• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Where can I find it?

The only things I recall are the 3sk DMR and shotgun availability in loadouts.

I remember he leaked a few things like Regen Field to us early forcing Frankie to confirm changes so that it wasn't OP (MTW said there was a repulsion field that came with the ability as well; it got removed during development).

Xbox 420 is a 3 shot kill

It'd be great if the regen field repel trick would work on vehicles and stack exponentially. Just imagine a bunch of people pooping out healing rays next to the enemy wraith which pushes it off a cliff or something.

wwm0nkey

I remember he leaked a few things like Regen Field to us early forcing Frankie to confirm changes so that it wasn't OP (MTW said there was a repulsion field that came with the ability as well; it got removed during development).

Xbox 420 is a 3 shot kill

It still works on objects and dead bodies though, just doesn't repel people anymore.

Ryaaan14

Banned
As much as I loathe MTW, I'm inclined to believe what he says. Although he certainly is way off the mark with some things I would consider circumstantial, like that 3-shot DMR comment he made.

Fracas

#fuckonami
As much as I loathe MTW, I'm inclined to believe what he says. Although he certainly is way off the mark with some things I would consider circumstantial, like that 3-shot DMR comment he made.
Haha, your reaction when he says the DMR is 1sk with a headshot is priceless.

Can't stand this dude.

Woorloog

Banned
This exact reason I why I don't understand the Halsey hate in the Halo universe. So dumb.

Because Traviss.
Seriously. I can't think of any other reason. Of course 343i could have directed Traviss to write the universe to be anti-Halsey (i'm somewhat sceptical of EU writers having free reign to write, i tend to belive they're in tight leash but no idea how things really are).

Fotos

Guys... What if Crackdown 3 is a launch title for the next Xbox later this year and it is pre-loaded with the Halo 5 beta that would release in the summer of 2014.

FyreWulff

I hope ONI is the eventual big bad of the Halo universe, as in your're actively rebelling against them and such.

If they're going towards that, then building ONI up as assholes, essentially getting them over as the heels to the Halo fans by mistreating Halsey so you'll have more impact when they finally have the blowoff and she gets her day.

So Lasky and friends have control of the Infinity and that's it, ONI's in with UNSC. Infinity gets budget cuts, so you're stuck using aim down sights and killing humans.

Woorloog

Banned
I hope ONI is the eventual big bad of the Halo universe, as in your're actively rebelling against them and such.

If they're going towards that, then building ONI up as assholes, essentially getting them over as the heels to the Halo fans by mistreating Halsey so you'll have more impact when they finally have the blowoff and she gets her day.

Won't make me happy either.

The problem with Halsey-hate in universe is that it is not well explained. Not after over a generation from the Spartan-II program. Some kids being kidnapped before the most devastating war humans have know wouldn't interest people really. Of course the Halsey-hate in-universe seems to be limited to a small number of high-ranking people, who know what she did. But their hate is pretty much unexplained. Or have very weak reasoning.

I don't think Halsey should be rewarded either though, even though the Spartan-IIs ended up being the solution to the war, more or less... well, i personally do not like "end justifies means" philosophy really (despite favoring utilitarianism). But even bigger reason for not rewarding her? She's a coward. Read Ghosts of Onyx and you don't need to read beetween the lines either. She grabbed a few Spartans and went to hide in the universe's largest bomb shelter. Cowardice doesn't get much bigger than that. If Halsey were vilified due to that, i'd be perfectly fine with it.

HTupolev

Of course the Halsey-hate in-universe seems to be limited to a small number of high-ranking people, who know what she did. But their hate is pretty much unexplained. Or have very weak reasoning.
It's very typical in war for people who comitted atrocities and then lost to be attacked postwar by the enemy victors.

It is less typical in war for people who comitted atrocities and then won to be attacked postwar by the organization that funded those actions, and when those actions were a non-negligible part of that side's victory.

FyreWulff

Won't make me happy either.

The problem with Halsey-hate in universe is that it is not well explained. Not after over a generation from the Spartan-II program. Some kids being kidnapped before the most devastating war humans have know wouldn't interest people really. Of course the Halsey-hate in-universe seems to be limited to a small number of high-ranking people, who know what she did. But their hate is pretty much unexplained. Or have very weak reasoning.

I don't think Halsey should be rewarded either though, even though the Spartan-IIs ended up being the solution to the war, more or less... well, i personally do not like "end justifies means" philosophy really (despite favoring utilitarianism). But even bigger reason for not rewarding her? She's a coward. Read Ghosts of Onyx and you don't need to read beetween the lines either. She grabbed a few Spartans and went to hide in the universe's largest bomb shelter. Cowardice doesn't get much bigger than that. If Halsey were vilified due to that, i'd be perfectly fine with it.

In all honesty I think the payoff they might be working towards is Chief meeting Halsey again. They've already blueballed the fans by having them narrowly miss each other so far.

Woorloog

Banned
In all honesty I think the payoff they might be working towards is Chief meeting Halsey again. They've already blueballed the fans by having them narrowly miss each other so far.

Oh.
Meh. Didn't even remember the Chief's and Halsey relationship. Would be somewhat interesting to see them meet in-game but... meh.
Saying meh because i don't care about the Chief really. Been always more interested in he Halo's universe than the characters (other than the Covies in Halo 2).

Is Halo 4 stuff still to be spoilertagged by the way? Want to know before saying anything.

FyreWulff

Oh.
Meh. Didn't even remember the Chief's and Halsey relationship. Would be somewhat interesting to see them meet in-game but... meh.
Saying meh because i don't care about the Chief really. Been always more interested in he Halo's universe than the characters (other than the Covies in Halo 2).

Is Halo 4 stuff still to be spoilertagged by the way? Want to know before saying anything.

I'll agree with you on that front. I liked the non-Chief stories (Arbiter, the ODSTs, Noble 6) more than Chief.

Feels like a step back going from multiple main characters and full player customization being represented as your avatar in campaign (and the female players finally getting a female main character to play as) to just Chief again. Heck, there isn't even a single female Marine or S4 in gameplay in campaign, Ms. Egghead onl yshows up in a cutscene.) And not even Halo 3 style where all the co-op players are different characters. It's just a biped for the player, but that little bit of effort goes a long way.

Would have gone a long way to at least making it so the host in campaign was Chief like in Halo 3, then everyone else is their customized S4.

Fuchsdh

Halsey *is* an asshole. ONI is a bigger asshole by virtue of their motto basically being "we're the best bastards in the business".

343i has been far more interested in treating humanity as a heterogenous mix with some bad apples; Bungie kept the game universe sanitized. I for one welcome some more significant shades in the universe.

always online rumor better be false. I will not buy a system with always online play only

Yea that shits the worse. Wanted to play D3 a few days ago and my internet was down and I couldnt sign on to loot!...started having withdrawel symptoms.

Not until theres worldwide free wireless, fuck always online stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
Halsey *is* an asshole. ONI is a bigger asshole by virtue of their motto basically being "we're the best bastards in the business".

343i has been far more interested in treating humanity as a heterogenous mix with some bad apples; Bungie kept the game universe sanitized. I for one welcome some more significant shades in the universe.

Bungie also focused the game to be largerly us vs them, with post-War situation this is no longer really possible. Or realistic, with no large enemy to unify humans, we certainly will start bickering.
Didn't mean Bungie kept things completly clean... at least on the enemy side...

343i's approach is far too one-sided though. In my opinion anyway...

EDIT nevermind that last one.

Yea that shits the worse. Wanted to play D3 a few days ago and my internet was down and I couldnt sign on to loot!...started having withdrawel symptoms.

Not until theres worldwide free wireless, fuck always online stuff.

While i'm mostly online, my ISP seems to be having problems. My connection drops a few times a day randomly... very annoying. Not normal, probably should call them. Definetly hate always online, unless it is MMO.

Blueblur1

Question: Anyone else having a hard time identifying non-personal/global ordnance weapons on the maps? I had a hard time with this on Simplex where the Railgun didn't stand out nor did the Sticky Detonator.

I'm starting to think that the designers didn't keep environment aesthetics in mind when they designed most of those weapons since the majority of them are dull and grey. They don't seem to stand out at all unless they're in an ordnance pedestal.

Fuchsdh

Bungie also focused the game to be largerly us vs them, with post-War situation this is no longer really possible. Or realistic.
Didn't mean Bungie kept things completly clean... at least on the enemy side...

343i's approach is far too one-sided though. In my opinion anyway...
Eh, wondering how long it will take before someone (probably me, by virtue of this post) draws Innies into discussion. I remember this one discussion about just how right or wrong Innies were. I also recall defending them...

I don't mean "we're happy hearts and cuddly bears" clean, I mean that ultimately the moral lines were pretty cut and dried. One of the major failings of the Arbiter's storyline in Halo 2 is he never actually kills a person--we're never truly made to sympathize with what would rightfully be considered a "monster" to us and our fictional compatriots. Keeping the whole Library run without coming across a live human undercut a lot of his growth as a character.

We would not have had someone telling an officer to kill a civilian in a Bungie game.

FyreWulff

She is an asshole. ONI is a much bigger asshole that has committed untold amounts of war crimes. Halsey kidnapped some kids. The Arbiter has killed plenty of humans. Chief has blood on his hands too.

In the Halo universe, everyone is an asshole, we're just trying to figure out who the biggest one is at any one moment.

I don't mean "we're happy hearts and cuddly bears" clean, I mean that ultimately the moral lines were pretty cut and dried. One of the major failings of the Arbiter's storyline in Halo 2 is he never actually kills a person--we're never truly made to sympathize with what would rightfully be considered a "monster" to us and our fictional compatriots. Keeping the whole Library run without coming across a live human undercut a lot of his growth as a character.

We would not have had someone telling an officer to kill a civilian in a Bungie game.

Uh, ODST? I think the Arbiter never encountering live humans during gameplay was a matter of development time.

Woorloog

Banned

Hmm. I see what you mean.
I never really had any problems with the Arbiter not killing humans (neither i would have had a problem with him killing someone), Bungie wanted him to be likeable, him killing humans would have hurt that image, i guess.
Interestingly people tend to forget he lead the Covenant fleets, billions have been killed on his command. If you consider that, him not killing a human or two in Halo 2 wouldn't have mattered really... well, it shouldn't anyway but "million is a statistic".

Uh, ODST? I think the Arbiter never encountering live humans during gameplay was a matter of development time.

I'll note that the guy you kill in ODST fits "no moral problems killing this guy" category.
Works willingly for a corrupt cop who tried to rape someone? Sure, kill him away.

always online rumor better be false. I will not buy a system with always online play only

The rumors are coming in at such an absurd pace now that I've just removed myself from them, and speculating which ones are true and which ones aren't. We won't have to wait long to hear it from the horses mouth now.

Not that I'm for it, but always online would honestly not affect me at all. I'm online with every electronic device I use, and I don't see a single reason why that would change with the next Xbox.

---------------

Halo related, been playing some of the game this week, specifically CTF to try out Exile and Relay, but you can't because the playlist is 100% Adrift and Complex (the CTF spawns on Complex are completely and absolutely broken). Now that no one plays the game anymore, the playlist is filled with teams of 5 against randoms, laggy games all the time, and for some godforsaken reason Ragnarok with a Mantis. Also, sadly after the first couple of weeks, I haven't seen any DLC maps at all, with CTF being a prime playlist for DLC because it has two of maps in it. Another Halo game, another failure of DLC implementation that all other AAA games figured out years ago.

Just a little H4 rant for your pleasure.

Ghazi

The rumors are coming in at such an absurd pace now that I've just removed myself from them, and speculating which ones are true and which ones aren't. We won't have to wait long to hear it from the horses mouth now.

Not that I'm for it, but always online would honestly not affect me at all. I'm online with every electronic device I use, and I don't see a single reason why that would change with the next Xbox.

MS will have to make a move soon anyway since we'll probably see the PS4 on the 20th. So I'm just taking everything with a grain of salt.

Karl2177

---------------

Halo related, been playing some of the game this week, specifically CTF to try out Exile and Relay, but you can't because the playlist is 100% Adrift and Complex (the CTF spawns on Complex are completely and absolutely broken). Now that no one plays the game anymore, the playlist is filled with teams of 5 against randoms, laggy games all the time, and for some godforsaken reason Ragnarok with a Mantis. Also, sadly after the first couple of weeks, I haven't seen any DLC maps at all, with CTF being a prime playlist for DLC because it has two of maps in it. Another Halo game, another failure of DLC implementation that all other AAA games figured out years ago.

Just a little H4 rant for your pleasure.

For the record, when I play, I'll get Harvest or Shatter every other vote screen on Infinity or BTB.

Havok

I've tried to get it to pop up few times but haven't seen Exile in CTF yet either, it's been a lot of Adrift and Ragnarok, as usual. I've played Relay CTF, and I'm really not a fan. Weighting on Infinity CTF seems to be higher than I'd like - a few voting screens tonight had Infinity across the board, and there isn't much that makes me want to back out of a voting lobby faster than that at this point.

HTupolev

Though under Bungie's rather Battleship Potemkin approach to storytelling, that "sanitization" arguably made a lot of sense, at least on the UNSC side of things.

But yeah, the persistance of that on the Covenant side seriously hurt Halo 2's storytelling IMO. Everyone talks about how Arby arcs through the story, and I really don't feel it, mostly because I don't think he was ever well-grounded as a continuation of the threat in Halo 1. FFS, the dude hangs out with hammy Elizabethan actors in ridiculous costumes and only ever fights zombies and other hammy costumed Elizabethan actors. Where's the association?

Interestingly people tend to forget he lead the Covenant fleets, billions have been killed on his command. If you consider that, him not killing a human or two in Halo 2 wouldn't have mattered really... well, it shouldn't anyway but "million is a statistic".
"Million is a statistic" is right. This is a story, not a court room.

Especially when Arby was set up to fight humans in SI/QZ; it comes off like the game is deliberately forcing you to be friendly competitors.

For the record, when I play, I'll get Harvest or Shatter every other vote screen on Infinity or BTB.
Hmm, when the DLC first dropped I would see it with regularity in BTB and CTF (never seen it in any other playlist), but I haven't seen a DLC map since those first few weeks.
But yeah, the persistance of that on the Covenant side seriously hurt Halo 2's storytelling IMO. Everyone talks about how Arby arcs through the story, and I really don't feel it, mostly because I don't think he was ever well-grounded as a continuation of the threat in Halo 1. FFS, the dude hangs out with hammy Elizabethan actors in ridiculous costumes and only ever fights zombies and other hammy costumed Elizabethan actors. Where's the association?

frank-reynolds-1.gif

The Covenant H2 arc is arguably the only bold and interesting narrative piece in the entire Halo series.

----------

CTF Ragnarok...yeah I'm out. I just really can't enjoy this game, shame.

HTupolev

The Covenant H2 arc is arguably the only bold and interesting narrative piece in the entire Halo series.
I don't feel that there's actually much of an effective arc around the character of the Arbiter, thanks to his lack of grounding due to things I mentioned. Overall Halo 2 has a pretty good narrative, and the moment-to-moment script is quite good (not to mention the voice acting), but I wasn't feeling Halo 2's overall approach to elite characterization. They tried to make the elites more relatable in a way which blunted the effect of most of the arcing they supposedly did by weakening their connection with Halo 1 aggressive enemies. I'd hardly call the decision "bold."

Fuchsdh

Hmm, when the DLC first dropped I would see it with regularity in BTB and CTF (never seen it in any other playlist), but I haven't seen a DLC map since those first few weeks.

frank-reynolds-1.gif

----------

CTF Ragnarok...yeah I'm out. I just really can't enjoy this game, shame.

Halo 2 is one of the most ambitious and narratively complex Halo games, and shooters in general, but that doesn't mean it's entirely successful. The Arby's story line is a bit gimped and when it could have been expanded in Halo 3, Bungie backed away and disavowed Halo 2 so thoroughly that the Arbiter was a sidekick, nothing more.

I can take all the ignorance in the world around Halo 1, but people hating on Halo 2's story I just cannot accept. Had it not been for Halo 2 the Covenant would just be another insignificant collection of aliens that want to destroy humans.

GTFO with that shit.

RonaldSlap.gif

Halo 2 is one of the most ambitious and narratively complex Halo games, and shooters in general, but that doesn't mean it's entirely successful. The Arby's story line is a bit gimped and when it could have been expanded in Halo 3, Bungie backed away and disavowed Halo 2 so thoroughly that the Arbiter was a sidekick, nothing more.

I won't disagree that Bungie's decision to deliver a script that does a disservice to the character's developed in Halo 2 does retroactively hurt the Arbiter's arc.

HTupolev

I'm not sure how Arby would fit into what they were trying to do with Halo 3.

But, I've wondered if an exceptionally well-made Arby campaign taking place between Halo's 2 and 3 could:
1-Be more narratively productive than filling in the Chief's gaps (on a storytelling level, I don't see any point in filling them for the sake of filling them), and
2-At least partly scratch that itch.

I can take all the ignorance in the world around Halo 1, but people hating on Halo 2's story I just cannot accept. Had it not been for Halo 2 the Covenant would just be another insignificant collection of aliens that want to destroy humans.
We're not saying that Halo 2 should have gone in a different direction, we're arguing that Halo 2 could have done a better and more aggressive job doing what it was doing.

Fuchsdh

I won't disagree that Bungie's decision to deliver a script that does a disservice to the character's developed in Halo 2 does retroactively hurt the Arbiter's arc.

I'd say the biggest fault I have with the storyline in Halo 2 is we never really get an earned revelation on the Arbiter's part--when he talks with the Gravemind he's all "you lie!" and then he's just mowing down Brutes. There's no indication that he decides to actually stop the firing (unless you count the very end of "The Great Journey", but it feels a little forced.) The Arbiter never had a Cortana character--someone to bounce his issues off of, so a lot of it players had to infer (to be fair that was an issue with the Chief too that we're only starting to rectify.)

Ghazi

Usually I think GAF overall is so pro Sony but damn that thread is amazing. I'm really pumped for this unveil on the 20th.

brofist.jpg

EDIT: While we're on it can anyone do/tell me how to make my profile pic's background transparent?

Top Bottom