by the composer becoming fragmented though? ChakasSpark seemed fine to me in H1-3. I thought he was just a little loopy from being alone for a hundred millennia.

FyreWulff

Let's be honest here. If it was regular firefight it wouldn't get any love. Hell Reach both Bungie and 343 just hung Firefight out to dry with almost no love. They added a couple of modes people liked then stripped those out or severly reduced their frequency of appearance. Hell one mode that was touted wasn't even used. I played some custom VS Firefight and actually enjoyed the hell out of that.

Firefight Versus was in matchmaking for a bit but Bungie had to hand it off before the playlist was supposed to return.

It went to the Great Hopper in the Sky, same as the new Reach Beta playlist that was supposed to show up earlier this year.

Alright, this is coming from someone who has really enjoyed the game. Up until now.

This shit is already coming to fruition. People don't want to play the "game," they are playing the tools. These games are turning into nothing but exercises in how to abuse game mechanics and not an enjoyable experience. People corner camping with camo, boltshot, using camo with power weapons. Using promethian vision (don't worry it's GREAT!!!!) to stall gameplay. Regen chaining etc. This game is becoming completely "un fun" and I'm really seeing what people are complaining about now.

I already see myself abandoning this game and I even stuck with Reach's bullshit longer than this. I just spent the last two hours getting completely wrecked in infinity slayer by people doing the bullshit I refuse to do and I know I could learn how to "combat" this shit, but that's not the point. I shouldn't have to, the game shouldn't be a "troll's toolbox" but it is.

How the hell are you only noticing this stuff now???

Boltshot/ promethean vision/ camo/ armour abilities in general have been sucking the fun out of the game since day one :(

Gray Man

Banned
How the hell are you only noticing this stuff now???

Boltshot/ promethean vision/ camo/ armour abilities in general have been sucking the fun out of the game since day one :(

I think Promethean Vision and Camo could use a nerf but all the other abilities are very well balanced, Hologram, Thruster, Auto Sentry, etc.

They feel like they compliment the game.

None of these maps look small, and Harvest really reminds me of Complex from the screens. =/

Im fine with these types of maps, but we really need some arena maps first.

Bronion

What was that bit about AIs created by the composer becoming fragmented though? Guilty Spark seemed fine to me in H1-3. I thought he was just a little loopy from being alone for a hundred millennia.

The AI's themselves worked fine. It was only when the Forerunners tried putting the consciousness back into a living body did things go bad.

Crimson map pack info on gameinformer

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/29/halo-4-crimson-map-pack-out-december-10.aspx

Extraction is going to be available in MM on Dec. 10.

"Wreckage: Wreckage is the manifestation of the chaos of war. A medium-sized, asymmetrical map great for accommodating a wide range of objective-based game modes including King of the Hill and Capture the Flag, it is a ravaged environment of crashed debris, where the surrounding destruction creates complex paths perfect for throwing off your opponents, or testing the limits of your Warthog. This devastated landscape provides plenty of cover, and tons of nooks and crannies are at your disposal while fighting for your turn to become King. Wreckage supports up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 players in a variety of other modes, including Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Oddball.

Harvest: Harvest is a canon concept brought to life – the doomed agricultural planet where humans first made contact with the Covenant. A small to mid-size map, Harvest is ideal for Capture the Flag. Here, you’ll need to get creative to effectively use light vehicles which are limited to the exterior pathways and can’t get into the bases, making this map perfect for infantry firefights and face-to-face skirmishes. Snipers will also feel right at home; long sightlines are broken up by great cover and hiding spots. Harvest allows up to 12 players to face off in Capture the Flag, Infinity Slayer, King of the Hill, SWAT and Slayer Pro.

Shatter: Shatter is themed around natural crystalline surfaces and the huge UNSC factories mining them. This large, symmetrical map is a playground for the Warthog and Mantis - its open pathways make it easy to get around, whether on foot or in vehicles. Shatter is a great fit for Dominion and the new game type Extraction. For some close-quarters face-time, escape the open landscape and duck into a mining facility, or slip through a doorway and hunt unsuspecting Spartans. This map has variety for different types of players. Shatter enables multiplayer mayhem for up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 players in other modes, such as Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Dominion and Extraction."

Good point as well. We would go on huge dong streaks in Squad Slayer or Team Objective. Was like Reach GOTY. But once we hit an evenly matched team it was raaaaagggeeee.

Though I will say, close games in Halo 3 felt a lot more fair. Instead of being mad, I'd have my heart beating.

If I lost a close game in halo 3 I would literally be trembling but want a rematch. That's because the gameplay was so good. It was a simpler game with less bullshit that could be used - I could time power ups equipment and power weapons. If I lost it was because I lost to someone who out played me on the map not in the menu.

With halo 4 whether im +30 or neg 30 I don't care - the problems with the game mean competitive play is not viable. I never notice if I win or lose lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
+JiP toggle for 4v4 and 5v5, match shouldn't start unless even
keep it for 6v6+, uneven starts... whatever
+Respawn timer for 4v4 and 5v5
+Respawn zones fixed for CTF
+Loadout weapon ammo on map

If those changes get made, you'll fix 90% of the things that irk me (Reach-like hit feedback isn't going to happen). The rest of the stuff is so inconsequential to the games I've played.

J10

Banned
The AI's themselves worked fine. It was only when the Forerunners tried putting the consciousness back into a living body did things go bad.

I thought it said they were putting them back into bodies because the AIs were fragmented. Then putting them back into bodies made things worse.

TCKaos

"Wreckage: Wreckage is the manifestation of the chaos of war. A medium-sized, asymmetrical map great for accommodating a wide range of objective-based game modes including King of the Hill and Capture the Flag, it is a ravaged environment of crashed debris, where the surrounding destruction creates complex paths perfect for throwing off your opponents, or testing the limits of your Warthog. This devastated landscape provides plenty of cover, and tons of nooks and crannies are at your disposal while fighting for your turn to become King. Wreckage supports up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 players in a variety of other modes, including Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Oddball.

No.

^lol I thought the same thing. Can we please get 1-Flag?

Not sure what I feel about this map pack tbh. They look solid enough, but they seem a bit.. I dunno.

The art on these maps is rather forgettable tbh, although Shatter looks pretty cool. Still, it looks very similar to Vortex. I wish these didn't look so drab.. the concept art looked a lot more interesting IMO. Im sure Ill like these maps, but I really want some maps closer to Haven or even Adrift.

Top Bottom