• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Why does everyone hate Palmer again?
She comes off as an arrogant, single-minded grunt. Her attitude toward the Covenant is annoying after the peaceful gestures of Admiral Hood at the end of Halo 3, and her attitude towards scientists is just stupid since she relies so heavily on the technology they provide for her. Some say she is written to be disliked. If that is the case, mission accomplished.

Woorloog

Banned
Why does everyone hate Palmer again?
Wha willow said:
Crimson. Button. Egghead.

Of course that is just a gross simplification.
I don't like her attitutde, she seems unprofessional and bitchy. And i hate how 343i tried to force her to be "cool", no helmet (it is a fucking war and she doesn't wear helmet?) and her dual wielding magnums (sidearms? When you have a rifle or shotguns?).
And of course, she has zero impact on the story, she's there just to be "cool" and have someone shove Halsey around and to hate her.

Silverlight absolutely sucks when using a school connection.

Yo 343, you know YouTube? Use it.

It sucks even with good home connection. And no HD.

Havok

Some say she is written to be disliked. If that is the case, mission accomplished.
That seems to be the case with a lot of characters in the game.

Del Rio was the original fall guy for Lasky, anybody that was remotely likable would be favored after having that walking caricature bark at everyone. Now that he's out of the picture, I think they're putting Palmer in that same contrasting role. The golden boy has a conscience, she is ruthless.

The same goes for the rest of the Spartan Ops cast. The two obnoxious, loudmouthed white guys in Majestic seem to be that way only to serve as a contrast to quiet, contemplative Thorne. Glassman's whiny, incompetent nature is a stark contrast to Halsey.

I don't think it's working very well. Hood was a better instance of a commanding officer being a stickler, because he wasn't a brick wall of angry glares. I'm really, really enjoying the Spartan Ops narrative, but it isn't really because of the characters, at least not the new ones. Halsey is easily the high point there, and her character was established long ago, though I've got to give them credit for doing a great job maintaining her defining character elements.

Karl2177

Yeah, I didn't get that either? What's she saying? She's killed unarmed civilians before? :
I'm guessing it means that she's been given the hitman order before. She did kill that Elite really stealthily. It just stuck out to me as an odd choice of words.

vv because it brings attention to the tweets, which brings more sales

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh Sundance, you so crazy. Why do I feel like that guy just loves drama?

He just tweeted about how BlOps 2 pass sales speed is on par with Halo's peak during H3.

Madness

Palmer from the first time she started speaking in war games on launch night I disliked her. When she told chief she thought he'd be taller, I wanted him to just punch her in the throat.

Then you have spartan ops and the rest is history. How 343 decided Palmer would be commander of all Spartans ill never know.

I literally want her to die every week which is sad. She doesn't come off as a good spartan, she doesn't come off as a good commissioned officer and she sure as hell doesn't come off as commander of all Spartans. She'll never be a Sgt. Johnson, she'll never be a Miranda Keyes, she won't even be a Kat or Carter.

Someone posted a pic of starship troopers a few days ago as inspiration for Crimson and Spartan-IV's, and I have to wholeheartedly agree. So poorly written and because it was Jennifer Hale, it literally sounds like renegade femshep every time I play.

How cool would it have been for a Spartan-II to be commander instead of Palmer. And no, it's not because she is a woman. She's just poorly written.

Palmer from the first time she started speaking in war games on launch night I disliked her. When she told chief she thought he'd be taller, I wanted him to just punch her in the throat.

Then you have spartan ops and the rest is history. How 343 decided Palmer would be commander of all Spartans ill never know.

I literally want her to die every week which is sad. She doesn't come off as a good spartan, she doesn't come off as a good commissioned officer and she sure as hell doesn't come off as commander of all Spartans. She'll never be a Sgt. Johnson, she'll never be a Miranda Keyes, she won't even be a Kat or Carter.

Someone posted a pic of starship troopers a few days ago as inspiration for Crimson and Spartan-IV's, and I have to wholeheartedly agree. So poorly written and because it was Jennifer Hale, it literally sounds like renegade femshep every time I play.

How cool would it have been for a Spartan-II to be commander instead of Palmer. And no, it's not because she is a woman. She's just poorly written.

It's been theorized that Spartan II/IIIs are being phased out as they are signs of atrocities committed during the war/old guard.

The SIVs are basically turning into the "Next generation soldier", which does take a bit away from the uniqueness of being a spartan.

Shadders

It's been theorized that Spartan II/IIIs are being phased out as they are signs of atrocities committed during the war/old guard.

The SIVs are basically turning into the "Next generation soldier", which does take a bit away from the uniqueness of being a spartan.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, by Halo 6, Chief is the last Spartan, again.

I mean, I think there is a reason they have these pariahs, and I think they may be pieces in the larger story about humanity's purpose in this universe where they inherit the Forerunners' responsibility. But they are still annoying characters and whatever larger puzzle of a story they fit into may ultimately be ill-suited for a game like Halo.

Madness

That's like saying we're getting rid of Navy SEALs, Green Berets, Army Rangers, and every other elite branch in the military because they were too exclusive and of a different time.

I get it, but it's just more poor writing by 343, if you judge the games by themselves, humanity was utterly defeated and it was Chief and the Arbiter who saved them. Almost all of humanity's major colonies destroyed, their military might Reach, even Earth was overwhelmed. And yet less than 5 years later, it's like the events of the past game never happened. Not only is humanity still united, but they somehow emerge ten times stronger and well equipped. Where'd they get the time, money, to rebuild? They literally ran out of money funding Mjolnir and the Spartan-II program and brought in Spartan-III's as a cheap replacement and to maintain morale. All of a sudden, on the verge of extinction, you now have over 100,000 Spartan-IV's, you have the mightiest ship in the galaxy that can basically travel at will to any point, etc. If Earth fell, the UNSC home fleets were destroyed, Reach was gone, how can they do all this?

I don't know, I guess I just miss the times when being a Spartan meant something. But it's a sad irony for the game. I guess I just miss when Halo meant something other than another generic shooter that will be Halo in name only soon.

And yes, I still play everyday, doubles pro has been the most fun I've had yet with the game and it's sad because doubles pro should be representative of the true halo experience. If they want to make infinity the future of halo, then they lose yet another decades long fan who spent money and years of his time playing.

Tawpgun

I suggest you forget halo and play destiny instead. 343 is not a good halo company.

Nah, just make sure you only play the good playlists. Play doubles now, vote for CTF/Doubles Pro. And when Team Throwdown comes out then get on that.

You know, it would be an interesting expirement if 343 removed ALL infinity playlists and gametypes from Halo 4 for a week.

See if theres a huge blow in population numbers, or if those same people just migrate to another playlist.

J10

Banned
Nah, just make sure you only play the good playlists. Play doubles now, vote for CTF/Doubles Pro. And when Team Throwdown comes out then get on that.

You know, it would be an interesting expirement if 343 removed ALL infinity playlists and gametypes from Halo 4 for a week.

See if theres a huge blow in population numbers, or if those same people just migrate to another playlist.

First week I had a person on my friends list unknowingly join up while I was playing Slayer Pro. Before he left he said "My bad, but I gotta cut out, I didn't know you guys were playing Slayer Pro. That playlist doesn't have ANYTHING!"

The only playlist even remotely resembling Halo didn't have "anything." LOL

Wha willow said:

Of course that is just a gross simplification.
I don't like her attitutde, she seems unprofessional and bitchy. And i hate how 343i tried to force her to be "cool", no helmet (it is a fucking war and she doesn't wear helmet?) and her dual wielding magnums (sidearms? When you have a rifle or shotguns?).
And of course, she has zero impact on the story, she's there just to be "cool" and have someone shove Halsey around and to hate her.

It sucks even with good home connection. And no HD.

We all know what happened to the last female spartan in a Combat situation that didn't wear her helmet...

can a Jackal do it again?

First week I had a person on my friends list unknowingly join up while I was playing Slayer Pro. Before he left he said "My bad, but I gotta cut out, I didn't know you guys were playing Slayer Pro. That playlist doesn't have ANYTHING!"

The only playlist even remotely resembling Halo didn't have "anything." LOL

Slayer Pro was dreadful though and in no way indicitive of real Halo. Also, like infinity slayer, it suffered from a severe lack of maps.

I'm a lot more optimistic for Throwdown, if only because Bravo is at the helm for the settings. Doubles Pro and the revised flag reset timers are encouraging. No teams of 4 stomping on randoms too, which is so important.

I wonder if a true class-based system could really work in Halo. Let me clarify.

Waypoint Slayer
Features 5-7 classes/preset loadouts that you can choose from with some actual differences between each class beyond weaponry. A Sweeper may have Firepower with a Battle Rifle and AR and higher health but slower shield recharge, a Marksman may have a DMR, Pistol but lower health, and so on.
In Waypoint Slayer, ordnance drops work much like they did in Invasion Slayer - on-map pickups exist but are sparse such as Shotguns or DMRs - a team has to capture one for it to be called in. After it drops, either the successful team can pick it up instantly or the enemy team can pick it up after "unlocking it" like in Infinity Slayer. Hell, everyone could even use an Armor Ability model like the one in my weapon mockup and the classes could just be a matter of faction or something.

Infinity Slayer
Standard Fiesta bullshit. See above for armor ability model.

Team Slayer
Tastes like Halo.

Computer

That bitch shot Master Chiefs mom she is cray. Where the hell is the Chief? I will shit if he shows up in ep 10 and rips Palmer in half. Please make this happen 343 everyone will love you.

I'd pay a dollar for a Duncan concert.

Sure, but after TicketMaster fees it'll be $15.

Better plan:
1. Start Kickstarter for a Halo Musical.
2. Sell each investor a percentage of the musical's earnings, sell more than 100% and make sure the musical is a complete failure.
3. ???
4. Profit!

"Springtime for Halo
and Three-four-three...."

Was she? I really need to play through Reach again, because i remember her getting blained pretty hard.
Yes, she was wearing a helmet. I think showing a helmetless female getting her brains blown out the front of her skull might have been a little too much for Bungie, which I would agree with.

Was she? I really need to play through Reach again, because i remember her getting blained pretty hard.

HaloReach_-_KatDeath.png

Tawpgun

Seems like 343 wants to continue the shitty writing that Karen Traviss started... Fuck Palmer, she deserves a death in fire.

She was. Lot of people got all up in arms over it.

The common explanation was the radiation flare/glass beam knocked out her shields so the needle round just went right through.

FyreWulff

Nobody has found anything broken on Shutout Snipers yet?

Good.

I hope it stays that way

edit: start first game of team snipers. a bit into match, host leaves, resulting in me getting booted from the game. fuu

edit2: if someone gets a match on Shutout Snipers, plz upload the film then send me a PM with your gamertag so I can grab it

It's kinda terrifying when you realize that they probably had to take her helmet off at some point for a burial.

If exit wounds on human weapons are anything to go by, Kat's head probably fucking exploded all over the inside of her visor.

It's kinda terrifying when you realize that they probably had to take her helmet off at some point for a burial.

If exit wounds on human weapons are anything to go by, Kat's head probably fucking exploded all over the inside of her visor.

Aye, but for all we know the Needle cauterized everything through and the blood is from the exit. but, Indeed a gruesome thought.

Could just bury a spartan in armor.
Could replace the helmet
Maybe she was never buried. Reach did fall.

Is there a reason that Shutout hasn't been in Doubles, and has that mistake been rectified?

And god damn matchmaking. I'd say over 90% of my games over the weekend in any given playlist were insanely lopsided one way or the other in terms of skill matches. I would have one good and evenly matched game, then the next several games would have me paired up against people who were somehow worse than me or insanely better. That would go on for several games, and right before I'd give up, and even match would happen and I'd be sucked into the loop again.

I'm sure it's due to the low overall population and the lack of partly-crappy players like myself, but it's no less aggravating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's Team Objective apart from Ragnarok KOTH? Is it gametype/map voting, or is each voting round a solitary gametype and you vote on the map? Please, please be the latter.

Sure, but after TicketMaster fees it'll be $15.

Better plan:
1. Start Kickstarter for a Halo Musical.
2. Sell each investor a percentage of the musical's earnings, sell more than 100% and make sure the musical is a complete failure.
3. ???
4. Profit!

"Springtime for Halo
and Three-four-three...."
This might be considered dumb, but I definitely think there's potential here for a charity album.

Toa TAK

Banned
The best characters in Reach were Jorge and the second time you saw Jorge.

I think that Jorge was the best character in Reach. Too bad the other characters didn't really get a chance to develop as much.

Just watched SpOps Cinematic. Awesome to see Palmer finally put on that damn helmet.

VeeP

I really love the Spartan Ops cut scenes. I don't play Ops because I find the missions boring, but I love those CG cut scenes. I would love a Halo show. 343, Frankie pls :(.

Anyways, two things I hate about the way 343i is taking the Spartan Ops/Halo 4 story:

1.) Why do the Spartan IV's act like such tools.
"What'd you do last weekend?"
"Not much bro, just getting laid"

Seriously? Thorn is the only Spartan IV I've liked so far.

2.) The hate on Halsey. I know she did some pretty fucked up shit, but if it wasn't for her, The Covenant would have wiped humankind out. Cut her some slack.

Another thing I didn't like was the lack of interaction between Chief and the other Spartans. I thought after the final battle after the end of Halo 3, Chief would've become a legend. An inspiration to soldiers. I think Thorn, or another Spartan, mentioned at one point that Chief was an inspiration and a reason for enlisting.

I also like Lasky so far. Way better than Palmer.

Top Bottom