• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Woorloog

Banned
And then he realized that the new and improved Camo doesn't even show the radar jammer when the camo user is crouching.

Yes it does. This guy was crouching in camo, i noticed there was a camo user next to me due to radar and then i spotted him crouching close by, apparently sniping my teammates.

zlatko

Banned
fullbody

So many cool options for Spartans. This is mine currently.

Can't please everyone I guess from what I'm reading. I love the game. It's probably 1-2 updates off from being damn perfect for my tastes, and that'll come with more maps and tweaking DMR to not be so dominant.

About it for me. Love this game.

The bigger problem is they gave everybody 3x scope, matches become a game of pinging people across the map with the DMRs, hiding in rocks and getting in high location to rain DMR death down. The whole pillar of "Shoot/Melee/Grenades" is irrevocably broken. I think I can count my melee kills on that map on one hand.

Yeah the DMR breaks Valhalla. I was playing BTB the other night with someone who didn't like/play Halo 3 but picked up 4, and he said "I don't know how you guys liked this map so much, the DMR's range breaks it"

I was like well, it played perfectly fine in Halo 3 with the BR.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah the DMR breaks Valhalla. I was playing BTB the other night with someone who didn't like/play Halo 3 but picked up 4, and he said "I don't know how you guys liked this map so much, the DMR's range breaks it"

I was like well, it played perfectly fine in Halo 3 with the BR.

Interestingly, people in Halo 4 use the sides far more than in Halo 3, where controlling the hill was essential. Now people control the sides, the hill is avoided. I reckon the DMR's and Lightrifle's 3x scopes have something to do with this.

What do you mean? Slow and methodical? Or what?
I do know i miss something from earlier Halos... yet i enjoy this far more than anything i've played before, i think.

Radar jammer. Look at your radar, grenades and automatics to try to light up Camo guys shields, killcam.
IMO the PromVision should should camo, whereas the holo would then counter the PromVision.

Goddamn, that seems like a ton of work just to counteract a simple load out option.

I know I'm over simplifying it, but I'd just like to know why they felt compelled to completely reinvent the Halo formula. And what was so broken about various elements of Halo, and if that's what they thought, why they jumped at the chance to develop Halo 4?

I think you're being unfair here. If you got to talking to some of the fine folks at 343 you'll realize they're just people who want to work on Halo. With Halo 4 they set out to develop what they think makes for a good Halo game. If you disagree with that, then, well, what are you gonna do? It's their franchise to do with what they want, and it's their game. Saying you could go there and do a better job isn't helpful to anyone.

Trey

The bigger problem is they gave everybody 3x scope, matches become a game of pinging people across the map with the DMRs, hiding in rocks and getting in high location to rain DMR death down. The whole pillar of "Shoot/Melee/Grenades" is irrevocably broken. I think I can count my melee kills on that map on one hand.

That is literally never what big team was. It's always been controlling sight lines, vehicles, and power weapons.

Striker

That's how it's always been. Camp hill, take sides (blue team gets rocked because of how easy it is to camp Pelican), and control the Laser, you're golden. In this case control mid and maintain the Mantis location. Not a fan of it, nor am I a fan of Exile, aka run to the middle caves. Longbow is better than each of those, but only gets favored in Dominion (Heavies), unfortunately.

I'm a DMR pinger but really what else is left to do. I'm more annoyed by people who turtle in various areas and wait for their ordinance power weapon drop and just stay there.

Paradicia

Interestingly, people in Halo 4 use the sides far more than in Halo 3, where controlling the hill was essential. Now people control the sides, the hill is avoided. I reckon the DMR's and Lightrifle's 3x scopes have something to do with this.

I loved the fight for the hilltop on valhalla. As you said everyone takes to the sides more in 4 which imo takes away from what made the map a joy to play in the first place, which was the fight in the middle for the splazer.

The DMR AND Lightrifle campers are a hindrance to the maps flow in 4.

senador

Banned
DMR on Ragnarok is fine. I don't see the problem. You guys wanted no limits precision weapons and you get and are still unhappy?

VV Yeah that. Plenty of routes and options.

People don't flank nearly enough on Valhalla and then wonder why they're doing not so hot. If you're not using that turret side to you're advantage which looks out on either team spawn, that's your fault.

Arnie

I think you're being unfair here. If you got to talking to some of the fine folks at 343 you'll realize they're just people who want to work on Halo. With Halo 4 they set out to develop what they think makes for a good Halo game. If you disagree with that, then, well, what are you gonna do? It's their franchise to do with what they want, and it's their game. Saying you could go there and do a better job isn't helpful to anyone.

Probably, I'm willing to accept that, and I'm willing to accept that a lot of my words this past week have been laced with frustration, mostly because the majority of these criticisms that are turning people off from the game, Halo fans who've been with the series for a long, long time, are criticisms that me and a lot of people pointed out long before the game launched. They are problems that I don't believe a team of passionate Halo fans should ever have allowed, and that's what we're assured 343 are, isn't it, Halo fans? You said it yourself.

But why would Halo fans introduce the range of mechanics that 343 did? I think that's a reasonable question to ask, especially given how massively they change the Halo formula.

senador

Banned
Probably, I'm willing to accept that, and I'm willing to accept that a lot of my words this past week have been laced with frustration, mostly because the majority of these criticisms that are turning people off from the game, Halo fans who've been with the series for a long, long time, are criticisms that me and a lot of people pointed out long before the game launched. They are problems that I don't believe a team of passionate Halo fans should ever have allowed, and that's what we're assured 343 are, isn't it, Halo fans? You said it yourself.

But why would Halo fans introduce the range of mechanics that 343 did? I think that's a reasonable question to ask, especially given how massively they change the Halo formula.

New things. Change. Evolution. It's different on the other side of things. Teamwork and discussions. Lots of factors, not just "how can we please Arnie and friends?" It's much deeper than that.

Halo seems to be different for everyone. I've been playing since CE day one and Halo is different to me than you. 4 is still totally Halo to me. So they can still be super Halo fans while having differing views from you.

It's their first game too. They'll learn from it and we'll see changes via updates and in Halo 5.

Woorloog

Banned
One big problem with Halo 4 BTB is that the Warthog is too weak. I mean the basic, machine gun variant. A lot of power weapons + plasma pistol starts + weak Warthog = not good. It doesn't help the turret lacks range, is slow to turn (slower than Halo Reach anyway) and lacking some damage too. Now i'm not saying it should be the death machine it was in Halo 3 but it sure could use a slight buff. People don't use the Warthog much...
The Rocket and Gauss variants get more use but then their weapons are much stronger; they're power vehicles. They have a good balance beetween lasting power and stopping power, IMO EDIT OTOH, considering the amount of power weapons in this game, all vehicles but the Banshee and Mantis getting some more health would be nice.

Valhalla was stupid with Br starts and stupider with ar starts. The dmr at least makes the map fun. The halo 3 br sucked and the map turned into whoever could control the hog and laser

I'm just saying everyone bitches about not having hitscan working weapons and when they do they bitch about not being able to get anywhere, heres an idea take the side routes don't go out in the middle open area. Never take that stupid fucking middle lift unless its in the begining of the game otherwise I hope you get blained hard and are forced to watch your spartan do a stupid amount of cartwheels until you can respawn, which unfortunately in my case is instantly.

All I know is I'd rather be in a pinging war instead of dealing with a bunch of up close ARDax/Nade/Dubstepmelee BS.

Just be happy we have weapons that work, now we need playlist management that works.

Also whos the clown who bet me and said Borderlands 2 would have button glitches because it allowed customizable control yet there still isn't really an exploitable advantage from a button glitch yet, while Halo 4 doesn't allow custom controls and someone found an exploitable glitch four days in? I'm charging double on that bet!

Karl2177

Alright David and other SpOps designers. Who was it that gave a Binary Rifle to a Knight on Mission 5 of Episode 1? It is actually worse design than Halo 2 Sniper Jackals... Here's why: Enemies that kill the player in one shot are not fun. With weapons such as the Fuel Rod Gun or Rocket Launcher there are at least travel times. With Beam Rifles and Binary Rifles, there are no travel times. It is instant and unquestionable death. Now with Halo 2, you could learn the position of the Jackals and still kill them with a well placed shot. You can't do that to Knights because they have shields. And a Watcher giving them a Hardlight Shield.

I am honestly placing that as the worst encounter of every Halo to date. That even includes Psychic Wraiths in Reach on the rails, Cortana moments while running through Flood infested High Charity, and the Monster Closets of the Library.

Havok

Alright David and other SpOps designers. Who was it that gave a Binary Rifle to a Knight on Mission 5 of Episode 1? It is actually worse design than Halo 2 Sniper Jackals... Here's why: Enemies that kill the player in one shot are not fun. With weapons such as the Fuel Rod Gun or Rocket Launcher there are at least travel times. With Beam Rifles and Binary Rifles, there are no travel times. It is instant and unquestionable death. Now with Halo 2, you could learn the position of the Jackals and still kill them with a well placed shot. You can't do that to Knights because they have shields. And a Watcher giving them a Hardlight Shield.

I am honestly placing that as the worst encounter of every Halo to date. That even includes Psychic Wraiths in Reach on the rails, Cortana moments while running through Flood infested High Charity, and the Monster Closets of the Library.
What confuses me is the inconsistent nature of the enemies' charge times with the Binary Rifle. Crawlers have to go through a lengthy windup to fire it, indicated by the glowing circle around their fat mouths. Once it's charged, they'll fire it regardless of whether they can still see the player or not. They can't hold the charge, so to speak. Knights don't seem to have that difficulty. They almost always teleport in with a fully charged shot, so to speak. They can fire that thing from the hip which, pardon my French, is total fucking bullshit. Give 'em the mandatory charge time and take away the ability to hold the charge. Or just don't have 1HKO weapons for AI, that sounds better.

(that thing is annoying in MP too, so maybe I just think the entire idea is dumb)

Omni

It's their first game too. They'll learn from it and we'll see changes via updates and in Halo 5.
How much longer will this continue to be said? People have been saying the same thing for years. "They'll learn from the mistakes and correct it in the sequel!"

Yeah, right.

Probably? Probably what? Probably that they're a bunch of good people? Probably that this was the game that they wanted to make? Probably that this is their franchise to do with what they want and it's their game?

There are many different Halo fans, and from that many people have different opinions of what can work in a Halo game and what can't. The majority of these changes, to me, says that 343 is trying to keep the Halo experience fresh while at the same time trying to provide that same core experience. I wouldn't want a new version of Halo 2 to be released every three years, and I'd be hard pressed to find new ways of keeping the experience fresh while trying to keep the same core experience. With these changes you lose some fans, like me, who simply disagree with the direction.

As for campaign, the best I can do is write up a large critique and hope that 343 takes some of those criticisms to heart. What's good about my criticisms is that, were 343 to address them, they won't detract – indeed, they should only add – from the enjoyment of people who like what 343 has done with a Halo campaign. If not then I guess I'll just move on. As I said: What are you gonna do?

Probably? Probably what? Probably that they're a bunch of good people? Probably that this was the game that they wanted to make? Probably that this is their franchise to do with what they want and it's their game?

There are many different Halo fans, and from that many people have different opinions of what can work in a Halo game and what can't. The majority of these changes, to me, says that 343 is trying to keep the Halo experience fresh while at the same time trying to provide that same core experience. I wouldn't want a new version of Halo 2 to be released every three years, and I'd be hard pressed to find new ways of keeping the experience fresh while trying to keep the same core experience. With these changes you lose some fans, like me, who simply disagree with the direction.

As for campaign, the best I can do is write up a large critique and hope that 343 takes some of those criticisms to heart. What's good about my criticisms is that, were 343 to address them, they won't detract – indeed, they should only add – from the enjoyment of people who like what 343 has done with Halo campaigns. If not then I guess I'll just move on. As I said: What are you gonna do?

I hate to draw the comparison but the same polarising exists for both Star Wars trilogies. The old fans hated the new trilogy and Jar Jar for example but when you ask a new fresh audience that the new trilogy was targeted for they love it.

It's a fine balance to retain as many as you can from the existing audience but also change enough to draw a new crowd/generation or take %'s of an audience from another franchise(s).

I'm nearing the finish of my Halo 3 run, nearly done with Cortana. Gotta say it sucks to have her brightly flashing white on my screen when I'm already on the verge of a headache. Gravemind loudly belching in my ear right after I retrieve her doesn't help either. The FOV when gravemind takes over your vision is like 150, why the hell does this game have such an abominably low FOV normally? I remember why the flood are so bothersome after CE, the popcorn are impossible to melee and these ranged forms are irritating and take 2.5 carbine clips god damn.

Still, my opinion of Halo 3's campaign is coming out much more favourably this time around. I made it a point to equip every marine and ODST I came across with any sort of power weapon that was around, holding a passenger warthog with 4 rocket launcher toting marines I had become the horseman of death.

How much longer will this continue to be said? People have been saying the same thing for years. "They'll learn from the mistakes and correct it in the sequel!"

Yeah, right.

tRUE.

Its not like they hired a bunch of homeless people. They hired a lot of people from similar companies and people with experience. Some people directly from Bungie right?

They need fresh mindsets and players who PLAY the shit out of their game. We know stuff, we really really do.

They aren't that bad. Never really had a problem with them. Beat it on legendary coop and solo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They aren't that bad. Never really had a problem with them. Beat it on legendary coop and solo
Yeah people are having a lot more trouble than I thought. Binary Rifle is a dumb weapon, and Halo 2 Jackals are in full force here, but I didn't find it as frustrating. At this point I think I'm just so conditioned to checking pretty much every rooftop/hilltop and moving procedurally. I didn't think it was too bad. All the levels thus far took me two hours, and that's doing it once on Heroic and once again on Legendary. It was actually easier on Legendary the second time around when I knew how to approach all the encounters.

On that note, Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle are the worst parts of Infinity Slayer, easily.

CyReN

They need fresh mindsets and players who PLAY the shit out of their game. We know stuff, we really really do.

I can vouch for this, we have figured out a lot of stuff after a few days it's pretty crazy. I'm not talking some hidden wall on Complex either.

As much shit as the competitive crowd gets from others, we break and dissect the game better than anyone.

Finding the multiplayer to be a bore already. Lack of mixed playlists, no 1 Flag, no Neutral Flag, no Bomb (all types). I've said it before, but WHAT WERE THEY THINKING.

I'm also finding the CTF playlist how I thought it was going to be. Randoms still have no idea on teamwork or even what the flag indicator is meant to "force" them to do.

Overall I like the new multiplayer but it needs the next month or so for skill matching, map votes, unlocks and updates to improve out of sight. Very solid gun play and movements though, very happy with strafe, jump, gun sandbox and loadouts so far aren't impacting much.

I have to play more dominion but I'm found me first game or two just unbalanced in terms of the teams and what they are supposed to do. Not fun really.

I still want to play extraction and need more time with multiplayer before I can post any real meaningful opinions.

Lol Barlow did that yesterday with someone. So awesome.

Despite my issues with multi, the new weapons are for the most part really good. The sticky detonator and railgun being standouts.

I really love the rail gun and the sticky detonator also. Both are powerful, but require some amount of skill to use well. I don't like that the railgun acts differently in campaign than it does in MP.

I hate to draw the comparison but the same polarising exists for both Star Wars trilogies. The old fans hated the new trilogy and Jar Jar for example but when you ask a new fresh audience that the new trilogy was targeted for they love it.

It's a fine balance to retain as many as you can from the existing audience but also change enough to draw a new crowd/generation or take %'s of an audience from another franchise(s).

I don't think that comparison is a good one. Whenever people talk about the prequels, it's not about "this doesn't feel like Star Wars" it's "this is bad Star Wars."

sp3000

New things. Change. Evolution. It's different on the other side of things. Teamwork and discussions. Lots of factors, not just "how can we please Arnie and friends?" It's much deeper than that.

It was change and evolution done purely for the purposes of improving sales and chasing a new population that plays a different type of multiplayer game, at the expense of the existing one.

Whatever Bungie's stupid decisions with bloom, AR starts, and forge maps in matchmaking, at least they weren't done as cynically as 343's were.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the lack of a beta hurt this game's multiplayer. This game, more than any other game before, needed a beta because it was doing so many things differently.

I'm nearing the finish of my Halo 3 run, nearly done with Cortana. Gotta say it sucks to have her brightly flashing white on my screen when I'm already on the verge of a headache. Gravemind loudly belching in my ear right after I retrieve her doesn't help either. The FOV when gravemind takes over your vision is like 150, why the hell does this game have such an abominably low FOV normally? I remember why the flood are so bothersome after CE, the popcorn are impossible to melee and these ranged forms are irritating and take 2.5 carbine clips god damn.

Still, my opinion of Halo 3's campaign is coming out much more favourably this time around. I made it a point to equip every marine and ODST I came across with any sort of power weapon that was around, holding a passenger warthog with 4 rocket launcher toting marines I had become the horseman of death.

I love Halo 3's campaign, it was my introduction to Halo and the Xbox in general (don't judge me).
Have you tried using the Brute Shot for the Ranged Forms? I actually find Marines are better with a Fuel Rod Gun, it's more forgiving of their terrible accuracy.

DeadNames

Banned
The maps aren't too great either, what do you think it says that the best map is a remake? With Halos maps continuing to get worse every release I think at this point 343 should just give up and just stick to remakes. Remakes are not a bad thing!

The maps are miles better than Reach's >.>

The only ones I don't really like are Complex and Abandoned. Meltdown is okay, but the bridge section is a bit of a clusterfuck. I haven't gotten to play on Vortex yet lol.

Top Bottom