• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Overdoziz

Banned
I pointed this out. No way in hell would they do this, would they? They can't be that foolish or naive.
My guess is that they're putting Forge maps into matchmaking before filesharing goes online for Waypoint.com making it hard for them to find good maps quickly online. What's left is the maps that were made in a couple of days by people who had barely even played Halo 4 and only just got their hands on the new Forge. It would be a pretty horrible excuse, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Just like Grifball was the go-to list for this challenge in Reach, Flood is the list you should be looking at in H4.

I mean, sure, you CAN get this in other lists... but why not use a list it was DESIGNED for?
Haha I never even considered this option. I'm one of those straight line, Jerome Bettis-esque Halo problem solvers.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My guess is that they're putting Forge maps into matchmaking before filesharing goes online for Waypoint.com making it hard for them to find good maps quickly online. What's left is the maps that were made in a couple of days by people who had barely even played Halo 4 and only just got their hands on the new Forge. It would be a pretty horrible excuse, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The Community Cartographers exist. The group is still waiting to hear what, if any, plans they have for us for Halo 4. This is the sort of thing the CC's could easily assist with - in fact, it's the reason why the CC's exist in the first place.

I hope they start making use of the CC's soon enough, because there's no real reason to keep the group together unless it's being used.

Shadders

I think the Achievables will be doable in Custom Games. All the previous Halo multi achievements have said they need to be in either ranked or matchmade game.

I'd even hazard a guess that some can be done in Campaign/SpOps.

Look at the terminology:

• Kill a player while you're airborne from a Man Cannon.
  • Get a kill while airborne in a Warthog.
  • Kill 20 enemies using the Mantis' stomp attack.

Surely "enemies" can be either PVP or PVE whereas "player" will just be PVP? "Get a kill" would just be any kill.

I think the Achievables will be doable in Custom Games. All the previous Halo multi achievements have said they need to be in either ranked or matchmade game.

I'd even hazard a guess that some can be done in Campaign/SpOps.

Look at the terminology:

• Kill a player while you're airborne from a Man Cannon.
  • Get a kill while airborne in a Warthog.
  • Kill 20 enemies using the Mantis' stomp attack.

Surely "enemies" can be either PVP or PVE whereas "player" will just be PVP? "Get a kill" would just be any kill.

I think you're reading too much into 343's lack of standardized terminology.

Would you guys be interested in me writing up a huge post (with pictures!) of my attempt to salvage Halo 5's weapon sandbox similar to Karl's?

Karl2177

Would you guys be interested in me writing up a huge post (with pictures!) of my attempt to salvage Halo 5's weapon sandbox similar to Karl's?

I'd argue that the weapon sandbox is fairly well balanced; the issues in it come from what players can and can't spawn with. Spawning everyone with a boltshot is like spawning everyone with dual maulers in their back pocket.

But yes. Any type of analysis is good. I'd be interested in seeing your perspective on it.

I'd argue that the weapon sandbox is fairly well balanced; the issues in it come from what players can and can't spawn with. Spawning everyone with a boltshot is like spawning everyone with dual maulers in their back pocket.

It's just so hypocritical - 343 won't let us spawn with a shotgun or scattershot, yet they will let us spawn with the third type of shotgun - the boltshot.

why.jpg

I use it on every loadout except my BTB loadout. I cannot remember how many times I've been absolutely de-shielded and running from a full-health opponent, only to duck around a corner and slaughter him with the Boltshot when he chased me too far.

Sucks to be him, but it happens to me (rarely, because I'm aware of the tactic) so I figure it's all fair game.

It's just so hypocritical - 343 won't let us spawn with a shotgun or scattershot, yet they will let us spawn with the third type of shotgun - the boltshot.

why.jpg

You guys are going overboard with the boltshot criticism. It's unfair, but its not that unfair. Shotgun and scattershot are way more powerful as you have to charge and release the boltshot at the right time and you're pretty much toast if you miss because of the long reload(sans glitch). Yes, I think it's OP, but if they simply made it a point blank kill rather than the 10-15 foot range it has, I think it would be reasonable.

CyReN

I'll save you the time.
John_Howard.png

FyreWulff

The Community Cartographers exist. The group is still waiting to hear what, if any, plans they have for us for Halo 4. This is the sort of thing the CC's could easily assist with - in fact, it's the reason why the CC's exist in the first place.

I hope they start making use of the CC's soon enough, because there's no real reason to keep the group together unless it's being used.

This. We're still waiting, primed, ready to go.

Enfinit

Carbine is one of the highest skilled weapons in the game, believes it has fastest kill speed of any weapon if you get every shot, feels like highly skilled weapons have their place

Actually, someone posted the kill times for each precision weapon earlier in this |OT|:

BR: 1.8 seconds
DMR: 1.47 seconds
Carbine: 1.63
LR zoomed: 1.4
LR unzoomed: 1.8

Carbine's not the faster, but it's not the slowest if these numbers are accurate (which I believe they are).

Actually, someone posted the kill times for each precision weapon earlier in this |OT|:

Carbine's not the faster, but it's not the slowest if these numbers are accurate (which I believe they are).

Even if it was the fastest by like .1 second, the dmr has far superior range. That in combination with the amount of precision the carbine takes (more shots), and it's not enough to make it the best selection, even if you are awesome.

senador

Banned

I'm pretty happy with the weapon in the sandbox, it's just the fact that you can have Boltshot in a loadout and that DMR is king that bother me.

I'd be interested in hosting such a post on FUD if you're interested. :)

It has an even split between factions/weapons, takes a few ideas from books, and isn't afraid to segregate to segregate the campaign-multiplayer and even gametype-gametype sandboxes so yeah, once it's all fancied up I'd be happy to have it up there.

But yes. Any type of analysis is good. I'd be interested in seeing your perspective on it.

I'd have to agree, which is pretty surprising for 343's first game save for maybe the Scattershot and Boltshot's lopsided effectivenesses and being able to start with a DMR. Mine's admittedly pretty fluffy, but you have to keep in mind it covers:
-Loadout weapons, primary and secondary, with a variety of functions (but similar ranges)
-On-map pickup weapons, which are sparse but still give you a significant advantage, and have some degree of a learning curve at least compared to Ordnance
-Global Ordnance or traditional Power Weapons, which are basically the meatiest options available with variations depending on map size and gametype
-Possibly Personal Ordnance which would be much more limited in scale.

It's going to cover a lot of weapons, and with each faction having a role-filler some weapons may have niches that overlap. The difference with my philosophy, however, is that it should be treated like typing. Let's say each weapon is a key on your keyboard. Are you going to use every single key in all of your sentences or posts? Of course not. But it's nice to have the option buried away, because you know at least one person's going to want to type a ♎ or a ♊ at some point.

For example, you may have an Incineration Cannon and a Rocket Launcher occupying about the same role, but the Incineration Cannon would be put on bigger maps where you're trying to blow as much up as you can, while Rockets could be either/or and have their purpose even on smaller competitive maps.

Tawpgun

Because good players wont use it

I do not. Ever.

because I can never get the timing right

If you're not using the boltshot as a secondary you're gimping yourself.

The timing isn't too difficult, you can hold it for the allotted time but you can discharge it early also. The only thing you need to wait for is the reticle to light up fully. Once you got that you can fire anytime from then to when it automatically goes off. I usually release it myself.

You guys are going overboard with the boltshot criticism. It's unfair, but its not that unfair. Shotgun and scattershot are way more powerful as you have to charge and release the boltshot at the right time and you're pretty much toast if you miss and the other person is decent because of the reload time (sans glitch). Yes, I think it's OP, but if they simply made it a point blank kill rather than the 10-15 foot range it has, I think it would be reasonable.

Remember Halo 3?

There was a power weapon in Halo 3.

It was called the Mauler. It was so powerful they had to remove it from the snipe tower on guardian because you could hold the tower with the thing.

The mauler by itself couldn't kill in one shot. Most people paired it with a melee. In a way, it had similar CQC capabilities to the plasma pistol.

The boltshot is a weapon you can spawn with.

Not only is it a one shot kill, but its lethal range is longer than the scattershot. I'd say its equal to that of the shotty. And the Halo 4 shotty got a nice lethality boost too.

To top it all off, if you only strip their shields with the blast, you can headshot them!

I say it is that unfair. I think the only people that say the boltshot is fine or not that bad are ones who can't get kills with it and get matched up with people of similar skill. I find the thing just as easy to use as a shotgun. Easier to use than a scattershot.

I'd be totally fine with them nuking it from loadouts. But if they want to keep it they need to make its overcharge ONLY strip shields.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was really enjoying the Light Rifle last night. If you can get the 4sk down it is pretty deadly. I did learn not to engage playes at BR range though. LR works at long range and close range, seems fairly useless at medium range.

Try firepower with DMR/LR or BR/LR. Pretty solid combo

Karl2177

I'd have to agree, which is pretty surprising for 343's first game save for maybe the Scattershot and Boltshot's lopsided effectivenesses and being able to start with a DMR. Mine's admittedly pretty fluffy, but you have to keep in mind it covers:
-Loadout weapons, primary and secondary, with a variety of functions (but similar ranges)
-On-map pickup weapons, which are sparse but still give you a significant advantage, and have some degree of a learning curve at least compared to Ordnance
-Global Ordnance or traditional Power Weapons, which are basically the meatiest options available with variations depending on map size and gametype
-Possibly Personal Ordnance which would be much more limited in scale.

It's going to cover a lot of weapons, and with each faction having a role-filler some weapons may have niches that overlap. The difference with my philosophy, however, is that it should be treated like typing. Let's say each weapon is a key on your keyboard. Are you going to use every single key in all of your sentences or posts? Of course not. But it's nice to have the option buried away, because you know at least one person's going to want to type a ♎ or a ♊ at some point.

For example, you may have an Incineration Cannon and a Rocket Launcher occupying about the same role, but the Incineration Cannon would be put on bigger maps where you're trying to blow as much up as you can, while Rockets could be either/or and have their purpose even on smaller competitive maps.

I'd love to read it. An ETA on when you'll post it?

I use it on every loadout except my BTB loadout. I cannot remember how many times I've been absolutely de-shielded and running from a full-health opponent, only to duck around a corner and slaughter him with the Boltshot when he chased me too far.

Sucks to be him, but it happens to me (rarely, because I'm aware of the tactic) so I figure it's all fair game.

Except that is the exact problem. Its beyond a crutch because now not only can you escape death you can turn the tables and 1 shot an opponent. Its cheap when it happens with a rocket or sword but that was a much rarer situation.

Now from spawning people have a shotgun, Couple it with Camo_Sprinting+Dexterity and the game turns into a mess of people camping round every corner invisible.

Straight Bullshit and it should of never been a loadout weapon.

How I think weapons in H4 should of been

Primary Weapons
DMR
BR
Assault Rifle
Carbine (BR)
Needler Rifle (DMR)
Storm Rifle/ Plasma Repeater
Light Rifle
Promethean Repeater

Secondary Weapons
Magnum
SMG
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle/Brute PR
Boltshot (small version of the Light Rifle, 4SK scoped 8sk Unscoped. Firing rate is slowed when scoped)
Spiker (coz we need brutes in SP)

Bring dual wielding back make it an option on spawn from a Tactical Package. Its completely optional and its no more game breaking than anything else added since Halo 3.

If you're not using the boltshot as a secondary you're gimping yourself.

The timing isn't too difficult, you can hold it for the allotted time but you can discharge it early also. The only thing you need to wait for is the reticle to light up fully. Once you got that you can fire anytime from then to when it automatically goes off. I usually release it myself.

Remember Halo 3?

There was a power weapon in Halo 3.

It was called the Mauler. It was so powerful they had to remove it from the snipe tower on guardian because you could hold the tower with the thing.

The mauler by itself couldn't kill in one shot. Most people paired it with a melee. In a way, it had similar CQC capabilities to the plasma pistol.

The boltshot is a weapon you can spawn with.

Not only is it a one shot kill, but its lethal range is longer than the scattershot. I'd say its equal to that of the shotty. And the Halo 4 shotty got a nice lethality boost too.

To top it all off, if you only strip their shields with the blast, you can headshot them!

I say it is that unfair. I think the only people that say the boltshot is fine or not that bad are ones who can't get kills with it and get matched up with people of similar skill. I find the thing just as easy to use as a shotgun. Easier to use than a scattershot.

I'd be totally fine with them nuking it from loadouts. But if they want to keep it they need to make its overcharge ONLY strip shields.

The mauler was more overpowered than the the boltshot, I think (yea, I know you couldn't start with the mauler). The shoot and melee combo was way easier with halo 3's slower movement, plus you could do it on multiple enemies in quick succession. Boltshot has to be charged, you can't hold that charge, so if they enemy moves back at the right time your charge has been wasted, and it takes a second or two after that to go into single fire mode if you've stripped their shields and are trying to go for a headshot. Basically, you've got one shot; if you miss completely you're screwed, if you get their shields down you have a chance but so do they. Like I said, I still think it's overpowered, but a decrease in range would greatly help. It's nowhere close to the scattershot. That thing shoots like 2 times a second.

GamerSoul

Because good players wont use it

I'm not good and I dont use it. Where does that leave me? heh. The timing is pretty tough for me but I can see how a great player can easily get a couple kills with it. I feel safer with a magnum or even an AR to finish the job at this point, but I'll admit I have given the Bolt enough time.

Imo, those numbers tell much of the story, DMR is really that awesome, but there's always more to it when you're not testing it in a vacuum.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It has an even split between factions/weapons, takes a few ideas from books, and isn't afraid to segregate to segregate the campaign-multiplayer and even gametype-gametype sandboxes so yeah, once it's all fancied up I'd be happy to have it up there.

Sounds perfect.

Hit me up with a PM when you got something. Would be nice to have your ideas reach a wider audience. :)

Kevin (i think it was kevin) Talks about the carbine in the Limited Edition Strategy guide. Mathematically he says it does have the fastest kill time. Its likely

Damage per shot
Delay between Shots

That is calculated.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kevin (i think it was kevin) Talks about the carbine in the Limited Edition Strategy guide. Mathematically he says it does have the fastest kill time. Its likely

Damage per shot
Delay between Shots

That is calculated.

Exactly. Unless we see the code we don't know the precise firing rate. I know in Reach that I would sometimes hit that "perfect" firing rate and melt people. Very difficult to do.

JackHerer

So I just tried to go into matchmaking and it says i'm SR1 in the search and in game I can't use my loadouts at all. When I press start and look at my service record it still says I'm SR73. What the hell is going on? This is not the usual resetting your loadouts glitch.

Any more impressions of Team Regicide? Still good?
As a mainly solo player, my experience last night was very good despite getting my ass kicked. Teams played like teams, no bullshit Personal Ordnance, and I got my first Execution (for the record, I hate FFA Regicide and will probably never play it again).

Why is everything out today? Dragonborn, BF3: Aftermath, Far Cry 3...

Good bye, Halo. See you in like 2 weeks.

Iv double dipped with Skyrim DLC but i think ill just get Dragonborn for PC this time around. The PC version is far superior and I really don't enjoy going back to the xbox version.

BF3 never clicked with me.

Far Cry 3 has peaked my interest but I'm just worried it will be like FC2 which was abysmal and I literally gave a brand new copy away the day after i bought it

Top Bottom