• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Anyone know why I can't view or post on any of the forums on Waypoint? I'm pretty sure I haven't been banned... I only have like 6 posts, none of which I think are any where near ban-worthy.

All I see is this:

YefzYRJ.png

I can view only News and Feedback, but can't post in either, unless I reply to someone directly. There is no button for me to reply to a thread. I like to lurk some of the sub forums there, especially the story one for speculation :(
I don't even know who to contact since I'm not really active and have no idea who moderates.

Gordon

So that was interesting. Played a couple matches of Doubles Pro and had a blast - didn't do amazing or anything, but I enjoyed myself. Then Infinity happened. Could there possibly have been any more railguns falling from the sky? One guy on the other team had one the entire game. Every time I'd come around a corner, blam. Even jumping all the time he was popping my shields and DMRing me over and over. Just silly. Then the other one dropped a SAW, while packing hardlight shield, and presumably the ammo perk. And it was Haven, so I respawned in the worst possible spawn zones, spawning on the same spawn point four or five times in a row each time. Just brutal. Can we just say Infinity is a BTB thing yet? It's really cool and all, being able to drop ordnance, and build a custom character, and pick from like a million guns, but I mean.. that's kinda like Invasion, with the whole storyline behind it and the crazy weapons and AAs and stuff.

Infinity = 12-16 players?
Halo = 2-10

Anyone know why I can't view or post on any of the forums on Waypoint?...
It's working normally for me. What's your username? I'll see if I can find anything.
Never mind - now it logged me out that I've gone to click on a thread, and I can't log back in. Just keeps sending me to the login screen.

Now I'm back in, but it's really slow. You're probably not banned.

Join in progress only for social games and only if 1/3rd of the match is not over. Also, if people don't want to play, make a spectate option.

Meaning if Tashi is playing and I want to join him, but not in the match, I can spectate much like theater mode and see him play.

Naturally this setting should be off by default for privacy reasons.
For smaller player counts it would probably work, but I imagine high player counts would get a bit laggy. It would be cool to be able to host and spectate though. That would be an interesting option.

Madness

Join in progress only for social games and only if 1/3rd of the match is not over. Also, if people don't want to play, make a spectate option.

Meaning if Tashi is playing and I want to join him, but not in the match, I can spectate much like theater mode and see him play.

Naturally this setting should be off by default for privacy reasons.

Edit: Darthbob xbl was down for me too.

because other people said it on twitter from different parts of the country, mind blowing eh?

0/2 tonight.

lol was just about to say this..

Darth-Vader-Lightsaber-Fail.gif

My XBL died too, shall we all hold hands?

Random Additions:

• Holograms should net you Distraction points.
  • There should be a feature where you can disable your own radar in the settings and it also disables you from the enemy radar. Balanced?

TheOddOne

The Halo 4 team's 'red hot poker' of community expectation
In a DICE 2013 talk in Las Vegas on Thursday, 343's Frank O'Connor and Kiki Wolfkill discussed the two massive challenges for the internal Microsoft studio, which had to both boot itself from scratch and create the next game in the storied Halo franchise - a formidable task.

Bungie veteran O'Connor, who moved across to Microsoft to work on the new team, explained that 343 needed both "to build a studio," and "to take over a beloved franchise that people had already developed a lot of… expectations for" - a particularly tricky task.

This was particularly rough because of the surprising nature of the handover for the Halo community once massed around Bungie fans & the Halo 4 transition. O'Connor quipped: "We had to take the baton.. but it was red hot when it was handed to us."

Dealing with an incredibly passionate community "with no volume control" is a massive challenge at the best of times, but given expectations for the franchise, how did 343 work with those?

O'Connor noted of Halo 4 that they had to evolve the game "in ways that mapped to our studios's talent and drive," but the team had to deal with "the resistance to change [from the fanbase], but a demand for evolution from the same part of the audience."

This tricky balancing act is one the team seem to have navigated fairly well in the end, but with a 10 year plan for the Halo franchise at 343, they've only just started. O'Connor concluded the talk by noting: "Communication [with the community] is most successful when it's a two-way process." By necessity, storytelling in books and games in the universe is the most one-way process - "people either like it or they don't".

But there are alternatives, particularly if you can survey and talk to the community on features earlier in development, O'Connor notes. Thus, 343 is building itself around a model where "you can put information out, get a reaction, and take that reaction to make good products," as much as they possibly can
Halo 4 wins two awards at Dice
Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity: "Halo 4" (Publisher: Microsoft Studios, Developer: 343 Industries)

Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: "Halo 4" (Publisher: Microsoft Studios, Developer: 343 Industries)

zap

Darth-Vader-Lightsaber-Fail.gif

Random Additions:

• There should be a feature where you can disable your own radar in the settings and it also disables you from the enemy radar. Balanced?

Yes.
No.

Radar for everyone or no-one. But I think we should definitely unclutter the radar - back to Halo 3 style please.

Random Additions:

[*]There should be a feature where you can disable your own radar in the settings and it also disables you from the enemy radar. Balanced?

Interesting... But paired with camo I think that could be a bit overpowered (like that's anything new).

Agree on the Hologram bit, that just makes too much sense.

Is that DICE talk going to be available to watch?

Havok

But there are alternatives, particularly if you can survey and talk to the community on features earlier in development, O'Connor notes. Thus, 343 is building itself around a model where "you can put information out, get a reaction, and take that reaction to make good products," as much as they possibly can.
That's interesting. I don't know that we're seeing a whole lot of that with the sustain stuff, but maybe that'll change. It's encouraging to see that being said - I don't want to be reductive, but I'd rather avoid another "Trust Us" era in the months leading up to the next game. Even just taking the time to explain the news coming out in full instead of relying on two-sentence bits from mostly-clueless games journalists (who to be fair, cannot be expected to be as invested in any one series as we are due to the nature of their jobs). Using the Global Ordnance announcement in GI as an example, there was speculation from May to November about how the hell it worked, with tidbits sprinkled around like "no, it's not totally random," and there are really nitty-gritty elements of the system we are still a little nebulous on.

Having said that, in our glorious new freedom of information world, can we get some TU patch notes?
Is that DICE talk going to be available to watch?
I saw a few of the talks go up on Variety's Youtube channel earlier today, but they didn't have Frank's. Maybe it'll go up there at some point?

Interesting... But paired with camo I think that could be a bit overpowered (like that's anything new).

Camo could show up on the radar to balance it.
Hologram wouldn't show up on the radar to balance that.
Auto Sentry would show up.

Radar is so detrimental to any sort of competitive nature in Halo. If anything change it to appearing when you shoot. Radar as a motion sensor is so uninteresting.

Awards for connectivity really?

You go black screen three times a game, people get booted, and the game sometimes starts up without the other team. JiP barely works and Trueskill still gives the shittiest matchups ever after 3 months cause theres no ranking system.

9.8, Doritos, d riding at its finest.

Visual Engineering...congrats on the mocapping expensive bullshit, people are leaving your game, but hey it looked great.

Has this entire world gone insane?

HTupolev

Awards for connectivity really?

You go black screen three times a game, people get booted, and the game sometimes starts up without the other team. JiP barely works and Trueskill still gives the shittiest matchups ever after 3 months cause theres no ranking system.

9.8, Doritos, d riding at its finest.

Visual Engineering...congrats on the mocapping expensive bullshit, people are leaving your game, but hey it looked great.

Has this entire world gone insane?

From the 2012 awards listings, where the awards are described:

>>"Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity
This award is given to a property or title that best demonstrates innovation in connection mechanics across varied platforms. This is typically exemplified through the expansion of a story or narrative through complementary elements across two or more platforms (e.g. Console/Facebook or Console/Mobile Device)."

It's not an award directing at networking models.

Camo could show up on the radar to balance it.
Hologram wouldn't show up on the radar to balance that.
Auto Sentry would show up.

Radar is so detrimental to any sort of competitive nature in Halo. If anything change it to appearing when you shoot. Radar as a motion sensor is so uninteresting.

While I would agree that radar is definitely detrimental to tourney-style competitive play, Halo for a large portion of the population isn't really THAT competitive. Many people just want to play Team Slayer, or BTB, or what have you. I would wager a significant amount of people depend on the feature and I think it would upset more people than it would please making radar worse (aside from making it work like it did in Halo CE, 2, and 3) or removing it completely.

Competitive is fun and engaging to an important audience, yes, but due to the nature of it's design, it isn't exactly pick-up-and-play (which is a good thing, emphasis on the skill-gap is what makes these gametypes work well). The motion tracker as it is now plays to the strengths of a pick-up-and-play game, regardless of its merits in more competitive playlists.

That said, I'm all for exploring options and adding in custom features, though, so by all means having a "combat" tracker as an option would be awesome, if only for custom games, or, perhaps even better, its own set of gametypes.

One thing I've been doing a lot of thinking about is how to make the more crazy-style Halo gameplay cater to more skilled players, without simultaneously scaring away the rest of the population (which, let's be honest here, make up the majority of the player-base). For the competitive crowd, you have people screaming for things like no radar, no sprint, no AAs, etc. The problem with this is that these two types of gameplay aren't perfectly mutually exclusive, and largely exist more upon a gradient, which itself is not entirely linear. For example, many people might say that Grifball is a fringe, actionsack-like gametype, when in my opinion it is quite competitive when two teams who know what they're doing go at each other. And that's something that rings true for many playlists once you have a solid team, or perhaps, a group of solid players in the case of FFA.

For simplicity's sake, you could draw a scale, from a 0 to 10 with "casual, or better: fringe" at one end, and "competitive" at the other. Playlists and game types can be placed along this, and we can assume that something like Throwdown or MLG could be closer to 10, whereas something like Phantom Pistols on Waterworks, or Infection, or whatever closer to 0. But then you have things like SWAT, or Snipers, which may be more competitive oriented than Slayer - as well as perhaps Objective games. It's hard to place everything in-line because certain gametypes can be more or less competitive for very different reasons and can't exactly be compared cut-and-dry like.

Changing any one playlist to cater specifically to the idea that there are two possible types of Halo players, casual and competitive, is incorrect. There's a multitude of types of players in Halo, and stripping the game down, or packing on meta-mechanics are both strange ways of going about making it all work. A better approach would be to do what the previous trilogy did pretty well: focus on creating well-designed, deliberate, and solid playlists that can allow a lesser skilled player to have fun boobing around, while also scaling to that higher-level play. This is something that Halo 4 does fairly poorly (at least Infinity). I seriously think Infinity COULD be an interesting gametype for better players, but since it's design seems to be based on rewarding players arbitrarily, and encouraging randomness, better players just get frustrated, as if their skill isn't being rewarded. Again, segregating the population to separate MLG or Casual playlists isn't ideal. What is ideal is designing the core gametypes to scale up properly for the better players who will undoubtedly get matched up against each other once trueskill balances out. Right now, a lot of the playlists in Halo 4 don't do this very well, the skill-gap seems to have been erased, or at least compressed (though 343 seems to be working to change this with their recent updates).

Easier said than done, I suppose, but globally removing radar ain't it ;)

From the 2012 awards listings, where the awards are described:

>>"Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity
This award is given to a property or title that best demonstrates innovation in connection mechanics across varied platforms. This is typically exemplified through the expansion of a story or narrative through complementary elements across two or more platforms (e.g. Console/Facebook or Console/Mobile Device)."

It's not an award directing at networking models.

Thank you for this. I was curious what the award was for.

I would have to say that there are few franchises that tie together all their media as well as Halo does. Novels, Comics, Campaign, SpOps, Forward Unto Dawn, etc. Regardless of what you may think of the story, it's hard to argue that any franchise does a better job stitching together narrative from a multitude of different media and platforms. As a Halo story nerd, I commend them for doing this really well, and Halo 4 probably does this even better than any of the previous games (and more recently, executing on Spartan Ops, that shit is great).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Maybe I'll play Halo again someday in the future. But it's almost 3 AM and I've been drowning in a chunky mixture of C and C++. And it's looking like my weekend will go to bug fixing and music writing. Plus I need to write that production report... and phased plan document. So this is what homework feels like. Fun stuff but my vidya... :(

I haven't even had a chance to try Doubles yet and Team Snipers is one of my favorite playlists. And I haven't even started SpOps Ep. 7. This sucks.

Maybe I'll play Halo again someday in the future. But it's almost 3 AM and I've been drowning in a chunky mixture of C and C++. And it's looking like my weekend will go to bug fixing and music writing. Plus I need to write that production report... and phased plan document. So this is what homework feels like. Fun stuff but my vidya... :(

I haven't even had a chance to try Doubles yet and Team Snipers is one of my favorite playlists. And I haven't even started SpOps Ep. 7. This sucks.

If you do get some time from your homework, I'm almost always down for some SpOps.

GrizzNKev

Banned
If you do get some time from your homework, I'm almost always down for some SpOps.

Yeah my friends aren't really into SpOps and I want to catch up sometime soon. I'll PM you when I'm available, tomorrow night sounds likely.

Goodnight sweet prince, it's time to sleep for 4 hours.

But there are alternatives, particularly if you can survey and talk to the community on features earlier in development, O'Connor notes. Thus, 343 is building itself around a model where "you can put information out, get a reaction, and take that reaction to make good products," as much as they possibly can.

Ok, I'll get this one in super early so nobody can say "it's too late to change anything now, you should have said something earlier!". Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever put a touch of a button invisibility switch in the first person shooter 'Halo" ever again.

If you take this reaction, you will make a good product!

Blueblur1

The Halo 4 team's 'red hot poker' of community expectation

O'Connor noted of Halo 4 that they had to evolve the game "in ways that mapped to our studios's talent and drive," but the team had to deal with "the resistance to change [from the fanbase], but a demand for evolution from the same part of the audience."

This tricky balancing act is one the team seem to have navigated fairly well in the end, but with a 10 year plan for the Halo franchise at 343, they've only just started. O'Connor concluded the talk by noting: "Communication [with the community] is most successful when it's a two-way process." By necessity, storytelling in books and games in the universe is the most one-way process - "people either like it or they don't".

Its good to see Frankie get out there and say something (even if its watered down to avoid making 343 look bad) but I'll believe it when I see it. They may "evolve" Halo again with Halo 5 (i.e. let some designers that don't understand the series at all call the shots and make terrible design decisions) and we'll still be in the same frustrating situation. Talk is cheap and so far 343 has been all talk.

Though under Bungie's rather Battleship Potemkin approach to storytelling, that "sanitization" arguably made a lot of sense, at least on the UNSC side of things.

But yeah, the persistance of that on the Covenant side seriously hurt Halo 2's storytelling IMO. Everyone talks about how Arby arcs through the story, and I really don't feel it, mostly because I don't think he was ever well-grounded as a continuation of the threat in Halo 1. FFS, the dude hangs out with hammy Elizabethan actors in ridiculous costumes and only ever fights zombies and other hammy costumed Elizabethan actors. Where's the association?
It was established early on, in the first cutscene, that he was responsible for Reach's destruction.
Especially when Arby was set up to fight humans in SI/QZ; it comes off like the game is deliberately forcing you to be friendly competitors.
Never got that feeling. You're after the same goal, but they were always jut one step ahead.
Halo 2 is one of the most ambitious and narratively complex Halo games, and shooters in general, but that doesn't mean it's entirely successful. The Arby's story line is a bit gimped and when it could have been expanded in Halo 3, Bungie backed away and disavowed Halo 2 so thoroughly that the Arbiter was a sidekick, nothing more.

One of? Which Halo game is more ambitious and complex than Halo 2?

Havok

What's it's purpose? And don't say "To harvest, of course."
To be a kind of boring combat space where the player shoots two explosive barrels and then leaves. Probably my fault for expecting more than a static mesh, but promoting what is essentially a weird looking building as if it were more kind of left me wanting. Same with the Broadsword tease that ended up being a half-second of a cutscene.

What a bummer.

What an un-Covenant looking bummer.

I still can't believe people complain about Join in Progress as a design (it's current implementation does leave a bit to be desired though). Has everyone already forgotten Reach games where every BTB game would be lopsided? Or even team slayer where one player gets dropped before the match even starts and it is like the rest of the match?

I do agree there should still be quitting penalties though (although, I can't think of what a logical penalty would be w/o a rankings or something).

Shadders

I still can't believe people complain about Join in Progress as a design (it's current implementation does leave a bit to be desired though). Has everyone already forgotten Reach games where every BTB game would be lopsided? Or even team slayer where one player gets dropped before the match even starts and it is like the rest of the match?

I do agree there should still be quitting penalties though (although, I can't think of what a logical penalty would be w/o a rankings or something).

Aye, people criticising JiP have really short memories.

id be all for jip if it worked consistently. i remember specifically a game of infinity slayer on harvest where two of my teammates quit at the very beginning of the game. one would think "oh since no one has even scored yet we'll get some more players!" nope. went on about 3-4 minutes until my 3rd teammate quit. I stayed for another 3 minutes and since no one had joined i quit.

shit sucks

I think when people complain about JIP, they are really doing so from one end.

Let's face it, when the game fills up those empty spots, everybody's happy. The problems occur when;

• Players join when they're down by a LOT.
  • Players join when the time is almost up.
  • People who quit out a lot.
  • Games where, for some reason, those spots just don't fill up.
  • Games that start without opponents only to finish right away.

I agree, I think something needs to be done so that quitting is a bit more restricted. Maybe have a 5 quit grace period every day and then introduce a penalty for every one after.

id be all for jip if it worked consistently. i remember specifically a game of infinity slayer on harvest where two of my teammates quit at the very beginning of the game. one would think "oh since no one has even scored yet we'll get some more players!" nope. went on about 3-4 minutes until my 3rd teammate quit. I stayed for another 3 minutes and since no one had joined i quit.

shit sucks

I've noticed that on the Crimson maps as well. Either JIP is bugged for the DLC maps, or simply not enough people bought the maps.

Aye, people criticising JiP have really short memories.
It performs inadequately. That is worthy of criticism. Its specific implementation in Halo 4 also creates problems that didn't exist in previous titles. Unless a player dropped in the pregame lobby, Reach, 3 and 2 did not start uneven matches.

Top Bottom