• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Gordon

Did you not see her breasts during that one cutscene?

Pics or it didn't happen.
0sNE3bt.jpg

u4iX

How was the NHL thing with Alex?

If I had to sum up the experience with one picture...

BCwf1aJCYAAVlX_.jpg

Really though, the entire event was a blast. The gamespot, Twitch, and Virgin Gaming employees were all great, and except for a few minor changes on the production side, it was a pretty flawless event.

a400poundwhale

Neo Member
If I had to sum up the experience with one picture...

BCwf1aJCYAAVlX_.jpg

Really though, the entire event was a blast. The gamespot, Twitch, and Virgin Gaming employees were all great, and except for a few minor changes on the production side, it was a pretty flawless event.

I hope you're not wearing that skinny tie when you go to jail. It's way too pretty.

Just throwing out more ideas towards a class-based slayer variant for Halo 5. The loadouts could be:

Infinity
Assault Rifle / Pistol / Frag x2
Spartan
Battle Rifle / ODST SMG / Frag x2

Covenant
Storm Rifle / Plasma Pistol / Plasma x2
Elite
Carbine / Plasma Rifle / Plasma x2

Promethean
Suppressor / Boltshot / Pulse x1 Phase x1
Knight
Light Rifle / Oscillator / Pulse x1 Phase x1

The Armor Abilities are handled by a universal, combined system similar to Crysis explained several times over. Likewise, Tactical and Support Packages are removed. Instead, loadouts simply have the ability to be given player traits individually, allowing for truly distinct classes. A few defaults could potentially include:
UNSC classes have slightly reduced damage (BR's still a 4-shot kill), default speed, but faster shield rate/wait (taking shorter).
Covenant classes have increased damage, default speed, and reduced shield rate/wait (taking longer).
Promethean classes have improved speed and jump height, slightly reduced damage (Light Rifle is still a 4 to 5-shot), and a shield wait/rate between UNSC and Covenant.

Ordnance would appear as Personal and Global. Personal Ordnance would be restricted to marksman weapons (DMR / Needle Rifle / Phase Rifle), Ammo Resupplies, and AA Resupplies. Global Ordnance would be a mix of power weapons and occasionally late-game vehicles at preset locations; much like Invasion Slayer, Global Ordnance must be locked down before use.

I gotta catch up as well... maybe tomorrow.

The missions are pretty interesting, but some of the "New locations" they bragged about are just Ripped from Campaign and have Objectives added to them.

on a side note: I went to /r/Halo and didnt get downvoted for once. Hooray, i guess.

Nazgul11

Hey all. I haven't been in this thread for a while, since I've been busy...but if anyone would be kind enough to, ya know, catch me up on a couple of things, that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Has Ghost or anyone said anything about when v2 is supposed to be released? I can't take insta-spawns on Gamebattles for much longer.

2. There's still no date for the title update, is there?

3. What's the latest on a Destiny reveal? GDC? Before GDC? (I know they at least have a presentation at GDC)

BONUS QUESTION: What is this even from?

Haha, anyways, thanks in advance guys.

Moa

Hey all. I haven't been in this thread for a while, since I've been busy...but if anyone would be kind enough to, ya know, catch me up on a couple of things, that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Has Ghost or anyone said anything about when v2 is supposed to be released? I can't take insta-spawns on Gamebattles for much longer.

2. There's still no date for the title update, is there?

3. What's the latest on a Destiny reveal? GDC? Before GDC? (I know they at least have a presentation at GDC)

BONUS QUESTION: What is this even from?

Haha, anyways, thanks in advance guys.

1. Still in playtesting, I assume it will come out after the TU, depending on if they announce gametype fixes.
2. Late february is all we know, likely alongside the Majestic Map Pack release.
3. Unknown, all we know is the GDC presentation.
BONUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cq7AWEWrlcM

Nazgul11

1. Still in playtesting, I assume it will come out after the TU, depending on if they announce gametype fixes.
2. Late february is all we know, likely alongside the Majestic Map Pack release.
3. Unknown, all we know is the GDC presentation.
BONUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cq7AWEWrlcM

Thanks!

So the TU is actually still locked in for February? I assumed that it got bumped to March since we still don't have a date.

lol at the Bravo video. I guess this means they're still working on vidocs?

Interesting editorial on Penny Arcade (relevant to recent discussion):

Why demos could cut your sales in half, and how Diablo 3 broke adventuring

Discusses the effects of purchasing rewards for games instead of earning them or working towards them and how this can affect longevity of the playerbase. Also, something of a sad commentary on the quality of "AAA" games.

Here’s where it goes weird. The top line, the games with just a trailer, sold the best out of this group by a large margin.

“Wait, you mean we spent all this money making a demo and getting it out there and it cut our sales in half?” Schell asked. “Yes, that’s exactly what happened to you because when you put the demo out, people had seen the trailer and they’re like that’s cool, and they made a plan. They had to try that game. And then they played the demo. Alright, I tried the game, that was okay, alright I’m done. But the games with no demo, you have to buy it if you want to try it. These plans make a big difference.”

I would argue that while the planning and anticipation probably does play a role, there are too many times lately where I've played a demo and thought "Wow, that wasn't that fun. Glad I didn't buy that."

We often wonder if Halo 4 would have done better or worse with a beta (demo). Perhaps this was a targeted marketing decision to increase sales. This, combined with the pointlessness of the majority of unlocks/exclusives stuck out to me.

Moa

Thanks!

So the TU is actually still locked in for February? I assumed that it got bumped to March since we still don't have a date.

lol at the Bravo video. I guess this means they're still working on vidocs?

As far as we know, they've been saying late february for a while now, bs angel even said she'd try to get some TU info this week for us.

Not seeing his face was sort of the whole thematic point. The skull was his face.

Yes, but it would have been great to get a little bit more character growth from him, He seemed like the only one that didn't have a bit of growth (not saying there was much growth from the squad. well maybe Jorge.)

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes, but it would have been great to get a little bit more character growth from him, He seemed like the only one that didn't have a bit of growth (not saying there was much growth from the squad. well maybe Jorge.)

Agreed. This squad is going through the downfall of Reach and they don't change at all during it.

just watched the spops episode, actual spoilers ahead

I CANT BELIEVE PALMER SHOT HALSEY

glad i waited it to watch it at home and not on my phone.

The main problem with the Reach campaign is that you never notice the downfall until the 'Lone Wolf' mission. I never got the impression that we were losing the planet. Yes, Noble Team was alone all the time, but that was also the case during the first mission, so I thought it was normal.

There wan no human life on the planet or signs of a populated civilization. In order for a player to feel like they're losing, there has to be something to lose in the first place.

GhaleonEB

Interesting editorial on Penny Arcade (relevant to recent discussion):

Why demos could cut your sales in half, and how Diablo 3 broke adventuring

Discusses the effects of purchasing rewards for games instead of earning them or working towards them and how this can affect longevity of the playerbase. Also, something of a sad commentary on the quality of "AAA" games.
Great article. It's my only worry about Destiny, and one of the things I'm looking for as it's announced and gets ready to launch. I don't think Bungie would parcel out content like we've been seeing if they had the choice. But Activision.

(Their Skyrim reference was spot on as well.)

Toa TAK

Banned
The main problem with the Reach campaign is that you never notice the downfall until the 'Lone Wolf' mission. I never got the impression that we were losing the planet. Yes, Noble Team was alone all the time, but that was also the case during the first mission, so I thought it was normal.

There wan no human life on the planet or signs of a populated civilization. In order for a player to feel like they're losing, there has to be something to lose in the first place.

Not even during LNOS, New Alexandria, or Exodus?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I do dammit.

Kat changes from cold and hostile to vulnerable and in need of emotional support just in time to get donkey punched by a lone Nerfle round. Seems to be a commentary that Spartans can't change unless they want to lose their purpose and by extension their lives.

Jorge, the most kind, reveals his unrelenting drive to keep his home safe just before he takes out the biggest Covenant ship in the entire franchise. A demolitions expert, he dies in a massive implosion.

Kat warms up to Six if only out of fear immediately before her death. The expert on intel and overly curious loses her knowledge - by getting a bullet straight through her neural implant.

Carter finally accepts Six as one of his own displaying that even the leader views himself as equal with his men just in time to bite it. The captain goes down with his ship.

Emile, unrelenting in his stoic (if fervent) demeanor, survives the longest - and ultimately gets killed because he decided to go out of his element, arming a mass driver rather than fighting on the front lines. The CQB expert is stabbed in the chest.

Six is a special case; she starts out a lone wolf, but becomes one with her team. It's not until it's ripped away from her that she diverts back to her old personality and gets herself killed. The player character, a literal window into the universe, ultimately loses their insight piece by piece before abandoning it and getting overwhelmed after doing so.

Jun is debatable; he stayed pretty much the same throughout the story, and as a result survives until past the game, ultimately getting killed by some stray Elites while attempting to guard Halsey.

Chief decided to stop being a machine and look at what it made him lose.

Top Bottom