• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh shit, my bad. haha

I started and didn't check the thread. Well at least the info's out there now. There was a few gems in there, biggest one being the heavy implication of remakes down the line.

It's straight.

An interesting listen. I do know that I would probably ask many different questions if I were in Dustin's shoes. Would love the opportunity.

Its takes so long to get into a Mantis that its very easy for hidden enemy players to jump out of the bushes and plant a grenade the very moment your mech stands up.

That alone has kept me away from the thing.

Booties

Banned
I'm sure I'm not the only one to like the OPS CG stuff. Jen Taylor nails Halsey IMO.

EDIT: Booties you know what? Maybe it's just Taylor's performance I like so much. I generally don't remember much of the other actors. Maybe the rest were too generic. Halsey is good though.
Halsey is the only developed character. One very small good part doesn't redeem the rest. The cg is obviously good, but not what anyone wanted. Its a substance less corpse with a shiney, cg coffin

lilty

I don't understand the hate on these achievements.. They seem like you can get them by just playing normally and if you're a person who doesn't go off man-cannons or use turrets, just do it for the achievement and be done with it. If not, then at least they look easy to boost.
Not hating, I think they're very fair.

senador

Banned
How the hell am I supposed to melee someone coming off a mancannon? Hopefully these are doable in customs.

But not from KOTH Ragnarok. Why? Halo playlist management continues to baffle.

I played KOTH Ragnarok the other day and I'm pretty sure Banshee was out. I could be wrong, but I swear it was.

It's straight.

An interesting listen. I do know that I would probably ask many different questions if I were in Dustin's shoes. Would love the opportunity.

If only you knew someone who did a podcast!

Halsey is the only developed character. One very small good part doesn't redeem the rest. The cg is obviously good, but not what anyone wanted. Its a substance less corpse with a shiney, cg coffin

The CG is my favorite part. I'm 3 episodes behind for the actual missions but I've been watching the CG. The CG itself is great, its the writing that is questionable at best. Palmer obviously sucks and I also dislike the S4's. Way too dude bro and dense to be in the Spartan program. Its pretty lame.

ElRenoRaven

You know though. That brings me to one key issue. As hard as they're trying to tear Halsey down it only makes you dislike the other characters that much more.

The only good multiplayer achievements are "win X games", "kill X enemies (in slayer)", "spend X time in the hill", "capture X flags" (and that last one's debatable already)

Tawpgun

Important notes from podcast:

- They consider Extraction as the spiritual successor to Assault rather than Territories

- Carbine is one of the highest skilled weapons in the game, believes it has fastest kill speed of any weapon if you get every shot, feels like highly skilled weapons have their place

wat at these.

Extraction is literally Dominion without resupplies/turrets/shield doors, isn't it?

But the carbine one is baffling is extremely worrying. It sounds like there is a huge disconnect here from the actual game and the game MULTIPLAYER LEAD DESIGNER.

Kevin, you don't BELIEVE it has the fastest kill time, you should KNOW it. And when all the evidence points to it being the slowest of the rifles... well...

IHaveIce

Banned
Cool cover.
Indeed, awesome
-This was recorded on November 20th
-Weekly fixes in War Games
-They read every tweet, and forum posts. Taking lots of feedback
-Can only be fixed once a week after testing has been completed
-Talks about Complex fix. Big, known glitch was just 1 of 6 fixed on that map
-Prioritizes fixes based on how bad they are
-Updates just come to matchmaking maps and therefore need to be downloaded to have changes in customs
-Classic gametypes would need to be "rebuilt" to work with Halo 4 (ex. Race)
-Extraction talk
-Ragnarok & Mantis talk
-Railgun talk
-Why Ragnarok?
-We loved Valhalla
-Built it early, seemed to work well with H4 Sandbox
-"It just stuck"
-Versatile map
-Slightly reduced Ragnarok weighting. Dust Storm, "awwwww".
-Paying attention to classic map requests and are being considered.
-Wanted to focus on getting as many brand new maps at launch
-Definite possibility that we'll see Classic Forge remakes in matchmaking
-Talking about remake release timing and such.
-Talking about needing smaller maps in Infinity Slayer (Kevin Franklin brought it up on his own OMG LOLZ)
-Why no forge maps in MM? Why not Relay?
-Relay & Relay CTF needs some more tweaking but will come at some point. Potentially pretty soon along with other Forge Maps
-What about community maps?
-Checking out Community Cartographer maps.
-Time frame for putting community maps in MM (LOL we've got other shit to fix bro. It's coming though)
-MLG Dallas talk
-Kevin loved it. Had fun watching games, talking to fans, players and coaches
-What feedback did you get from MLG Dallas? (People liked how it felt, guns, movement)
-People asking about main weapon balance. Still watching meta data in matchmaking
-Carbine talk. Very high skill curve. Says it has the fastest kill time if all shots hit. They're keeping an eye on balance and will discuss necessary changes
-Why change the tempo of the game? Why speed it up some?
-Tons of factors that go in to how the tempo changes in the end
-Wanted to increased speed; "it does raise the skill curve" 60 kills to win is a product of increased game tempo
-Why put it as points instead of kills? Why do it like CoD?
-They wanted to recognize efforts made by players that weren't just kills, deaths, assists. Expanded to points system to reward everything from Distraction to capturing a flag
-Why 600 points in Infinity Slayer though bro?
-Keeping consistency with new points system. Kill = 10 points so we make the game score counter reflect that
-SORRY FOR HOLDING YOU FOR SO LONG...PLEASE COME BACK...DON'T BE SCARED
-WE'VE GOT TO GET YOU BACK AT SOME POINT....Kevin Franklin: Silence
-Any chance of seeing an "insane gametype" in matchmaking? Kevin Franklin: Yea those are cool but not for a long time
-Spectator mode? CoD has it bro. TF2 has it bro. We going to see something like that in Halo? Maybe just on LAN?
-Kevin Franklin: We know you guys want it. It's on our list. We can't give a time line because we're not sure if it's going to happen. But yea, it's something that we definitely want to put do.

Last words Kevin: Tweet at me - DMR or BR in SWAT?
More SWAT talk.
Let us know how you feel about Banshee removal from CTF Ragnarok
-Talking about old bulletins about Personal Ordnance drops.

THANKS FOR COMING ON, YOU SURVIVED PODTACULAR. K BYE.
Hm interesting stuff, seems like Kevin wants some things that we also want.
Crimson map pack achievements.

jbgMVvPazTTmHd.jpg
:/ No, please no
Thank you kind sir.

Havok

I played KOTH Ragnarok the other day and I'm pretty sure Banshee was out. I could be wrong, but I swear it was.
It might have been a separate update from the CTF removal, but as far as I know, it's still there. It certainly wasn't changed the same week as the CTF variant, which is crazy to me. Same player count, same map.

Tashi

How the hell am I supposed to melee someone coming off a mancannon? Hopefully these are doable in customs.

If only you knew someone who did a podcast!

The CG is my favorite part. I'm 3 episodes behind for the actual missions but I've been watching the CG. The CG itself is great, its the writing that is questionable at best. Palmer obviously sucks and I also dislike the S4's. Way too dude bro and dense to be in the Spartan program. Its pretty lame.

If only! lol

wat at these.

Extraction is literally Dominion without resupplies/turrets/shield doors, isn't it?

But the carbine one is baffling is extremely worrying. It sounds like there is a huge disconnect here from the actual game and the game MULTIPLAYER LEAD DESIGNER.

Kevin, you don't BELIEVE it has the fastest kill time, you should KNOW it. And when all the evidence points to it being the slowest of the rifles... well...

Nah Extraction is pretty different. The way the normal gametype is set up is that there are 5 points on the map. ABCDE. When the game starts only A and B are available to capture. Let's say you Capture A. You have to defend it for 45 seconds until A is extracted and you get the point. At any time, the other team can come in and cancel your extraction and start their own 45 second time. As soon as A or B is extracted, C opens up for extraction. There are only 2 points ever on the map at the same time. It's tweakable for customs and forge and shit though.

Tawpgun

I didn't listen to the podcast, but it seems to me like Dustin never asked about very BIG issues.
1. Filesharing/Waypoint functionality
2. Fixing broken custom options and/or adding ones that have been inexplicably cut.
3. Fixing Ordnance issues (waypoints being wrong, ordnance not spawning or spawning into the ground, general ordnance wonkiness) Perhaps even grill him on people wanting a static ordnance playlist.
4. Firing/Damage/Dead X indicators. EXPLAIN.
5. Feelings on AA balance and Boltshot?

These are some of the biggest issues with Halo 4 right now. If Kevin Franklin agrees to be on your podcast you gotta ask him the questions the people want to hear.

Tashi/Domino/Duncan, could you guys get him on HaloGAF Radio?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to like the OPS CG stuff. Jen Taylor nails Halsey IMO.

EDIT: Booties you know what? Maybe it's just Taylor's performance I like so much. I generally don't remember much of the other actors. Maybe the rest were too generic. Halsey is good though.

I'm with you man. The CG stuff is great and I'm glad we have this to extend Halo's fiction. It just sucks that obvious ways of making FF better were not advanced when Spartan Ops seemed like one of those obvious things..

Lasky. Haven't liked a character this much since Halo 2 (The Arbiter/Gravemind).

Not hating, I think they're very fair.

Comparing these achievements to those in Halo 3/Reach is completely unfair.

Karl2177

I updated my massive post with these two things that I forgot, as well as a few clarifications and grammar mistakes.

10. Spawning is awful. There have been multiple times where I am overrun by Crawlers and Knights spawning on top of me and it respawns me right where I died. I've shut off my Xbox multiple times because of the frustration of dying on repeat because the game decided there was only one place to spawn me in.

Another case study of Valhalla:
ibcc8ULjaRwQjC.png

I've circled safe areas of spawning. They're safe because the lines of sight aren't direct to any major part of the map or they have quick access to cover. Now, it should not spawn the player anywhere within a radar's length of an enemy. So essentially what the spawning system should do is check the spawn point closest to the player's last death. Check if there are any enemies in the spawn zone. If yes, then move to the next closest spawn zone and reduce that zone's weighting. If no, check if there are any OHK enemies that can target that spawn zone. If yes to that check, then move to the next closest spawn zone and reduce the weighting on the zone. If no, then finally spawn the player in. If there is a scenario where all spawn zones are not safe, choose the zone with the highest weighting.

11. Information overload and inconsistencies. This is apparent in all of the game, but Spartan Ops is one of the worst offenders of this. I don't need to know where every single enemy is on the map. Highlighting the last few targets should be for the last few, not the last fifty. One thing done well is the damage done to certain objects like generators. Having that information is actually helpful. But on the flipside, I don't need to see everything that is labeled an enemy, even if it is a Grunt in the turret seat of a Phantom. That type of information is useless and annoying.

It becomes inconsistent when enemies use human weapons. If you play the second Complex Spartan Ops mission, a Grunt can get on a human turret. If he is one of the last thousand enemies with a waypoint over their head, his will disappear. Then shortly after, random enemies will start losing their waypoints. No idea on the cause of it, but it was annoying as hell to track down enemies that were running into corners.

I like how in that Harvest CTF video the guy talking about the map says something about bunkering down and defending the flag and the IGN guy is like, "we call that camping." smh

Tashi

I didn't listen to the podcast, but it seems to me like Dustin never asked about very BIG issues.
1. Filesharing/Waypoint functionality
2. Fixing broken custom options and/or adding ones that have been inexplicably cut.
3. Fixing Ordnance issues (waypoints being wrong, ordnance not spawning or spawning into the ground, general ordnance wonkiness) Perhaps even grill him on people wanting a static ordnance playlist.
4. Firing/Damage/Dead X indicators. EXPLAIN.
5. Feelings on AA balance and Boltshot?

These are some of the biggest issues with Halo 4 right now. If Kevin Franklin agrees to be on your podcast you gotta ask him the questions the people want to hear.

Tashi/Domino/Duncan, could you guys get him on HaloGAF Radio?

Yea he definitely missed some really important questions. Don't know the whole story though.

I'd love to have Kevin on (even for just a quick interview segment) and I'll definitely extend an invite but I think he's on vacation right now. Maybe after the New Year? Don't know.

Havok

Comparing these achievements to those in Halo 3/Reach is completely unfair.
Achievements requiring players to use a very specific weapon or vehicle are not welcome because regardless of whether or not you can get it through normal play, people will be trying for it actively, impacting player behavior detrimentally. Can you seriously not see that people are going to be fighting over the Mantis for these? Over the turret? We're already seeing people boosting commendations because they're too specific. Maybe it'll only be for a week, but why introduce a week of moronic behavior because you are somehow unable to design better achievements?

Even beyond that, this ensures that they are forced to keep these elements on the maps in perpetuity - something that comes up as imbalanced or unwanted later cannot be removed because there is an achievement tied to it. Look at how many playlists can never be removed from Halo 3 and Reach because of achievements.

Is it as bad as the Mongoose splatter achievement? No, but it doesn't have to be that bad to be annoying. There are varying degrees of shittiness, and these lie somewhere along that gradient.

willow ve

One UI issue that's been annoying me. When in a post game lobby, and viewing the previous game stats (hitting the back button) there isn't anywhere to see what the final score was. Why?

Seems like it would have fit nicely alongside the title of what gametype it was...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why are they using the maps made by the Community Cartographers during their 1 day visit to 343 when they played around with Forge pre-release?

I have faith in the ability of the those that attended, but surely they could have chosen or worked with the CC's to chose map that have had a little more planning and testing from the map creators?

Folks are only now getting to grips with Halo 4's Forge and to think they are considering putting really early, rough CC maps into MM instead of looking at what is available TODAY .... I do not understand.

Havok

Maybe, but Reach had a mappack where you could do the chievos in custom games.
That was a bug, though? I mean, 343 fixed it as soon as they could and now those things are impossible to get. Do we think they learned their lesson? Ehhhh, we'll see.

Arnie

Big thanks to Cyren for the Specialization code.

Going to play some flinchless Halo, yo.

Edit: Entered and downloaded, but the specs are still locked. Any reason for this?

Kevin asks the community:
- For SWAT, are people starting with the BR or DMR? Wants to know from the people even though he can pull up stats
Why would anyone want the DMR when it doesn't fire three-round bursts? I've only played one game of SWAT on Abandon, so I don't know if it's available on the larger maps where distance means more.

Nah Extraction is pretty different. The way the normal gametype is set up is that there are 5 points on the map. ABCDE. When the game starts only A and B are available to capture. Let's say you Capture A. You have to defend it for 45 seconds until A is extracted and you get the point. At any time, the other team can come in and cancel your extraction and start their own 45 second time. As soon as A or B is extracted, C opens up for extraction. There are only 2 points ever on the map at the same time. It's tweakable for customs and forge and shit though.
This sounds far more like Territories than Assault, which makes me wonder why the hell the developer would say the opposite was the influence. Based on what you've said and what little I've seen of gameplay, it doesn't resemble Assault in the least.

So, I'm sure this has been complained about before, but it seems even moreso than previous Halo games people are bunny hopping all over the place. In a standing 1 on 1 I do not lose, but of course people bunny hop around hoping to throw off my vertical aim and prevent me from getting a head shot, and it works. Do I really have to set my control scheme to bumper jumper to compete in this game? Bunny hopping is really the stupidest thing...

It's frustrating to lose fight after fight to bunny hoppers when I know I came in with the advantage, and it's too costly for me to take my thumb of the right stick to jump half-way through a firefight.
Is this a serious post? Lol.

For the record I use Recon and have no problem. You want 343 to disable jumping because you can't aim?

Homeboyd

Why would anyone want the DMR when it doesn't fire three-round bursts? I've only played one game of SWAT on Abandon, so I don't know if it's available on the larger maps where distance means more.
It definitely makes a difference on larger maps (and it is available). DMR accuracy trumps the BR in longer range encounters. I never use the BR for anything though so I'm biased. I play a lot pf SWAT and I always prefer the DMR for it's accuracy.

Achievements requiring players to use a very specific weapon or vehicle are not welcome because regardless of whether or not you can get it through normal play, people will be trying for it actively, impacting player behavior detrimentally. Can you seriously not see that people are going to be fighting over the Mantis for these? Over the turret?

You're being too extreme on this and are trying to put that on the same level as Ranked Lone Wolves double kill with one Laser shot or that Defiance CTF achievement.

To your statement though, what's the problem with that? People fight over the Mantis already, but now maybe someone who uses the Mantis a lot will give someone who doesn't a chance to get the achievement. Maybe they'll even stay away from the Mantis for a couple days while people fight over it, allowing them to use other parts of the sandbox.

Same thing applies to the Turret (which are much more common and easy to kill people with so that's a non issue).

We're already seeing people boosting commendations because they're too specific. Maybe it'll only be for a week, but why introduce a week of moronic behavior because you are somehow unable to design better achievements?

Are you against keeping any kind of ranking system out of Halo because of griefers too? You're not being fair man..

Even beyond that, this ensures that they are forced to keep these elements on the maps in perpetuity - something that comes up as imbalanced or unwanted later cannot be removed because there is an achievement tied to it. Look at how many playlists can never be removed from Halo 3 and Reach because of achievements. Is it as bad as the Mongoose splatter achievement? No. There are varying degrees of shittiness, and these are somewhere in that gradient.

That's just an inevitable problem with any achievements tied to map packs, and I agree. However, these achievements don't deserve the same type of hate as anything you're describing or making it seem like.

Why are they using the maps made by the Community Cartographers during their 1 day visit to 343 when they played around with Forge pre-release?

I have faith in the ability of the those that attended, but surely they could have chosen or worked with the CC's to chose map that have had a little more planning and testing from the map creators?

Folks are only now getting to grips with Halo 4's Forge and to think they are considering putting really early, rough CC maps into MM instead of looking at what is available TODAY .... I do not understand.

I thought this same thing ;\ Hopefully those maps will be top quality by the time they get put into MM.

Havok

SWAT Complex is pretty much required DMR territory. Why is such a huge map in SWAT, you ask?

I got nothin'.
You're being too extreme on this and are trying to put that on the same level as Ranked Lone Wolves double kill with one Laser shot or that Defiance CTF achievement.

To your statement though, what's the problem with that? People fight over the Mantis already, but now maybe someone who uses the Mantis a lot will give someone who doesn't a chance to get the achievement. Maybe they'll even stay away from the Mantis for a couple days while people fight over it, allowing them to use other parts of the sandbox.

Same thing applies to the Turret (which are much more common and easy to kill people with so that's a non issue).

Are you against keeping any kind of ranking system out of Halo because of griefers too? You're not being fair man..

That's just an inevitable problem with any achievements tied to map packs, and I agree. However, these achievements don't deserve the same type of hate as anything you're describing or making it seem like.
A) No, I'm not placing it on the same level as those achievements. The last line of the post you quoted explicitly stated that.

B) People fight over the Mantis already. I've seen it happen, I'm not arguing that. Lets introduce a system-level reason for them to do it more often! Why? How is that acceptable? Would you add something to encourage other deviant behavior too? Your dream scenario of someone finding kindness in their heart and learning to love the rest of the game is a great ideal scenario. But history shows that the only constant is that people want to be assholes. The guy who rushes the Mantis every game isn't going to stop because Random Joe 23 x 420 wants to get in so he can go around the map doing nothing but stomping the entire game (you seriously don't see a problem with encouraging that?), he's going to keep rushing it and people are going to be upset. This is the reality of the internet.

C) No, I'm not against any kind of ranking system because no ranking system that has existed ever tells players that the only way they can win is to use one weapon in one way on three maps out of the entire roster. The difference is specificity. Reach commendations: General, class-based. Did not dramatically impact player behavior. Get 20 Kills with Mantis Stomp: Hyperspecific, will impact player behavior to a significant degree. Proposed fix: Get 50 vehicle-related medals. General, allows for a variety of behaviors, does not impact player behavior detrimentally. You can say I'm not being fair, but I'd argue that you're overestimating the ability of people on the internet to not be fucktards.

Whether or not these are as bad as the ones before is irrelevant. They are making the same mistakes at a fundamental level and ignoring lessons that they should have learned with the past two achievement-laden map packs they put out. It is frustrating to see them do so. You're free to think it's not a big deal, but don't be surprised when people are harsh when a developer makes the same mistake 3 times in a row.

Tashi

Big thanks to Cyren for the Specialization code.

Going to play some flinchless Halo, yo.

Edit: Entered and downloaded, but the specs are still locked. Any reason for this?

Get to level 50, enlist in Rogue, get to level 60, enjoy your flinchless Halo.

This sounds far more like Territories than Assault, which makes me wonder why the hell the developer would say the opposite was the influence. Based on what you've said and what little I've seen of gameplay, it doesn't resemble Assault in the least.

I guess it's like Assault in that you have to sit there "arming" the Extraction point. And you also have to disarm the Extraction point if someone has taken it. But yea, there's no carrying of a bomb or anything like that. It's really a mix of the 2 gametypes.

So, I'm sure this has been complained about before, but it seems even moreso than previous Halo games people are bunny hopping all over the place. In a standing 1 on 1 I do not lose, but of course people bunny hop around hoping to throw off my vertical aim and prevent me from getting a head shot, and it works. Do I really have to set my control scheme to bumper jumper to compete in this game? Bunny hopping is really the stupidest thing...

It's frustrating to lose fight after fight to bunny hoppers when I know I came in with the advantage, and it's too costly for me to take my thumb of the right stick to jump half-way through a firefight.

Its REALLY easy to hit people who constantly bunny hop as they have very predictable actions. Its the guys who stay on the ground and only jump at the last moment that you need to be wary of.

What??? How is this a thing? Holy hell thats terrible. I doubt anyone would have tried to make a good map in that one day. I imagine most people where just playing with Forge.

It definitely makes a difference on larger maps (and it is available). DMR accuracy trumps the BR in longer range encounters. I never use the BR for anything though so I'm biased. I play a lot pf SWAT and I always prefer the DMR for it's accuracy.

SWAT Complex is pretty much required DMR territory. Why is such a huge map in SWAT, you ask?

I got nothin'.
It certainly makes sense on larger maps, though I don't know why that should even be a thing for SWAT. Oh well.

I guess it's like Assault in that you have to sit there "arming" the Extraction point. And you also have to disarm the Extraction point if someone has taken it. But yea, there's no carrying of a bomb or anything like that. It's really a mix of the 2 gametypes.
Right, but you have to sit in a Territory to gain the area, and the enemy can gain it right back if you don't hold it down long enough to lock it. Also no two fixed bases to break into, based on what I've seen, just random points on the map. I guess I can see a small correlation, but I get a big Territories vibe more than anything else. Maybe Complex will work better for the gametype with all the buildings. Regardless, I'm excited to try it out next week.

Arnie

Did you reach level 50 yet?

Get to level 50, enlist in Rogue, get to level 60, enjoy your flinchless Halo.

Cheers guys. Not far away. Once the MLG playlist comes out I'll fly through the ranks, as it is I'm struggling to hold my attention when Haven just repeats in the rotation. Really do think the lack of actual tangible skill based ranks is also sapping my will to play. I had a really fun game of Slayer Pro on Haven, but it all just feels so worthless and disposable.

Booties

Banned
Bumper jumper has been in this game since 2007. People were clawing well before that. What are you talking about? Learn how to aim? Get on my level?

Louis Wu

Kevin asks the community:
- For SWAT, are people starting with the BR or DMR? Wants to know from the people even though he can pull up stats
Depends entirely on the map. Haven, Adrift (ugh), Abandon - I use the BR. (I actually will pick up the DMR on Abandon as a Secondary - plenty of people dying with them - because there are longer sightlines where it's useful.)

Complex - DMR, definitely.

I got nothin'.
Heh - I LOVE Complex SWAT. It's less of a twitch game, and more of an accuracy one. (Still one headshot to kill, so you don't have to keep your accuracy up for multiple shots... but the longer range means getting that shot off doesn't require the same twitch skills that, say, Haven SWAT needs.)

That's just me, I guess. Seems like a lot of people think it's dumb. :)

Havok

Heh - I LOVE Complex SWAT. It's less of a twitch game, and more of an accuracy one. (Still one headshot to kill, so you don't have to keep your accuracy up for multiple shots... but the longer range means getting that shot off doesn't require the same twitch skills that, say, Haven SWAT needs.)

That's just me, I guess. Seems like a lot of people think it's dumb. :)
I only really have an issue with the way that map spawns players, particularly in SWAT - the layout is a little less important for Slayer than I suppose I made it sound. If it weighted indoor spawns more heavily, I think I'd enjoy it more, but spawning behind the garage while the enemy team held the top middle building pretty much killed my desire to try it again.

Top Bottom