• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

35680_10151317071612679_2136733315_n.jpg

I wonder how many will buy it.

Far Cry 3 has peaked my interest but I'm just worried it will be like FC2 which was abysmal and I literally gave a brand new copy away the day after i bought it

Supposed to be a lot better. Still not doing it for me, for some reason (just from looks, haven't played it). I think I'm just sick of shooting the same ak 47's and mp5's in games. I like crazy weapons.

wwm0nkey

Supposed to be a lot better. Still not doing it for me, for some reason (just from looks, haven't played it). I think I'm just sick of shooting the same ak 47's and mp5's in games. I like crazy weapons.

Guns? Fuck that I just use takedowns in FC3 lol

Also the option to go complete stealth mode is awesome.

Tawpgun

The mauler was more overpowered than the the boltshot, I think (yea, I know you couldn't start with the mauler). The shoot and melee combo was way easier with halo 3's slower movement, plus you could do it on multiple enemies in quick succession. Boltshot has to be charged, you can't hold that charge, so if they enemy moves back at the right time your charge has been wasted, and it takes a second or two after that to go into single fire mode if you've stripped their shields and are trying to go for a headshot. Basically, you've got one shot; if you miss completely you're screwed, if you get their shields down you have a chance but so do they. Like I said, I still think it's overpowered, but a decrease in range would greatly help. It's nowhere close to the scattershot. That thing shoots like 2 times a second.

But how much more powerful was the mauler really? I'd argue they are similar. Boltshot has bigger range, headshot capability.

Mauler only beats it if you're dealing with multiple people, and even then you have to be in melee range for that to be effective.

Halo 3's movement isn't faster than Halo 4's, or at least I don't think it is. Halo 4 just has sprint.

Boltshot has to be charged, but the charge time is incredibly short. Like really really short. In fact i think it might be shorter than the plasma pistol charge time. And you can hold the charge, just not for long. There is solid amount of time from when it is fully charged to when it goes off that you can hold it for if you wish. I definitely feel that gives me a lot of control. Like I said, I usually release it manually most of the time.

At least you aren't completley deluded like some (343 dev who approved the boltshot among other players...) and you agree its OP. I just think removing its range is not enough of a fix. No player should spawn with a weapon that can take you out in one shot. Ever. No matter the range.

Sounds perfect.

Hit me up with a PM when you got something. Would be nice to have your ideas reach a wider audience. :)

Will do! I'll whip up some title graphics as well.

I'd love to read it. An ETA on when you'll post it?

Well I haven't started it yet. It'll go through some planning phases, the biggest factors are weapon art (I want it to be consistent so I'll probably have to whip up Metro, vector-styled weapon profiles) and community input given that there are opportunities for new weapons, mostly Forerunner. A few overall questions for you guys:

Would you like to see a Covenant Shotgun replace the Energy Sword, and have "Melee Weapons" and "CQC Weapons" be entirely separate power weapon categories?
This would introduce a shotgun that runs on needles, a human melee weapon (that isn't the Marathon Machete or Katana for once!), and a Promethean melee weapon. The Energy Sword and Gravity Hammer would then occupy the same weapon "slot" in the sandbox which doesn't occur anywhere else. Choosing between one or the other would just depend on map size, personal preference, and so on.

Are there any existing Forerunner or Promethean weapons in the books you'd like to see brought to life in the games?

Because of the alternate firing modes and possibility for crazy Unreal Tournament-style weapons, are there any unique properties you would want Promethean weapons to have in the future?
Feel free to get creative with this as the Prometheans only have around half as many weapons as the UNSC and Covenant sandboxes so far. More guns with wall-bouncing projectiles, healing guns, gravity guns, etc. The possibilites are endless! (But will be restricted to about 7 or 8 new slots.)

If Personal Ordnance had to make a return, would you like to see more personalized options?
This one's tricky and I don't mean getting to customize individual weapons, because dealing with Binary Rifle/Incineration Cannon/Damage Boost every time someone gets 70 points wouldn't be fun. I'm talking a Personal Ordnance Loadout with a few possible options. Examples could include "Classic" having grenades or a weapon, a weapon, and a powerup; "Weapons Only" having a melee weapon, a mid-range weapon, and a long-range weapon; and "Explosives" could have grenades, a low-tier explosive power weapon such as the Concussion Rifle, and a high-tier explosive weapon such as the Rocket Launcher.

Still think it would be amazing if we had a Far Cry like editor with LBP levels of customization.
I think we deserve it by now.

speaking of this, have any of you guys played Halo 2 CE? it's a cool mod for the xbox version of H2

Bao2q.jpg

Played it. Good fun. I still think Halo 2 was close to perfect gameplay wise. I would have preferred a wider FOV but that isn't too big of an issue for me.

That mod mixed up the sandbox in an interesting way but it was far from perfect. Also that mod had a instagib weapon like the Bi Ri in Halo 4. The needler shotgun in that mod was also a ton of fun.

I wanted to "review" Halo 4 but I feel as though that might be pointless now. Perhaps I will outline what I would have liked Halo 4 to be instead.

Played it. Good fun. I still think Halo 2 was close to perfect gameplay wise. I would have preferred a wider FOV but that isn't too big of an issue for me.

That mod mixed up the sandbox in an interesting way but it was far from perfect. Also that mod had a instagib weapon like the Bi Ri in Halo 4. The needler shotgun in that mod was also a ton of fun.

I wanted to "review" Halo 4 but I feel as though that might be pointless now. Perhaps I will outline what I would have liked Halo 4 to be instead.
A needler shotgun sounds so conceptually awesome that I'm sad it's never been implemented in any official capacity.

Zoolader

Man, I must be the only person in the US that didn't get a specialization code. Damn Microsoft.

Would have given you mine since I already bought the LE, too bad my email didn't tell me what the hell the code was for so I had used it. Maybe you can find somebody else who bought the LE and hasn't used it yet.

mr_thor

Neo Member
Would have given you mine since I already bought the LE, too bad my email didn't tell me what the hell the code was for so I had used it. Maybe you can find somebody else who bought the LE and hasn't used it yet.
Yea, they should've just unlocked it for everyone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a copy of the FUD blu-ray in the cashier line at Safeway today. Did a total double take.

GamerSoul

Man, I must be the only person in the US that didn't get a specialization code. Damn Microsoft.

There was an update posted here stating that they're working on sending codes this week to players who may have had a deactivated or old email account connected to their xbox live account. They're sending them through Xbox Live Message center , iirc. I'm still waiting for mines to give my brother who's been maxed out at 70 for like 2 weeks now. Hopefully I'll get it eventually.

Actually, someone posted the kill times for each precision weapon earlier in this |OT|:

BR: 1.8 seconds
DMR: 1.47 seconds
Carbine: 1.63
LR zoomed: 1.4
LR unzoomed: 1.8

Carbine's not the faster, but it's not the slowest if these numbers are accurate (which I believe they are).

I don't believe these are correct, at least based on some MLG frame-by-frame video I watched awhile ago. The BR was off by one tenth of a second, not 3.3 tenths. The Carbine was still the slowest, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cknUKURhc

Closer than these numbers, but still. Not the video I watched, but it's the most recent.

FyreWulff

It was actually similar to the scatter shot only it didn't ricochet as much and had an even shorter range. It was awesome.

Edit: Fyrewulff, do you have a Cap Card?

I will shortly. One sleeps then I go back to Vancouver tomorrow morning. Land, sleep, then sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll be getting a working Intensity Pro or something (El Gato?) for my machine.

Overdoziz

Banned
There was an update posted here stating that they're working on sending codes this week to players who may have had a deactivated or old email account connected to their xbox live account. They're sending them through Xbox Live Message center , iirc. I'm still waiting for mines to give my brother who's been maxed out at 70 for like 2 weeks now. Hopefully I'll get it eventually.
They should just unlock them for everyone already. It's pretty pathetic of 343 that they've let Halo become a franchise where you get locked out of content that affects gameplay, even if it's just temporarily. Sigh...

Arnie

Why would you focus your first map pack on BTB and Objective when those are the two segments of your audience that are already somewhat catered for. In the meantime I've played Halo 4 for 45 minutes and pulled Haven three times, and Adrift once. It's a travesty, to be honest.

And whilst I'm in love with the Halo gunplay at times, when I'm duking and weaving in BR battles, using grenades and melee to tip the balance in my favour, I'm repulsed by almost everything around it. That I can respawn instantly and resume killing someone I just fought, and that I know someone I kill can return fire at my within five seconds, makes me not want to persevere with this game.

Now I don't normally rage, or even at all really.

But today 343 broke me, Bobs and two others tried to do forerunner 4 player iron, we finished the first part of it easily, twice even (Bobs' might tell you why).

But then we got to the ghost part...and boy, what the fuck.

It just isn't balanced for a 4 player coop run, you need to be in perfect formation.

Fuck you 343, fuck you!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

But today 343 broke me, Bobs and two others tried to do forrunner 4 player iron, we finished the first part of easily, twice even (Bobs' might tell you why).

It just isn't balanced for a 4 player coop run, you need to be in perfect formation.

Fuck you 343, fuck you!

no u

GamerSoul

Not a fan of Abandon most of the time. Imo, it's hard to find your footing on some parts of the map.

They should just unlock them for everyone already. It's pretty pathetic of 343 that they've let Halo become a franchise where you get locked out of content that affects gameplay, even if it's just temporarily. Sigh...

My brother got his today, I just checked because we were on the topic. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

I will shortly. One sleeps then I go back to Vancouver tomorrow morning. Land, sleep, then sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll be getting a working Intensity Pro or something (El Gato?) for my machine.

Awesome. I have some stuff to send you. I've been having some IP conflicts on my network that have prevented me from being able to FTP. Hopefully I can get that resolved over Christmas break.

Can anyone recommend a good FTP client for Mac?

Akai__

But today 343 broke me, Bobs and two others tried to do forrunner 4 player iron, we finished the first part of easily, twice even (Bobs' might tell you why).

Fuck you 343, fuck you!

I didn't enjoy this part in 2 player co-op, too. I did one mistake and ended up dieing the rest of the run. Wasn't fun to watch my brother play, while I couldn't do anything...

:lol

Top Bottom