• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

The maps aren't too great either, what do you think it says that the best map is a remake? With Halos maps continuing to get worse every release I think at this point 343 should just give up and just stick to remakes. Remakes are not a bad thing!

Adrift is the best map, closely followed by Wraparound. Neither of those are remakes.

I like all the maps aside from Complex, Exile, and Ragnarok. But Exile and Ragnarok can be fixed by tweaking the vehicles. Haven is the best map in the game, easily.

edit: Also I hate Vortex

sp3000

Why justify it? I've been justifying what I don't like about Halo since before you and most people here started browsing GAF. Shit doesn't change. There's no point. All these people writing logical critiques will be ignored. 343 got their nice 9.8 from IGN which they can stick on the back of the box, they sold a bunch of Mountain Dew, Microsoft assuredly sold a ton of copies, and now 90% of the player population will leave to play Blops 2 in a few days and everyone here will sit around twiddling thumbs and complaining until Halo 5 releases. At least with Bungie there was an illusion that their games were catered to making some parts of the community happy. Halo 4 is just a cash grab at COD, designed by executives at Microsoft. Period. Multiplayer is fundamentally broken when played at anything remotely approaching a competitive level. This is not Halo. Throwing BRs and recharging shields into a grab bag of mechanics doesn't automatically = Halo.

I mean people either tell me

"Speak your mind now because there's no use in complaining after the game is out!"

or

"You haven't played it yet, you can't judge anything that you see!"

at a certain point why bother.

Not really, same thing happened during Reach. During one of the first days of the Reach beta, I said bleedthrough needs to be brought back, bloom is a dumb mechanic, pistol needs to have a larger clip and made more powerful, grenades need to be weakened, Arena would be a failure, and that the map design was a mess. I'm no soothsayer, it's just anyone with a remote understanding of what makes prior Halo games great can see the faults.

I'm not happy about people not enjoying Halo 4. When I complain about things it is because I want it to be better. This is my favorite multiplayer series and one of my favorite franchises in all of video games. Shit I played over 12,000 games of Halo 3. I wish I loved this game but I don't.

Not surprised that Frankie has totally run out of this thread as soon as the game released.

TCKaos

I have to play more dominion but I'm found me first game or two just unbalanced in terms of the teams and what they are supposed to do. Not fun really.

Some of the maps are asymmetrical in regards to equipment even without regard to Global Ordnance. On Exile one team spawns with a Gauss Hog, on Meltdown one team gets a Mantis, and on Vortex or whatever one team gets a Wraith. It makes no sense at all.

Also, why were SWAT, Grifball and Extraction not given playlists at launch? Are we just going to be given one once a week so that 343 can act like they're giving us something new and cool?

Dominion and Extraction seem kind of redundant anyway, with Dominion being King of the Hill to Extraction's Crazy King, sans turrets and shield doors. Would have preferred One Flag to Extraction seeing as Complex is blatantly built with it in mind.

DeadNames

Banned
In some ways you are right, and I don't think Halo 4's are TERRIBLE, it's just, instead of making new potentially awful maps, they should start using what is already tried and true.

While this is true, would we want gems like The Pit, Guardian, Lockout and Midship insulted with things like Jetpack/Camo?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
The maps aren't too great either, what do you think it says that the best map is a remake? With Halos maps continuing to get worse every release I think at this point 343 should just give up and just stick to remakes. Remakes are not a bad thing!

I do not think Ragnarok is the best map and the people that voting for it are mostly parties that know to control Pelican/hill and Turret to win. It is a map in which players already know how to approach it for victory, of course with how beastly the DMR is on that map it is getting the most votes in BTB.

I for one like most of the maps, with the exceptions of say Vortex and Complex.

I will say this, the majority of the maps flow better than those from halo 3 and reach. No memorable maps but they aren't bad.

TCKaos

Why justify it? I've been justifying what I don't like about Halo since before you and most people here started browsing GAF. Shit doesn't change. There's no point. All these people writing logical critiques will be ignored. 343 got their nice 9.8 from IGN which they can stick on the back of the box, they sold a bunch of Mountain Dew, Microsoft assuredly sold a ton of copies, and now 90% of the player population will leave to play Blops 2 in a few days and everyone here will sit around twiddling thumbs and complaining until Halo 5 releases. At least with Bungie there was an illusion that their games were catered to making some parts of the community happy. Halo 4 is just a cash grab at COD, designed by executives at Microsoft. Period. Multiplayer is fundamentally broken when played at anything remotely approaching a competitive level. This is not Halo. Throwing BRs and recharging shields into a grab bag of mechanics doesn't automatically = Halo.

I mean people either tell me

"Speak your mind now because there's no use in complaining after the game is out!"

or

"You haven't played it yet, you can't judge anything that you see!"

at a certain point why bother.

Not really, same thing happened during Reach. During one of the first days of the Reach beta, I said bleedthrough needs to be brought back, bloom is a dumb mechanic, pistol needs to have a larger clip and made more powerful, grenades need to be weakened, Arena would be a failure, and that the map design was a mess. I'm no soothsayer, it's just anyone with a remote understanding of what makes prior Halo games great can see the faults.

I'm not happy about people not enjoying Halo 4. When I complain about things it is because I want it to be better. This is my favorite multiplayer series and one of my favorite franchises in all of video games. Shit I played over 12,000 games of Halo 3. I wish I loved this game but I don't.

This needs to be printed on the highest quality parchment, framed and mailed to 343i's headquarters immediately. I usually didn't agree with Kyle before launch, but now that I've played the game I agree with him. It's all the more frustrating that unlike Reach under all of the new bullshit and CoD is a decent game that we'll never get to play because 343i will almost certainly never strip down the game to such an extent. At GAF customs the other day we played Halo 3 Valhalla with BRs and AR starts. It was the most fun I've had in Halo since Halo 2 died. I don't see us getting anything like that in the near future, and if we did it won't be a highly populated playlist.

sp3000

That's pretty much where I am. Only, I think the break starts pretty soon.

Also: the Halo 4 OT2 is up for grabs, when the time comes. I think my time with starting and owning Halo threads is coming to a close. I put the time into them because I was passionate about the game. I'm not passionate about this game. And the passions I do have are not positive.

You made great Halo OT's and it won't be the same without you making them.

Sorry to hear man. I don't blame you though. As I feel similar.

IHaveIce

Banned
I do not think Ragnarok is the best map and the people that voting for it are mostly parties that know to control Pelican/hill and Turret to win. It is a map in which players already know how to approach it for victory, of course with how beastly the DMR is on that map it is getting the most votes in BTB.

I for one like most of the maps, with the exceptions of say Vortex and Complex.

Agree with all of it, these are the exact reasons why Ragnarok is voted plus maybe the Mantis.

Ragnarok is in no way the best map in Halo 4.

I also agree with what maps you dislike, Complex can easily be tweaked or dismissed from some playlists and it would be good, but Vortex .. I don't know maybe I have to get into this map but it feels like it has no real flow and plays just stupid.

It reminds me for some reason of Spire, it feels like Cragmire 2.0 is Vortex Dominion

Tunavi

Banned
My favorite part is clicking friends list and compare to Tuna-veh. Makes me feel huge.
M13yG.png

edit: sorry if anyone saw that last gif, wrong imgur link

IMGUR COPY BUTTON NEVER WORKS

In some ways you are right, and I don't think Halo 4's are TERRIBLE, it's just, instead of making new potentially awful maps, they should start using what is already tried and true.

I'm sure some of these things have to wait for next generation console/Halo but...

1. Interactive maps: more terminal trains, zanzibar gates, high ground gates etc.

2. Progressive maps: more unlock parts of a map to progress through, similar to the late invasion variants from Reach but actually have more variety to each map section as well as objective parts and loadouts for each unlock too. So much potential here that just never gets realised to a full fleshed out progressive maps and environments/vehicles. Perhaps a new gametype waiting to be created.

3. Interactive progressive maps: I'd like to see maps that have moving parts, light bridges, dominion style base upgrades etc all rolled into one gametype and map. Imagine forerunner machines where parts of a map have to swing or animate into place etc. This would create dynamic map objects moving continuously and also therefore create dynamic gameplay as well. Now combine progressive unlocks with interactive unlocks and you have a unique style of play for both slayer and objective types with great variation.

4. Simple ideas that utilise the above:
4a) In action loading dock with pelicans/sabres landing and taking off.

4b) Forerunner or precursor machinery with levels and sentinels constructing the map around you or in the ahead unlock section.

4c) Ships with interactive jettison of sections during multiplayer. Imagine getting your team to safety and holding the other team back while you jettison their section of a map.

4d) Barracks where AI/NPC can be introduced to multiplayer. D-Pad for basic orders.

4e) This would also lend itself to Forge being able to have animated or interacting objects. Far and away enabling forgers to expand their potential for maps and gametypes.

I think you get the idea, keep it simple or automated but more dynamic variables for map objects and gameplay so you can play 100's to 1,000's of times and get a new experience most games.

Rev3rb

Love Haven, Adrift, and Exile

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh also great that the server thing is still not fixed for me, I deinstalled it and everything, it worked just fine yesterday and the days before.

I didn't change anything on my connection either

edit: any solutions HaloGAF? :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have decided that glitching through walls and hiding the entire match raises the skill gap and promotes teamwork. Hire me 343.

Omni

Magnets are so useless. I still don't understand why they took fine tuning out.

Plus anyone know why Ravine looks so bad? Just something I noticed. Forge World has better visuals than it, and FW was 10x bigger.

This has baffled me since this idea was mostly excluded from Halo 3 (and every game after). Think of all the maps in Halo 2 that had interactive parts which helped to keep games more interesting and fresh. The train on Terminal, the optional portal on Relic, the gates on Containment, the gate on Zanzibar, the moving conveyor belts on Elongation, etc. etc. Why are all maps now just boring and one dimensional?

I understand some of the reasoning behind more complex netcode and game objects which require they strip down the exchanged data to be as minimal as possible. However to basically lose all the interactivity seems weak-sauce if you ask me.

I too have wanted those elements to return in maps, especially objective based games.

Another problem solved by dedicated servers, you can have far more interactive maps with dedi-servers.

Karl2177

Magnets are so useless. I still don't understand why they took fine tuning out.

Plus anyone know why Ravine looks so bad? Just something I noticed. Forge World has better visuals than it, and FW was 10x bigger.

I honestly think that they just forgot to bind the stick buttons in monitor mode. Click the right stick to zoom in. Clicking it does nothing. Click the left stick for precision adjustments. Clicking it does nothing.

Ken

Do you get anything for completing DMR - Distinguished or is it just more disappointment? Noticed I'm 14 kills away from 500/500 so I guess I'll find out.

For as much shit as many of you give Waypoint, this place is really no better.

^Sounds more serious than how I'm posting it lol
I hate you all.

Top Bottom