• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Kat changes from cold and hostile to vulnerable and in need of emotional support just in time to get donkey punched by a lone Nerfle round. Seems to be a commentary that Spartans can't change unless they want to lose their purpose and by extension their lives.

Jorge, the most kind, reveals his unrelenting drive to keep his home safe just before he takes out the biggest Covenant ship in the entire franchise. A demolitions expert, he dies in a massive implosion.

Kat warms up to Six if only out of fear immediately before her death. The expert on intel and overly curious loses her knowledge - by getting a bullet straight through her neural implant.

Carter finally accepts Six as one of his own displaying that even the leader views himself as equal with his men just in time to bite it. The captain goes down with his ship.

Emile, unrelenting in his stoic (if fervent) demeanor, survives the longest - and ultimately gets killed because he decided to go out of his element, arming a mass driver rather than fighting on the front lines. The CQB expert is stabbed in the chest.

Six is a special case; she starts out a lone wolf, but becomes one with her team. It's not until it's ripped away from her that she diverts back to her old personality and gets herself killed. The player character, a literal window into the universe, ultimately loses their insight piece by piece before abandoning it and getting overwhelmed after doing so.

Jun is debatable; he stayed pretty much the same throughout the story, and as a result survives until past the game, ultimately getting killed by some stray Elites while attempting to guard Halsey.

Chief decided to stop being a machine and look at what it made him lose.

The death wasn't Jun. it was a Female spartan II. Jun is alive as far as we know.

Not even during LNOS, New Alexandria, or Exodus?

Not really. I was killing everyone in the mission and completing all my objectives. Don't know what the other Spartans were doing. Nice to know that I died for a guy who was sleeping on a big ship though.

Really though, I never go the sense I was losing. If the whole game had the vibe 'Lone Wolf' did, it would possibly be better than CE.

Toa TAK

Banned
Kat changes from cold and hostile to vulnerable and in need of emotional support just in time to get donkey punched by a lone Nerfle round. Seems to be a commentary that Spartans can't change unless they want to lose their purpose and by extension their lives.

Jorge, the most kind, reveals his unrelenting drive to keep his home safe just before he takes out the biggest Covenant ship in the entire franchise. A demolitions expert, he dies in a massive implosion.

Kat warms up to Six if only out of fear immediately before her death. The expert on intel and overly curious loses her knowledge - by getting a bullet straight through her neural implant.

Carter finally accepts Six as one of his own displaying that even the leader views himself as equal with his men just in time to bite it. The captain goes down with his ship.

Emile, unrelenting in his stoic (if fervent) demeanor, survives the longest - and ultimately gets killed because he decided to go out of his element, arming a mass driver rather than fighting on the front lines. The CQB expert is stabbed in the chest.
The issue with all of this is that, beyond the deaths, 90% of thier characterizations were so subtle. Imagine in Halo 4 if Cortana and Master Chief's growth were done like that. Including: meaningful conversations between the two, Cortana's demise, and Cheif's final line to himself, realizing what he was missing all along.

..or gain.
His humanity.

Damn straight.

Great article. It's my only worry about Destiny, and one of the things I'm looking for as it's announced and gets ready to launch. I don't think Bungie would parcel out content like we've been seeing if they had the choice. But Activision.

(Their Skyrim reference was spot on as well.)

Yeah - this type of stuff has been a worrying trend that I've noticed in recent years. The first time I noticed in person was some DLC that was being doled out for one of the NFS games. It was pretty in-your-face about it. "Pay us money and get cars and shit unlocked that normally takes playing the game to get." All I could remember was thinking "if you're not going to play it, then why buy the game?" It appears some people are actually coming around to that mindset as well.

The other part of the trend I first noticed in the later Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. People complained because not all of the songs were available from the get-go. There are some logical thoughts behind this because casual players (to use a terrible term) just want to play some songs and don't care about a difficulty progression. Other people who enjoyed the challenge of the original games and the reward of newer/better/more difficult songs (I consider myself part of this group) were left with tacked on modes that felt completionist at best and were no longer anything close to relevant to the core gameplay.

In the second case, they're not letting you pay for the content to unlock (in reality paying for something twice), but it's almost more unfortunate because there is no effort or consequence involved whatsoever.

/rant
/after-lunch thoughts on game design

Not even during LNOS, New Alexandria, or Exodus?

You dont feel it because you spent most of the time doing spec ops instead of fighting on the fronlines, maybe in Exodus when you are riding the Falcon and saw the ODST decimated by brutes.

Six is a special case; she starts out a lone wolf, but becomes one with her team. It's not until it's ripped away from her that she diverts back to her old personality and gets herself killed. The player character, a literal window into the universe, ultimately loses their insight piece by piece before abandoning it and getting overwhelmed after doing so.

Jun is debatable; he stayed pretty much the same throughout the story, and as a result survives until past the game, ultimately getting killed by some stray Elites while attempting to guard Halsey.

Chief decided to stop being a machine and look at what it made him lose.

*sigh* if Only Bungie were good developing their Characters.....

Microsoft could easily do a Halo branch with Noble Team or any spartan team, experiment 343i's mechanics in that branch and leave the main Halo saga with the best features like Activision is doing with Treyart and IW.

darthbob

ReachConcept_-_Emile.png

His face

It's not like it's canon though.

Spartan Ops:
  • It's a weird structural thing that 343I end up having to make everyone kind of stupid to get the content out of it. The amount of cavalier 'just press these Forerunner buttons and lets find out what happens' is crazy.
  • I think 343 should consider dropping the mission count to 3 chapters per episode and put that extra time/money/resources into making each chapter matter more, blowing out the SpOps feature set and increasing polish.
  • The chapter I played, the final chapter of the Episode had no FRGs. That's more like it 343.
P.S. I wonder if Palmer will finally perish next week. Although I'm afraid they'll do it in a cheesy *She suddenly saves Halsey, sacrifices herself, and Halsey tells her 'You are a true Spartan'*

kylej

Banned
Spartan Ops was a mistake. One of those things that sounds great on paper but falls apart in practice. Live and learn. It's a shame we had features from previous games razed in order to get this wonky mode in tho..

Spartan Ops:
  • It's a weird structural thing that 343I end up having to make everyone kind of stupid to get the content out of it. The amount of cavalier 'just press these Forerunner buttons and lets find out what happens' is crazy.
  • I think 343 should consider dropping the mission count to 3 chapters per episode and put that extra time/money/resources into making each chapter matter more, blowing out the SpOps feature set and increasing polish.
  • The chapter I played, the final chapter of the Episode had no FRGs. That's more like it 343.
P.S. I wonder if Palmer will finally perish next week. Although I'm afraid they'll do it in a cheesy *She suddenly saves Halsey, sacrifices herself, and Halsey tells her 'You are a true Spartan'*
That would be a slap in the face to the fans.

Wait, Destiny was shown?

When I stopped playing Halo 4, I stopped visiting the gaming side.

So I don't know about videogames anymore.

Thanks, Fronkles.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Jun is not dead. Is this a Halo myth that gets perpetuated all the time now?

I'd say that about a lot of the decisions they made.

Speaking of getting slapped in the face, they've doubled down on turning me off Silentium.
I'm just glad it's not a 25 character code in each copy.

------------------------------------------------------------
If the Kinect 2 must be plugged in at all times, how do MS justify that?
As in when a reporter asks them why, what do they say?

MS PR confuse me. It's crazy early days yet, but this new bit would almost be more surprising to me than the second hand games feature.

I refuse to accept this. 343 can't have two completely useless "main" characters in one game, so Palmer needs to have a role somewhere or at least give it enough time to make her death important to the fans. I'm still not over Del Rio..

Spartan Ops was a mistake. One of those things that sounds great on paper but falls apart in practice. Live and learn. It's a shame we had features from previous games razed in order to get this wonky mode in tho..

Spartan Ops should've been tools added to s FF/Forge hybrid IMO; mission structures and the like.

If FF doesn't go pvp I probably won't care for its return, but that doesn't mean I think it shouldn't return. They should look to Gears' Overrun mode in Judgment for inspiration if it were to come back with FF Versus.

image.php

I'd say that about a lot of the decisions they made.

Speaking of getting slapped in the face, they've doubled down on turning me off Silentium.
I'm just glad it's not a 25 character code in each copy.

------------------------------------------------------------
If the Kinect 2 must be plugged in at all times, how do MS justify that?
As in when a reporter asks them why, what do they say?

MS PR confuse me. It's crazy early days yet, but this new bit would almost be more surprising to me than the second hand games feature.

Its all rumors until MS says something offficial. Plus Kinect isnt that much of a detrement IMO because most people that have it ignore it when playing core games. now if Halo 5 or 4 with a patch had optional voice commands like the Scanner and Library thing, I wouldn't be upset.

Online co-op doesn't work in Halo, either fix that or stop.

It Half works. Iv played great games of it with very local friends.

I don't understand this at all. It hasn't worked since Halo 3 and it's still the same situation? What's the problem here? 5 years and little progress has been made to the Halo franchise since Halo 3. 5. years.

Five.

I don't understand it. Why Halo?

It worked in Reach.

I'd like to play your version of Reach lol

Hope I'm not annoying with the tease, but on the topic of Halo co-op: Yesterday I posted how depressed I was on my birthday. Not a few hours later, lo and behold, one amazing person comes in and saves the day. Probably the most fun I've ever had in Halo 3 co-op. Picture story incoming when I snap the screenshots and get them screen-grabbed. Will feel great to post something substantial about Halo (haven't done it in a while).

Probably the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Took my mind off all my troubles, and I was so happy.

Karl2177

Hope I'm not annoying with the tease, but on the topic of Halo co-op: Yesterday I posted how depressed I was on my birthday. Not a few hours later, lo and behold, one amazing person comes in and saves the day. Probably the most fun I've ever had in Halo 3 co-op. Picture story incoming when I snap the screenshots and get them screen-grabbed. Will feel great to post something substantial about Halo (haven't done it in a while).

Probably the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Took my mind off all my troubles.

I was going to ask for an invite, but I saw that I left my campaign disc at home.

Sup.
Sup. Sup.

It's people confusing the fan comic "A Fistful of Arrows" with canon.

What? I thought Jun died because one of the book re-issues added in a bit about a "demon" dying trying to save Halsey and just assumed it was him, given he was assigned to protect her and all.

Online co-op doesn't work in Halo, either fix that or stop.

Coop in Halo 4 is bad.

-No default loadout.
-When you die, Loadouts suddenly changes depending of the area and level.
-Enemies dont know how to deal with several players like the promethean knight.
-Enemies should use his special abilities and weapons more often in coop.
-You can survive one hit kills more often in coop.
-You can run to avoid battles, and instant teleport your teammates, saving you most of the encounters which somewhat screw first time players.
-If one of your teammates is teleporting your group and you are riding a vehicle, you will have a bad time.
-no special coop areas, just run and kill.

Merguson

Banned
Great article. It's my only worry about Destiny, and one of the things I'm looking for as it's announced and gets ready to launch. I don't think Bungie would parcel out content like we've been seeing if they had the choice. But Activision.

(Their Skyrim reference was spot on as well.)

I don't think there will be anything like the Auction House in Destiny but if the leaked contract between Bungie and Activision holds true, then there are major plans for downloadable content, and even alluding to micro-transactions.

So I think content will definitely be parceled out, probably just not as obvious as Diablo 3 or Dead Space 3 or whatever.

Probably has something to do with the Xbox only allowing a certain amount of up and down bandwidth even though these days most people have much higher than it allows. Possibly? I dunno ping might never allow the lockstep model to be a truly viable idea?

My FF games in Reach were hit and miss but it occassionally worked pretty well. I liked FF, wish they would have expanded upon that system instead of basically starting anew.

The thing about DIII, is you never HAVE to spend money on anything, everything you can buy can also possibly come in the form of a drop. I'm pretty well geared and I havent put a dime into the game. In fact if I cashed out correctly and slowly and nailed each piece I could probably get 200-300 dollars. And this is how all of these games should be, they should never force you to pay for stuff, after you buy the game. I have no problem with a game that does that.

Havok

How's Team Objective apart from Ragnarok KOTH? Is it gametype/map voting, or is each voting round a solitary gametype and you vote on the map? Please, please be the latter.
I don't think this has been answered yet. It's mixed voting rounds, not segregated by gametype.

That playlist (along with Flag) are Moron Central today. Guests ruining games left and right. Why aren't they limited to one playlist they can shit up again?

Edit: Aaaand Infinity CTF has ruined the Flag playlist for me, I think. Two of the three slots have been Infinity 90% of the time I search, leaving one slot open that is filled with Abandon or Complex half the time. That was the playlist that was closest to something I could call home in Halo 4, but I think I'm done with it.

Tawpgun

It Half works. Iv played great games of it with very local friends.

It's just weird. I played coop with a friend while we were both on at school using the same university internet.

Worst input lag I've ever had, not an exaggeration.

As much as I love Bungie, I want a Destiny Leak

kylej

Banned
Instead of Spartan Ops, the campaign should have randomly generated terrain/environments for the large encounters. So even if the beginning, end, and linear hallways through a level are mostly the same every time, the large spaces you fight multiple enemies in would be more unique. There should also be a Left 4 Dead style Director system that increases and decreases enemy spawns dynamically to keep you on your toes.

Then you bring back Firefight classic for slower, more relaxed gameplay, but in addition, I'd create a new mode that leverages all the "Infinity" stuff that they keep shoehorning into matchmaking. Basically I envision it as being like Horde mode meets CoD's One In The Chamber or Burnout's Crash mode, but ramped up even more, so that instead of sitting there teabagging the ground waiting for dropships to come in and slowly pour the same enemies out over and over again, you would have this hyper-fast gametype where power weapons are falling from the sky, overshields appear ever 30 seconds, you move at 200% speed, enemies are super aggressive and appear in waves as far as the eye can see, and you're gaining all sorts of XP and whatnot for it. I would want people to experience the same sort of tension they felt in RE4's cabin defense scene, or how you feel when you're in the game that decides whether you get your 50 or not. Make people sweat out each round and work together.

I also think it could be cool to have almost a tower-defense style mechanic, where the XP/money/whatever you get in each Firefight round could be used to build rudimentary structures or buy infantry (bots) to help you out. Make Firefight something more than a distraction.

I don't think there will be anything like the Auction House in Destiny but if the leaked contract between Bungie and Activision holds true, then there are major plans for downloadable content, and even alluding to micro-transactions.

So I think content will definitely be parceled out, probably just not as obvious as Diablo 3 or Dead Space 3 or whatever.

FWIW, the current Terms of Use page at Bungie.net mentions "Virtual Currency".

As far as microtransactions go, I think every company should aspire to what Valve has done with TF2. The way they find and promote community maps is fantastic, on top of the item creation tools and storefront they built. I'm not sure how that could translate to a story-based FPS or RPG, but it's certainly something to learn from.

As much as I love Bungie, I want a Destiny Leak
The leaks we've gotten so far have been pretty tame (a contract and some concept art), but I don't want anything more than that. They've been dark so long I imagine they have something really neat planned for the reveal and I'd hate to see the impact softened by some asshole in a barn.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Played some Meltdown snipes. Spent 90% of the time sprinting around, trying to find people. Ya, I quit out.

Abandon snipes was pretty nice though. Glad they used the updated version of Abandon too.

Top Bottom