• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

yeah but that's more on the "cheating" end of the spectrum imo, whereas in launch Arena, for months, the optimal strategy was to sometimes sabotage your own team lol

True. I see a lot of shit about playing as a team, making it harder to succeed as an individual but then they make games about all these rewards and carrots on a stick. And when it comes to winning being the biggest motivator to level up it seems like it's an after thought. Well people want to do that anyway don't they? Not when you basically make it secondary to other things. The player base in a lot of these games just want to acquire stuff, get their achievements and fuck off.

Should be an hour ban for quitting. No exceptions. Shitty connection? You're shitty connection makes the game worse for others gtfo. Emergency? Go deal with the emergency.

Should be a loss in credits that way they can make up for drops. Banning just seems like it never works right.

edit: Ricken your link exemplifies why I stay the hell in here.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
reach is better.
uTTuo.gif

orznge

Banned
100% serious.campaign and enemy design seems a lot more inspired and multiplayer is less of a clusterfuck.

I too believe a game in which the designer's intent literally was to reduce the amount of certainty in what situations arise as a result of player choice is "less of a clusterfuck"

harmonize

I said this shit would happen.

Ya'll didn't believe me.
This is just the fucking beginning.

I can guarantee without a reasonable doubt, that within a months time, somebody else on this exact page will decree that Reach is better than 4.

I have said it, it will be done.

Gray Man

Banned
http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-4/Engineer I found this part of the listed quote from Ellis interesting...

You might get lucky and get a rocket launcher, and you might be fortunate enough to have that SPNKr drop a mere feet from your location. In the event something good is falling from the sky, the Engineer’s Drop Recon armor mod provides an advantage. “A couple extra seconds before everyone else sees the [drop] coming down, the Engineer is gonna get a heads-up,” Ellis says.

So... is this saying that its meant to be less competitive by design? Getting "lucky" just doesn't sound very fair for the other team who is really trying hard to win, and winning.

Ken

I still don't understand how people don't think Halo 4 is the best halo campaign to date. it was incredible

I don't know man. It made Ghaleon not want to do Halo OTs anymore so it must have been bad.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-4/Engineer I found this part of the listed quote from Ellis interesting...

So... is this saying that its meant to be less competitive by design? Getting "lucky" just doesn't sound very fair for the other team who is really trying hard to win, and winning.

It's the random drops that make it balanced.

orznge

Banned
"We, over the course of a decade, literally could not come up with a single mechanic for team-based multiplayer gameplay other than having weapons spawn out of the sky into random locations and a wallhack with a cooldown."

orznge

Banned
it probably looks ridiculous how I use the word "literally" every other word but to me, so much of what happens in Contemporary Game Design is beyond unbelievable I feel the need to make absolutely certain that I am speaking about reality

Gray Man

Banned
I don't know man. It made Ghaleon not want to do Halo OTs anymore so it must have been bad.

It's the random drops that make it balanced.

Don't get me wrong, the whole idea of weapon drops sounds good, but making them random just means they can't ever be balanced.

Today I ran out of ammo for both my DMR and Stormrifle. I LITERALLY had nothing left but my fists. I spent the next 3 min of the game trying to find ammo without dying. Its a HUGE problem.

"We, over the course of a decade, literally could not come up with a single mechanic for team-based multiplayer gameplay other than having weapons spawn out of the sky into random locations and a wallhack with a cooldown."

Halo 5: Guns that wallhack as well.

Tawpgun

So after playing some games tonight.

Boltshot needs to get the fuck out from loadouts. The thing is a headshot capable mauler. Ellis himself said 343 believes power weapons are anything that can kill you in one shot...

J10

Banned
90 right here as well

I still don't understand how people don't think Halo 4 is the best halo campaign to date. it was incredible

Halo 2 was my favorite campaign story wise, Halo 3 my favorite gameplay wise. I'd say this campaign lies somewhere in the middle there. It's very solid, enough that I've already played through it three times.

Trey

Still fun.

zap

You search the person you want to compare on the right. It's max 2 menus deep.

It's not intuitive. Why should I bring up my friends list? That same symbol is on the Waypoint homepage, so I just assumed they had the same functionality.

Then you have to search, click their name, then click compare and it comes up in a tiny box on the far right of the screen.

Their UI design on everything is abysmal. Even you can't defend that, surely.

orznge

Banned
Don't get me wrong, the whole idea of weapon drops sounds good, but making them random just means they can't ever be balanced.

Today I ran out of ammo for both my DMR and Stormrifle. I LITERALLY had nothing left but my fists. I spent the next 3 min of the game trying to find ammo without dying. Its a HUGE problem.

adapt

def sim

Being punished for doing too well is a silly thing, yeah. It's pretty much a requirement to have the ammo and firepower proficiency load out ready.

Ken

So after playing some games tonight.

Boltshot needs to get the fuck out from loadouts. The thing is a headshot capable mauler. Ellis himself said 343 believes power weapons are anything that can kill you in one shot...

If you're close enough to get one-shotted by Boltshot I think you're too close.

Being punished for doing too well is a silly thing, yeah. It's pretty much a requirement to have the ammo and firepower proficiency load out ready.

If you emptied your DMR killing people, you should be drowning in ammo.

Trey

That's happened to me on a few occasions. I usually hop in a vehicle or pick up some piddly weapon and go with that.

Now I make sure to pick up an enemy's weapon after is dispatch them. If I can afford to, of course.

Tawpgun

Dude was camping a lift with it. His own personal shotgun. You round the corner and BAM either you're dead or your shields are gone.

Booshka

Halo 5: Guns that wallhack as well.

Shadowrun's netcode + Teleport makes you think guns wallhack in that game, and there already is a wallhack ability lol. I still love its netcode for the shot registration and relative smoothness, but getting shot through a wall is pretty ridiculous and hard to get used to. I'll take it over people eating shots though, fuck that shit.

4v5 the whole time was great... really.

Matchmaking is a mess right now and I have no patience for something as stupid as "both teams should start CTF with 5v5" not being the rule.

The moment they get evenly matched teams to start every game and update Slayer Pro with classic weapon spawns and non-instant player respawn, this game's MP will become my favorite in the series. I doubt they will do that because it's such an obvious set of tweaks and if 343 were ever going to put them in they would be in by now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Too bad they're all using ARs and light rifles and shit.

Matchmaking is a mess right now and I have no patience for something as stupid as "both teams should start CTF with 5v5" not being the rule.

The moment they get evenly matched teams to start every game and update Slayer Pro with classic weapon spawns and non-instant player respawn, this game's MP will become my favorite in the series. I doubt they will do that because it's such an obvious set of tweaks and if 343 were ever going to put them in they would be in by now.

I'm worried that because these are things they took out on purpose, they're not going back in.

Top Bottom