• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Computron

BTB does not feel like BTB anymore. Its all about camping small corners and not sticking your head out. Also, vehichles are now a joke, with the exception of the ghost.

Wait what?

32eP6.jpg

They got rid of everything we were complaining about in the playlists. I need to make a Scumbag Davidge meme.

HALF THE MUSIC IN THE GAME ISN'T ON SOUNDTRACK

HALF THE MUSIC ON THE SOUNDTRACK ISN'T IN GAME

He's giving us lossless downloads and 320kbps bonus tracks though, and it's all being done with a full orchestra and Bulgarian choir... I'm so conflicted. It's like high school all over again.

Gray Man

Banned
32eP6.jpg

They got rid of everything we were complaining about in the playlists. I need to make a Scumbag Davidge meme.

HALF THE MUSIC IN THE GAME ISN'T ON SOUNDTRACK

HALF THE MUSIC ON THE SOUNDTRACK ISN'T IN GAME

He's giving us lossless downloads and 320kbps bonus tracks though, and it's all being done with a full orchestra and Bulgarian choir... I'm so conflicted. It's like high school all over again.

They had two soundtracks released with Halo 2, they might end up doing that with 4?

malfcn

Anyone else have weird co-op campaign things happen?

A buddy and I were running through today. We were just given the hardlight shield, no explanation. And then we would lose abilities when we died. Then randomly we would have things like the turret or vision and sometimes the shield again.

Omni

Anyone get the sense that
the focus on the Chief's humanity, combined with the loss of Cortana, the speech at the end and Chief stripping down, implies that the Master Chief will not be in Mjolnir in Halo 5.

From like 9 pages back, but I want to comment.

From the start of Halo 4, it's quite clear that MC is just a machine - there is close to no humanity left in him at all. Hell, when all of those people are 'composed' on the 7th level he doesn't care at all. As the game progresses and he loses Cortana, he realises that soldiers aren't just machines; they're humans (Loved Lasky's line at the end)

Throughout the series we've been playing as a guy in a suit who shows no emotional involvement at all. The ending cutscene where MC gets his armour taken off is to signify that he's starting to accept his humanity - that there's more than him than just a mindless drone doing what he's ordered to.

At least that what I think. I love the progression of MC's personality in this game.

Plus reading that 343i are working on fixes to some of the problems already makes me happy (Again from like 10 pages back.. haha)

daedalius

Had some good games tonight, ran into one other full team that was definitely full of solid players.

Trueskill or whatever they are using definitely seems to be working better than it ever did in Reach.

Also wow, the Halo 4 Artbook is incredible. John Liberto is literally my new art hero; totally going to do some exploration based on his technique.

Ramirez

I didn't play much of Halo 2 on Live, I'll admit, but this game is incredibly buggy.

All that needs to be said. Halo 2 was complete and utter trash for first half of its life span, getting a game where you weren't standbyed after a certain level was like winning the lottery.

Havok

Had some good games tonight, ran into one other full team that was definitely full of solid players.

Trueskill or whatever they are using definitely seems to be working better than it ever did in Reach.
That one game that we didn't steamroll the other team doesn't mean much when the other 20 games were total blowouts in our favor. Skill matching is still a joke for the most part.

Computron

No, right since it began. CTF and Assault (obviously not instant arm) were million times better for gametypes in BTB.

Look, what we are just going to have to come to terms with here is that your opinion is wrong and that mine is correct and move on with our lives. :p

Halo 3 BTB was halo at its finest for me. So many great maps coupled with balanced vehichles and an awesome BR that was designed to not shut down map movement completely. Reach and 4's DMRs are the worst in context of BTB for this reason. And 4's vehichles are a joke. I don't even know why anyone would use them past 1 minute into a game of infinity slayer.

But I will agree that 8v8 ctf is amazing in the older games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If there is a TU for this game and I mean this seriously: I hope we get new MM music, because this drowning sound wears on me.

All that needs to be said. Halo 2 was complete and utter trash for first half of its life span, getting a game where you weren't standbyed after a certain level was like winning the lottery.

My favorite part of Halo 2 was figuring out who should host the pregame lobby and what order people should come in the room due to others being booted once they entered.

Tawpgun

So, thruster is slower than sprinting in MM, unlike in campaign.

What is the point of it again?

Honestly, the only point it serves is drastic re-direction mid-air. Use it in a strafe, and on your 3rd or 4th shot, jump to one side and mid air thrust the other.

It should work like it does in campaign but oh well.

Right now its pretty useless.

dalVlatko

So is the heatmap of Slayer on Abandon entirely focused on the middle or is there an actual strategy to playing that map?

I actually switched to the assault rifle half way through the game and gave up entirely on doing anything else because everyone was just jumping to the middle. I felt like I was watching preview footage on gametrailers of some random journalist playing.

daedalius

That one game that we didn't steamroll the other team doesn't mean much when the other 20 games were total blowouts in our favor. Skill matching is still a joke for the most part.

I though the matches on the space station and ragnarok weren't too heavily biased in our favor, we still won though.

Omni

BTB does not feel like BTB anymore. Its all about camping small corners and not sticking your head out. Also, vehichles are now a joke, with the exception of the ghost.

I know that feel. All I played in Reach and Halo 3 was BTB, but in Halo 4 Infinity slayer is just god awful. There's no cohesion at all... It's just who can get 3 kills (doesn't even have to be a spree... and I'm pretty sure assists add to this too) to get instant access to some OP Promethean weapon.

There's no incentive to leave camping areas at all now. Start of the match in any other Halo game and you'd have people rushing to rockets, splaser, sniper... etc. None of that matters now because of how easy those weapons are to get. And the fact that friendly fire is turned off really tells you what kind of players BTB is catered for in this game.

DeadNames

Banned
I know that feel. All I played in Reach and Halo 3 was BTB, but in Halo 4 Infinity slayer is just god awful. There's no cohesion at all... It's just who can get 3 kills (doesn't even have to be a spree... and I'm pretty sure assists add to this too) to get instant access to some OP Promethean weapon.

There's no incentive to leave camping areas at all now. Start of the match in any other Halo game and you'd have people rushing to rockets, splaser, sniper... etc. None of that matters now because of how easy those weapons are to get. And the fact that friendly fire is turned off really tells you what kind of players BTB is catered for in this game.

Wow... This makes BTB feel kind of dead and hollow... Never thought of it that way.

FyreWulff

My favorite part of Halo 2 was figuring out who should host the pregame lobby and what order people should come in the room due to others being booted once they entered.

yup my clan had the dedicated bridge person that everyone could connect to so they always had to make the lobby

edit: not bridge as in bridging, but a person (B) who for no apparent reason could connect to person A and C at the same time, even though A and C couldn't join each others parties if they created them

If there is a TU for this game and I mean this seriously: I hope we get new MM music, because this drowning sound wears on me.

Add the Reach Beta menu music

orznge

Banned

lol me and my friends just ended up using commview to force host and canceling back to the lobby if we heard the hard drive

yup my clan had the dedicated bridge person that everyone could connect to so they always had to make the lobby

high five

Redford

aka Cabbie

It's funny because there are three Wargames menu tracks, but the first one takes about 8 or so minutes to finish so you'll never hear the other two.

Am I the only one who likes the main menu music?

No? The main menu music is okay, once you get past the first track it gets even better.

Computron

Yup.

Wow... This makes BTB feel kind of dead and hollow... Never thought of it that way.

BTB feels dead and hollow alright. Map movement was everything in Halo 3 BTB and the BR's range effectively ensured you were always on your toes and devising new tactics as the game progressed. Even when you weren't playing objective gametypes, your base felt like it meant something (Especially if you were locked in by the other teams control of the warthogs, as on Standoff) and expanding outward all but determined the outcome of each game. Valhalla was amazing in this regard, you could break your enemies setup by sneaking up from behind the hill or by sneaking through to their base on a mongoose, stealing their weapons along the way. I find myself

In Halo 4, all the weapons just come to you or you spawn with them. I had thought that spawnning with a plasma pistol would be problematic, but it seems like there are even bigger problems that preclude this since the warthogs and banshees are useless.

Also, on the topic of friendly fire, I was pissed when I saw the video where teammates stick eachother's mongeese with a sticky launchers and go suicide bombing only to end up completely unharmed.

Dominion might turn out OK in terms of map movement on some medium sightline BTB maps if they nerf the ordanance or delay it toward the end.

Ragnarok BTB might be good in 4,5 or 6v6 contexts, but I haven't seen it show up in MM.

I just want to play on Ragnorock with 3-5 second spawn, map based weapons and loadouts that do not include DMR (Although, maybe leaving a couple on the map).

Computron

So, all my framerate issues are gone now.
It only effected the first day, I wonder if Halo 4 did some weird caching or downloading for spartan ops that might cause the problem?
Thats a wild guess, I don't have any basis for that one.^

Jetpackers getting on top of the mid structure in Abandon is fair...

Jetpacks didn't really bother me in Reach for some reason, (probably because everyone picked sprint in the playlists I played, or the maps where large and wide open enough that they weren't a problem) but in Halo 4 they are really annoying when combined with the DMR.

The problem is, I don't know what armor ability to pick other than jetpack, because all the others seem pointless.
Having sprint at all times only makes the jetpack problem worse, too.

I guess I will go and try the thrusters again...

OverHeat

« generous god »
Finally tomorrow I will be able to play H4, I'm going back home! Still wondering if I'm gonna dive in MP first or play the campaign. I was reading the last few pages and I hope I won't be disappointed.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Finally tomorrow I will be able to play H4, I'm going back home! Still wondering if I'm gonna dive in MP first or play the campaign. I was reading the last few pages and I hope I won't be disappointed.

I'd recommend campaign first. I really enjoyed it.

Computron

Campaign and Spartan Ops if thats your thing. MP needs a TU.

Seance

Banned
Posted this in the Halo 4 OT:
So much potential for the multiplayer, this game could be better than Reach and 3 with some fixes.

First: Instant respawn. Combined with sprint it results in very poor gameplay. Killing an enemy only for him to instantly respawn and provide immediate fire is bad enough, but for an enemy to instantly respawn in your line of sight to finish you off immediately is all but game-breaking.

Second: Ordnance. Personal ordnance should be limited to certain weapons like SAW, needler, speed, OS, Sticky det, scattershot and shotty. Its totally unfair when the other team is given the option for damage boost/sniper weapon and you aren't.
More importantly however is the global ordnance. Not only does it spawn in seemingly random locations, but it spawns a random weapon at random times. Global ordnance needs to be predictable to facilitate map flow and motivate players to set up and control key points of the map.

Computron

^nice, i agree.

wass the deal with your DMR scope though?
Is MP really that broken?

I have had several matched where the ordanace system was broken and players would steal my weapons before they even come down on my screen. I have had two matches where I stepped inside a green bubble shield thing and the reverb sound lasted the whole rest of the game. Sound in general has been weird, where vehichles, footsteps and weapons sometimes cant be heard, although I can clearly seem them being produce. The nade glitch and the bolt shot glitch. JIP has problems with party splitting. Insta-spawn breaks certain smaller maps. Oh and the tuning for a lot of playlists feels really beta.

Top Bottom