• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Objectives with JiP is probably the worst design decision ever. Being a man down in those gametypes and then being unable to drop the flag?

tumblr_mblmzeurM31qfjldto2_250.jpg

Lack of Frank and David in this thread is... questionable.

Considering all the problems that need resolving I don't think too much of it. There's a lot that needs to be fixed and I'm not talking about our issues with game mechanics but just Matchmaking in general.

orznge

Banned
Can we get a script that just substitutes these kinds of posts with the constructive ones? It's a shame this is a way for folks to express their negative opinion.

Chess is not a great example because it's a board game that has endured for thousands of centuries, not a video game that must come out with a sequel every few years and attract new players in a dynamically changing industry.

Chess doesn't have to adapt. It's just chess. Halo does.

Trey

Chess is not a great example because it's a board game that has endured for thousands of centuries, not a video game that must come out with a sequel every few years and attract new players in a dynamically changing industry.

Chess doesn't have to adapt. It's just chess. Halo does.

You got me on the thousands of centuries bit. That was definitely an unforced error.

orznge

Banned
*50 people post straight in a row, attempting to be the most outraged at a guy who used a Recognized HaloGAF Pejorative*

zap

The game has the good connection filters built in.

They must have been turned off on my disc.

I'm assuming that the higher weighting on skill matchmaking means lower quality connection games. However, I expected that this would have been mitigated by the number of players in the pool to choose from.

TheOddOne

Considering all the problems that need resolving I don't think too much of it. There's a lot that needs to be fixed and I'm not talking about our issues with game mechanics but just Matchmaking in general.
Still, even a sarcastic remark here and there from them would be cool. Not to rain down on them or anything, I know they are busy with life, the game just launching and future stuff.

Too bad they're all using ARs and light rifles and shit.

I'm worried that because these are things they took out on purpose, they're not going back in.
The hope that I cling to is that we're still in the early days and that the "weekly matchmaking updates" will indeed bring changes where change is needed. Keep in mind one of the major alterations they made to matchmaking was to make each gametype its own playlist, and each playlist includes its own unique take on standard gameplay. Hopefully a less random style of Halo MP deserves its own place alongside the new stuff.

By the time the first map pack is released I will either love this game or play a lot more CNN.com online crosswords.

I hope we get a playlist that isn't so rigid in its skill based searching.
I want to play with my less skilled friends, but we keep getting destroyed because it is matching us against people at my skill level.
It is no fun =\

I hope we get a playlist that isn't so rigid in its skill based searching.
I want to play with my less skilled friends, but we keep getting destroyed because it is matching us against people at my skill level.
It is no fun =
Wouldn't you want more rigid skill matching then, that takes into account your friends skill when choosing fair opponents for the team?

Very odd time for Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Had some weird weapon spawns on Haven today. Got a Sword at one of the bottom drops and a Scattershot near there as well. Haven't seen those before.

heckfu

Banned
Final campaign rankings:

1>4>3>ODST>2>Reach

There is room for ODST and 2 to swap but I'm pretty confident that's where they lay.

Wouldn't you want more rigid skill matching then, that takes into account your friends skill when choosing fair opponents for the team?

Very odd time for Halo.
Yes, exactly.
From what I've seen the system uses the highest player's skill level to match to account for boosters and such...
By "less rigid" I meant that it accounts for each player's skill level, not just the highest. Less rigid, more flexible, yeah.
Sorry for the confusion.

lol my match against Walshy has 3 like and 3 dislikes. Man, people really hating on the AR.

It's a pretty easy to use - powerful - boring to fight against weapon. People are hardly going to like watching people use it lol.

I used it and camo last night for a game and got so much hate lol - I only did it once to test
It out - but so many people use it online to get a high k/d - takes away from the game significantly.

Ramirez

Game loads us into a CTF on Ragnarok where we're greeted to 2 Banshees & a Mantis spawn camping our base and they were up 2 caps. Game ended 2-2, feels good man.

I also feel weird with all of the negativity going around, I'm enjoying the game immensely, even with its problems...

It's a pretty easy to use - powerful - boring to fight against weapon. People are hardly going to like watching people use it lol.

I used it and camo last night for a game and got so much hate lol - I only did it once to test
It out - but so many people use it online to get a high k/d - takes away from the game significantly.
Bobs play some halo with me!

EDIT:
Game loads us into a CTF on Ragnarok where we're greeted to 2 Banshees & a Mantis spawn camping our base and they were up 2 caps. Game ended 2-2, feels good man.

I also feel weird with all of the negativity going around, I'm enjoying the game immensely, even with its problems...
Agreed. 4 has issues, but the backlash for them is exponentially worse than Reach ever had to endure. Regardless, i'm still enjoying the game as well.

The hope that I cling to is that we're still in the early days and that the "weekly matchmaking updates" will indeed bring changes where change is needed. Keep in mind one of the major alterations they made to matchmaking was to make each gametype its own playlist, and each playlist includes its own unique take on standard gameplay. Hopefully a less random style of Halo MP deserves its own place alongside the new stuff.

By the time the first map pack is released I will either love this game or play a lot more CNN.com online crosswords.
Their weekly updates sound promising, and it seems we're going to get more content rolled out faster and more responsively than before (incl. SpOps, obviously). Whether or not that will be enough to keep me playing this game for months to come remains to be seen. So much of it is geared toward XP rewards and levelling (I try to make Challenges about exactly that rather than the XP they give you, but...), and I've already very nearly unlocked anything I actually need or want.

Some more 'small' maps as soon as possible would certainly help.

Just beat the campaign. The final 3 levels or so just felt like a complete chore and I was happy when it was finally over. I don't know if I'm just growing out of halo

PV should only be used to find things in Polamalu's hair.

Maybe they should just let people see a waypoint pointing to the spot where the Ordnance is going to drop.. maybe even add a 5 sec timer to it like KotH.

Isn't that what the Ordnance armor mod you get with a specialization does? Yep, should've had that as a default feature if they were serious about keeping this random for launch ;[

Enfinit

Final campaign rankings:

1>4>3>ODST>2>Reach

There is room for ODST and 2 to swap but I'm pretty confident that's where they lay.

For me, it's ODST>CE>4>2>3>Reach. Love ODST so much, and 4's starting to really, really grow on me as I play it on Legendary.

Yeah it is; Halo 3 is terrible.
Bigshow dropping facts up in here.
Nearly everyone that played early has complained severely, when before it was a pristine masterpiece. The only two I have seen that haven't is Tashi and Domino.

Some complain worse than others, and Ghaleon with his last post was the most "shocking."
I'm a PAX SLRPer and I'm really enjoying the game (it's not perfect obviously).
They must have been turned off on my disc.

I'm assuming that the higher weighting on skill matchmaking means lower quality connection games. However, I expected that this would have been mitigated by the number of players in the pool to choose from.

Yeah seriously, but biggest disappointment with War Games so far is the regular and severe lag. Feels like I'm playing Halo 3 at times. I extremely rarely had lag in Reach, but that hasn't been the case in H4 so far.

About JIP complaints, personally I've yet to be put into a game, slayer or objective, that wasn't within the first minute of the game.

Finished the campaign early today. I loved it, outside of few small complaints/underwhelmed and confused about the end.

Trey

Agreed. 4 has issues, but the backlash for them is exponentially worse than Reach ever had to endure. Regardless, i'm still enjoying the game as well.

The backlash is compounded by the fact that people went through Reach, and arrive at a game that's more Reach. It's Reachier in ways Reach dare not even reach.

What Halo 4 was missing was a "Silent Cartographer" like level, heck even Reach kind of had it with "Winter Contingency".

I'd prefer a level more akin to Halo 3's "The Covenant" such an amazing big battle level with so many various combat scenarios

but the campaign definitely needed more fleshing out, especially the end, I'd say 2 levels and about 20 more pages od dialogue and it would have been amazing

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

It's easy to use when you get in range but it's not easy getting there.

And GGs tonight. Played a hilarious game of Oddball on Complex.

Ha, but I think it was one of the finest levels in the game. You could tackle it anyway you wanted.
I think the thing that sticks out most to me in that level is the busted up textureless bridge that you pass by on the Falcon. You get some choice where you wanna go first once you hop into the Warthog, but that's pretty short lived. Something that I find annoying about the level is that you can find armour lock in the encounter after the Falcon ride, but immediately after that when you're off with Jorge you get set back to sprint. What is even the point of having AAs in that game.

Enfinit

Ha, but I think it was one of the finest levels in the game. You could tackle it anyway you wanted.

That was always my go-to level for campaign challenges because I could never get the Nightfall forklift glitch to work. I could speed run the thing in 12 minutes flat.

In all seriousness, it's the most memorable mission for me (not saying that it's a bad or good mission), however I did like the expansiveness of the level. The pedestrian trucks added a level of fun and the environment was the most unique out of any level in Reach's campaign.

TheOddOne

I think the thing that sticks out most to me in that level is the busted up textureless bridge that you pass by on the Falcon. You get some choice where you wanna go first once you hop into the Warthog, but that's pretty short lived. Something that I find annoying about the level is that you can find armour lock in the encounter after the Falcon ride, but immediately after that when you're off with Jorge you get set back to sprint. What is even the point of having AAs in that game.
For the back of the box checklist, silly!

Top Bottom