• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So Team Regicide is great but no one is playing...takes forever for me to find a game and when I do teammates are just garbage.

No one works together, it is awful.

So Team Regicide is great but no one is playing...takes forever for me to find a game and when I do teammates are just garbage.

No one works together, it is awful.

Yeah. I didn't like it. My teams' king always seemed to jump right into the action instead of trying to be evasive.

And you can get more king kills doing the FFA version.

Thanks to whoever posted those Sonic speedruns, cant believe i just watched the whole Sonic3 and knuckles run, good grief that game is broken

Haha, no problem. That run and the Sonic 2 run have been significantly improved this year as well. Not only more glitches (wraps, skips, and the like) but insanely fast glitchless strats that in a couple cases are actually faster than the glitched one. But of course, they are very difficult.

Mike89, Breakdown, Exo, Cosmo, and the High Speed Halo crew are my favorite runners. Everything they do is entertaining on its own, but they turn it into an art.

Who was basically the pioneer of getting outside of Halo 1 campaign areas?

Wasn't it basically like one guy who found most of the ways out?

Haha, no problem. That run and the Sonic 2 run have been significantly improved this year as well. Not only more glitches (wraps, skips, and the like) but insanely fast glitchless strats that in a couple cases are actually faster than the glitched one. But of course, they are very difficult.

Mike89, Breakdown, Exo, Cosmo, and the High Speed Halo crew are my favorite runners. Everything they do is entertaining on its own, but they turn it into an art.

Very interesting to watch, seeing as i played those games to death as a kid. Kinda makes seeming beating them the hard way pointless hahaha.

That Ice cap act 2 skip was outrageous. Mind blowing stuff

darthbob

think so since they are modded

but they are awesome

dreamcrusher.png

Louis Wu

Who was basically the pioneer of getting outside of Halo 1 campaign areas?

Wasn't it basically like one guy who found most of the ways out?
Frogblast (went by Metafire for a while) was one of the biggies from the early days, but there were a few. Xbill, Bonk... man, you're bringing back memories. :)

Frogblast (went by Metafire for a while) was one of the biggies from the early days, but there were a few. Xbill, Bonk... man, you're bringing back memories. :)

ahh yes those were exciting times. I had even more fun getting out of the Halo 2 multiplayer maps because you could do it online with lots of buddies!

That invisible staircase to heaven on Burial Mounds...or the rooftops of the skyscrapers on Headlong...the bottom of Ivory Tower...or the crazy drop to the bottom of Gemini...

I was sad when they removed sword and rocket launcher lunging.

FyreWulff

Why are they using the maps made by the Community Cartographers during their 1 day visit to 343 when they played around with Forge pre-release?

I have faith in the ability of the those that attended, but surely they could have chosen or worked with the CC's to chose map that have had a little more planning and testing from the map creators?

Folks are only now getting to grips with Halo 4's Forge and to think they are considering putting really early, rough CC maps into MM instead of looking at what is available TODAY .... I do not understand.

Are you serious

u4iX

I think the strongest piece of evidence for 343's lack of understanding comes from one of the weekly War Game challenges.

"Earn 12 CQC kills in a single game."

It's so frustrating and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to do when anyone can spawn with a Boltshot in their back pocket.

Tawpgun

I think the strongest piece of evidence for 343's lack of understanding comes from one of the weekly War Game challenges.

It's so frustrating and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to do when anyone can spawn with a Boltshot in their back pocket.

Does a boltshot kil count as CQC?

If so this challenge is easy.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Important notes from podcast:
- Feedback from competitive community at MLG Dallas included concerns DMR/BR rifle balance which they are watching closely how the rifle balance evolves, taking note of people using Carbine and Light Rifle too, thinks we well see changes down the line
- Carbine is one of the highest skilled weapons in the game, believes it has fastest kill speed of any weapon if you get every shot, feels like highly skilled weapons have their place

- Aware of requests from community for spectator modes (Call of Duty cited as reference in the question), cannot commit to timeframe or whether it will happen, still something they want to do, would want to only release such a thing when it's completely ready

That's great but the dang thing needs a buff. The "Highly skilled" rifles in this state are useless scrub weapons.

Hope we see spectator mode before all interest in this game dies out completely.

If only they would remove random ordnance and instant spawns. This game would get 10x better because of those two changes alone. I doubt either happens. :(

First one seems integral to them, second one will be thwarted by Waypoint BKs. I'd pay money for the second. ;-;

Lasky. Haven't liked a character this much since Halo 2 (The Arbiter/Gravemind).
Agreed, he's an appealing character, and FUD really helped to entrench him in the universe.

So, I'm sure this has been complained about before, but it seems even moreso than previous Halo games people are bunny hopping all over the place. In a standing 1 on 1 I do not lose, but of course people bunny hop around hoping to throw off my vertical aim and prevent me from getting a head shot, and it works. Do I really have to set my control scheme to bumper jumper to compete in this game? Bunny hopping is really the stupidest thing...

It's frustrating to lose fight after fight to bunny hoppers when I know I came in with the advantage, and it's too costly for me to take my thumb of the right stick to jump half-way through a firefight.

You should've used BJ right from launch, always easier to learn new sens and controls when the game releases. Bumper Jumper is just the best way to play in general.

u4iX

I forgot to add the caveat that this is just my personal opinion and should be taken as such, because I am not a game developer.

u4iX

http://www.halocouncil.com/news/kevin-franklin-on-podtacular

Here’s a quick breakdown by enzo_gt:
  • Says they create a weekly “to be fixed” list, usually go live Sunday or Monday the following week after obvious testing and whatnot
  • Map exploits are fixed by putting invisible volumes or soft/hard kill volumes in the maps, you can download recently played maps and the fixes will apply to those maps too (i.e. if you wanted to use fixed versions of maps in customs)
  • Some exploit jumps were fixed on Haven recently
  • With regards to Race and Territories and classic gametypes being missing, because of new gametype scripting being tied to the new medal system and whatnot, they can’t just copy + paste, says adding stuff like distinct game modes is possible, but can’t promise it, says when they fix glitches and stuff they can look into adding and creating classic game modes
  • They consider Extraction as the spiritual successor to Assault rather than Territories
  • Talks about the Banshee/Mantis balance on Ragnarok, there was a dynamic of the two considered in design
  • Railgun is by design more anti-Spartan and not really meant to be anti-Vehicle although it can be used to do things like flip Warthogs
  • Some weapons are different in campaign and MP, is not sure if Railgun is one of them (after host mentions potential faster charge in campaign)
  • Ragnarok chosen to remake because they loved Valhalla and they felt that it would work well with the Mantis with regards to map flow
  • Same main artist for Valhalla and Ragnarok
  • Paying attention and listening to requests for remakes, but it was important for them to have as many fresh experiences as possible for launch
  • Can’t say when, but remakes are definitely something they’re looking at (sounds like an indirect confirmation to me)
  • Exile is one of the dev teams favourite maps, as well as Haven
  • Voids in playlist right now include needing more smaller maps in Infinity Slayer, which they are looking at
  • Relay is being looked at internally to be tweaked for inclusion into the CTF playlist, won’t be in for next week but the weeks after are a possibility, this kind of stuff is dependent on how many issues and the workload of the team at the given time
  • Community maps have been obtained by the devs from a Community Cartographer event and they are looking at what needs to be done to get them ready for matchmaking
  • Road map for including community maps into matchmaking again is not rigid, as fast as the team can do things they will with bug fixes being top priority
  • Meltdown and Icefield (Halo PC) not directly related, team not afraid to use old maps as a beginning to evolve into something altogether, mentions this after using Solace being similar to Narrows as another example
  • Team members look into every single Halo map for inspiration, models for sightlines, weapon placement, etc.
  • Feedback from competitive community at MLG Dallas included concerns DMR/BR rifle balance which they are watching closely how the rifle balance evolves, taking note of people using Carbine and Light Rifle too, thinks we well see changes down the line
  • Carbine is one of the highest skilled weapons in the game, believes it has fastest kill speed of any weapon if you get every shot, feels like highly skilled weapons have their place
  • Asked why Halo gameplay was sped up, one of many early Slayer prototypes for Halo 4 was based around “tempo,” which affected all the core elements of gameplay, felt it raised skill curve and eventually it developed into the final product
  • One prototype was developed called “Slayer ++ or M Slayer” that focused on scoring, a few others that were focused on weapon balance, they all came together and mixed together into what became Infinity Slayer right before E3.
  • “Why take the Call of Duty route and introduce +10 points?” – The biggest thing was that the , felt it often didn’t recognize input of some members of the team such as the Wheelman, wanted to find ways to recognize all the players’ impacts on their team, chose to focus the medals on this new reward system, created point structure to distinguish between stuff like Distraction as a +5 where as a Flag Capture is +100
  • Kill points kept consistent in denominations to create consistency with personal ordnance
  • Asked if we’ll see another “insane” gametype introduced into Halo 4, possible down the line, Fiesta was well received at MLG, how fast they appeared in older Halo games would be a good indicator for when they will appear in 4, would consider emergent gametypes from the community that are very popular for playlist updates
  • Aware of requests from community for spectator modes (Call of Duty cited as reference in the question), cannot commit to timeframe or whether it will happen, still something they want to do, would want to only release such a thing when it’s completely ready
  • Says there is an advantage with using the Magnum instead of the BR/DMR in SWAT if you have the height advantage because of how head hitboxes work in Halo 4
  • Added Mantis to Meltdown (I guess in BTB variants?) and there is a spawn issue they are aware of and working on
  • Removed Banshee from CTF Ragnarok
  • Graphs are available on the latest Halo Bulletin for Personal Ordnance drop percentages, are tuned based on maps
  • Meltdown Dominion specifically has a high chance of dropping Incineration Cannons when you resupply bases (noticeable if you’ve played the gametype)
  • Kevin asks the community:
  • For SWAT, are people starting with the BR or DMR? Wants to know from the people even though he can pull up stats

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Can you do it in Slayer Pro? It would be much easier in that playlist.

Louis Wu

Just like Grifball was the go-to list for this challenge in Reach, Flood is the list you should be looking at in H4.

I mean, sure, you CAN get this in other lists... but why not use a list it was DESIGNED for?

I'm with you man. The CG stuff is great and I'm glad we have this to extend Halo's fiction. It just sucks that obvious ways of making FF better were not advanced when Spartan Ops seemed like one of those obvious things..

Lasky. Haven't liked a character this much since Halo 2 (The Arbiter/Gravemind).

Comparing these achievements to those in Halo 3/Reach is completely unfair.

I kind of think Lasky is only likable due to FUD and one or two moments in the campaign. But I guess those moments are defining of his character.

So, I'm sure this has been complained about before, but it seems even moreso than previous Halo games people are bunny hopping all over the place. In a standing 1 on 1 I do not lose, but of course people bunny hop around hoping to throw off my vertical aim and prevent me from getting a head shot, and it works. Do I really have to set my control scheme to bumper jumper to compete in this game? Bunny hopping is really the stupidest thing...

It's frustrating to lose fight after fight to bunny hoppers when I know I came in with the advantage, and it's too costly for me to take my thumb of the right stick to jump half-way through a firefight.

As it's been said before, bumper jumper is nothing new, same with the claw grip.

Although it probably doesn't help that BJ is the only good layout.

u4iX

That's from this forum.

forum-inception post.

Whoa, I didn't even realize.

Just like Grifball was the go-to list for this challenge in Reach, Flood is the list you should be looking at in H4.

I mean, sure, you CAN get this in other lists... but why not use a list it was DESIGNED for?

Yeah, that's probably the best way to get that challenge. I just get split up between playing playlists I actually enjoy, or playing a playlist I don't like as much just to earn some EXP chunks. First world problems.

Just watched the CTF match over lunch. I was tempted to mute because it was too excruciating to listen to at times. However, I suffered through all of the dialogue for scholarly reasons. OhGodWhy.jpg

Some quotes and 'Lessons learned' (some paraphrased):

• "That was a great example of teamwork..."
  • Halo 4 is a spectator sport.
  • "Everybody watching, rewind about 10 seconds, that flag kill was OMG amazing!"
  • "We are seeing some high level plasma grenade action..."
  • Drawn out discussion about how the terrain isn't flat, so this will lead to uber-amazing gunfights...or something.
  • Defending your flag is camping.
  • Even if you have promethean vision and see defenders at the base mere feet in front of you, grab the flag and attempt to run the most dangerous route possible anyway.
  • When you have a shotty and a sniper, the smart thing to do is charge through the open to kill some random guy who's already shooting you from behind cover.
There was so much more, but these stuck out for me. My brain hurts.

That phasing glitch is crazy. Tried it in a custom last night. Dont see it as a big problem seeing as you need an opponent to do it.

Since theres so many glitches heres hoping for some Halo 2 type glitches, they were fun as hell to do in customs. Getting out of maps, getting on the Headlong cranes, gettting on top of Foundation etc.

Also Recon>>> BumperJumper

"Community maps have been obtained by the devs from a Community Cartographer event and they are looking at what needs to be done to get them ready for matchmaking"​
Holy hell, this is scary. No one could create a good map in two days (well, one, considering how long it takes to set up all the non-structural stuff) with this version of Forge. Maybe they just built the map itself and let 343 do all the other work with spawns and all the objective placements, but in my experience it would still make for an extremely poor map. Forge maps get enough hate as it is, this doesn't sound like it's doing anyone any favors.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
"Community maps have been obtained by the devs from a Community Cartographer event and they are looking at what needs to be done to get them ready for matchmaking"​
Holy hell, this is scary. No one could create a good map in two days (well, one, considering how long it takes to set up all the non-structural stuff) with this version of Forge. Maybe they just built the map itself and let 343 do all the other work with spawns and all the objective placements, but in my experience it would still make for an extremely poor map. Forge maps get enough hate as it is, this doesn't sound like it's doing anyone any favors.

I pointed this out. No way in hell would they do this, would they? They can't be that foolish or naive.

I pointed this out. No way in hell would they do this, would they? They can't be that foolish or naive.
Right, you pointing it out made me look more closely to see where you got that from (the Podtacular interview). It sounds absolutely insane to go that route; I hope at the very least it's a work in progress deal that the lucky few got to be a part of, where they get to work closely with the developers to finely tune their maps over time. I would be fully behind something like that, and also be totally jealous at the same time.

I think we'd have heard if those CC were still working on them, I'm not sure why 343 would want it to be a big secret.
I mean we know Pete and Ghal were there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm clobbering fools in Team Regicide right now. So much fun. They should probably drop regular Regicide and just keep this.

Homeboyd

It wasn't a CC event in terms of the CC group. They're using "community cartographers" as a descriptor for general map makers (Forgers) from the community that may or may not be a part of the actual CC group. Still, I don't know anything about the maps either or which ones they're looking at, so unfortunately I can't really offer any insight to their quality.

Top Bottom