• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Plus, F2P mp with a bunch of DLC would require the creation of new assets. It makes the most sense to just sell the game as is and pull in as much cash as possible.
I see where you are coming from, but that does not necessarily mean they need to release a Halo title for launch. Halo 2A would be great launch title, but if MS feels they do not need a Halo title to meet their hardware sales numbers for this year I could see them skipping a year.

If they use Halo 1 -3's multiplayer, they could chop that all up. Give you Valhalla or Blood Gulch for free along with default armour and gun skins. Give each gun a few skins each, charge per skin. Same with armour, charge per armour. Charge per level.

Plenty of money to be made and fans can just pick what they want too. Only want Valhalla and The Pit and Recon? Just buy those. Plenty of game are going FTP, especially multiplayer and I think Halo would be prime for it.

You could easily have a FTP Halo re-using existing content and piece-meal out the release of said content and literally have a "new" game on the market, with a steady income, with a ton of features, tons of players and not have to create any new assets at all for like 2-3 years.

How many maps are available for Halo games on the 360? That is a shit ton of content you can re-package and sell.

CEA is the best looking game on the 360 IMO.

I was cautious to make such a claim for a remake when first playing through it, but I gotta say that it at least feels amazing. The atmosphere, the colors, the art style, the graphics, the sounds.. The Halo combat that is evolved.

Feels good. Needs more.

Tunavi

Banned
Wat!?!?!? WUT!?!?!?!!!!?
Star Wolf?
I was cautious to make such a claim for a remake when first playing through it, but I gotta say that it at least feels amazing. The atmosphere, the colors, the art style, the graphics, the sounds.. The Halo combat that is evolved.

Feels good. Needs more.
Not talking graphical power, I mean art style, colors, etc.

When you get to the control room corridors and the sentinels are using their beams against covenant forces, plasma grenades goin off everywhere, snow falling outside the doorway. jaw dropped, oh lawd.

TheOddOne

buddies-disgusted.gif

CEA is the best looking game on the 360 IMO.

If they use Halo 1 -3's multiplayer, they could chop that all up. Give you Valhalla or Blood Gulch for free along with default armour and gun skins. Give each gun a few skins each, charge per skin. Same with armour, charge per armour. Charge per level.

Plenty of money to be made and fans can just pick what they want too. Only want Valhalla and The Pit and Recon? Just buy those. Plenty of game are going FTP, especially multiplayer and I think Halo would be prime for it.

You could easily have a FTP Halo re-using existing content and piece-meal out the release of said content and literally have a "new" game on the market, with a steady income, with a ton of features, tons of players and not have to create any new assets at all for like 2-3 years.

How many maps are available for Halo games on the 360? That is a shit ton of content you can re-package and sell.
What would the actual multiplayer be? The engine I mean. In that, what are your custom options? Weapon sets? Balance? It just seems like too much effort for what is rehashing old content. Hypothetically cool, but I would never see it happening. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they just used Halo 3 as the "base" Halo game this gen and kept dumping map packs, but that clearly wasn't in the cards.

Fire Dani.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've been playing God of War III and Killzone 3 lately.

Boggles my mind how good these games look. Who needs next gen, it's already here.
name some better looking 360 games, its 8 year old tech, jesus

Not counting performance? Crysis 2 by a mile.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What if Halo Wars 2 is a 720 launch title? Fits into yearly release schedule, non-343i team working on it probably for a while now, good way to keep the Halo brand presence early on, etc.

I really don't see that working. It would be too much work to redo everything. Plus, the Halo 1 PC pirates and demo players indicate that the majority of people only want to play Blood Gulch 24/7 rather than actually spending money on the game.

Overdoziz

Banned
fuck you overdoziz, you tryhard.
No, no, no, we don't edit out stuff like that!

Seriously though, most of the environments, textures and structures in CEA are a bit too overdesigned for my taste. In combination with the out-of-place models from previous Halo games the game just looks a bit odd in places. The lighting looks amazing though, especially during The Library.

What if Halo Wars 2 is a 720 launch title? Fits into yearly release schedule, non-343i team working on it probably for a while now, good way to keep the Halo brand presence early on, etc.

With SmartGlass integration? Halo Wars promoting that for RTS console games like they did with simplying for the control scheme?!

Microsoft please. DO SOMETHING!

Havok

name some better looking 360 games, its 8 year old tech, jesus
The Witcher 2, though its original PC version kind of craps on everything else out there.

I like CEA as a whole, but between the framerate hiccups, the weird additions to the Forerunner style that don't really mesh with the visual style of the original, the backwards steps they took with damage feedback on shields, and the addition of bright lights in previously moody areas, I can't say that I'm in love with most of its visual flair.

Also, that sniper rifle reticule. Guh-ross.

I really don't see that working. It would be too much work to redo everything. Plus, the Halo 1 PC pirates and demo players indicate that the majority of people only want to play Blood Gulch 24/7 rather than actually spending money on the game.
Yeah, as much as map packs split the online base could you imagine it on a map by map basis?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Making a new game from scratch takes quite a while. That's why I think a port is more likely - ie H2A.

Fuchsdh

Not talking graphical power, I mean art style, colors, etc.

When you get to the control room corridors and the sentinels are using their beams against covenant forces, plasma grenades goin off everywhere, snow falling outside the doorway. jaw dropped, oh lawd.
No doubt the job they did on relighting the environments is incredible.

I liked the look of CEA as a whole, but yeah the shield feedback was busted. Also other gripes like bullet decals looking like they punching through paper, ugly Forerunner doors, texture pop-in, and that damn botched sniper rifle crosshair.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Not much work at all, compared with developing a new game from scratch. The majority of the assets and content already exist.

If people want to sit in Blood Gulch all day, let them. That's how F2P games work. The majority of people never spend a penny. Some people spend a few bucks here and there. and tiny fraction spend thousands and thousands on the games.

The majority of people could never spent a penny on Halo and they'd still be rolling in cash.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Making a new game from scratch takes quite a while. That's why I think a port is more likely - ie H2A.
I wouldn't put it past one of MS' many newly-formed studios having worked on it for a while.

Though that would contradict with the closing of Ensemble (RIP) and all. They're probably not interested in RTS' for a while, but I can see a Halo XBLA game or something being prepped for launch.

Not much work at all, compared with developing a new game from scratch. The majority of the assets and content already exist.

If people want to sit in Blood Gulch all day, let them. That's how F2P games work. The majority of people never spend a penny. Some people spend a few bucks here and there. and tiny fraction spend thousands and thousands on the games.

The majority of people could never spent a penny on Halo and they'd still be rolling in cash.
Consider the following: why would people want to pay for maps that no one plays? The way F2P FPS games usually work is through cosmetics and convenience like Tribes and TF2. Tribes lets you unlock weapons faster (but lets you grind it out for free) and get different skins, TF2 lets you buy weapons (instead of getting them randomly dropped or trading for them) and different hats and such. The TF2 model works for it because people dump fat stacks on keys to get rare hats for status.

In either case, they work because you get all of the actual game for free.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That'd be as bad as getting Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube launch. It's like the distant stupid cousin of the game we actually want.

If this news is true, I think the next few years will end up being one of these three possibilities:

2013-Halo 1-3 rerelease on PC
2014- H2A
2015- H5

or

2013 -Halo 1-3 on PC + Halo Expansion/Spinoff on 720
2014- H2A
2015- Halo 5

or

2013-H1-3 on PC + H2A on 720
2014-Halo 5
2015-Halo Spinoff/Expansion

The latter 2 possibilities seem the most likely but the first seems like it would be the best scenario.

Two things come to mind:
The Xbox 360 was released without a Halo game at launch in 05, and didn't get a proper title until 2 years later in 07.

There has been a Halo game released yearly since Halo 3 in 07 (early 09 for Halo Wars, late 09 for ODST) why would they stop now?

--

I'd like for Halo to be split in two. One "rolling"/"episodic" release, similar to the model that MMOs or games like Minecraft or TF2 use, where they have a single release that is constantly refined with a focus on multiplayer, SpOps, with expansion packs, map releases, etc. Go nuts with the progression, unlocks, classes, loadouts, etc. I'm talking like Shadowrun meets Planetside 2 type deal. Just go all out with that. Lot's of room for innovation there. Call that Halo: Infinity, have it be downloadable, $40-60 initial release, or hell, even F2P, with paid expansion packs, subsidized by Xbox Live Gold for the service.

Then, have the mainline Halo trilogy be the more focused title that is released once every 2-3 years. This is Master Chief. Classic, more focused and deliberate Halo, building upon Halo 2 and 3's foundation. This is the blockbuster hit.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If this news is true, I think the next few years will end up being one of these three possibilities:

2013-Halo 1-3 rerelease on PC
2014- H2A
2015- H5

or

2013 -H1-3 on PC + Halo Expansion/Spinoff on 720
2014- H2A
2015- H5

or

2013-H1-3 on PC + H2A on 720
2014-Halo 5
2015-Halo Spinoff/Expansion

The latter 2 possibilities seem the most likely but the first seems like it would be the best scenario.

I'd say the third. Makes sense if the 2015 is F2P -gives them time to make assets for it maybe, and even to have it on both platforms - PC/Durango.

HTupolev

I attacked CEA when it came out for completely dropping the ball on nailing the original style. And even in terms of the two games in and of themselves, I'd pick the original running native in a heartbeat as long as I have an SD CRT to play it on. Still an unbelievably good-looking game, and it's a pity it looks (and sounds, to an extent) so awful on current hardware.

That said, CEA is in and of itself still very pretty. I'm not sure I'd place its aesthetics ahead of Bungie's 360 titles, especially given how much more cohesive they are. CEA is a game which in my memory makes me want to think it's far better-looking than it actually is; it's like I have more nostalgia for it than for the original game, because every time I go to play CEA I'm all "I guess that's decent" and then I power up my oXbox and it's "yep, still easily one of the best-looking games ever made."

Top Bottom