• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

It's easy to use when you get in range but it's not easy getting there.

And GGs tonight. Played a hilarious game of Oddball on Complex.
Screw the AR, it's all about the Storm Rifle. Really started to feel my DMR primary, Storm Rifle secondary loadout today.
Man, the lack of maps and map selection is terrible. Only 5 maps for small games and 5 maps for big games?

Considering two playlists are for Big Team, the map size balance is a bit whack in my opinion, but the first map pack comes out next month, so assuming the DLC implementation works, that should help.

Enfinit

Considering two playlists are for Big Team, the map size balance is a bit whack in my opinion, but the first map pack comes out next month, so assuming the DLC implementation works, that should help.

Currently there are five "small" maps, used for 4v4/objective:
- Abandoned
- Adrift
- Complex
- Haven
- Solace

Then you have the five for BTB-esque playlists:
- Vortex
- Ragnarok
- Meltdown
- Longbow
- Exile

The majority of the playlists in Halo 4 are 4v4/5v5, so you'd assume that the next map pack will alleviate the needs for smaller maps. My guess is at least two out of the three maps in the next map pack will be small.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Screw the AR, it's all about the Storm Rifle. Really started to feel my DMR primary, Storm Rifle secondary loadout today.

Yea man, all the auto weapons are good now. It's weird.

Currently there are five "small" maps, used for 4v4/objective:
- Abandoned
- Adrift
- Complex
- Haven
- Solace

Then you have the five for BTB-esque playlists:
- Vortex
- Ragnarok
- Meltdown
- Longbow
- Exile

The majority of the playlists in Halo 4 are 4v4/5v5, so you'd assume that the next map pack will alleviate the needs for smaller maps. My guess is at least two out of the three maps in the next map pack will be small.

Agree, I'm hoping for two of the three to be clear small-mid size 4v4/5v5 maps.

Dear lord, can you not access your own file share from pressing start?

Speaking of ARs after finishing up 3 earlier today, I booted up some CE to get that going again. Something I realize is that I use plasma pistols very rarely in CE compared to the other games, and that's mostly because I tend to have the AR in its place. This gun is just so fucking fun to use in CE. It holds 60 bullets, shoots ridiculously quick, and I love the spasms that each shots causes on an unshielded enemy. Even whittling away an Elite's shields with it is great, with stray shots hitting walls and particle effects everywhere. It's a thing of god damn beauty. I like everything about CE so much, even the little things like the way the camera transitions from first to third person for vehicles and how you can start moving before it's fully transitioned. I like that you cock the pistol every time you take it out, sometimes I'll just keep switching into my pistol just to see the animation while I'm walking from point to point. I love these hefty grenades that nuke everything once they go off. I love the slip slidey rubbery Warthog, and I love the sounds it makes colliding into things. I also like the way it throws you out of it when you get flipped over. Hell, I like the thud of meleeing Forerunner structures. I love the radial blur on the pistol's scope, I also like the slight blur when closing in on Chief's helmet right after acquiring Cortana. Remember the night vision on the sniper rifle? I like that too. I'm playing Truth and Reconciliation and Under Cover of Night is kickin' in right now, and it's just fuckin' great.

God damn do I love CE.

Sai-kun

Banned
lmfao

these new challenges

Episode 2 is out this week and you want me to do Episode 1 again, only this time on a lower difficulty setting than you wanted me to do last week?

Cmon.

zap

Weekly Challenge:

Earn 18 Regicides in a single match.

WAT

My thoughts exactly.

If you get 15 points per regicide and you need 300 points to win... This is impossible, that's 270 points from regicides alone. So you have to die as soon as you become king? Wut

Also, so is Episode 2 out now? How do we download it?

My thoughts exactly.

If you get 15 points per regicide and you need 300 points to win... This is impossible, that's 270 points from regicides alone. So you have to die as soon as you become king? Wut

Also, so is Episode 2 out now? How do we download it?

The point is a challenge that is for a single match makes absolutely zero sense as a weekly challenge.

Not sure is episode 2 is up, just started episode 1, oh my was the dialogue in the episode video a cheese fest.

blamite

SpOps Episode 2
3 of the images for missions are the same as last week's. That better not mean they're the same locations...

Challenges ave been pretty disappointing so far. These weeklies are lame.

Shadders

SpOps Episode 2
3 of the images for missions are the same as last week's. That better not mean they're the same locations...

Surely they will be? Last week we cleared the locations so the researchers could set up their facility, this week it will be the same location, but with a research facility there? I'd be disappointed if we didn't see something happen in the locations we secured last week. Otherwise what was the point in securing them?

Omni

Episode 2 is up apparently. About to start now.

Plus two Knights working together on Legendary is pretty much impossible to beat solo without dying a billion times. Not that fun... But I guess it was designed for coop.

S1kkZ

story seems more important/better in episode 2.

not a fan of the the re-used areas, but the second mission in "cauldron" was different enough.

I have to say, I am kinda disappointed by Spartan Ops being largely recycled areas from the campaign. Or that episode 2 only has one new area, technically. I was under the impression that Spartan Ops would be all new locations.

I've made a Team Slayer gametype and a Haven map variant that are available in my file share. No waypoint fileshare atm.

Team Slayer Traits:
-Regular movement
-Radar
-BR/2FR/Magnum start (easily add the DMR, I just made it invisible on the loadout screen)
-No killcam
-Only kills are worth points
-50 points to win (kill=1 point)
-No AAs
-No Support/Tactical Packages
-Edited spawns
-Static weapon spawns

Weapons on Map:
-Beam Rifle (top-mid)
-Sticky Detonator (bottom-mid)
-Human Shotty (top right looking from light side)
-Sword (top left looking from light side)
-Frags
-Plasma nades
-Pulse nades
-DMR
-Carbine
-BR
-Boltshot

Power weapons are on a 2-3 minute timer (depending on the weapon). Nades/primary/secondary on a 60-90 sec timer.

I'd like to test it and edit weapons, placements, etc with people who are interested.

No idea how to get rid of forced spawns. Perhaps you can edit an objective mode like flag and hid the objective part.

-Played the first two chapters of episode 1 of Sp Ops. Fun stuff, definitely tuned for co-op I think, played Heroic solo and it was actually semi-challenging, unlike the campaign ("normal is the new heroic" lol).
-Played a game of SWAT. It's still SWAT for people that like it.
-Is SWAT a rotational or permanent playlist?
-I can't look at my kills by weapon breakdown for War Games matchmaking, just by gametype. Ship it™

Nirvana

This thread is going in a somewhat...Waypoint direction it seems. Lots of complaints that are generalising contextual issues and many that will likely be fixed when they update the playlists.

I have my qualms, but there's a lot of negativity going on in here, especially less than a week after launch. I think most of the complaints I've seen can be remedied with some new playlists with altered settings and more gametype specific maps.

Sure, it wont all be rainbows and puppy dogs, but at the moment everyone is confined to Infinity Slayer, Slayer Pro, BTB and CTF; all of which have their issues, most of which could be remedied with some alteration to the maps or settings.

I think once we get some more maps and playlists, this will be a really stellar Halo game.

In the mean time, can't we all just realise that not too long ago we were playing Reach....

Purplemage

Neo Member
I am actually having a decent time with 4, although I'm not nearly as addicted as I thought I would be. I actually went back to Reach for a few games with a friend that doesn't have 4 yet. And now I know I'm in the very small minority that really loved Reach so me enjoying that game isn't surprising.

What is surprising is that most are making comments along the lines of "4 has more Reach in it than Reach had" but for whatever reason I'm just not enjoying the game as much as I think I should be. I noticed a couple days after release that my interest just isn't all there. Maybe I got myself too hyped.

S1kkZ

loved episode 2 but if we dont get brand-new areas in the next episodes, it could become a real problem. i dont want to play sniper alley a third time.

Shadders

18 Regicides..

I'm struggling to see how possible this would be.. surely you'd very quickly become king and have not be able to rack up any more Regicides?

18 Regicides..

I'm struggling to see how possible this would be.. surely you'd very quickly become king and have not be able to rack up any more Regicides?

Just commit suicide! It adds to the immersion! KDs are an archaic stat tracking element anyway and there's no real way to monitor skill because people will sell their high KDs.

feel

I've been busy so I haven't been reading, did you guys hate the game this much since the first couple of days or did the hate set in like after 5 days or so when it was no longer a fresh experience? I'm enjoying Halo 4 right now, but I practically just started playing seriously this weekend, I hope I'm not despising it in a couple of days. It probably helps that I stopped caring so much about Halo and all the questionable design decisions don't phase me, I just instaspawn when killed and pew pew pew again without giving a fuck.

Shadders

I've been busy so I haven't been reading, did you guys hate the game this much since the first couple of days or did the hate set in like after 5 days or so when it was no longer a fresh experience? I'm enjoying Halo 4 right now, but I practically just started playing seriously this weekend, I hope I'm not despising it in a couple of days. It probably helps that I stopped caring so much about Halo and all the questionable design decisions don't phase me, I just instaspawn when killed and pew pew pew again without giving a fuck.

I think a lot of people started to hate it when TrueSkill kicked in and they weren't romping to victory every match.

TheOddOne

So the levels of episode 2 Spartan Ops are the levels out of episode 1 but backwards.

tumblr_m9f9laz5bJ1rpae6q.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
I think a lot of people started to hate it when TrueSkill kicked in and they weren't romping to victory every match.
To be fair, problems in a game become more apparent the moment you play against good players. Just like how Reach is fun when stomping on bad players but outside MLG it's horrible to play competitively against decent players. So in a way I'm actually kind of happy that trueskill didn't work out well in Reach, otherwise I would've definitely stopped playing it earlier. Halo 4 is frustrating for me even when playing against bad players though. I feel cheated by the game too often for me to enjoy it much.

Everything I dislike about it I disliked straight away. Everything I like about it I liked straight away. Nothing has really changed in my head in six days, except that growing feeling of loneliness while playing.

Also after six days my K/D is still ~1.7 and I'm still going positive in the double figures on the reg, so I don't think it's TrueSkill making me feel ambivalent!

S1kkZ

So the levels of episode 2 Spartan Ops are the levels out of episode 1 but backwards.

come on...

combat and encounters are handled in a much better way than in episode 1.

i just hope they use more stuff from campaign in the later episodes but with more changes (different time of day for example).

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm not too big of a fan of the encounters in Spec Ops. Seems like they just throw a shitload of enemies at you all the time without much thought behind it. Episode 2 is still a step up from episode 1, though. On a related note: The marines in the third level being invincible until the halfway point was pretty lame. I had given 5 of them Rocket Launchers and Fuel Rod Guns and we were blasting through all the opposition but once they could actually take damage they all died within a minute. So much for a rescue operation.

Pop

Challenges are also buried in the UI. Just discoverd it yesterday :lol

Buried?

You literally press start and flick your thumbstick upwards. Not too hard eh

Never in my life have I've seen so much whining and complaining these past pages when a game isn't catered to the individual. Only on GAF.

TheOddOne

Buried?

Never in my life have I've seen so much whining and complaining these past pages when a game isn't catered to the individual. Only on GAF.
Poor choice of words, but they should have atleast pointed it out the first time you enter War Games.

Buried?

Na buried is finding how to watch films from your temporary history. Took me 3 days to realize it was possible.

Omni

Spartan Ops was disappointing. Haven't watched the CGI yet as my internet is capped, but the levels were pretty sad... Adding some crates and making us do the same missions as last week backwards isn't exactly what I was expecting.

Top Bottom