• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

This thread is largely constructive criticism but its also filled with so much anger/snide comments and put downs that the majority of it is undermined.

A post from every user detailing what they think is wrong with the game in bullet points would be much easier and after that we could get on with our usually day to day HaloGAF. Reiterating the same thing 20 times in different ways with different salty comments thrown in clearly is not helping.

I do expect the majority of issues to be fixed/changed or explained but I'm not hopeful on a time frame for it.
Many here have solid writeups, but they get lost in the shuffle. Maybe its a good idea to link to em in the OP?

Fuchsdh

That's the interesting thing - bigger maps accommodate Halo 4. This game isn't built for smaller maps - or at least it seems. Disappointing, even though I'm a BTB fan.
Given the playlist populations and the DLC, I'm guessing 343i expected that to a degree.

CyReN

A post from every user detailing what they think is wrong with the game in bullet points would be much easier and after that we could get on with our usually day to day HaloGAF. Reiterating the same thing 20 times in different ways with different salty comments thrown in clearly is not helping.

From our site, now of course we are probably missing some but this gives everyone a good picture hopefully.

Before I begin, I'd like to preface this thread by saying that the list of changes listed below are only included because they are absolutely needed because they are issues related to the functionality of the game. I understand competitive players want a Flag drop toggle, Sprint toggle, etc., but these are, at their core, just "wants" and not needs. With that said, these are issues that need changes and fixes as soon as possible:

Game Announcements (Multikills, Sprees, etc.) Are Not Made In Theatre Clips
-When you create a clip from a full film, the announcer no longer is audible.

Lack of Precision Forge Controls
-Reach's Forge controls allowed players to move objects slower and more precisely when holding in the Left Analog Stick. Additionally, players were able to zoom in on objects with the Right Stick to get a better handling of their precision movements. These controls have been removed without explanation.

"X" Waypoint for Dead Teammates No Longer Exists
-Another feature that has been removed without explanation.

Grifball "Ball Arm Time" Is Bugged
-Setting the Arm Time to any other setting than Instant does not actually change the Arm Time.

Lack of Party Indicators In Matchmaking

Party Details Tell Significantly Less Details in Halo 4

Setting Ammo Count for Battery-Based Weapons in Forge Does Nothing
-Changing Ammo Count for batter-based weapons hasn't had an effect every since Forge was introduced in Halo 3. Surprising to see this bug make its way into another game.

Weapons De-spawning Too Quickly If Not An Ordnance Weapon
-Players have noticed that weapons are despawning at a ridiculously quick rate after they have been dropped in comparison to past Halo games. This makes drop-spawning weapons (which creates static weapon spawns) a very inefficient method to spawning weapons.

Games Beginning With No Players On Opposing Team
-Games will somtimes begin with no players on one of the teams. This usually occurs when an entire team backs out after a game or the game after a game has ended because the entire team quit out. This bug is costing players Double XP games.

Alphabetical Order For Active Rosters
-Really confusing when you try to look for specific players through your Active Roster. Essentially forces you to just scroll through the entire Active Roster to find players.

Tactical and Support Packages Earned Through Specializations Are Not Options In Custom Games
-It seems very unneccesarry for these to not be included as options in custom games. It almost seems as if this was an oversight.

Cannot Change Max Player Count of Lobby Once a Player Joins
-Very annoying bug. Requires the leader to leave the party and make a new one to set a new Max Player Count.

Impact and Erosion Dynamic Lighting Bugs
-Both of these forge pallets have bugged or glitched dynamic lighting when about $6000 of the budget is spent. Impact will only cast shadows in proximity of the player, and leaves the rest of the map outside of this "sphere" without shadows, making the map super bright. Erosion loses dynamic lighting entirely and selects what appears to be random tones for the pieces.

Bugged Assassinations
-Players have experienced very buggy assassinations, sometimes allowing their player to navigate out of the assassination animation and kill the player assassinating them.

Setting Respawn Time in Slayer, Infinity Slayer, KotH and Oddball Gametypes Does Not Negate Instant Respawn
-Instant Respawn is always an option to players during a game no matter what the Respawn Duration setting is set to.

Bugged Flag Physics
-The Flag in CTF will sometimes get caught in map geometry and players aren't able to pick up the Flag.

Inability To Set Ammo Amount on Initial or Random Ordnance
-In Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, you were always allowed to set the amount of ammo weapons would spawn with. When spawning weapons through Ordnance, you do not have this option any more. This is especially an issue with Initial Ordnance.

Ordnance UI Displaying Incorrect Weapon
-In some cases, Ordnance UI will display the incorrect weapon. The most common cases are Frag Grenades having a Spartan Laser indicator and Rocket Launchers having Needler indicators.

Feel free to add any bugs or dire fixes needed.

Also did a WHOLE show about it on Social Skirmish.

There's also a HUGE thread about it on HaloWaypoint own forums, which is pretty crazy.

Dirtbag

harvestenv1.jpg

LOL, what a boring looking map. I think this might be one of the most un-inspired looking halo map I can remember since foundry / sandbox

If it's got vehicles it's not a small map, period. We have enough medium to big maps. That's a majority of the maps, why do they think we need more?

Nowhere. I imagine the game type was designed during development, and it was to be one of the ones cycled in to try. They are on a schedule and sticking to it with what the playlist of the week is.

I don't think regicide is a total crappy game type, but it does suck when someone who goes 14 and 16, for k/d, wins in the end.

Team regicide should suck less in that regard. I'd just make it so leader is worth 10, after OS pops up worth 15 tops. Normal kills for players not as king = 5 points.

Exactly. Doesn't it say that Team Regicide has its own unique VO? The gametype was designed way back when they still had voice actors in the studio. Playing iit off like its something new that they want to try is disingenuous.

blamite

Yeah, after watching that trailer again I can confirm I have absolutely zero interest in playing any of those maps. Depending on what playlists they're in I may not even end up downloading the pack.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4346/harvestenv1.jpg[IMG]

LOL, what a boring looking map. I think this might be one of the most un-inspired looking halo map I can remember since foundry / sandbox[/QUOTE]

Lol this really looks like Complex' bigger brother..

TheOddOne

They were criticized for spending too much time on the “look” of maps during the Reach era. I could care less on how it looks, if the layout and flow is terrible then they can toss the map in the trash bin. IMO none of the on disk included maps are lookers, what they do have are some interesting layout and combat flow (Haven, Adrift, Exile and Longbow are all excellent in that regard).

All this effects is the title under your name in the lobby, this is below the bottom of the list of issues to fix.

DON'T DO IIIIIIIIIT.

People were saying the codes for playing before the 20th should be going out tomorrow? Unless you're not in the US, in which case, remind me once the codes go out and I'll give you mine.

Oh tomorrow? Alright I can wait. Somewhere I read the 5th. I have a few days off and I'm playing a lot right now.

Korosenai

You have the massive universe of Halo and lots of interesting places to have maps and this is the best 343 can come up with?

I'm embarrassed for them.
Especially since its based off of Harvest. If it were any other location I wouldnt care. Such a wasted opportunity.

If it's got vehicles it's not a small map, period. We have enough medium to big maps. That's a majority of the maps, why do they think we need more?

Because sprint killed small maps for everything but 2v2, and they're not making maps for 2v2 only.
Imagine 4v4 on Guardian, but with sprint. The horror.

Falt

Hey halogaf, long time no read. I only picked up H4 about a week ago, maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period but I'm having fun. Catching up on the thread I have agree with the general concensus on most of the gripes but still, there is fun to be had, especially with friends.

Probably old but I remember when Halo2sucks.com was a thing and then I'd thought I'd look this up:

www.halo4sucks.com

Was there a halo3sucks.com or A haloreachsucks.com for that matter?

If there is halo, there will be salt.

Havok

They were criticized for spending too much time on the “look” of maps during the Reach era. I could care less on how it looks, if the layout and flow is terrible then they can toss the map in the trash bin. IMO none of the on disk included maps are lookers, what they do have are some interesting layout and combat flow (Haven, Adrift, Exile and Longbow are all excellent in that regard).
Yeah, but at the same time, maps that are entirely drab and don't have any sort of visual distinction make callouts incredibly difficult, can make it difficult for players to orient themselves in a pinch, and just kind of get monotonous. I don't think form has to override function or vice versa, the two should complement each other ideally. We saw the "everything is gray!" complaints with Reach Forge for those reasons (and then we got three more totally drab Forge palettes with 4, but that's a bigger subject). Layouts are one vital thing, making them interesting to look at and functional to play in layers on top and is equally important.

I look at those screenshots and see...brown with all white buildings, brown with some green crystals and white buildings, and finally just brown.

Tawpgun

Good point raised in Halo 4 thread.

BTB Infinity Slayer is the most populated playlist.

Aint no large changes coming to that soon. Inclusion of BTB Objective would help with power weapon bonanaza. Vehicles still deathtraps though. But BTB Objective will have a much lower population. These are the same people who voted for Cragmire.

RIP BTB 2001-2010

TheOddOne

Yeah, but at the same time, maps that are entirely drab and don't have any sort of visual distinction make callouts incredibly difficult, can make it difficult for players to orient themselves in a pinch, and just kind of get monotonous. I don't think form has to override function or vice versa, the two should complement each other ideally. We saw the "everything is gray!" complaints with Reach Forge for those reasons (and then we got three more totally drab Forge palettes with 4, but that's a bigger subject). Layouts are one vital thing, making them interesting to look at and functional to play in layers on top and is equally important.
Good point, that could potentially be a huge problem. Vortex and Meltdown already suffer from this syndrome. I guess time will tell :/

Smeghead

Gonna hold out on buying the maps until I see how the skill ranks turn out.

I remember Epic got a lot of shit for Gears 3 (rightly so) about Sawed off/retro lancer, but compared to Halo 4 they got a lot of things right and answered most of the community's qualms. Shame that game sort of fell off the radar so quick, I'd go back to it if the map packs were half price.

Sai-kun

Banned
I GOT THE MAP CONTROL ON MY SPAWN PATROL
FOOLS THAT WANNA KNOW WHERE MY X IS THOUGH
MAP CRITICS SAYING THERE'S NO MAP FLOW
INSTANT SPAWN STUPID, WHAT KINDA MECHANICS ARE THOSE
IF YOU GREW UP WITH REACH IN YOUR DISC TRAY YO
YOU'D CELEBRATE THE MINUTE THEY LAUNCHED HALO 4
I'M LIKE FUCK COMPLEX, YOU CAN SEE THE WHOLE MAP HOLE
AND IF YOU LIKE TO CAMP, SPAWN WITH ACTIVE CAMO
GOT BEEF WITH BLACK OPS, SO YOU LAUNCH THE WEEK BEFORE
OUR POPULATION JUST DROPPED, BUT THEY BOUGHT THE DISC SO
MS GONNA ABUSE MY DUMB ASS
SO CERTAIN AFFINITY CAN GET MORE CASH FOR MAPS
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU TAKE ME AS
OR UNDERSTAND THE INTELLIGENCE OUR PLAYER BASE HAS
I'M FROM ALL THE WAY BACK TO HALO ONE
I GOT 343 BUGS AND THEY AIN'T FIXED NONE

oh my god i'm in tears

marry me

They all do have distinctive areas for callouts, they aren't just all immediately obvious at first glance which I think its the problem - that and removing the in-game callouts. Another one of those changes I don't understand (like removing the Xs).

One part of Haven has exposed viewports while the other is shuttered, one half of Meltdown is covered in snow, one base in Solace is overgrown, one path in Abandon is lit by purple plant things, while the other is red from flares, and the Adrift hallways have some pretty significant detailing differences.

I also think a lot of the levels look amazing, especially Haven and Vortex. Abandon is cool when you take a look up in the forest, and the shores that surround Solace are beautiful. There are all kinds of small touches and personality if you take some time to explore them.

Can we please just get a BTB Objective playlist with fixed weapon spawns and no personal ordnance?

Hell, just cut back on the power weapons by 75% in dominion, add one more player per team, and I'm happy.
Dominion is such a great idea (territories on steroids), but as it stands, it's a fiesta gametype.
Cant even make two steps without being incinerated with a binary rifle or incendiary cannon.

Cyren, a few pages back, you posted the competitive settings DIESEL made. But I can't really find the exact settings for the gametypes, only which gametype go with which map. Do you know/have a list of the exact settings for all the gametypes?

They all do have distinctive areas for callouts, they aren't just all immediately obvious at first glance which I think its the problem - that and removing the in-game callouts. Another one of those changes I don't understand (like removing the Xs).

One part of Haven has exposed viewports while the other is shuttered, one half of Meltdown is covered in snow, one base in Solace is overgrown, one path in Abandon is lit by purple plant things, while the other is red from flares, and the Adrift hallways have some pretty significant detailing differences.

I also think a lot of the levels look amazing, especially Haven and Vortex. Abandon is cool when you take a look up in the forest, and the shores that surround Solace are beautiful. There are all kinds of small touches and personality if you take some time to explore them.
the problem is that the distinctions aren't nearly specific enough. Abandon has the purple area, but it goes all the way down the length of the map, so saying "He's in the purple area" is very vague. It's basically the same with all of the maps/callouts

Rap battle. Duncan vs. u4iX. NOW!
Fine.

Music

Lyrics: (First verse only)

-------
Yo, JIP? Let's kick it.

Reach, Reach, baby
Reach, Reach, baby

All right stop, join in progress, and listen
Perks are back as a "brand new" invention
Camo makes the campers play meekly
Grinding each challenge, daily and weekly

Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know
Turn off radar and I'm pro
To the extreme I grab a flag with a magnum
Light-up a shield and kill a noob like a random

Spawn, go rush the rifle that blooms
I'm flinching your scope every time that you zoom
Deadly with a triple-burst melody
Anything more than five shots is a felony

Love it or leave it, you'll probably play
You better like Waypoint, it's here to stay
If there was a plot hole, they'll evolve it
Check out the book where the Didact resolves it

Vanilla Reach, Reach, baby

CyReN

Cyren, a few pages back, you posted the competitive settings DIESEL made. But I can't really find the exact settings for the gametypes, only which gametype go with which map. Do you know/have a list of the exact settings for all the gametypes?

They should be there on his fileshare, he hasnt taken them off.

zlatko

Banned
Fine.

Music

-------
Yo, JIP? Let's kick it.

Reach, Reach, baby
Reach, Reach, baby

2yllfzo.gif

the problem is that the distinctions aren't nearly specific enough. Abandon has the purple area, but it goes all the way down the length of the map, so saying "He's in the purple area" is very vague. It's basically the same with all of the maps/callouts
Definitely true. In our group we've taken little short tours through all the maps just to come up with some callouts, but it can still be too vague at times. "purple road" covers a pretty large area, where they could be closer to the cliff, ring, or base. Its still a work in progress for us - we're still trying to come to terms with Solace and Adrift because of their symmetry.

Edit: Seeing all the stages of grief and anger on HaloGAF has been rough, but if that's what was needed to get to the rap battle stage, its been fucking worth it :)

willow ve

Fine.

Music

-------
Yo, JIP? Let's kick it.

Reach, Reach, baby
Reach, Reach, baby

I am extremely proud to be a part of this community. That is all.

Top Bottom