• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Karl2177

I look at this concept art and my brain registers pure exploration.

No Covenant to be seen, just beautiful open landscapes. The way the level Requiem started had me so pumped. It set up the best exploration scenario possible. You've crashed, you are alone, and you are on a new world. You can explore the immediate wreckage area and find some hidden goodies, good sign! You follow a narrow path, the music begins to kick in, a blinding light comes through the end of the narrow passage. As you come over the crest, the music hits it's peak and you are presented with an astonishing view of Forerunner architecture. It floats, and moves dizzily into the clouds above. You find a Warthog; now it is time to really explore. You drive through some more narrow passages, hoping that the next area opens up to an expansive view with a wonderful new world to fully explore. You hit another crest, here we go! There are Covenant scattered throughout the small valley ahead, and they have already fortified the area.

ugh...

Until you get in the Warthog and it makes a loud noise drowning out everything with any semblance of sound.

I saw that pic and was thinking, hey I think I took that...<3

Memories. I liked much of ODST at the time, but in hindsight it was better than I gave it credit for. Still fizzles out a bit at the end, but it was a pretty remarkable game. If I had to pick my favorite Halo moments in the series, the nighttime streets of New Mombassa would be very high on the list.

Exploration and Halo go together so well. Among my disappointments with Halo 4 is the lack of that feeling (especially after the art and promises of lots of exploration).

I look at this concept art and my brain registers pure exploration.

No Covenant to be seen, just beautiful open landscapes. The way the level Requiem started had me so pumped. It set up the best exploration scenario possible. You've crashed, you are alone, and you are on a new world. You can explore the immediate wreckage area and find some hidden goodies, good sign! You follow a narrow path, the music begins to kick in, a blinding light comes through the end of the narrow passage. As you come over the crest, the music hits it's peak and you are presented with an astonishing view of Forerunner architecture. It floats, and moves dizzily into the clouds above. You find a Warthog; now it is time to really explore. You drive through some more narrow passages, hoping that the next area opens up to an expansive view with a wonderful new world to fully explore. You hit another crest, here we go! There are Covenant scattered throughout the small valley ahead, and they have already fortified the area.

ugh...

100% agree.

That's the price of the graphics.

IMO it's not worth it. At least not for this hardware.

The story and how it was told was very well done, but the encounters and level design are subpar.

At first I was going to agree, but then I remembered H:CEA

halo-combat-evolved-anniversary-xbox-360-review-0.jpg

18f1424e-e1bc-4ede-8d80-152d169def78.JPG

Moa

I would pay many an internet high five if someone was to make a gif showing the same button press in all of Spartan Ops' locations in a loop.

I've just asked Nowise to run through some Spartan Ops missions and record himself pressing all the buttons, will make a gif soon.

I'm with you. I thought Halo 4's campaign easily ranked 2nd or 3rd in the series; I loved it!
This was my initial opinion too until replays really compounded how unfun prommies were to fight for me, and it's not like they were exactly rare encounters either. Encounters that would initiate right past doors that locked was another weird thing where it seemed there was no cover and I couldn't go back to a safe zone.

Karl2177

The story and how it was told was very well done, but the encounters and level design are subpar.

Even then, a story was very well done. Not every story that they were telling. The story of the Librarian and the Didact was largely shoehorned into the terminals(which were subsequently shoehorned into Waypoint). There's a story that was started in that cutscene that was never finished unless the player went into the terminals. You can look at the last 3 Bungie Halos and see how the additional content(terminals, audio logs, datapads) to see how it should be done. Make a story that adds to the main story and is completely auxiliary. It would be a different story if the Librarian had never shown up explaining stuff to Chief; It wouldn't be a part of the main story then.

The story that they did well was Chief/Cortana, and even then the ending felt very forced and incredibly odd.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why do you guys wants to explore? To look at virtual rocks and water? Seems pointless to me... If there was something worthwhile like an ability (as in the metroid or zelda series) then exploration would make sense. But in Halo? Nope

I liked Halo 4's campaign, but in a lot of ways it was a disappointment. The levels were far too linear and short, some things that were once dynamic fights were static (See the lich which is basically a scripted scarab). Also the pacing of the campaign was strange, the game starts to open up in the fourth and fifth levels then you go back to corridor shooting. For Halo 5, I'd like to see more open environments again with more ways to approaching a given situation. I think they nailed the atmosphere and gunplay, now they need to open things up a bit. I'd like to see levels like Assault on the Control room again.

Why do you guys wants to explore? To look at virtual rocks and water? Seems pointless to me... If there was something worthwhile like an ability (as in the metroid or zelda series) then exploration would make sense. But in Halo? Nope
More approaches to encounters. Maybe I can find a vehicle or a particular weapon, maybe I can find a better vantage point that completely changes how an encounter plays out. Just something that makes it feel like I'm doing something more than going through a tube. Hell, even outright breaking the level and going out of bounds somewhere can be fun.

IHaveIce

Banned
I felt that if you didn't read the books, the campaign didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yep my friends basically said after the campaign : "ok, Ice you are the nerd .. what was all of this shit."

ANd even with the books some stuff was pretty weird.. I answered "Honestly.. on some parts I don't know"

The voice acting was better and there were many good approaches, but they failed to make it exciting in many parts, the whole "build up" for the Didact was a joke in the end.

And again I have to say... were are the other Spartan 2's.. you would think the best soldiers would be on the most important ship of the UNSC. :(

Because sometimes you can tell a story just by throwing a player into an expansive environment, filled with great details and sights to see. You don't always need the action...

6 Month after The new phoenix incident.

Promethean Hive Mind inside New Phoenix has opened 2 portals to requiem which is delivering constant reinforcements. Promethean Hive Mind is readying an assault on earth working outwards from New Phoenix. Large Anti Air shields have been set up.

Buck's ODST squad and a second Squad lead by the rookie are dropped into the city at either end. Over the course of the game you taking on the role of various members of each squad must fight your way into the city destroy the portal generators and then the Promethean Hive mind.

Except half way into the game one squad gets pulled into the portal and ends up on requiem. Their story has them trying to hail the infinity and evac with the other squad having to destroy the intelligence on their own.

ODST 2 Ship it?

Since we are talking MP:
1) Get rid of stopping power. I am a spartan in armor not a guy in the jungle. If you get 2 people shooting at you you basically can hardly move.
2) Why are people wanting DMR and Light Rifle for loadouts in the new playlist? Battle Rifle starts and buff that shit to be a 4sk. I
3) DMR - Increase Strafe and leave it a 5sk. Have it be a weapon on the map.

rakka

More approaches to encounters. Maybe I can find a vehicle or a particular weapon, maybe I can find a better vantage point that completely changes how an encounter plays out. Just something that makes it feel like I'm doing something more than going through a tube. Hell, even outright breaking the level and going out of bounds somewhere can be fun.

reminds me of EMPing the falcon on winter contingency and just flying around, landing on the other side of the broken bridge, etc. or even flyin around new Alexandria, club arrera with its Easter eggs especially, and the objectives not in fixed order. or landing on halo in CE

halo 4 campaign while enjoyable feels very linear. hardly any exploration or freedom whatsoever

Nowise10

You serious? That is legitimate criticism, not "hating". Did you find 343 delivered on the exploration promised both verbally and through concept art?

We all have ideas for an amazing campaign and how we think it should play it. Only in a perfect world would that happen.

And only in a perfect world would CONCEPT art be fully be created ingame.

Lol please

Because sometimes you can tell a story just by throwing a player into an expansive environment, filled with great details and sights to see. You don't always need the action...
Exactly. Enjoy all the little things. After completing the campaign, why not venture beyond your objectives? Otherwise it becomes a boring chore. Halo 4 shoving those kill barriers down our throats.

Moa

Since we are talking MP:
1) Get rid of stopping power. I am a spartan in armor not a guy in the jungle. If you get 2 people shooting at you you basically can hardly move.

I'd prefer to keep stopping power, it is a good balance to Sprint, especially considering it is permanent.

6 Month after The new phoenix incident.

Promethean Hive Mind inside New Phoenix has opened 2 portals to requiem which is delivering constant reinforcements. Promethean Hive Mind is readying an assault on earth working outwards from New Phoenix. Large Anti Air shields have been set up.

Buck's ODST squad and a second Squad lead by the rookie are dropped into the city at either end. Over the course of the game you taking on the role of various members of each squad must fight your way into the city destroy the portal generators and then the Promethean Hive mind.

Except half way into the game one squad gets pulled into the portal and ends up on requiem. Their story has them trying to hail the infinity and evac with the other squad having to destroy the intelligence on their own.

ODST 2 Ship it?

Ship it.
w/ a Master Chief cameo

Finished my legendary solo last night. Just noticed:

The Eggheads that were wiped out on installation 3 were composed so they are probably in the same place as the people from New Phoenix. I wonder if the Composer running against the ring while Cortana is on it can mean she was cataloged? The Librarian might have done something to her similar to Chief, she does mention them both as being the culmination of all their hard work.

I didn't think it was crazy hard although the crawlers get fucking annoying after awhile. The Knights are a poor enemy, not hard just sponges. I pretty much used the sentry whenever I could find it. Later levels I kept a Saw and IC or binary rifle and kept switching them for regular weapons and using them for the Knights.

By the way, for Halo 5. Let the doors open behind you and stop having weapons disappear from the map especially at checkpoints.

I felt that if you didn't read the books, the campaign didn't make a whole lot of sense.
I disagree! The problem of the campaign is the Librarian cutscene. The explanation of hers is confusing to the player. The game gives the player way too much information in such a short time.

What is happening in the Librarian cutscene:
  • what are the Prometheans
  • Didact's goal
  • The Forerunner-Human war
  • Space jesus
  • The reveal of the Composer

That stuff was tried to explain to the player in 5 minutes. Impossible.

Toa TAK

Banned
I disagree! The problem of the campaign is the Librarian cutscene. The explanation of hers is confusing to the player. The game gives the player way too much information in such a short time.

• Didact's goal
  • Space jesus

I think some of that stuff should've been left up to the player or MC/Cortana to figure out on their own. An info dump is boring, but if the characters had figured it out on their own, through story or through terminals/audio flies/etc, the information revealed would've been more satisfying.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/27/life-after-epic-getting-to-know-cliff-bleszinski-exclusive-interview-part-three-his-opinions-on-shooters/

Part 3 in a Dan Hsu - Cliffy B interview. In this part Cliffy talks about all the shooters he has played recently. Really good stuff.

Cliffy B. will revive the arena shooter and imagine if it's with Halo..

Bleszinski: It&#8217;s possible to say anything about any franchise that you don&#8217;t like as long as you mention what you do like because then it comes from an honest place. It&#8217;s the same thing as, &#8220;Oh, hey, I like your hair, but I&#8217;m not so big on the boots,&#8221; and then she&#8217;s like, &#8220;Oh, man, he doesn&#8217;t like my boots, but he likes my hair.&#8221; It&#8217;s just basic communication, right? As opposed to just saying, &#8220;Your guns are shit!&#8221; and then people are like, &#8220;Wow, you&#8217;re an asshole.&#8221;

HaloGAF take some notes please.

-EDIT-

@unknown
I'm on my phone and for some reason, that link isn't loading. Did he really mention bringing back arena shooters? Some fast-paced, high skill FPS games could really put the genre back on the eSports map.

My bad, was talking about my dreams of replaying Unreal Tournament GOTYE again :b

Not anything specific in the article.

• Didact's goal
  • Space jesus

Yeah, for me, this part was absolutely brutal. There were so many times in H4's campaign that I thought to myself, "This is awkward. It doesn't feel like a Halo campaign to me."

There was little mystery, which is what I loved about Halo: CE. I think I had better theories about the Forerunners when I was 12 than the 'facts' we've been learned by 343 and their adult, professional writing team.

@unknown
I'm on my phone and for some reason, that link isn't loading. Did he really mention bringing back arena shooters? Some fast-paced, high skill FPS games could really put the genre back on the eSports map.

Finished my legendary solo last night. Just noticed:

The Eggheads that were wiped out on installation 3 were composed so they are probably in the same place as the people from New Phoenix. I wonder if the Composer running against the ring while Cortana is on it can mean she was cataloged? The Librarian might have done something to her similar to Chief, she does mention them both as being the culmination of all their hard work.

I didn't think it was crazy hard although the crawlers get fucking annoying after awhile. The Knights are a poor enemy, not hard just sponges. I pretty much used the sentry whenever I could find it. Later levels I kept a Saw and IC or binary rifle and kept switching them for regular weapons and using them for the Knights.

By the way, for Halo 5. Let the doors open behind you and stop having weapons disappear from the map especially at checkpoints.

The Suppressor works wonders against them, even on LASO.

Honestly, I kind of like how 343 at least somewhat toyed with player expectations when it comes to the Knights. Yes, they can be bullet sponges, but only with the wrong equipment. There are many viable alternatives though.

And to chime in on the ODST talk:

I loved it, personally, but one thing really bothered me: The implementation of the (fantastic) music. (This goes for Halo 4 as well, but in different ways.)
Specifically, what I mean is that after each flashback, two things would happen: A) The covenant attacks you, resulting in frantic action. And B), hauntingly beautiful music starts to play. This simply didn't mix well! And the worst part: Most times after I was done with the killing, the music was over as well! So I was left wandering the streets in complete silence - which isn't that bad considering the ambient sound, of course. I still consider it poor implementation though.

The Suppressor works wonders against them, even on LASO.

Honestly, I kind of like how 343 at least somewhat toyed with player expectations when it comes to the Knights. Yes, they can be bullet sponges, but only with the wrong equipment. There are many viable alternatives though.

I thought Knights were mostly easy to dispose of on Heroic and Legendary thanks to the boltshot and sprint.

We all have ideas for an amazing campaign and how we think it should play it. Only in a perfect world would that happen.

And only in a perfect world would CONCEPT art be fully be created ingame.

Sure, but it was the result of how 343 conveyed the information. They were rather misleading when they talked about the exploration aspect, and then paired that with the concept art trailer.

Thanks for the article Tashi, very interesting read. Cliff Bleszinski is the man.

Another thing I always thought Halo could use from Gears was the spotting feature:

gears-of-war-3-20110428052950558-000.jpg

If you want to balanced the DRM you don't add more fucking bloom. You lower the aim assist and increase the player strafe. Of course none of thats going to happen, so whatever. If they ever do make any balance changes, I'm sure it will be just another asinine, backwards way of avoiding the real issue. Making weapons random and frustrating is the worst way possible to "balance" things.
Everyone should be repeatedly slapped in the face until they understand the above post.
Seriously though how would you guys feel about the DMR being an on map weapon rather than a spawn weapon?
Creates the same issue as AR vs BR starts. You essentially have starting utility weapons that serve the same role, just one is better than the other.

Disagree. Almost all narrative about the Didact and the Librarian was hidden in terminals leaving nothing but "derp ancient evil wants to destroy you just cause" in the actual game, humanity shows and does classic Halo by being a bunch of one-dimensional idiots, Covy politics is not covered at all they just start fighting you, and Librarian makes Chief invincible god mode something something predetermined destiny to be the shit.

The Chief and Cortana stuff was well done though, until the awful cheesy and makes no actual sense ending.

Cinematography is great, dialogue is solid, and voice acting is as well, so it's presented pretty well, but the actual narrative content is very lacking in my opinion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know what could potentially be good? ODST Ops. Stop laughing for a moment, hear me out for a second. Imagine narrative filled, open world based, weekly episodes. Every week there will be one new huge location (City based, alien world), with missions scattered around you can do at your leisure (Which trigger more action oriented sections) and some small side mission (Codecs, side stories). Base the mission structure and enemy placement like ODST and build from that. Now, you can laugh again.
I'm not even sure if 600 people working on this could feasibly get you that amount of content weekly. New city every week? You're pretty much asking for a better ODST (the game) every week.

Top Bottom