• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just adding on to what you said. Good gameplay is important but so is the story. Why settle for one or the other when you can have both? Halo 4 had neither.
I think too many people place too much importance on having a good story. It's a videogame first and foremost. A game. The most important thing you can do is have fun. If you're looking for a great story, read a book or watch a TV show or movie.

Kyle said the Halo campaigns needed a "fundamental" refresh, you responded and said we hadn't had a good story since Halo 2, implying story was most important. I'm not saying you can't have both, but what's paramount is good gameplay.

Fuchsdh

I think too many people place too much importance on having a good story. It's a videogame first and foremost. A game. The most important thing you can do is have fun. If you're looking for a great story, read a book or watch a TV show or movie.

Kyle said the Halo campaigns needed a "fundamental" refresh, you responded and said we hadn't had a good story since Halo 2, implying story was most important. What's paramount is good gameplay.

I don't think Halo campaigns need a "refresh", what works and what doesn't is in every previous game. It's a matter of figuring out what works and putting it together in a cohesive whole.

rakka

monsterfracas said:
Overall counter is still broken and in the 67k range, but individual playlist numbers are different and changed from last time I checked. They added up to 44k. There's no way to be certain, but it's interesting if true

individual playlist pop counts were also stuck so if they're changing that's awesome. could you check Team slayer count? was stuck on approx 6000 and also anniversary, was stuck on 1400.

edit: Also, walking around Reach MP maps now, and I really miss 3D skyboxes
the campaign levels too. may not have all the shine and lighting halo 4 has but bungie pulled off some amazing stuff.

Master_JO

Banned
What do you guys do when ur team mates betrays u over the sniper? An idiot betrayd me 3 times in a row by driving over me. What the fuck is going on with this game? first I have to put opp with the laggy shit servers all weekend, And now I dont even get the option to boot the player who betrays me. This is by far the worst fucking halo game( beside reach )
Am gonna post here every fuckin time I have a shitty day on this game. Which will be alot I guess. So for now am gonna say this:
FU MS for approving Halo 4 without a beta.
FFU 343i for Halo 4
FFFU Bungie for Reach. U r the one who startet the whole mess.

I don't think Halo campaigns need a "refresh", what works and what doesn't is in every previous game. It's a matter of figuring out what works and putting it together in a cohesive whole.

I wasn't necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with what Kyle said, but by and large, when it comes to weighing story and gameplay, my philosphy is this: You can enjoy a game with good gameplay and a bad story, but you can't enjoy a game with a good story and bad gameplay.

rakka

What do you guys do when ur team mates betrays u over the sniper? An idiot betrayd me 3 times in a row by driving over me. What the fuck is going on with this game? first I have to put opp with the laggy shit servers all weekend, And now I dont even get the option to boot the player who betrays me. This is by far the worst fucking halo game( beside reach )
Am gonna post here every fuckin time I have a shitty day on this game. Which will be alot I guess. So for now am gonna say this:
FFU 343i for Halo 4
FFFU Bungie for Reach. U r the obe who startet the whole mess.

fuck fuck fucking fuck fuck ?

Fracas

#fuckonami
FFU 343i for Halo 4
FFFU Bungie for Reach. U r the obe who startet the whole mess.
what
individual playlist pop counts were also stuck so if they're changing that's awesome. could you check Team slayer count? was stuck on approx 6000 and also anniversary, was stuck on 1400.

the campaign levels too. may not have all the shine and lighting halo 4 has but bungie pulled off some amazing stuff.
Team Slayer's at 9339, and Anniversary's at 1424

Crazyorloco

Cross post. they're re-starting the Spartan ops episodes over, I'm finally going to start playing it...

Is there a way to put the difficulty up to legendary in Spartan ops matchmaking? I don't see an option to change the difficulty.

Whoa, Reach has a TU. 2 MB.

Did you delete anything from Reach? I just hopped on for a second and wasn't prompted for an update.

I edited my post, but I don't think anyone noticed.

Overall counter is still broken and in the 67k range, but individual playlist numbers are different and changed from last time I checked. They added up to 44k. There's no way to be certain, but it's interesting if true

edit: Also, walking around Reach MP maps now, and I really miss 3D skyboxes

Super Slayer population numbers have been the same for a while now - 614. Doesn't seem to have been updated.

TCKaos

There should be a medal for being the best player in the game and ending up on the losing team.

I don't think Truskill recognizes that three shit players and one good player don't make for four decent players. It makes for three shit players and a good player.

LD2k

Neo Member
Cross post. they're re-starting the Spartan ops episodes over, I'm finally going to start playing it...

Is there a way to put the difficulty up to legendary in Spartan ops matchmaking? I don't see an option to change the difficulty.
They just bumped it up to Legendary this week, I believe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There should be a medal for being the best player in the game and ending up on the losing team.

I don't think Truskill recognizes that three shit players and one good player don't make for four decent players. It makes for three shit players and a good player.

I look at the score, which makes me feel better. But this only ever happens to me on SWAT. I am often the third best on the winning team, or first on the losing team.

So basically the thruster AA with invincibility frames?
In the future, I'd prefer the Thruster being a Promethean AA instead of any more teleportation bullshit. Nothing more infuriating than weakening a Knight only to have it teleport to the other side of the map with it's back to you. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to have their idea-sharing capabilities demoted.

Also hate the fact that by the time you can tell if a Promethean has a Binary Rifle (an orange face circle was the best you people could come up with, really?), it's almost always too fucking late. Especially in the laggy Spartan Ops, you never see it coming.

*sigh*

I really don't like constantly bitching about this game, and I wish I could find more that I enjoy about it. My 60 year-old mother-in-law has Halo 4 in her Amazon wish list (I've played several of the previous Halo campaigns with her), and I'm honestly hesitant to even get this for her. What a bummer.

TCKaos

I look at the score, which makes me feel better. But this only ever happens to me on SWAT. I am often the third best on the winning team, or first on the losing team.

Seems about where I end up. I don't seem to get to be the best on the winning team too often, but I'm almost never the worst or second worst on the losing team. It just kinda' takes the wind out of your sails when you get almost ten more kills than any other player in the game, opening up avenues of attack and opportunity, and your team still manages to fumble in to a loss.

Still got 26 kills, so that's nice. I'm also enjoying the hell out of this Shielding/Explosives/Regeneration thing I've got going. Has nice synergy for not dying.

malfcn

tl5HD.png

I like that idea. I lost on the bottom team.

Nope, you're stuck with Heroic in matchmaking.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just got Witcher 2 and Syndicate used with a gift card, any thoughts on those two games? I wanted to get dishonored and specops the line, but dishonored was still 44 dollars and they didn't have specops.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just got Witcher 2 and Syndicate used with a gift card, any thoughts on those two games? I wanted to get dishonored and specops the line, but dishonored was still 44 dollars and they didn't have specops.

Syndicate is decent, but try to get co op partners if you can.

Also don't feel bad about Spec Ops. The storytelling is really nice, but other than that it's a mediocre TPS.

TCKaos

Hmm, sounds like something I should try.

It was in a video I saw yesterday. Walking on the border of your regen field with shielding makes your shield come back incredibly fast - like nearly instantaneous if you strafe right on the border. This can fuck up a great deal of your shots because of how disorienting it is to have clear and then blurry vision so rapidly. Explosives make it so that you take less damage from grenades and other explosives, which you'll probably be getting your fair share of if you're using a regen field.

I think the question doesn't really have enough options. I'd like to watch Halo 4 if the loadouts were consistent like in 2/3, but with the personal ordnance I've been seeing in streams recently (AAs, powerups, good power weapons). That'd be really fun to watch for me. Would lead to some cool dynamics in matches.

rakka

it's an awesome feeling when you had a -14, -13, and -9 on your team but still managed to win the match because you kicked ass. sucks when you lose though, which happens too often, seems like I'm almost always matched up with players who shoot their own feet against full orgnanised parties lol

My GOTY (360)
Very much story driven, and one of the best combat systems I've experienced. Also, Roche is your bro.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Syndicate is decent, but try to get co op partners if you can.

Also don't feel bad about Spec Ops. The storytelling is really nice, but other than that it's a mediocre TPS.

Yeah, I just wanted to play it for the story, I heard it's a good one. I imagine Witcher will keep me busy for a while, maybe by the time I'm done Halo 4 MP will be better.

My GOTY (360)
Very much story driven, and one of the best combat systems I've experienced. Also, Roche is your bro.

Thanks!

it's an awesome feeling when you had a -14, -13, and -9 on your team but still managed to win the match because you kicked ass. sucks when you lose though, which happens too often, seems like I'm almost always matched up with players who shoot their own feet against full orgnanised parties lol

FKq29.gif

FFU 343i for Halo 4
FFFU Bungie for Reach. U r the one who startet the whole mess.

...is your name supposed to be Master Jackoff?

I wasn't necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with what Kyle said, but by and large, when it comes to weighing story and gameplay, my philosphy is this: You can enjoy a game with good gameplay and a bad story, but you can't enjoy a game with a good story and bad gameplay.

We know that Halo has fun gameplay. Halo just needs fun encounters to make the gameplay shine. Halo 4 didn't have that. Halo 4 was just hallway after hallway of enemies. Things have to be mixed up for fun. Other halo games accomplish this well.

The Silent Cartographer is one of the best examples of constantly changing up the context of encounters. Storm the beach. Bam. Beach secure. Time to explore this island and find the cartographer. Warthog recon mission. Bam. Suddenly you are in a building. Locked door. Time to explore the island's center on foot. Hunters. Door unlocked. Back in the building. How big is this building it keeps going down. Got the map. Time to get out of here. I have to fight back up to the surface. Oh no sword elite. On the surface time for extraction. Lets go find that control room.

Halo 4 just has this. Oh no something bad has happened. Let me go press the button.

JHall

I honestly think that 343 care.

I do as well. If I put my heart and soul into creating something that I truly believed in, then only to have it's population go into free-fall and people bashing the said product on a daily basis. I'd be wondering what I could have done to deliver a better experience.

Halo games need to go back to being simple. Halo CE, Halo 2, hell even Halo 3(even though I don't like the game) was relatively simple.

I played Infinity and Reclaimer solo legendary last night for the first time.

What the hell are you guys complaining about?
Exactly. People want a challenge for Legendary (which it sadly is not), but looking at their surroundings for weapons is too much effort. Makes no sense.

Never had an issue with running out of ammo on Legendary, not sure who made that up.
About 50% of the people in this thread who try it... That's why I called it a myth. Its a widely held belief but just plain not true.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Exactly. People want a challenge for Legendary (which it sadly is not), but looking at their surroundings for weapons is too much effort. Makes no sense.

To be fair, most of them are used to being able to pick weapons off the ground, in Halo 4 the boogie man swipes them the minute you look away.

BigShow36

I know you 343 guys can feel good just by knowing you did well, but me personally? I need some text popping up on the screen, a +score number, a medal and an announcement in order to know I did well and enjoy the game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is golden, Frankie from 343 claiming that just looking at the scoreboard is good enough for him to feel good. You sure you don't need some text popping up on the screen, a +score number, a medal and an announcement telling you how good you should feel?

To counter your post he also doesn't need a visible rank. Also he's talking about after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom