• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

J10

Banned
There is no list of changes they could make to get a hundred thousand people to come back - changes that, according to the wants of forums posters, essentially entail undoing a huge chunk of the game - a feat that is in many respects probably technically unfeasible, and largely counter to their commitment to their "vision." It makes more sense that they try to keep the ones they still have. That means the populations will continue to be shit and we have to wait for Halo 5 to see if they learned anything.

Blueblur1

343 needs to sit down and reevaluate everything they are doing, have done, and plan to do.

It really shows that they don't "get" Halo multiplayer. I imagine their hired hands are almost all folks that understood how to put together a Halo campaign and a working multiplayer mode but they clearly don't understand why specific things worked a specific way. Such as why weapon unlocks were not part of the Halo formula even in a post CoD world (I'm referring to Reach and Bungie's wise decision to omit that crap). Or that basic abilities such as picking up grenades off corpses should be available to all players. Or that timed weapon spawns had a purpose in giving maps a certain flow and flavor (something that wacky global ordnance does not provide; the maps are basically a blank template with that shit in place).

I honestly think that they're nearly all casual Halo fans that never considered the ramifications their changes to the game would have. And we shouldn't be surprised. When you pull in people from all over the industry that spend hundreds of hours working on games and playing most others casually (when compared to people like in this thread that know the ins and outs of said franchise), you will probably not find a GhaleonEB, a kylej, a Havok, or anyone else like the intelligent posters we have here among that group. I thought we had that with David and Frankie but it's evident that they really don't get it. (Unless they do but office politics prevents them from voicing their opinions because they're not multiplayer leads.)

You know, if the trend from past playlists continues, we might see Team Objective make a resurgence.

King of the Hill was sacrificed because SWAT was so popular.
Oddball might be sacrificed because Forge Test might be so popular.
CTF is being sacrificed to make way for Infinity CTF (lulz).

Could this be the return of Team objective with Oddball, CTF, and KOTH in one list?

You're making way too much sense

Redford

aka Cabbie
I can't imagine they're NOT disappointed with where things are at the moment. I mean, Microsoft wanted to make sure 343 were in a position to deliver a solid Call of Duty competitor and get the brand dominating the charts again. The amount of money spent to go after that and try to deliver something where people across the board say 'HALO IS BACK' and then pull the numbers they're pulling so soon after release has to be disappointing. I can't imagine 343 not having some sort of reevaluation process moving forward.

I hope so, barring whichever exec did up the powerpoint that led to this game keeping their foot on the brakes.

Feels like they crewed their focus group exclusively with butthurt Bnetters that complained all during 2007-2009 about brigs and generals... it seems to be so ideologically and somewhat contemptuously driven at this point

I guess this is what we deserve.

Come on, man. Actual people made this game, not just an entity that you insult until it does what you want. Opinions are fine, but wanting them to fail?

Err, I don't think he's suggesting they will fail in any way that will affect them as employees providing for their families, just failing with the community.

Fotos

iRK7YmkAuNlgM.gif

A quick poll:
What is - for you - the best thing about Halo 4?
(It can be overall, or specifying, this in campaign, this in multiplayer, this song of the OST, etc)

The song 117... Arguably the best Halo song ever.

Havok

I'm pretty ambivalent about the bulletin info. I'm in no rush for skill ranks. I'm excited to be getting Doubles finally. The sound of "Infinity CTF" is setting off red flags (pun!) for me. And I won't mind the Forge beta list being removed if Simplex, Scythe, and the Lockout remake are integrated into the other playlists (crossing my fingers).
I believe this is the plan in a couple weeks, according to this tweet.
You know, if the trend from past playlists continues, we might see Team Objective make a resurgence.

King of the Hill was sacrificed because SWAT was so popular.
Oddball might be sacrificed because Forge Test might be so popular.
CTF is being sacrificed to make way for Infinity CTF (lulz).

Could this be the return of Team objective with Oddball, CTF, and KOTH in one list?
Depends on how well Extraction holds a population. If it behaves like every other capture-and-hold playlist, it'll be down to 3-5% total population within a few weeks, cannibalizing Oddball in the process. I've said it before, but a Team Control playlist makes sense, because it's a catch-all for a very specific style of gameplay that requires the same very specific map style. Then you integrate whatever nonsense Infinity CTF ends up being into the CTF playlist and rename the current CTF to something else (I'm liking "Still-Mediocre CTF," myself, abbreviated to SM CTF to continue their insane naming tradition), integrate Dominion into BTB because they are equal levels of Heavies stupidity, and then you have room for permanent SWAT, Snipers, Doubles, Grifball and all core gametypes are still in matchmaking. Even if they still aren't super great.

Tzeentch

Will they really notice anything? With all the LE and Map Pass money already collected...
Microsoft will expect a reasonable conversion rate from non LE and Map Pass users. That's highly unlikely to happen if the rock-bottom Crimson DLC population is any indication.

Combined with extreme decline in online activity across the board, the MS bean counters are going to be asking some hard questions regarding Halo 5 and Halo 4 support. They made a lot of boxed game sales that justifies keeping the studio around for now, but their next Halo project (Halo 5 or a Spartan Ops spinoff) could break them. Remember that MS wants a franchise that can make them money outside of console game space - toys, books, posters, Mountain Dew cans, gamer good-will that rubs off on the XBOX brand in general, etc. If people abandon the franchise that money and good will goes away.

orznge

Banned
iRK7YmkAuNlgM.gif

A quick poll:
(It can be overall, or specifying, this in campaign, this in multiplayer, this song of the OST, etc)

the insane posts that it got people to make defending some of the dumbest mechanics I have ever seen added to an arena FPS

TCKaos

Weekly reminder that this weeks bulletin didn't have any news about the File Sharing system that should have been functioning at launch, as it had in 2007 and 2010 on games with smaller teams and smaller budgets.

wwm0nkey

I wonder what Frankie and Ellis think when they read this thread.

I don't know but someone over at 343 is still latching onto the idea that all the changes made were a good thing for some reason even though the population is pretty fucking awful right now for a reason. I don't know who, but I don't like them :mad:

TCKaos

Probably something like "Some of these people have some decent ideas, but Microsoft is keeping us on too tight of a leash to implement the interesting or reasonable ones. A pity. I'll do what I can with what we have, but I'm not a miracle worker."

Goose. Egg. Gold.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I hope that article about Bungie/Destiny tomorrow doesn't disappoint.

That Nintendo Direct delivered hard though. Nintendo has me pretty impressed.

It really shows that they don't "get" Halo multiplayer. I imagine their hired hands are almost all folks that understood how to put together a Halo campaign and a working multiplayer mode but they clearly don't understand why specific things worked a specific way. Such as why weapon unlocks were not part of the Halo formula even in a post CoD world (I'm referring to Reach and Bungie's wise decision to omit that crap). Or that basic abilities such as picking up grenades off corpses should be available to all players. Or that timed weapon spawns had a purpose in giving maps a certain flow and flavor (something that wacky global ordnance does not provide; the maps are basically a blank template with that shit in place).

I honestly think that they're nearly all casual Halo fans that never considered the ramifications their changes to the game would have. And we shouldn't be surprised. When you pull in people from all over the industry that spend hundreds of hours working on games and playing most others casually (when compared to people like in this thread that know the ins and outs of said franchise), you will probably not find a GhaleonEB, a kylej, a Havok, or anyone else like the intelligent posters we have here among that group. I thought we had that with David and Frankie but it's evident that they really don't get it. (Unless they do but office politics prevents them from voicing their opinions because they're not multiplayer leads.)

Ding ding ding. I know for a fact that there are people there who know, love, and understand Halo MP as it should be.

Tzeentch

Either they thought they had the right formula and are now wandering in the desert, or it's a "not my job" situation and the studio heads don't care about random internet forum peons. In any case they have LinkedIn profiles to update and meetings to organize about synergistic attitude-oriented intranets and how they will seamlessly maximize a Halo 5 design task-force to leverage brand awareness through cooperative marketing structures with Doritos and Ford.

The barrier to entry for a community like High Speed Halo is now ridiculously high for people who aren't invested enough to buy a capture card (a post from the man himself explaining why it's such a huge deal).

Blue Ninja's Views from the Edge would be similarly frustrating to continue.

Tyrant's Mythic tutorials would require a lot more work to do at the same quality bar he was producing them at.

Feature parity is incredibly important when entire communities are built around it.

Also this from RC Master, one of the major speed runners.

Didnt realise the theatre was this important to some people. Thanks for these

Ordnance, global and personal, appear to be the most complained about addition to the game, yet they're adding Infinity CTF. I do not understand.

In my defense, she said she wanted something like this since before we got together. We've been dating for 6 years (since freshmen year in high school). I don't think it has anything to do with me not pleasuring her adequately, and she openly said that, but I'm still baffled at what to think. Should I be excited or questioning my manhood?!

We're getting our jobs replaced by machines, man. You better step up your game unless you want to walk in on her fucking a Sentinel.

lmao your hand doesn't count heckfu

6Zb0ZFw.png

iRK7YmkAuNlgM.gif

A quick poll:

Loadouts.

My impression on "Infinity CTF" was that the CTF we have right now is Infinity CTF, and nonexistent classic CTF is... well, classic CTF. Worst-case scenario I see Infinity CTF being the new CTF playlist, but Team Objective or Team Doubles having Community Forge Test CTF in its listings.

Top Bottom